Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Top Gear presented by Chris Harris...

It used to be that we saw the same episode one day later on BBC America, but looks like this is not the case this year.  Anyone know the story for USA??

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Instead of following day, looks like we get it months later crying

http://www.bbcamerica.com/video-extras/all-new-top-gear-premieres-april-25

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

^ I'm using Nord VPN to connect to Great Britain and watch it on BBC iPlayer.

Got a chance to see the first episode and was disappointed. Hopefully they get better in the next ones but the Rory bit in the Suzuki Ignis, yes Suzuki Ignis, was completely stupid and boring. How they put something like that on the first episode is beyond me. Actually why even put Rory in the show, I cannot relate to this guy at all.

sho Chris vs Matt bit was better but I get the races are all scripted but at least try to make an effort to make the timelines seem reasonably believable when you edit them.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Yup - sadly the BBC having shot the golden goose, is now taking the show far too seriously. I still think some of the cinematography is fantastic, the locations are awesome, but the presenters are a real turn-off. Harris still looks uncomfortable in his role, Matt LB believes himself to be a comic, the whiney German lady is nauseating (voice akin to nails on a blackboard) and the other bloke reminds me of a children's presenter. New broom can't come soon enough. 

--

991 Carrera Black Edition, XC90 Black\Black - 2 kids, 1 dog

The sound of the glorious V12 in the Lusso alone made it a worthwhile watch. Just reinforced for me that there are V12s.....and then there is everything else.

That was indeed the highlight, they captured the sound of the Lusso very well.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Watchable with Harris and Leblanc, cringe-fest with Sabine and Rory. I find The Grand Tour miles better at the moment.

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

BBC Top Gear TV, series 26, episode 2 preview...  1550096185373image.gif

Episode 2 of Top Gear series 26 airs on Sunday 24 February at 8pm on BBC Two and BBC iPlayer. Here’s what’s coming up…

Better than the train

The government has a plan to speed up business in Britain. It’s called HS2, a high-speed train line between London and the North, and is expected to cost about 56 billion pounds. Chris Harris has a cheaper plan to speed up business in Britain. Buy the whole of Manchester new BMW M5s. Which, yes, would cost less than HS2. And it’ll get you from London to Manchester quicker than the government’s shiny new train. Assuming you’re allowed to break a few speed limits on the way, which we’re pretty sure they’ll be fine about.

Versa-tuk-tuk-tility

What’s the most versatile vehicle on the planet? According to Matt LeBlanc, it’s the good ol’ pickup truck, the good ol’ American icon that’ll do the good ol’ school run, help you move good ol’ house, and do a spot of loggin’ and huntin’ for good ol’ measure. But according to Chris Harris, the most versatile car in the world is something rather tinier.

Specifically, it’s the humble tuk-tuk, the three-wheeled motorised rickshaw that ferries much of Asia about its daily life. 

And to prove to our sceptical American just how very multi-faceted the tiny tuk-tuk is, Chris volunteered to take Matt on a road trip across its natural habitat: Sri Lanka. The tropical island known, according to this guidebook we’ve just opened, as the Teardrop of India…

A landscape of dense jungle, craggy mountains, white-sand beaches and – of particular excitement to Matt – elephants, big hulking pachydermic friends. Turns out Matt really, really likes elephants.

Anyhow, tuk-tuks. Having bought a couple, what better way to test their versatility than with a race across a tea plantation? And a polo match? And an ascent of Sri Lanka’s most notorious mountain track?

And crossing a bridge which, in fact, turned out not to be a bridge at all but rather a medium-sized ocean?

This week’s guest is musician Professor Green. Don’t forget: Sunday night, 8pm on BBC Two and BBC iPlayer

Link:  https://www.topgear.com/car-news/top-gear-tv/preview-episode-2-top-gear-tv-series-26

smiley

I'm starting having problems with Harris being directed to be a variant of Hammond.

The difference between "our" Harris and "Top Gear Harris" is evident.

Harris got a bit boring lately or is it just me? He was much more enthusiastic in the past. Or maybe I'm just imagining it. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Haven't watched Top Gear since the Clarkson, Hammond & May days.

This was the sort of thing we'll never get again...mail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN-ChMp4uR4

--

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out."

RC:

Harris got a bit boring lately or is it just me? He was much more enthusiastic in the past. Or maybe I'm just imagining it. 

I think it's the downside of being on TV. Higher pay check but he is forced to follow a scripted character/content Smiley

He was more enjoyable to watch on Youtube.

I've been enjoying the latest series of Top Gear! Smiley There was even a test by Chris Harris of the BMW M5... Smiley

For those looking for traditional car reviews, it's also worth watching the "Chris Harris Drives" videos on YouTube...  1538770913308image.gif

1551292450827image.jpeg

1551292472621image.jpeg

1551292492385image.jpeg

1551292503502image.jpeg

Link:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVf811yyyVnMm7iFjekLejjh4TVJXm6Vt

Smiley

BBC Top Gear TV, series 26, episode 3 preview...  1550096185373image.gif

The Porsche 911 GT2 RS

A few years back, Porsche made a car called the 911 GT2 RS. It was very fast, very powerful, very scary and immediately christened ‘The Widowmaker’. Now, Porsche is back with a new 911 GT2 RS, which is faster and much more powerful than the old Widowmaker.

So just how damn scary is it? Chris Harris pops some brave pills and takes to the Top Gear track to find out, with the help of some truly biblical weather conditions, and the patented Top Gear Fearometer 3000: a new-fangled gadget that quantifies panic by measuring the emissions of the driver.

Fast Renault hatches

Renault’s back catalogue contains some of the finest, maddest hot hatches of all. Daft, bewinged creations with all the subtlety of a rhinoceros in a particularly loud Hawaiian shirt.

Now there’s a new flagship Renault hot hatch out – the Megane RS – but Rory’s worried it’s all gone a bit… sensible. So he set out to see if the new car has that old Renault craziness beneath the surface… with the aid of some leftover scraps of cardboard, and a roll of duct tape.

The Bentley Continental GT

Reviewing a new car has, traditionally, been a solitary task. One presenter, sat behind the wheel, telling you what he or she thinks of said car. But the Top Gear producers, in their infinite wisdom, thought it might be funny to find out what happens when you tell two presenters to review the same, single car. At the same time…

So Matt and Chris were told both to head to Spain and review the 200-mile-an-hour Bentley Continental GT. Two presenters, one car. And, apart from the occasional actual physical fight, it all went surprisingly well.

At least until Chris decided to spice things up by inviting along a Le Mans-winning racecar for good measure.

Episode 3’s Star in a Reasonably Fast Car is Gregory Porter. Tune in Sunday at 8pm UK on BBC Two and BBC iPlayer

Link:  https://www.topgear.com/car-news/top-gear-tv/preview-top-gear-series-26-episode-3

Smiley

HTopspeed:
    RC:

I think it's the downside of being on TV. Higher pay check but he is forced to follow a scripted character/content Smiley

He was more enjoyable to watch on Youtube.

He still delivers YouTube content and that is still a good watch. Agree the Top Gear role is less pleasant.

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Looking forward to seeing Chris Harris on Top Gear driving the Porsche 911 GT2 RS...  1538770913308image.gif

...turn up the volume! Smiley

...thanks and credit to Chris Harris! Smiley

"A new level of hooliganery"

I turned up the volume but it seems someone in the video is using a vacuum cleaner and I can't hear the car...  smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:

I turned up the volume but it seems someone in the video is using a vacuum cleaner and I can't hear the car...  smiley

Ouch!

RC:

Didn't you hear the good sound of the Performante, several miles behind...? SmileySmiley

^You don't hear so much of the surroundings inside a GT2RS   :-)

1551649285550image.jpeg

1551649298954image.jpeg

1551648598857image.jpeg

Boyko23:
    RC:

Didn't you hear the good sound of the Performante, several miles behind...? SmileySmiley

Nah, the Performante was several miles ahead because Chris Harris used up all that water injection coolant during his trial runs... Smiley

--

Top Gear series 26, episode 4 preview

"A Hands-Free Drag Race"

(8 March 2019)

Coming up on episode 4 of Top Gear series 26, a drag race: three luxo-barges against one Dacia Sandero in a hands-free drag race. Things get… messy. Tune in Sunday, 8pm, BBC Two and BBC iPlayer

Link:   https://www.topgear.com/videos/top-gear-tv/top-gear-series-26-episode-4-hands-free-drag-race

Smiley

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Top Gear series 26, episode 4 preview

"A Hands-Free Drag Race"

(8 March 2019)

Coming up on episode 4 of Top Gear series 26, a drag race: three luxo-barges against one Dacia Sandero in a hands-free drag race. Things get… messy. Tune in Sunday, 8pm, BBC Two and BBC iPlayer

Link:   https://www.topgear.com/videos/top-gear-tv/top-gear-series-26-episode-4-hands-free-drag-race

Smiley

Preview: Top Gear series 26, episode 4

The cheapest new car you can buy in the UK is the Dacia Sandero. It costs a very reasonable six thousand pounds. Or at least it did when we made the film, though Dacia has very selfishly decided to put the price up by a grand since then – largely, we suspect, to spite us.

Anyhow, for six or indeed seven grand, the Dacia Sandero is indubitably a very reasonable car. But, reckoned our presenters, for that sort of money, you can have something with so much more character. Heritage. Pedigree.

So, each armed with a Sandero-sized amount of money, Matt, Chris and Rory each set out to buy a car of genuinely aristocratic bearing. Something from the likes of Rolls-Royce, Bentley and Mercedes-Benz…

Purchases secured – purchases that, in some instances, even moved under their own steam for a distance of several metres – our presenters were told to report to the Top Gear test track for a series of challenges. Against the Sandero. Driven by The Stig. Who, it’s fair to say, isn’t a great fan of budget Romanian hatchbacks. And, as if that wasn’t enough to kill their ‘classics’ once and for all, there was then the small matter of a six-hour endurance race at Silverstone.

Cue one of Top Gear’s most car-punishing films of recent times.

Episode 4’s Star in a Reasonably Fast Car is Matt Baker. Tune in Sunday, 8pm on BBC Two and BBC iPlayer.

Link: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/top-gear-tv/preview-top-gear-series-26-episode-4

1552170150971image.gif 

"Preview: Top Gear series 26, episode 5"

As British as Queen Victoria

Unless you’re talking ‘bulldog wearing a top hat and a Union Jack waistcoat, woofing the national anthem from atop Buckingham Palace’, you can’t get more British than an Aston Martin, right?

Not so right. Because the new Aston Martin V8 Vantage is powered by a Mercedes-Benz engine, and borrows lots of other clever Mercedes bits to help it go faster. And if you want a two-seat sports car with lots of German bits, you could always have a Merc-AMG GT. Same price, same power, fully German.

So, German-Brit or German-German? Matt LeBlanc heads out on the Top Gear test track to decide.

Simply the best?

Manufacturers love to make bold claims about their latest creations – the fastest, the cheapest, the most economical – but here’s a doozy. Rolls-Royce claims that its new £360,000 Phantom is nothing less than ‘the best car in the world’.

So, reckoned Rory, if it really is the best car in the world, it’s got to be the best at doing absolutely everything, right? To find out if it indeed was, Rory subjected the new Phant to a thorough, and thoroughly British, road test. By diligently canvassing the opinion of some Londoners, and some Instagrammers, and some cows.

Small car versus supercar

The new Ford Fiesta ST is a very good little car. But is it better than a £300,000, 700bhp Lamborghini Aventador? Well, according to Chris Harris, yes, yes it is. To prove his point, Chris took the quite affordable Fiesta and the quite unaffordable Lamborghini on a big trip across Wales. And up through a particularly narrow multi-storey car park, because it’s a proper consumer test. And around a race track, because it’s Chris Harris.

Episode 5’s Star in a Reasonably Fast Car is Stephen Mangan. Tune in 8pm, Sunday night on BBC Two and BBC iPlayer

Link:  https://www.topgear.com/car-news/top-gear-tv/preview-top-gear-series-26-episode-5

Smiley

Bubble wrap. That is a good idea!!

Here’s your first look at the next series of Top Gear! (Series 27 preview)

1553027081421image.jpeg

(17 March 2019)

As the latest series of Top Gear reached its conclusion on BBC Two, here’s a little slice of what we’ve got coming up next. Filming is already well under way with the new cast of Paddy McGuinness, Freddie Flintoff and Chris Harris, and Top Gear series 27 is due to launch this Summer.

In an early sequence from the new series, Paddy tries to convince Freddie and Chris that the ultimate second-hand family car is, in fact, a hearse.

Spacious, carefully driven, very cheap. So they buy a 1995 Daimler hearse for £1,300, carry out some not-so-subtle modifications (lots of power, lots of blue paint) and head to a Welsh rally course to put the newly-dubbed ‘Undertaker’ through its paces. Things, predictably, don’t go according to plan.

Top Gear returns to BBC Two this summer. Probably.

Link: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/top-gear-tv/heres-your-first-look-next-series-top-gear

Smiley

It’s a real shame Matt LeBlanc has left, his personality raised TG from mediocrity created by the awful Chris Evans. Jury is out on the new series I’m afraid. 

The last episode was pretty good in parts, the comparison  between the Fiesta ST and Aventador pretty relevant, the big Lambo and supercars like it are totally irrelevant here sadly. Although our Boxster GTS is a keeper I can’t see me ever getting another car of that price, our Golf GTI has been a real eye opener, so good it covers virtually all bases in today’s crowded and broken UK roads - and the Golf, deservedly won the best in class category on TG

--

Porsche Boxster 981 GTS Carrara white / VW Golf GTI 5dr DSG Tornado Red

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691065 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410186 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256236 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235422 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65750 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4746 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858827 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775134 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM