Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Roadster

Whoopsy:

Also, look at how easily launch control mode can be accessed.

How may steps to get into that in a Tesla? Ferrari? Lamborghini, etc?

Compared to Porsche: Nail the brakes, floor the throttle, lift the brakes and hang on.

Tesla - Zero steps. Just floor it. You always have the car in "Ludicrous" mode. The instant torque in the Teslas is far beyond what I've experienced in any other car. The i-Pace for comparison have immense lag. And I'm not talking about pure performance. More sort of accessibility.

Porsche launch control is complicated in comparison. And yes, I know, because I've owned several Porsches with PDK and LC.

And for the record. I've been driving a P100DL extensively. You can do A LOT of launches without seeing the slightest decrease in power. Reading your post above just show how little real world experience you have with Tesla.

lukestern:
    Whoopsy:

Compared to Porsche: Nail the brakes, floor the throttle, lift the brakes and hang on.

Tesla - Zero steps. Just floor it. You always have the car in "Ludicrous" mode. The instant torque in the Teslas is far beyond what I've experienced in any other car. The i-Pace for comparison have immense lag. And I'm not talking about pure performance. More sort of accessibility.

Porsche launch control is complicated in comparison. And yes, I know, because I've owned several Porsches with PDK and LC.

And for the record. I've been driving a P100DL extensively. You can do A LOT of launches without seeing the slightest decrease in power. Reading your post above just show how little real world experience you have with Tesla.

For German users a Tesla 100 is crap, sorry to say. Unless you drive like an old man...

It will be interesting to see how target customers respond to the new Audi E-tron...

<

Smiley

MKSGR:
    lukestern:
    Whoopsy:

For German users a Tesla 100 is crap, sorry to say. Unless you drive like an old man...

This is a concern for drivers that experience less-than-temperate temperatures.  For example, it is almost 35 C today in much of Chicago.  Temperatures are significantly greater while waiting in traffic on the expressways.  These temperatures sap performance on a BEV.  In a few months, temperatures will be much, much colder and -15 C isn't uncommon.  Then the BEV must work hard to maintain battery pack temperatures as range drops precipitously.  These temperature extremes are typical for many parts of the States and test a BEV, including the highly vaunted Teslas, which seem designed for the moderate weather of northern California.  

lukestern:
    Whoopsy:

Sorry. but the car doesn't shipped in Ludicrous mode by default. One has to go into the menu to choose it. Smiley

You Tesla bias is showing btw. Smiley

Try getting a brand new Porsche and a brand new Tesla off the show room, then ask 2 random person to get into the car and then give them instructions on how then ask them to do launches. The person in the Porsche probably would have done 10 I a row before the Tesla do 1.

Actually on second thought, a 911 Turbo S doesn't quite need launch control, just stomp the gas from rest and it's quicker than 99% of the competition already. That lunch control mode is only for wiping the smirk of off the faces of Tesla fanboys.

And what do you mean by "A LOT"? In one session consecutively? And how many in a row is 'A LOT'? Or was the 'A LOT' means doing it once in the morning and once in the afternoon with lots of time for cooling and charging in between?

--

But funny how every Tesla fanboy thinks their car is the greatest thing ever and nothing else compares and they are 'above' everyone else.

Why can't they act more humble and less like a dick?

No other car manufacturers' fan boy are that bad. Heck even Porsche owners, diehard ones, always admit freely that their brand their cars are not perfect. 

--

Whoopsy:
    lukestern:
    Whoopsy:

Sorry. but the car doesn't shipped in Ludicrous mode by default. One has to go into the menu to choose it. Smiley

Lol, yes it's very difficult to once put it in Ludicrous mode and never change it Smiley

You Tesla bias is showing btw. Smiley

You can call it bias, but I myself considered my comments in here being based on real world comparisons of Tesla vs. the competition. The funny thing is that 2 years ago I did bash Tesla a lot and made almost the same comments that many in here do. I really thought it was a piece of crap with quality issues, overheating, american piece of junk, etc etc (based on reading on the Internet). And then I got the opportunity to test one during several weeks which completely  changed my mind. This is probably the reason why I still respond to stuff in here, because I myself was in the same situation, lacking real world experience.

Try getting a brand new Porsche and a brand new Tesla off the show room, then ask 2 random person to get into the car and then give them instructions on how then ask them to do launches. The person in the Porsche probably would have done 10 I a row before the Tesla do 1.

Just not true. In the Tesla you just push the accelerator pedal to the floor and relax. My mom and dad have tested and they managed the first time and really enjoyed it Smiley

Actually on second thought, a 911 Turbo S doesn't quite need launch control, just stomp the gas from rest and it's quicker than 99% of the competition already. That lunch control mode is only for wiping the smirk of off the faces of Tesla fanboys.

Not sure what you mean now. Even with the launch control a Turbo S can't beat a P100DL off the line. The last sentence just shows that you think it is a bit annoying that a Tesla is as fast as it is Smiley

And what do you mean by "A LOT"? In one session consecutively? And how many in a row is 'A LOT'? Or was the 'A LOT' means doing it once in the morning and once in the afternoon with lots of time for cooling and charging in between?

With A LOT I mean driving aggressive in daily traffic with launches from redlights, full throttle acceleration on motorway ramps, a few full throttle accelerations just because its fun, etc. Let me give you a scenario that much well could be one of my drives when I had the car. The times is there just for illustration purposes of course:
    09.03 - Full throttle at a redlight up till 110km/h. Let of the accelerator and drive at 60km/h for 2 kilometers. New redlight at 09.06 - Full throttle from 0 to 130km/h and let off the accelerator. 09.14. Same thing again, full throttle at a redlight. 09.15 full throttle between 30km/h -> 100km/h just because it's fun.... 09.22 - Full throttle on a motorway on ramp from 30km/h up until 140km/h. Then some motorway cruising for 20km at 140km/h. Enter a new city at 09.38 and stop at a redlight. Full throttle 0->100km/h and then some more launches and quick in-speed short full throttle accelerations before I reach the destination. Quite some aggressive run and during driving like this the car doesn't limit the power a single bit to be honest.

And when it comes charging... There is a decrease in power if the battery has low SoC (state of charge). But the difference is not so noticeable that you might think. Above 50% SoC there is hardly any difference and at 50% it will do 0-100 in 3,0 for sure. If you're at 20% maybe the car accelerates from 0-100 in 3,5 instead of 2,7. If you're at 10% SoC it will do 3,8 to 100. All in all... the car needs to be at 90%+ SoC to reach the top figures like 2,6 to 100 and the best quarter mile runs. But at 20% state of charge the car still perform well, but it wont set any record times at that SoC. But in real world driving there is no issues even if you drive quite aggressive.

Whoopsy:

But funny how every Tesla fanboy thinks their car is the greatest thing ever and nothing else compares and they are 'above' everyone else.

Problem is just what you write here. You trigger with this type of comments. If you leave out the fanboy/cool aid comments it become a much better discussion with less heat and not as polarized.

The coin has two sides. I think a good example in here is your own posts. You clearly post things that are incorrect about Tesla and I correct them. Am I a dick for doing that you think?

No other car manufacturers' fan boy are that bad. Heck even Porsche owners, diehard ones, always admit freely that their brand their cars are not perfect. 

Folks on the internet saying that Tesla is best at anything is probably not owners. It's kids and wannabes. I think most Tesla owners have a quite honest and balanced view of the pros and cons with the car. And like with every product there is always bias. That's part of the human being, just like in here there is to some extent Porsche bias. And what's wrong with that? I'd say the opposite, it's great that people enjoy their stuff and like it Smiley

Well, two Tesla owners that I personally know pretty well are cult followers. Tesla/Elon Musk cult followers to be precise. After they both purchase their first Tesla car they become so impressed with it and Musk stories that there was not a step back for them.

It is Tesla or nothing for them. After this conversion I become much less involved with both of them socially. 

KresoF1:

Well, two Tesla owners that I personally know pretty well are cult followers. Tesla/Elon Musk cult followers to be precise. After they both purchase their first Tesla car they become so impressed with it and Musk stories that there was not a step back for them.

It is Tesla or nothing for them. After this conversion I become much less involved with both of them socially. 

Relax...once VW Group and other major players on the car market start to put their products on the market (2019 will be a start...) ... 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

The only upcoming electric car that could damage tesla is the Taycan. The rest have been underwhelming with their offerings so far.... yes

AP911:

The only upcoming electric car that could damage tesla is the Taycan. The rest have been underwhelming with their offerings so far.... yes

Underwhelming in what way?   The Jaguar I-Pace has received very solid reviews and driving evaluations for the new Audi should be published soon.  While performance statistics for the Audi, and the future Mercedes Benz EQC, seem behind Tesla models, one would wait until reviews and driving impressions are recorded.  Neither automaker will have a problem making the overhyped transition to electric.  The greatest impediment the legacy automakers face is maintaining profit margins for the near term as the major automakers have significantly more resources than Tesla.   The Audi, for example, almost seems conventional and that is what is required to move EVs beyond the early adopter.  That said, the new Audi A6, represents greater value and performance for a similar price.  

Should have included this video of the Audi EV motor assembly line in Hungary.   This isn’t a halfway operation, making Tesla’s lines look second class.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=zttC2x9nMEw

CGX car nut:
    AP911:

Underwhelming in what way?   The Jaguar I-Pace has received very solid reviews and driving evaluations for the new Audi should be published soon.  While performance statistics for the Audi, and the future Mercedes Benz EQC, seem behind Tesla models, one would wait until reviews and driving impressions are recorded.  Neither automaker will have a problem making the overhyped transition to electric.  The greatest impediment the legacy automakers face is maintaining profit margins for the near term as the major automakers have significantly more resources than Tesla.   The Audi, for example, almost seems conventional and that is what is required to move EVs beyond the early adopter.  That said, the new Audi A6, represents greater value and performance for a similar price.  

Well they are producing electric cars that should be considered a next gen and non could match tesla for performance or more importantly range.... that is disappointing. And with an inferior charging network and unimpressive looks, why would anyone buy the ones you mentioned instead of a Tesla. Non is fun to drive, including the Tesla, so lets wait and see the Taycan. 

AP911:
    CGX car nut:
    AP911:

Well they are producing electric cars that should be considered a next gen and non could match tesla for performance or more importantly range.... that is disappointing. And with an inferior charging network and unimpressive looks, why would anyone buy the ones you mentioned instead of a Tesla. Non is fun to drive, including the Tesla, so lets wait and see the Taycan. 

Again, this is highly speculative until these vehicles are in the hands of testers and the buying public.   Volkswagen Group, as an example, is expending capital at levels greater than Tesla and has had competences in the required technology for years.   They, Mercedes, and BMW have long range strategic plans especially when compared to the impulsive Musk at Tesla.  These automakers have analyzed and analyzed the market and know that perceived normalcy is required to ensure the transition from ICE to BEV.  While these automakers appear to lag behind Tesla in charging infrastructure, again sizable investment is being made parallel to EV introduction.   Additionally, all the automakers, less Tesla, are supporting the same standards for charging systems, therefore spreading adoption.  Volkswagen in the United States has guaranteed investment of $2 billion over the next few, while Tesla will be paying down debt. 

lukestern:
    Whoopsy:

Problem is just what you write here. You trigger with this type of comments. If you leave out the fanboy/cool aid comments it become a much better discussion with less heat and not as polarized.

The coin has two sides. I think a good example in here is your own posts. You clearly post things that are incorrect about Tesla and I correct them. Am I a dick for doing that you think?

Folks on the internet saying that Tesla is best at anything is probably not owners. It's kids and wannabes. I think most Tesla owners have a quite honest and balanced view of the pros and cons with the car. And like with every product there is always bias. That's part of the human being, just like in here there is to some extent Porsche bias. And what's wrong with that? I'd say the opposite, it's great that people enjoy their stuff and like it Smiley

Exactly why one cannot have a normal conversation/discussion with Tesla fanboys. They simply cannot take any criticisms. They are the only ones, no other fanboys act that way.

Their mentality is that they will defend Tesla to their death, it's 'us' vs the world, almost seems like they are defending their family's honour.

I love my Porsches, but I certainly do not blindly defend them, hell I am also one that criticize them in the face. Most people here will agreed that I am fair, not biased one way or another. 

--

To the Tesla cultist it has become a Messianic mission, to everyone else it’s a sometimes quick, poorly built car.  

Any ideas why so many Tesla executives are leaving the company?

1537684697669image.jpeg

For example...

"Another Tesla executive has reportedly left the company. Here are all the key names who have departed this year."

A number of senior employees have left Tesla this year.

Tesla is known for its high rate of executive turnover, and this year has been no different.

As the company has faced production issues, concerns about its financial health, a reported investigation from the SEC, and questions about the decision-making of CEO Elon Musk, departures from senior employees have only added to the impression of instability. 

This month alone has seen four senior employees leave the company.

Tesla has seen a lot of executives leave this year. 

As the company has faced production issues, concerns about its financial health, a reported investigation from the SEC, and questions about the decision-making of CEO Elon Musk, departures from senior employees have only added to the impression of instability. 

This month alone has seen four senior employees leave the company: head of human resources Gabrielle Toledano, chief accountant Dave Morton, head of communications Sarah O'Brien (her departure was announced in August, but her final day at the company was September 7, according to Bloomberg), and vice president of global supply management Liam O'Connor (his departure has been reported by Bloomberg, though Tesla has not yet confirmed the report to Business Insider).

These are the key names who have left Tesla in 2018, when they left, and where they went next (according to their LinkedIn pages or company announcements):

January - Jason Mendez, director of manufacturing engineering: LinkedIn page does not list next position

January - Will McColl, manager of equipment engineering: founded WaveForm Design

February - Jon McNeill, president of global sales and services: became COO of Lyft 

March - Eric Branderiz, chief accounting officer: became CFO of Enphase Energy 

March - Susan Repo, corporate treasurer and vice president of finance: became CFO of Topia (she left Topia in June, according to her LinkedIn page)

April - Jim Keller, head of Autopilot hardware engineering: became head of silicon engineering at Intel

April - Georg Ell, director of Western Europe operations: became CEO of Smoothwall

May - Matthew Schwall, director of field performance engineering: became heady of field safety at Waymo 

July - Ganesh Srivats, vice president overseeing retail, delivery, and marketing: became CEO of Moda Operandi 

September - Sarah O'Brien, vice president of communications: LinkedIn page does not list next position

September - Gabrielle Toledano, chief people officer: LinkedIn page does not list next position

September - Dave Morton, chief accounting officer: became CFO of Anaplan

September - Liam O'Connor, vice president of global supply management: LinkedIn page does not list next position

October - Justin McAnear, vice president of worldwide finance and operations: set to leave on October 7, LinkedIn page does not list next position

Link: http://uk.businessinsider.com/tesla-executive-departures-list-2018-9

They were not “Penske” material! Or in this case Musk material indecision

My guess: They don’t see a future at Tesla and are jumping ship. 

--

2018 White 911 GT3

With all the brand comparison you miss one major fact. A fact why all other brands will still be many years behind Tesla. That fact is called "Supercharger network". Go ahead and buy your Mercedes, Porsche or Audi, but tell me how to charge on a long distance? There is no charger network anywhere. On top of it, the public chargers in the cities are more and more occupied by tiny city cars, car-to-go shared cars, etc. In other words - it is not easy to charge your car on a trip except it is a Tesla and you can use the charging network. Therefore - Tesla is the only choice for a full-electric vehicle right now and probably in the next 5 years. 

Lars997:

With all the brand comparison you miss one major fact. A fact why all other brands will still be many years behind Tesla. That fact is called "Supercharger network". Go ahead and buy your Mercedes, Porsche or Audi, but tell me how to charge on a long distance? There is no charger network anywhere. On top of it, the public chargers in the cities are more and more occupied by tiny city cars, car-to-go shared cars, etc. In other words - it is not easy to charge your car on a trip except it is a Tesla and you can use the charging network. Therefore - Tesla is the only choice for a full-electric vehicle right now and probably in the next 5 years. 

Here are two companies, both with Volkswagen money taking on Tesla’s supercharger network:

1) https://www.electrifyamerica.com/ and

2) https://interestingengineering.com/giant-carmakers-unveil-map-of-400-planned-fast-charging-stations-across-europe

Any idea why so many executives are leaving the company?

The US must be very near effectively full employment - in the tech field there are many jobs being created, and very few qualified applicants for these jobs, so poaching becomes much more common, especially if these executives believe that there is little upside and increasing risk on their Tesla options as compared to options with a new employer..   That is one big factor.  The other is, there must be very few who could work directly for Elon Musk and stay sane.   

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

The superchargers out there are still so scarce compared to gas stations, that they won't move the needle much for Tesla (or against its competitors).  EVs are just not a good fit for long, out-of-town road trips.  The chargers would probably have to increase at least 100x to get to where they need to be from a competitive standpoint to ICE cars.  [and maybe 1000x]

The main market for EVs are customers that only expect to use their car for daily commutes, where their "supercharger" is their own garage.  This means supercharger network or not, the E-Trons & i-Paces of the world should be able to compete just fine with the Model S/3/X in that space.  

Also it means there is still plenty of time for something like VW Group or auto alliances of various sorts to roll out their own superchargers in the coming years to start pulling in those vacation drivers and not just the commuters.  And ask yourself who is going to have the capital to do that?  Last I checked Tesla was not looking like an organization capable of investing billions of dollars in its charging network to bring it to a level competitive with gas stations.  And keep in mind, the competition's network will be 800V, faster charging.  Tesla's is going to be weighed down by that 400V decision over the long term.  They will eventually have to move to 800V meaning even more capital expense to upgrade their existing network.

Here is something extremely interesting.

One of my buddies just walked into the Tesla showroom today, Sunday afternoon, and walked out with a Model 3. Dual motor performance package. Basically the fully decked out Model 3 with the biggest selling price.

He didn't have a deposit, basically walked into the showroom after lunch a few doors down to check out the cars yet walking out with a car, as in driving it home.

This is a BIG surprise. There was supposed to still have another 400k deposits Tesla is sitting on orders. I guess the majority of those are for the 35k base car which Elon is not building yet. 

I guess the only reason is that the cars being produced currently are the highest spec model which nobody ordered and are 'dealer' ordered 'stock' cars. 

Screenshot 2018-09-23 23.31.48.png

--

CGX car nut:
    Lars997:

Here are two companies, both with Volkswagen money taking on Tesla’s supercharger network:

1) https://www.electrifyamerica.com/ and

2) https://interestingengineering.com/giant-carmakers-unveil-map-of-400-planned-fast-charging-stations-across-europe

I'm aware about those plans. But this is why I was writing "Tesla is the only choice right now - and probably the next 5 years". If they really can launch 400 stations until 2020 then we might have to wait 2 to 3 years until buying an EV which is not from Tesla, however - Tesla is not sleeping and will use those 3 years for their own advantage, too ;)

AP911:

You're wrong, just wait and see... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    AP911:

You're wrong, just wait and see... Smiley

I think the Taycan can not even come close to a Tesla. The Tycan still is a "car" - the infotainment and user experience is still like a Porsche. While the Tesla changed so many aspects of how to use a car on a daily level. I doubt that Porsche is coming close. 

Actually - I guess that the only one being able to ride "the electric wave" might be the Chinese producers. Wait 5 years and the market will be flooded with Chinese cars. 

Yes, the Chinese may flood the markets with ELVs but the tech is more complex than many imagine and a car still needs to feel like a car, not a driving computer. Smiley

The Taycan is a car, very well said...the Tesla is a gadget. Not sure what you prefer but I think most people would prefer the car.

--

Whoopsy:

Here is something extremely interesting.

[...]

That's very interesting. I'm sure that many of the people that have a deposit and have been waiting would be very unhappy if they knew about this. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688975 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408915 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255621 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234881 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65461 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857737 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773693 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM