Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Real world EV range experience

After my personal dissapointment with EV range in general(latest e-Golf and Tesla Model S 90 model as personally driven cars on more then few occasions) I was wondering what the fuss is all a about after all?

Here is the Autocar real world test with I-Pace which proves that in current state of technology EVs are far from decent solution for any trip longer then 350km. 

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/features/jaguar-i-pace-test-does-driving-style-make-big-difference-electric-range

So, EV owners from EU. Post your experience here. Especially, about real world range of your EV. My experience with e-Golf is really a mixed bag and this small EV is IMO only good for city driving. My wife who is huge supporter of EVs is having a second opinion after recent experience that we have with Tesla Model S 90. 

To be politically totally not correct I will write here one thing. I love big engine Diesel cars. Yes, I wrote that. To give you example real world range of now discontinued Panamera 4S Diesel is over 650km. None of the EVs can do 650km without charge stop. 

Not to mention what about disposal of batteries from EV in the future. Also, how untoxic and environmental friendly is production of EVs and it's batteries?

Lots of questions and lot of time in front of us to get decent answers. 

EVs are the future? Really? Well, maybe they indeed are...

But, I truly hate the way most of them drive. As a true car enthusiasts I can admit that.

Re: Real world EV range experience

Two key factors regarding EV range: Speed and battery capacity.

Battery tech in 10 years from now will be completely different than it is now, so I expect a huge increase in REAL WORLD driving range. Also, if speed gets limited (Audi e-tron limited to 200 kph, many EVs will follow), this adds even more range.

The real issues at hand are charging infrastructures and speed, resale values and cost. Not sure how they are going to sort out these issues. Most people in Germany (and many other countries) live in condos, they have no real possibility to charge their EVs over night. Also, nobody wants to wait 15 minutes or longer (current charging tech) at a charging station to get a full charge. Also imagine the same number of petrol/Diesel cars at your busy fuel ststion needing a charge at a charging station. A charging station would need to accomodate at least 100 cars at the same time, probably more, to achieve the same efficiency. This may not be a problem in the US with their wide areas but in Europe? Huge issue.

Very challenging times ahead if we really want to switch to EVs. In Germany, right now, the EV market is "dead", this is why I am seriously worried about VW Group's plans to push forward with EVs. Hybrids seem to be, for now, the more viable solution.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:

Two key factors regarding EV range: Speed and battery capacity.

Battery tech in 10 years from now will be completely different than it is now, so I expect a huge increase in REAL WORLD driving range. Also, if speed gets limited (Audi e-tron limited to 200 kph, many EVs will follow), this adds even more range.

The real issues at hand are charging infrastructures and speed, resale values and cost. Not sure how they are going to sort out these issues. Most people in Germany (and many other countries) live in condos, they have no real possibility to charge their EVs over night. Also, nobody wants to wait 15 minutes or longer (current charging tech) at a charging station to get a full charge. Also imagine the same number of petrol/Diesel cars at your busy fuel ststion needing a charge at a charging station. A charging station would need to accomodate at least 100 cars at the same time, probably more, to achieve the same efficiency. This may not be a problem in the US with their wide areas but in Europe? Huge issue.

Very challenging times ahead if we really want to switch to EVs. In Germany, right now, the EV market is "dead", this is why I am seriously worried about VW Group's plans to push forward with EVs. Hybrids seem to be, for now, the more viable solution.

Battery capacity will not be that much greater in ten years because annual improvement is averaging 3-5% per annum based on the current technologies with much of the gain focused on cost efficiency, not capacity.  Even solid state LiB do not significantly increase capacity, only faster charging rates and lower costs.   LiBs are restricted to the rate of innovation in chemistry, not semiconductor physics found in electronics.  Cellphone battery life has increased more through manufacturers making larger phone, thus opening space for larger batteries than greater charge increases for similar sized batteries.   

The storage issue is why most manufacturers have looked toward crossovers for their higher range models than smaller vehicle classes; a larger vehicle can hold a larger battery pack.   The energy profiles of vehicles are highly developed with little to be gained in the future.   Every automaker knows what the energy consumption is for every speed, vehicle load, and weather condition, so there is little to gain on that front.   Therefore, the burden falls on the slowly developing battery packs coupled with a greater charging infrastructure to increase long range viability for the EV.

In theory,  hybrids do provide a potential upside to the consumer by providing the benefits of EV and the ICE; however, in practice, the new global regulations make hybrids less cost attractive.   Regulations are making EVs more attractive from a cost standpoint than PHEVs, since a larger battery pack is required to meet the new CO2 emission levels.  Most manufacturers are fixated on costs and corresponding profit margins to remain in business.   As Bob Lutz stated in the recent Autoline podcast, consumers are more interested in monthly payment pricing than the overall price of the vehicle.  This market preference forces the hands of the manufacturers to meet certain cost parameters that eliminate elements of technology.   It is the market that drives, in more than one way, the product versus the manufacturers.  

I think that in 10 years time and with the money many "new" players are investing in battery tech right now and in the future, we are going to have some breakthroughs.

Audi asks 80k for their new e-tron, quite well optioned and this car looks way better than the Tesla X. Good start.

Still skeptical that EVs will be a thing sooner than later since most buyers seem to ignore them. Could change with some big incentives (government, manufacturers) but I am not sure.

Like I said, interesting times ahead but right now, I would not BUY an EV, just lease/rent it. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:

I think that in 10 years time and with the money many "new" players are investing in battery tech right now and in the future, we are going to have some breakthroughs.

Audi asks 80k for their new e-tron, quite well optioned and this car looks way better than the Tesla X. Good start.

Still skeptical that EVs will be a thing sooner than later since most buyers seem to ignore them. Could change with some big incentives (government, manufacturers) but I am not sure.

Like I said, interesting times ahead but right now, I would not BUY an EV, just lease/rent it. 

Battery technology for EVs is relatively fixed, outside of incremental improvements, is fixed for over the next decade as testing protocols lengthen the development cycle.  Solid state LiBs are currently in development and testing but cost issues still remain.   This technology would allow for faster charging rates and slightly greater power densities as they have a greater operating temperature range and, as a consequence, are less prone to thermal runaway events.  The auto industry, because of its great production volumes, is inherently risk adverse and will make ensure the technology is reliable and safe before it enters serial production.  Therefore, the industry’s technology diffusion rates trail that of the tech industry.   As stated before, few die if Apple misses with the technology maturity on an iPhone.  The converse is not true in the auto industry.  

Personal experience: around my home(s) base I never drive more than 300km (200 miles) in a single day. EV would work perfectly as long as you can charge overnight. For longer get a transport or fly, maybe rent a car or use another one of yours.

SciFrog:

Personal experience: around my home(s) base I never drive more than 300km (200 miles) in a single day. EV would work perfectly as long as you can charge overnight. For longer get a transport or fly, maybe rent a car or use another one of yours.

You and your own experience isn’t necessarily the same as others that the auto industry considers likely consumers.   This industry devotes significant expenditures to understanding its customer base.  

SciFrog:

Do you live in a condo? Smiley

--

BMW just released an updated battery for the i3, 30% range increase. Now it sartas to look like a real option for interurban commuting

--

2016 Cayman GT4 - 1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2016 Macan S Diesel - 2013 Mini Cooper S

Mikla:

BMW just released an updated battery for the i3, 30% range increase. Now it sartas to look like a real option for interurban commuting

Now they just need to change the rest of the car and they're good... Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    SciFrog:

One of my places is a condo, yes, as you surely know with all the snooping around... Not sure what your question is though as my parking has at least 3 chargers anyway already and both my homes are already prepped for superchargers when it will be necessary. Anyway I completely fail to understand the point people are trying to make against EV range since for now it is unlikely households will have exclusively EVs at home until range becomes an irrelevant issue in the next few years. We are debating replacing the Macan with a Bentley Speed GTC or a Model X since the Macan EV is vaporware as are any good product from the Germans so far.

SciFrog:
    RC:
    SciFrog:

One of my places is a condo, yes, as you surely know with all the snooping around...

Trust me, I never did that to you. I believe you're legit and this is all that matters to me. I am not snooping around to have leverage or threaten people, I do that to make sure I know who I am dealing with.

Not sure what your question is though as my parking has at least 3 chargers anyway already and both my homes are already prepped for superchargers when it will be necessary. Anyway I completely fail to understand the point people are trying to make against EV range since for now it is unlikely households will have exclusively EVs at home until range becomes an irrelevant issue in the next few years. We are debating replacing the Macan with a Bentley Speed GTC or a Model X since the Macan EV is vaporware as are any good product from the Germans so far.

Many people live in condos, especially in Europe. People barely find enough parking spaces, let alone charging stations. It would be impossible to charge their cars over night in front of their house. This is actually one of the biggest challenges, the charging infrastructure.

--

A lot of people while they regularly don't drive more than 200miles in a day, they need the car for ocasional "trips" that require longer autonomy, for example on holidays and weekend trips, work trips, etc and flying by plane is not convenient or any other method, they want the freedom of having their car to move them at will with all their luggage, and to any place without airport, etc and without fixed itinerary. And the problem for EV's is that finding a charging station before you run out of juice and sitting there until it charges is a no go, when a normal car just stops on any gas station along the way and fuels up in 5 minutes and continue on. Then there is  the private parking problem for night charging. So for a second car that is only going to be driven for daily commutes and you have a private garage its fine, but that is not everybody's situation. It will be solved in the future but we are not there by a long shot.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:

A lot of people while they regularly don't drive more than 200miles in a day, they need the car for ocasional "trips" that require longer autonomy, for example on holidays and weekend trips, work trips, etc and flying by plane is not convenient or any other method, they want the freedom of having their car to move them at will with all their luggage, and to any place without airport, etc and without fixed itinerary. And the problem for EV's is that finding a charging station before you run out of juice and sitting there until it charges is a no go, when a normal car just stops on any gas station along the way and fuels up in 5 minutes and continue on. Then there is  the private parking problem for night charging. So for a second car that is only going to be driven for daily commutes and you have a private garage its fine, but that is not everybody's situation. It will be solved in the future but we are not there by a long shot.

A very concrete example that one has heard about from friends is when a family member, namely a parent becomes seriously ill in a nearby community.  That individuals begins to travel moderate distances between home, health care facility, and parents' home.  That type of travel for a few weeks reflect negatively on an EV, to a large extent, because of the undeveloped fast charging infrastructure.  

RC:

Many people live in condos, especially in Europe. People barely find enough parking spaces, let alone charging stations. It would be impossible to charge their cars over night in front of their house. This is actually one of the biggest challenges, the charging infrastructure.

If you put in service sufficient fast charger, you don't need to take care of charging overnight. Right now, you spend around 5 to 10min at station, with newer tech you will quickly reach the same timing or extra minutes on top of it. the agenda will change by few minutes...

in any case, a cable connected to a plug works...at home and this is already working with multiple electronics plugged at home. scale it to bigger consummer applicable for garage/parkings and solution will be found.

nobody has a petrol station at home and the world is running fine. Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    RC:

If you put in service sufficient fast charger, you don't need to take care of charging overnight. Right now, you spend around 5 to 10min at station, with newer tech you will quickly reach the same timing or extra minutes on top of it. the agenda will change by few minutes...

in any case, a cable connected to a plug works...at home and this is already working with multiple electronics plugged at home. scale it to bigger consummer applicable for garage/parkings and solution will be found.

nobody has a petrol station at home and the world is running fine. Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

5-10 minutes for a full charge? Where? Smiley A customer of mine has a P85D and we just talked last week about the charging infrastructure. It takes around 70 minutes to fully charge the car from almost empty to full with a Tesla Supercharger (120 or 130 kW, don't remember). Charging the car over night at home takes the whole night (didn't ask how many hours) and a special charger. He would have never gotten the Tesla without the home charging possibility. He told me that most Tesla drivers he knows usually charge the car only for 20 minutes or so at the next available Supercharger, just to keep the car running. Not many seem to do full charges.

On the street? There are solutions in some Scandinavian cities but I don't think they would work in a country like Germany for example. Many fuel stations in city areas in Germany are small, maybe six or eight fuel pumps.

I do not think this would work with most people, too impractical. I get annoyed when I have to stop for three minutes at the fuel station. Smiley Usually I am tired from work and just want to get home. In the morning, I am eager to get to work, no time for fueling up the car.

--

RC:
    the-missile:

5-10 minutes for a full charge? Where? Smiley A customer of mine has a P85D and we just talked last week about the charging infrastructure. It takes around 70 minutes to fully charge the car from almost empty to full with a Tesla Supercharger (120 or 130 kW, don't remember). Charging the car over night at home takes the whole night (didn't ask how many hours) and a special charger. He would have never gotten the Tesla without the home charging possibility. He told me that most Tesla drivers he knows usually charge the car only for 20 minutes or so at the next available Supercharger, just to keep the car running. Not many seem to do full charges.

On the street? There are solutions in some Scandinavian cities but I don't think they would work in a country like Germany for example. Many fuel stations in city areas in Germany are small, maybe six or eight fuel pumps.

I do not think this would work with most people, too impractical. I get annoyed when I have to stop for three minutes at the fuel station. Smiley Usually I am tired from work and just want to get home. In the morning, I am eager to get to work, no time for fueling up the car.

Porsche and VW charger will use the 350KW base to start...forget Tesla. there is technology development going on with massive consortium between brands. Tesla is to be rewarded for manufacturer to look at other direction in regards to car and way of transport. the tech part will come from the real car manufacturers...

the petrol is a finite quantity, we just can't keep throwing it in cars for ever. it will stop at some point. we need to transport people and goods with infinite renewable energy.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

Even the new Taycan cannot be charged in 5-10 minutes... yes At least 15 min., for a 80% charge if I'm not mistaken.

I agree, there is going to be new tech but the charging infrastructure is lacking heavily and the charging stations aren't cheap, also probably an even bigger issue in the future if the tech changes constantly. 

Right now, the biggest issue is that although manufacturers start to offer EVs, many people don't seem interested in buying them. In Germany, according to many car experts, the EV market is basically "dead". We're a country of 83 million.

This is why I wonder who will buy all those Taycans, e-trons and whatever new fancy models VW Group and others will put on the market because in the end, they can only sell what people really want to buy.

Have you seen the new Audi Q8 live? What a beauty. Would get the RS Q8 (coming with a 600 hp V8 engine, maybe even as a mild hybrid) over any EV anytime.

Friedrich Indra, a well known engine and car tech expert, claims that EVs don't make sense and that car manufacturers should keep improving the petrol engine. He is happy that Porsche stopped using Diesel engines but he would like to see more petrol engine improvements, also including mild hybrid tech (48V). Plugin hybrids are pure nonsense as well according to him. I have to agree in some parts.

I think that EVs make sense in the city, they also make sense for delivery companies and similar stuff, maybe even for public transportation. Otherwise, I don't know...I still have my doubts.

--

A765CD91-B17D-403B-B235-2FF65307E658.pngGermany is a market but not big enough to represent what is going on. 

China is pushing up the sales as Europe. Germany is a big engine market since 30y or more and buy mainly German cars. Once the German industry goes in this direction (ongoing) people will buy. 

15min is not bad, but again habits will change. We are entering a new era

and we will have to adapt to new system if we want to leave a decent planet after us. EV or Hybrid or proprably something else but car as we know now will end in near future. 

05D3AB3B-36AB-4105-8C0D-D2CE4FB019A4.png

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

These numbers don't say much... 

The German government offers incentives for EVs in Germany but from the available 600 Mio. EUR, only 100 Mio. have been used so far, which shows the lack of interest in EVs. Most EVs here seem to be registered to companies (incl. car manufacturers of the same brand), not private persons.

Most successful EV models in Germany are from BMW and VW btw., not Tesla. Most successful single model is the Renault Zoe, which is often used by companies over here.

In June 2018, only 282 Tesla models were registered in Germany. In August 2018 only 82. A joke.

January to August 2018 sales numbers for Tesla in Germany? A disappointment for Tesla...37% less compared to the previous year.

As a comparison: Porsche has a PLUS of 19.4% in the same period. Almost 26000 cars. 

Market share of EVs in Germany is under 1% (I think 0.9).

Germany has 83 Mio. people, is one of the most important economies on this planet. EVs are not really successful here.

There is no need to switch to EVs. Not in Germany and not in other countries. Also, electricity is pretty expensive in Germany and the rest of Europe, there will be some pretty bad surprises for EV owners at some point. 

Many car experts here say that VW and other big manufacturers who push hard with EVs, especially in Europe, will fail. Why? Because even now, the EV market is saturated, there is not enough demand for the many new models coming. I tend to agree.

--

RC:

Germany has 83 Mio. people, is one of the most important economies on this planet.

Car sold in Europe last year: 15,631,687 cars

Germany: 3,441,262 which is 22%...of Sales volume in Europe which is not the biggest market in the world in term of volumes.

France: 2.1 Million

US: 17.1 Million

China: 28,879,000

India: 3,229,100

Russia: 1.7 Million

Japan: 4.34 Million

Bazil: 2.1M

and you can continue like that for a long list of mega volume sales.

German Manufacturers shall move quickly or they will be the most impacted.

Many car experts here say that VW and other big manufacturers who push hard with EVs, especially in Europe, will fail. Why? Because even now, the EV market is saturated, there is not enough demand for the many new models coming. I tend to agree.

Do you see VW investing huge amount of money for no reason? the future is not German market, the future is no oil reserve anymore at some point and the tech needs to move to other fuel energy. EV is bad or not but EV will work with much less oil than any current car.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

You actually just confirmed what I said... indecision

How many EVs in India, Russia, Brazil and Russia? 

I think German manufacturers will be impacted if they exaggerate with their EV developments and from what I can see right now. VW Group is doing that. Most EV markets are saturated, not sure how this is going to work out for them.

I see a huge EV market in China but to compete with Chinese manufacturers, things will be very difficult for VW Group and Co., especially in specific price segments.

US? This remains to be seen. Many Americans who are interested in EVs seem to think they have lower operational cost (electricity prices vs. gas prices) but this can change fast. In Europe, electricity is quite expensive compared to the US, so not sure how this is going to work out here in Europe.

I think that EVs are the future at some point but not now and not in the next couple of years. I'm afraid some car manufacturers will need to learn that the hard way. At least VW Group seems to start in the luxury segment but of course they also have the eGolf and other EVs. Successful looks different though.

Oil reserve? There is still enough oil (incl. fracking) for at least 60-200 years (depends on the sources you are using). Even if not, there is enough alternative energy and/or resources available now to produce alternative fuels. No more worries here.

--

Well crude is at 4 year high... But RC, people do not buy EV to save money. The same way people do mot install solar panels to save money because you don’t. There is a much bigger undercurrent in the USA. Just look at all the volunteers this weekend to help deliver Teslas. Even Apple does not have this devotion.

I get it, Germans and in general Europeans except Nordic countries don’t like Tesla. It makes sense: they don’t build them and the charging infrastructure and towns aren’t properly set up for EV. But that will eventually change. But the USA is (as usual) far ahead and will lead the way.

SciFrog:

Well crude is at 4 year high... But RC, people do not buy EV to save money. The same way people do mot install solar panels to save money because you don’t. There is a much bigger undercurrent in the USA. Just look at all the volunteers this weekend to help deliver Teslas. Even Apple does not have this devotion.

We are not talking Tesla here... Best selling EV in the US is the Chevrolet Bolt as far as I remember (maybe I'm wrong).

The US is a big country but I still doubt that the EV market is that big over there. It may absorb maybe an additional couple of tens of thousands EVs per year but not sure if more.

I get it, Germans and in general Europeans except Nordic countries don’t like Tesla. It makes sense: they don’t build them and the charging infrastructure and towns aren’t properly set up for EV. But that will eventually change. But the USA is (as usual) far ahead and will lead the way.

Tesla isn't really the issue here. We aren't too interested in EVs. Too expensive, too uncertain to buy, too new, too complicated to charge, whatever, take your pick. The incentives don't and didn't really help, half a billion EUR of government incentive still sits around without being used for EVs.

--

KresoF1:

After my personal dissapointment with EV range in general(latest e-Golf and Tesla Model S 90 model as personally driven cars on more then few occasions) I was wondering what the fuss is all a about after all?

Here is the Autocar real world test with I-Pace which proves that in current state of technology EVs are far from decent solution for any trip longer then 350km. 

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/features/jaguar-i-pace-test-does-driving-style-make-big-difference-electric-range

So, EV owners from EU. Post your experience here. Especially, about real world range of your EV. My experience with e-Golf is really a mixed bag and this small EV is IMO only good for city driving. My wife who is huge supporter of EVs is having a second opinion after recent experience that we have with Tesla Model S 90. 

To be politically totally not correct I will write here one thing. I love big engine Diesel cars. Yes, I wrote that. To give you example real world range of now discontinued Panamera 4S Diesel is over 650km. None of the EVs can do 650km without charge stop. 

Not to mention what about disposal of batteries from EV in the future. Also, how untoxic and environmental friendly is production of EVs and it's batteries?

Lots of questions and lot of time in front of us to get decent answers. 

EVs are the future? Really? Well, maybe they indeed are...

But, I truly hate the way most of them drive. As a true car enthusiasts I can admit that.

hehe, 650km for a diesel is really not that impressive.

I just did a round trip to Laguna Seca and back. in the 918. Every tank I get over 450 miles, that's > 700km. One tank lasted 2 pee stops.

Hybrid is the way to go. Amazing range when the car is in hybrid mode. And the 918 is using hybrid tech from 5 years ago.

--

Jim_in_Iowa:

Somewhat on-topic:

https://www.autovistagroup.com/news-and-insights/swedish-study-calls-smaller-ev-batteries-finds-tesla-more-polluting-8-year-old

Very interesting and shocking, didn't know the impact was so huge... so Teslas are currentlh the equivalent of the gas guzzlers of the EV world while they get taxpayer funded incentives, discounts on toll, access to special lanes, etc ... Ironic

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM