Crown

Board: Lamborghini Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Sportauto Supertest LP560-4

Here are the key results:

NBR: 7.52
    HHR: 1.11,3
    0-200: 11.6s
    200-0: 133.9m
    Speed on Doettinger Hoehe: 288kph
    Weight of test car: 1590kg

Obviously, the results are rather disappointing. Even more so as Sportauto tried 3 (!) different LP560-4. The first two had serious suspension issues (very instable setup), the last was better (changed suspension setup!). However, the car suffered from a poorly programmed ABS.

In summary: a total disaster

Re: Sportauto Supertest LP560-4

Why is it so heavy!!!!!!!!!

ouch

Slower than a 997 FL with PDK and cups...

...and as fast as 997 Turbo with Cups.

What is the problem with LP560-4? Apparently suspension setup. Also new engine is very powerfull and this is another problem for not-so-good chassis...

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

What is the problem with LP560-4? Apparently suspension setup. Also new engine is very powerfull and this is another problem for not-so-good chassis...

IMO Lamborghini need a bit more Audi input on the suspension area!

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

100% true. Also, the ABS brake system seems to be flawed. The ABS setup seems to have massive problems with the Corsa tires...

Biggest issue I have with this test: how can it be that Lamborghini gets three (!) chances to achieve a good test result and still the outcome is a nightmare? Who would buy a car with serious brake issues to start with

I don't know what the issue is with the brakes (are they carbon? )

But I do know the suspension is completely new. As a matter of fact, the rear suspension and subframe is directly ported from the Audi R8. In addition all the suspension mounting points have new bushings.

Hmmm, it had to be a tire issue. Amazing how these news cars are very very finicky about the kind of tires that are put on them.

Yes, suspension is partially taken from R8... Just not Magentic Ride for example. Also somehow new 5.2L engine like R8s longer wheel base more then shorter LP560-4 as you will see when Audi introduces R8 V10. It will be faster on any track then LP560-4.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

100% true. Also, the ABS brake system seems to be flawed. The ABS setup seems to have massive problems with the Corsa tires...

Biggest issue I have with this test: how can it be that Lamborghini gets three (!) chances to achieve a good test result and still the outcome is a nightmare? Who would buy a car with serious brake issues to start with

Totally agree. In the recent history, it is the biggest disappointment, even more than that of the 997tt.

And as so judiciously pointed out they had 3 attempts!

And thanks to the Supertest to put on the spot the true hiearchy within the sports car world.

Other tests may suggest the LP560-4 is on paar with the GT2 And 430 Scuderia, but it is not.
    These 2 remain the 2 ultimate sportscars one can acquire IMHO.

Funny how this test contradicts other tests that indicate that the 560-4 is a seriously quick and planted machine. I am referring to to the recent CAR PCOTY and not only that of course.

Quote:
    REALZEUS said:
    Funny how this test contradicts other tests that indicate that the 560-4 is a seriously quick and planted machine. I am referring to to the recent CAR PCOTY and not only that of course.

Sportauto may have some credibility problems. Are we to believe they are they only ones that know how to drive and test a car?

Quote:
    REALZEUS said:

I agree and have a hard time understanding this. I'd like to add some comments based on SA's test documentation to clarify the lap time:

a. the newly-introduced bushings on the first and second press car caused, according to v. Saurma, a very instable car during load changes, the third car, equipped with the traditional elastomer bushings, was much more civilized in this regard

b. for some reason, the ABS system did not perfectly operate with the Pirelli sport tires, obviously lacking appropriate adaption. The somewhat longer brake distances were seen as the main reason for the resulting Nurburgring laptime. According to SA, the car would have even beaten the Superleggera's 7.46 otherwise.

c. the car's handling must have been more demanding than, as Kreso stated, on the R8 despite similiar suspension geometry.

Still, I cannot see the complaints I have read above. After all, unlike the Scuderia or GT2, I would not view the LP560-4 as a track tool so, in my personal opinion, the Nurburgring performance is somewhat negligible to me. Unlike the other two, it is not especially aimned at that purpose.

Disappointing for sure, but it's still a nice looking machine. They will get it sorted out.

Quote:
    Heist said:
    I don't know what the issue is with the brakes (are they carbon? )

But I do know the suspension is completely new. As a matter of fact, the rear suspension and subframe is directly ported from the Audi R8. In addition all the suspension mounting points have new bushings.

Hmmm, it had to be a tire issue. Amazing how these news cars are very very finicky about the kind of tires that are put on them.

In fact, the new suspension mounting points were the source of the problems with the first two cars. In the third car they used the older suspension mounting which seemed to work better.

The problem with the brakes is the ABS setup.

Tires worked well, BTW. It was just the rest of the car which was not OK

Quote:
    REALZEUS said:

That indeed highlights why most of us don't give much about the various (and partly dubious) magazine tests. Look, for example, at the test results AUM posted in "Car of the Year" award. In this list the LP560-4 seems to perform well... Also, the GTR seems to perform well...

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    REALZEUS said:

Sportauto may have some credibility problems. Are we to believe they are they only ones that know how to drive and test a car?

Yes, indeed. Their test results are the most relevant by far. This car seems to be flawed

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Quote:
    REALZEUS said:

I agree and have a hard time understanding this. I'd like to add some comments based on SA's test documentation to clarify the lap time:

a. the newly-introduced bushings on the first and second press car caused, according to v. Saurma, a very instable car during load changes, the third car, equipped with the traditional elastomer bushings, was much more civilized in this regard

b. for some reason, the ABS system did not perfectly operate with the Pirelli sport tires, obviously lacking appropriate adaption. The somewhat longer brake distances were seen as the main reason for the resulting Nurburgring laptime. According to SA, the car would have even beaten the Superleggera's 7.46 otherwise.

c. the car's handling must have been more demanding than, as Kreso stated, on the R8 despite similiar suspension geometry.

Still, I cannot see the complaints I have read above. After all, unlike the Scuderia or GT2, I would not view the LP560-4 as a track tool so, in my personal opinion, the Nurburgring performance is somewhat negligible to me. Unlike the other two, it is not especially aimned at that purpose.

Two comments on your reasonable points above:

1. Lamborghini should have not released a car that had not been developed fully and thoroughly tested in all areas. It is not a supermini but a supercar and even small details count.

2. NBR may be officially a track but really it is the nearest to a demanding road route. So behaviour and performance is significant for any road car too. They even test SUVs there.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Yes, suspension is partially taken from R8... Just not Magentic Ride for example. Also somehow new 5.2L engine like R8s longer wheel base more then shorter LP560-4 as you will see when Audi introduces R8 V10. It will be faster on any track then LP560-4.

I thought the new LP had Magna-Ride? No?
    And it's not surprising about the wheelbase thing - every designer knows as you increase HP, generally you have to lengthen wheelbase to help better manage the power.

That was the fatal flaw with the early 911 Turbos and A/C Cobras. Wicked amounts of horsepower and torque on a short wheelbase = disasterous handling.

So R8 V10...the CAR of 2009 Kreso?

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    REALZEUS said:

Yes, indeed. Their test results are the most relevant by far. This car seems to be flawed

What I don't understand is we are led to believe that all car manufacturers take their cars to the Ring to tune them for high performance driving. Certainly you would think a German company would have had the LP560-4 tuned right for the Sportauto run. Yet VoS found two cars unstable and almost not drivable? WTF?

evo and Autocar have tested the car at the Isle of Man (very fast roads, no speed limits) and they haven't got any problem with its handling.

Could it be that SportAuto tested the standard (i.e. soft) suspension model?

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Here are the key results:

NBR: 7.52
    HHR: 1.11,3
    0-200: 11.6s
    200-0: 133.9m
    Speed on Doettinger Hoehe: 288kph
    Weight of test car: 1590kg

Obviously, the results are rather disappointing. Even more so as Sportauto tried 3 (!) different LP560-4. The first two had serious suspension issues (very instable setup), the last was better (changed suspension setup!). However, the car suffered from a poorly programmed ABS.

In summary: a total disaster

430 Scuderia
    Nurburgring Nordschleife in 7:39 mins
    Hockenheim short track in 1:10.3 mins
    0-200 km/h 11.4 s
    Speed on Doettinger Hoehe: 281kph
    kerb weight: 1402 kg

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    REALZEUS said:

This result does put a question mark on SA credibility. And that is/was their major asset.

Reason will soon dictate that a consensus of at least ten tests by reputable publications replace SA as the ultimate arbiter of performance. Obviously any one test can be skewed for a number of reasons.

Quote:
    AUM said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    REALZEUS said:

This result does put a question mark on SA credibility. And that is/was their major asset.

Reason will soon dictate that a consensus of at least ten tests by reputable publications replace SA as the ultimate arbiter of performance. Obviously any one test can be skewed for a number of reasons.

A great writer, poet, philopher and car enthusiast used to say that he always has two watches or more when he wants to be accurate about timekeeping. The same applies for car mags I reckon.

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Quote:
    REALZEUS said:

1. Lamborghini should have not released a car that had not been developed fully and thoroughly tested in all areas. It is not a supermini but a supercar and even small details count.

Correct, I agree. How can Lambo release the LP-560 without implementing a serious development program at the Ring? Are they crazy? This is a Supercar!!

Also, I must admit, a Longer wheel base provides a very stable platform for power delivery.

Here are some other test results of LP-560 vs 997 Turbo and 997 GT2

It is prudent to pay more attention to the consensus than to any one mag. If only for the reason that a car may have a problem in one test. Not to mention a host of other variables.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.php?page_id=compare&car1=47d02484a8b12&car2=4585844a79f19

http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.php?page_id=compare&car1=47d02484a8b12&car2=46a06c22ab41a

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Quote:
    REALZEUS said:

Two comments on your reasonable points above:

2. NBR may be officially a track but really it is the nearest to a demanding road route. So behaviour and performance is significant for any road car too. They even test SUVs there.

Totally agree with your point 2.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690535 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409793 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256044 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235283 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65650 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858465 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774749 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM