Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

Moser:

Living in Cyprus now with the RHD, I've been looking for a good sports car to purchase from the UK, and I've always been a 911 guy, but I can't swallow paying any of these prices for a 911.  I'll have to look for an alternative...

I think the best (and cheapest) car market is in Germany... Not sure they have many RHD vehicles though but is that really a problem?!

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

If it's a daily driver then yes it would be a problem, as just doing something simple like entering a parking lot, I would need a passenger to retrieve the ticket from the machine or I'll have to get out of the car to do it....but I have a daily driver in my S3, so I'll look into Germany...

Thanks

Moser:

If it's a daily driver then yes it would be a problem, as just doing something simple like entering a parking lot, I would need a passenger to retrieve the ticket from the machine or I'll have to get out of the car to do it....but I have a daily driver in my S3, so I'll look into Germany...

Thanks

No cheaper sports cars than here...if you are lucky, you can make some awesome deals, especially now with WLTP and all that emissions crap kicking in. Porsche dealers are very eager to sell their cars, others as well.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

I'll keep you posted, as I have to pay emissions tax importing the car to Cyprus, so that's another factor that comes to play when deciding which direction to go... For example the emissions tax on a GTS is about 8-9k euros, where as a GT3 is about 40k Euros.....

Moser:

I'll keep you posted, as I have to pay emissions tax importing the car to Cyprus, so that's another factor that comes to play when deciding which direction to go... For example the emissions tax on a GTS is about 8-9k euros, where as a GT3 is about 40k Euros.....

Crazy emissions taxes... Smiley Would be probably cheaper to register a business in Germany, register the car to it and drive with German plates in Cyprus. Smiley

--

I'm very tempted to get a 720S (in addition to the 991). Is anyone taking the McLaren to the track and if so, did you have issues with it ? I'm also wondering what Brexit will do to the price and availability of parts.  Will appreciate any insight.

Thanks
    Rick

schmoell:

I'm very tempted to get a 720S (in addition to the 991). Is anyone taking the McLaren to the track and if so, did you have issues with it ? I'm also wondering what Brexit will do to the price and availability of parts.  Will appreciate any insight.

Thanks
    Rick

I had a track day with the McLaren people and none of the cars broke throughout the day...E641E474-304D-44A7-8BD7-876EC6A71F88.jpeg

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Love the 911 trying to blend in and pretend it's a mclaren

Thanks Grant 

Moser:

Love the 911 trying to blend in and pretend it's a mclaren

Luckily the 911 tried not to mimic the McLaren doors Smiley

IMG_4451.jpgIMG_4452.jpgIMG_4453.jpgIMG_4454.jpgIMG_4455.jpgIMG_4456.jpg

--

AM

Not exceptionally beautiful, I'd say. But it certainly has a presence. Thanks for sharing

schmoell:

Not exceptionally beautiful, I'd say. But it certainly has a presence. Thanks for sharing

Presence is the right word... Smiley Smiley
    Certainly fast as hell too...

--

RC:
    schmoell:

Fast as hell, ugly as hell. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Looks best in v dark colors to hide the detail indecision

--

Tesla Model S P100D & Model X P90D & 2016 BMW i8 & 2017 Sept 991.2 GT3 ordered. 2020 Porsche Mission E on order

Rossi:
    RC:
    schmoell:

Would you want to have one if you get one for let's say 200k? Smiley

Sometimes being special requires also a bit of ugliness or let's say special look. Smiley

--

RC:
    Rossi:
    RC:
    schmoell:

Would you want to have one if you get one for let's say 200k? Smiley

Sometimes being special requires also a bit of ugliness or let's say special look. Smiley

To tell you the truth: no thanks. It's the same as with watches, I buy only what I like, what I think is looking good (to me). So I would never buy a watch, a car or what else only because someone (or the majority) says it's a must have. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

A watch may be about looks but a car? You get a car because of how it drives and I'm pretty sure the Senna drives pretty well, even if I never had the chance to actually drive one. Smiley

--

RC:

A watch may be about looks but a car? You get a car because of how it drives and I'm pretty sure the Senna drives pretty well, even if I never had the chance to actually drive one. Smiley

I have to disagree. A lot of people buy cars based on how they look. Heck 99% of Aston purchases are made knowing they're not performance kings, they're just beautiful cars. IMO it's almost impossible to extract the top performance of most modern sports cars on regular roads, and they only edge each other out at those peak moments. On regular usage I'm sure most owners care more about how the car makes them feel every time they open the garage doors, rather then how fast it gets them to max speed. And looks is whats going to drive that decision. 

Enmanuel:
    RC:

I have to disagree. A lot of people buy cars based on how they look. Heck 99% of Aston purchases are made knowing they're not performance kings, they're just beautiful cars. IMO it's almost impossible to extract the top performance of most modern sports cars on regular roads, and they only edge each other out at those peak moments. On regular usage I'm sure most owners care more about how the car makes them feel every time they open the garage doors, rather then how fast it gets them to max speed. And looks is whats going to drive that decision. 

some people will just buy the car for the badge Smiley here it is like legion Smiley other will buy it because it is expensive Smiley here it is a strong argument as well Smiley how much? not enough Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

RC:

Of course looks are not everything, I never said that. I only stated that if I don‘t like the looks of a car, it can be technically as good as it gets, I won‘t buy it. And on the other hand there are many, many good cars out there, just as Enmanuel said. Not so much difference at least for average drivers as most of us probably are. Smiley

--

Enmanuel:
    RC:

Those who buy cars only based on looks are posers.

I liked the Huracan (looks) more than the R8 in the beginning but chose to get the R8 because it was much cheaper.

Now I actually like the R8 more than the Huracan but I would take a Huracan Performante anytime. Not exactly because of the looks but because of the total package, I just love everything about this car.

--

Rossi:
    RC:

Of course looks are not everything, I never said that. I only stated that if I don‘t like the looks of a car, it can be technically as good as it gets, I won‘t buy it. And on the other hand there are many, many good cars out there, just as Enmanuel said. Not so much difference at least for average drivers as most of us probably are. Smiley

Would you buy a current Maserati or even Aston Martin?  Be honest. I wouldn't.

--

RC:

I beg to differ... people who buy cars only based on what the world thinks of the car, those are posers. People who buy a car only based on looks are just only interested in looks, nothing more, nothing less. Yes, I would buy an Aston Martin any day for it's looks alone if I had the money. I would hang it on the wall or put it in a display case, whatever.
    For the same reason, a car might be the best car in the world, but if I don't like the looks, I won't buy it. Look at the Enzo or the LariFari.... both exceptional cars, but their designs are so weird, that I would never give a dime for them.

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

RC:
    Rossi:
    RC:

Would you buy a current Maserati or even Aston Martin?  Be honest. I wouldn't.

I give you an honest anwer:

Maserati I wouldn't, as I consider them to be old tech. Too old models, too long on the market with too many facelifts only. Moreover - though arguably nice Italian cars - I don't like the current Maserati design. It was better some years ago, when the 3200 GT was new. This was a nice car, though technically not brilliant. And even more I think the current Maserati pretend more that they fulfil, lots of noise and drama for the poor speed they deliver.

Now Aston Martin is a bit different. I think most of them look great and I like what's beneath the bonnet as well. This is valid for the cars before Mercedes chimed in, the brand-new Astons have a little bit too much Mercedes for my taste, I also think the styling is not as good as it was before. But I could see myself in a Vantage V8 or Vantage V12.

--

Joost:
    RC:

I beg to differ... people who buy cars only based on what the world thinks of the car, those are posers. People who buy a car only based on looks are just only interested in looks, nothing more, nothing less. Yes, I would buy an Aston Martin any day for it's looks alone if I had the money. I would hang it on the wall or put it in a display case, whatever.
    For the same reason, a car might be the best car in the world, but if I don't like the looks, I won't buy it. Look at the Enzo or the LariFari.... both exceptional cars, but their designs are so weird, that I would never give a dime for them.

Exactly. Smiley

--

Joost:
    RC:

Yes and no. A car needs to be driven. Putting a car into a garage just to look at it as if it is a sculpture or painting is ridiculous. Your experience with high performance cars is limited. Do you really think I like a lot how my E63 looks? I still think it is a supped up taxi (from the looks of it...OK...maybe a bit different with the wider front fenders). I like how it drives though and I consider it a very good compromise for my needs. Also, it provides a very emotional ride, sound and performance.

Or let's take the GT3 RS: My wife saw the car a couple of times, even brought one home. She hates it. Ugly as hell in her opinion, that monster wing is horrible in her eyes. Some of her female friends saw me with the car a couple of times and were horrified. A friend has a GT3 RS and his wife refuses to drive with him in the car (I'm not kidding). 

I still would get a GT3 RS in a heartbeat if I had the funds to have various cars at the same time. Wonderful machine and yes, I kind of like the looks as well but would actually prefer a car like the GT3 Touring. Not a wing guy (me), even if my R8 has one (small, thank god).

Aston Martin? I would get the Vantage V12. Not because of it's looks (it looks good, no doubt) or it's performance but because of the drive feel, the engine, the emotional part. Newer Aston Martins? Not in love too much, sorry. 

On the other hand, I always hated Ranger Rover but over the last couple of years, they win in the (SUV) design department hands down. Compared to a Range Rover Sport SVR, the new Cayenne looks boring and not exciting at all.

A sportscar is not defined by it's looks but by it's performance and the emotional part. It needs to give you goose bumps at some point. Not sure if looks is enough to do that.

Have you seen an Atom live? Ridiculous. The ride is so much fun though, even if I wouldn't get one for different reasons.

I always loved the RR Ghost, even if I would (probably) never buy it. For me, this car is like a classic sculpture. It attracts your attention, you enjoy looking at it and it never gets boring, even if you're not really a fan of it. Unlike some modern art where you look twice at and you ask yourself: Oh boy, what I'm doing here, this is pure crap. If I would get a RR Ghost, I would drive it though. The enjoyment would probably be a different one, not based on performance but emotions like comfort and maybe even some exposure.

--

RC:

A sportscar is not defined by it's looks but by it's performance and the emotional part. It needs to give you goose bumps at some point. Not sure if looks is enough to do that.

Yes performance is key. You need the performance to be there to make the experience real. But at what point is that the defining characteristic of one car over another? at the .2 seconds faster that it gets to 60mph? in the 40hp it has over the other cars in it's range? in the 2 seconds quicker that it'll lap a circuit? Yes those are all markers of great technical achievements but for most drivers (actual car people not just the average driver) those factors will hardly come into play in their actual usage, because you will rarely get to those limits.

So IMO for how good and competitive car companies are being and with so many good offerings out there, i'd say looks are a huge factor. I'd rather own a car that already makes me feel good when I walk up to it on a parking lot, or when i'm driving it around town, at 40mph, rather than having the fastest, best handling, most powerful car. If that makes me  poser then i guess I am Smiley

Rossi:
    Joost:
    RC:

Exactly. Smiley

SmileySmileySmiley

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Today I was able to sit in a Senna (wanted to try the seats, as they’re optional in 600LT). The must have been the wider “Touring” version of the Carbon shells and they were superb.  I found them both more comfortable and supportive than the LWB’s in my GT3. I also tried the 675LT seats, but they were too narrow for my rump.

Sounded like no problem to get a car (aside from paying for it).  I like the vibe at the McLaren dealership. Pretty cool place and relatively low key.

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:

Today I was able to sit in a Senna (wanted to try the seats, as they’re optional in 600LT). The must have been the wider “Touring” version of the Carbon shells and they were superb.  I found them both more comfortable and supportive than the LWB’s in my GT3. I also tried the 675LT seats, but they were too narrow for my rump.

Sounded like no problem to get a car (aside from paying for it).  I like the vibe at the McLaren dealership. Pretty cool place and relatively low key.

They certainly felt good to me as well. The true test is what they feel like after a couple of hours though Smiley.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689282 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409069 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255686 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234938 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65494 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857875 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773873 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM