Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019) - short "review"

As some of you may have noticed, we got ourselves a new Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (MY2019 Germany). Mainly for my daughter, she turns 18 soon and will get her driver's license but my wife and me will drive this car, especially in winter time, as well. It replaces our Mini Cooper JCW.

Yes, the Range Rover Evoque is no sportscar but I think we have enough fast cars in the family. Smiley

The Evoque model we've chosen is the Si4 Black Edition with a 240 hp WLTP(!) compliant engine and the 9 speed automatic transmission.

Performance is better than expected, 0-100 kph in 7.3 seconds, Vmax is 221 kph. Not bad for a small SUV but it doesn't really feel that fast, probably because it weights 1.8 tons. 

The car doesn't really feel like a slouch but it has some throttle lag, especially if you fully accelerate at any given moment. There is a S (Sport) setting which enhances throttle response and shifting and it provides a huge (though not sensational) improvement but this is not something a beginner, like my daughter, would be fond of since the throttle response is a bit too direct and the car would get faster than expected. My daughter already tried and switched back to D, which is kind of safer for beginners. It is good to have this option though, especially for me.

The Black Edition model is pretty well equipped, there is not much additional stuff you really need for the car. The car has a price of slightly over 54000 EUR (incl. 19% German VAT).

I guess Landrover wants to sell as many Evoque as possible before the new model comes out around April next year as a MY2020 car (Germany).

Since we live in Bavaria, I already mounted winter tires, the Dunlop Winter Sport 5 SUV 235/60 R18H and they seem to be great for the car, at least on dry and wet pavement. Surprisingly "sporty". Haven't tried them in the snow yet but the reviews are excellent and since I've chosen the H speed index version, it should be amazing in snow.

The Evoque is surprisingly agile for a SUV, there is basically no side roll and the seats are quite good as well with some decent side hold in curves.

The steering is surprisingly direct and comfortable (not too light, not too firm) at the same time, very good setup.

Interior quality look and feel is also excellent, incl. leather seats. Not at Porsche Macan level but worthy for a 54k car.

The entertainment system with touchscreen and standard navigation (Black Edition) works very fast and is easy to use but unfortunately there is no CarPlay or Android Auto. The Bluetooth audio streaming feature, a USB port and a microSD card slot are nice alternatives though.

PRO

- Nice and quiet turbo petrol engine, fuel consumption around 10 liters / 100 km on average (at full throttle on the Autobahn, you can easily hit 17 liters though). Real life range under normal (mixed) driving conditions is slightly over 600 km, which isn't bad at all.

- Very good steering setup (direct but still comfortable, not too light).

- Sporty chassis with a quite comfortable setup but with a perfect amount of stiffness (in my opinion but I like stiff suspensions). 

- Very good Xenon front lights.

- Infotainment system (touch screen) is easy to use, responsive and fast.

- Car feels solid and safe to drive, good driving position with a good overlook.

- inControl app (registration required) which shows you various status reports (alarm, doors open/locked, fuel consumption, last GPS position of car, etc.) on your smartphone.

- Car key allows to turn on lights or the alarm, which can be helpful at night.

- Huge panoramic roof (standard on Black Edition) which provides a more "roomy" feel for the rear passengers

- Comfortable adjustable (leather) front seats.

- Trunk not huge but usable.

- Nicely working A/C (auto)

- Various Off-Road settings (button) available, car is fully off-road capable.

CONTRA

- Basically no exhaust sound, not that it is really needed on such a car.

- Rear seats not that comfy, especially on longer trips (third seat in the middle barely usable, unless you are a kid), they should be slightly more inclined to the back.

- Standard sound system (80W) sounds OK and even good when turned up loud but it lacks bass and could certainly need a subwoofer. I understand why manufacturers need to sell their premium audio systems but a cheap subwoofer would have done an excellent job to improve the sound.

- No Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, not even as a possible retrofit since the new Evoque comes out next year (2019) in April.

- The heated windshield is a great feature (standard with Black Edition cars) but unfortunately some people can see the fine wire web which often comes with this feature (I have no issues with that since I am farsighted but my daughter has).

- Throttle lag in D mode, also the automatic transmission tends to take too much time to downshift. Not a problem in S mode.

- Handsfree option (phone) sometimes not loud enough when driving (noise).

- Panoramic roof cannot be opened.

- Fast acceleration up to 190 kph but then, it gets slow...

- High fuel consumption when driven full throttle on the Autobahn (over 17 liters /100 km).

CONCLUSION

The Evoque will be replaced by the next generation in 2019 but I think it is still a very nice small SUV for little money (if you are lucky to get a good lease deal right now) and since it's engine is already WLTP compliant (Germany), I think this car is a very nice choice, especially if you live in a region with snowy and rainy winters.

IMG_5044.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Re: Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019) - short "review"

Thanks for your initial impressions, it should be a great and very versatile car, I hope it proves trouble free ( here in the UK Motoring Which? survey reports 50% of owners have issues of one kind or another in the first year). I approve of your choice of colour, looks terrific! Smiley

--

Porsche Boxster 981 GTS Carrara white / VW Golf GTI 5dr DSG Tornado Red

dreamcar:

Thanks for your initial impressions, it should be a great and very versatile car. I also hope it proves reliable, here in the UK Motoring Which? survey reports 50% of owners have issues of one kind or another in the first year). I approve of your choice of colour! Smiley

--

Porsche Boxster 981 GTS Carrara white / VW Golf GTI 5dr DSG Tornado Red

Thank you. Smiley

The car we got is a MY2019 model with a couple of quality and technical improvements, especially regarding the automatic transmission and the engine. The WLTP compliance required a major overhaul of the engine and exhaust system, in the process, they also adapted the automatic transmission a little bit better, especially the software.

Let's knock on wood that this car proves to be reliable but most issues I read about were related to the electric system (it seems that when the battery is weak or is about to fail, the whole electric system of the car seems to be affected in very strange ways, causing many different issues but they go away installing a fresh battery). There were also issues with the software of the 9-speed auto tranny. No real reliability issues with newer cars, actually the Evoque is quite off-road capable, which surprised me quite a lot. Also, some Diesel engines had issues but the newer ones seem to be OK, especially since Landrover started to produce their own engines in that new super modern UK engine factory.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

congrats and enjoy!

Moser:

congrats and enjoy!

Thank you. Nice car for the city but I am missing the power and sound of my E63S (also CarPlay), so I am going back to it once I put a couple of hundreds of kms on it (Evoque). Smiley My wife will drive it a couple of weeks until her C63 S convertible arrives and then, mainly me and her during snowy days only and of course my daughter.

--

:):)

My wife drove the car for over 100 km today and came to the conclusion that it is a bit too fast for a beginner in her opinion. She is a bit worried now and blames me (I was the one who said the 180 hp Diesel may not be "safe" because it took forever to overtake a tractor from 30 to 70 kph). yes 

I get it, the car is no slouch but it isn't a race car either, so I am going to make sure that my daughter drives it "properly". Thank god she is a quiet type and scared of driving, so maybe she will be careful and if not, I will "bombard" her with driving training lessons anyway the moment she has her driver's license, so I think she's good. My son is probably a different story but he still has three years until he can drive without anyone sitting next to him. Enough time to think of something for him. 

Average fuel consumption now that my wife drove the car (Autobahn, a bit in the city) around 13 liters /100 km. Not bad for a small SUV. We both always turn off the Auto Off engine feature (it is annoying), so the car would probably consume a bit less with that feature left turned on. I usually drive in S mode, so fuel consumption is more around 14-15 liters now. I was able to get an average of 10 liters when I was very calm and even less on a country road at a constant speed of 100 kph. This is a 240 hp 2.0 l turbo engine moving a 1.8 t car, I think the consumption is OK. Our Mini Cooper JCW with automatic tranny had an average consumption of 12.6 l / 100 km and although it has a similar power (231 hp), it weights at least 300-400 kg less.

--

Has your daughter driven it and if so what are her impressions?

--

Being adventurous can be risky but routine is lethal.

nberry:

Has your daughter driven it and if so what are her impressions?

Yes, she has driven it and she loves it much better than the Mini JCW she has driven before, she likes especially the higher seating position and the less "sensitive" brake system. However, she has driven the cars in a controlled (restricted) environment only since she hasn't her driver's license yet. There is a special track for training, you can drive there any car starting at age 15. It is similar to normal road conditions, with traffic signs and even a wet surface portion and it gets even more real since other drivers drive there as well, so you need to be very careful. 

In Germany, you need to be 18 to drive a car without anyone sitting next to you (17 if a licensed driver over 25 sits next to you). Since my daughter had her final school exams this year, she couldn't do her driver's license exam earlier. She is still 17, gets 18 next month.

--

RC:

My wife drove the car for over 100 km today and came to the conclusion that it is a bit too fast for a beginner in her opinion. She is a bit worried now and blames me

Smiley  I said that before...Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    RC:

My wife drove the car for over 100 km today and came to the conclusion that it is a bit too fast for a beginner in her opinion. She is a bit worried now and blames me

Smiley  I said that before...Smiley

Not a problem since my daughter drove the Evoque already and feels pretty good about it. My son would be a different story but he dreams of a V8 RAM pickup truck (the one in the picture, a friend of ours in the US has the Rebel and my son fell in love with it) anyway. Smiley My wife promised him one if his marks are going to be good but I think I already know that she won't be able to keep this promise (a V8 pickup truck is a no go here in Germany, especially for a 18 year old). Also way too fast (0-100 kph in under 6 seconds), even if the top speed is limited to 175 kph or so. We'll find something nice for him but certainly not this car. Smiley Smiley

maxresdefault-7.jpg

--

A fast car is only fast if one step on the gas. Driver discipline.

My son drives the Golf R like it has only 60HP. 

--

Whoopsy:

True, very true.

I know you know your son better than anyone else but do you really think he is driving that slow? He would be one in a million... Smiley

--

RC:
    Whoopsy:

True, very true.

I know you know your son better than anyone else but do you really think he is driving that slow? He would be one in a million... Smiley

Actually yes. 

I ran into him on the street by accident and I followed him for a couple blocks without him seeing me. Smiley 

i was in the Cayenne so it isn’t noticible Smiley

--

You're lucky. My son always says he will be careful and he drives quite well for his age (15), we've been to a closed track a couple of times but I also know how much he loves his driving games and sports cars, so...I don't trust him. Smiley Smiley

--

ISUK:

The new model is being revealed tonight.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2019-range-rover-evoque?utm_medium=EMAIL&utm_campaign=Enews%20Bulletin&utm_content=ACAR%20ENews%20Bulletin%20-%20subs%20ad%20(22.11.2018)::hero_image&utm_source=20181122

I know and I am pretty sure that RR improved the front and the interior, especially the entertainment system.

Dealer was quite honest, he told us about the new model coming early 2019 but it would have been around 250 EUR more per month (comparable options) and we needed a car now

Speaking of our RR Evoque Si4: It has already 3400 km and zero issues. Car is faster and more fun than I thought, only the lack of (any) sound is bothering me a little bit but my wife loves it because it is very comfortable. Fuel consumption (lots of city driving, a bit of Autobahn) is 13-14 l / 100 km on average, which isn't bad at all.

My wife started to like Range Rover as a brand, which is surprising. She never liked it in the past.

--

1542916125917Front.JPG

1542916134488Rear.JPG

Two car shot.JPG

1542916149795Interior.JPG

I like the old one better. 

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

15429175211041.JPG

15429175279202.JPG

15429175347923.JPG

15429175758718.JPG

15429175863464.JPG

15429175956495.JPG

15429176050756.JPG

15429176149477.JPG

3 doors this time?

Rossi:

I like the old one better. 

Difficult decision I have to admit. The new looks a bit more stylish and refined, the old one has a (more) quirky vibe. I like both but I guess the "old" one will look old(er) once the new one hits the roads.

--

I am not a friend of Range Rover but the new shape is definitely an improvement  in terms of refinement, coherence and proportions.

Still a "ladies' car". smiley

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

Looks like a smaller Velar. yes

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

Enzo II:

3 doors this time?

The 3 door body style has been dropped due to slow sales. Of the two cars I bought at launch I preferred the look of the 3 door as it was unlike any other car on the market with more of a concept car look to the design. Access to the rear was more difficult than the 5 door so it wasn't attractive to people with young families I guess. The other downside of the 3 door was the size of the doors. The Evoque is a very wide car for it's class so only just fits into regular sized car park spaces here. Those long coupe style doors made getting out and in tricky when other wide cars parked next to it.

reginos:

I am not a friend of Range Rover but the new shape is definitely an improvement  in terms of refinement, coherence and proportions.

Smiley My ladies love it. Smiley

--

RC:
    reginos:

I know! Everywhere it is a girls'  favourite.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

reginos:
    RC:
    reginos:

I know! Everywhere it is a girls'  favourite.

Funny story: One of my childhood friends, he is a doctor now and always drove Porsche (mostly Boxsters), just visited me yesterday because he needed some flue shots because there is a shortage right now in Germany and I had some left for him. We sat in my office to talk a little bit and suddenly he pulled out a key from his pocket and said "look, I have the same car your daughter has...". Smiley He saw the Facebook post I made (we are Facebook friends) when I got the car for my daughter. His Evoque is the convertible version (3-door) but he loves the car. He loves it comfortable and quiet, he is only one year older than me. Smiley I showed him the video of my last Huracan Performante Spider drive and he said that he would rather ride a bicycle than drive such a "noise machine". Smiley

When I told him that Landrover is planning another convertible version (new Evoque), he said he will get the new one and the old one goes to his girlfriend. Smiley  Oh well...

--

Girlfriend???

--

991 Carrera Black Edition, XC90 Black\Black - 2 kids, 1 dog

bridggar:

Girlfriend???

Yep, he has the same girlfriend for over 30 years now...unbelievable. No kids.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688773 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408802 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255574 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234824 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65420 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857664 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773545 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM