Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

What do you guys dislike about the 997TT the most

Gents: I loved the feel of the clutch in my C2S and C4S but I just hate the soft clutch in my 997TT. I just can't get over this issue. I also thought the C2s/C4s both sounded better than the TT, the turbos kind of muffler the sound more. I fixed that problem by changing the exhaust. Does anyone share the same sentiments

Re: What do you guys dislike about the 997TT the most

I dislikeD the stock wheels the most, over the crappy exhaust sound, over the soft handling, over the turbo lag.

All of which are now fixed for 100% enjoyment

Never had an issue with the Turbo clutch and I came from a C2S too.

1.The front lip spoiler/air dam is totally trashed b/c its too low for my NYC/LI driving.
    2. Tip tranny (even in sport chrono) doesn't downshift fast enough.
    3. Suspension is too soft even in sport chrono for very spirited driving.
    4. The front end pushes heavily when going too fast into turns.
    5. Stock wheels are fugly.
    6. Could use more hp.

Thankfully 3-6 is resolvable with $$$. The low air dam is a necessary evil to maintain downforce, proper airflow, etc. The tip tranny is good 90% of the time. I think the PDK tranny in 5 years (after they work out the inevitable issues) will be the way to go. For now, I'd say to mod the TT the way you want and by say 2012 or so the "new" PDK TT should be a 600 hp beastie BEFORE modding begins.

Re: What do you guys dislike about the 997TT the m

I hate the fact that the homelink (aka garage door opener) does not work when the car is off, which means that you have to either (a) open the garage door before you get in the car or (b) start the car before you open the garage door.

FRIGGIN WING! I feel like a poser in a Pontiac.

I _know_ the stock TT "aerokit" could have been designed with a retractible spoiler just like the NA 997/S.

For Porsche to put a decorative wing on the car really is embarassing to me.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Need proof that the TT NEEDS that uglya** wing.

(sorry: bad mood)

The way the keyfob opens the front trunk just by looking at it.
    The way the motor races on startup sometimes.
    Fugly rims.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    FRIGGIN WING! I feel like a poser in a Pontiac.

I _know_ the stock TT "aerokit" could have been designed with a retractible spoiler just like the NA 997/S.

For Porsche to put a decorative wing on the car really is embarassing to me.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Need proof that the TT NEEDS that uglya** wing.

(sorry: bad mood)

hey mmd, i am no 'wingman' either....trust me, since i got my gt2 i hardly even notice my turbo's wing....

then again, when driving my gt2 and seeing the wing in the rear mirror, i try to out accelerate it....somehow it catches up by the time i am at standstill....

Quote:
    Alex_997TT said:
    I dislikeD the stock wheels the most, over the crappy exhaust sound, over the soft handling, over the turbo lag.

All of which are now fixed for 100% enjoyment

Never had an issue with the Turbo clutch and I came from a C2S too.

yup, my wheels are gone too. I hated them. The new mercedes SL AMG has similar wheels

Heck I should compile a list and forward it to Porsche

Quote:
    edz said:
    Heck I should compile a list and forward it to Porsche

While your at it ask them if they are going to start using paddles with the PDK instead those ridiculous buttons on the steering wheel.

Lack of volume from the exhaust!

Exhaust tips

Rediculous understeer

Lack of Bluetooth (in my car anyway)

Quote:
    hatchback said:
    I hate the fact that the homelink (aka garage door opener) does not work when the car is off, which means that you have to either (a) open the garage door before you get in the car or (b) start the car before you open the garage door.

Most, if not all, cars operate this way. Just turn the key to the 'on' position without starting the engine, and it will work just fine.

The most I hate is that is not a GT2...

The most I like is that is not a GT".....

I know...I am able to perferm doublethink...

But thats why I love both of them!

Don't like the stock wheels

Don't like the fact you have to get the y shaped steering wheel if you wanted multi function

Shape of exhaust tips

Sound of stock exhaust

Lack of ipod and bluetooth

While we're at it..., Lemme show you this thing I did. I "hated" the exhaust styling and was thinking of customizing to get back to basics something like this comp photo.

Keep in mind the photoshop skills I have suk. Would look cleaned up somehow in reality; some nice trim piece with a round hole?

Nevertheless, I like the simple dual tips: classic and un-fabulous.

Chris,

For 2007 car, you could have the dealer re-program the key so that there is a longer delay between button pressed and trunk opening. This will take care of the accidental opening.
    Incidentally 2008 key was re-designed -- shape of button is changed -- so that this no longer happens.

Quote:
    TT Surgeon said:
    The way the keyfob opens the front trunk just by looking at it.
    The way the motor races on startup sometimes.
    Fugly rims.

I like your idea, but to be honest the photoshop picture of the tail pipe has a Frankenstein character to it . I like single-round also, but given the shape of the opening, I think double-round is the best compromise. Fabspeed stainless steel tip is shown.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    While we're at it..., Lemme show you this thing I did. I "hated" the exhaust styling and was thinking of customizing to get back to basics something like this comp photo.

Keep in mind the photoshop skills I have suk. Would look cleaned up somehow in reality; some nice trim piece with a round hole?

Nevertheless, I like the simple dual tips: classic and un-fabulous.

Cannga, that thing makes me drool every time I see shots of it. Dang.

^^^Thanks Eric. Anyway, here is my list of complaints:

1. Suspension too soft. This is a big one as it came VERY close to making me sell the car.
    2. Exhaust note that sounds like a vacuum cleaner.
    3. Stock wheels.
    4. Clutch and steering have a tad too much assist. OTOH the light controls make this car a perfect daily driver, so this complaint is a plus/minus. I had 997 C2 and have driven GT2: C2 is better than Turbo, GT2 is extremely heavy and makes it a "difficult" daily driver in Los Angeles for sure. 4 does not bother me nearly as much as 1 to 3 above.
    5. The oval exhaust tip. Designer should be fired. Exhaust tips are meant to be ROUND.
    6. "Comfort" related LOL -- Very minor issue ok guys?: Navigation system ok but not great. No bluetooth & ipod connection.

Now that I've taken care of issues 1 to 3, I am in paradise and miss my car any day that I don't drive it.

lack of exhaust character/note
    no bluetooth/ipod connection
    ridiculous factory alignment
    no wheel options (though the stockers are growing on me again)
    the tacked-on looking foglamps

Quote:
    cannga said:
    I like your idea, but to be honest the photoshop picture of the tail pipe has a Frankenstein character to it .

Frankenstein! LOL. Funny. I get what you're saying. HaHa!

How about the stupid passenger window? that guy should be fired as well

Most of what you guys listed as dislikes were pretty much the same as my own. I had them all fixed except for the front lip (which ironically I had painted so that actually makes it worse)

wheels... rear wing/spoiler... wheels... wheels... WHEELS...

Looks like the 997.2 Turbo's new Spyder wheels option will be VERY popular!!!

Slatty, venty, wingy.

I knew the only way I could tolerate buying and owning the car would be if I ordered it in a DARK color to downplay all the stuff going on.

Here's an excellent comp for illustrating this point:

Sorry, I can't see passed the butt-ugly wheels in either pic above

What I dislike most about the looks of the turbo is that the various add-ons really spoil the plain, beautiful lines of the basic 997. The foglights, which protrude from the line, the rear bumper, which extends out of the rear light cluster, the front bumper that protrudes from the design line. Also, when the 997 just came out, everybody went berserk over the fact that the little wing in the inlet on the hips was stolen from the techart or gembala design. Nowadays, nobody seems to be bothered by that fact anymore.
    -Joost-

MMD,

My 2 cents: Sorry but they both look very busy still -- even stressful. I am surprised, as much as the slats bother you, that your car still has the stock Turbo wheels. I used to think the Turbo's hopelessly busy look could not be corrected, until I changed the wheels.

IMO, the wheels, *alone*, account for 95% of the Turbo's busy look. Just count: there are 10 slats, AND 15 little bars on each wheel. 40 slats, 60 little bars per car; that's a lot of bars and slats!

Other multi spoke wheels in theory have just many spokes, but end up looking a lot less nerve-wracking because of the lack of linear slatty shapes and bars and the stressful polished metallic/dark grey contrast look of stock. Just my opinions as obviously this is a matter of personal preference.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Slatty, venty, wingy.

I knew the only way I could tolerate buying and owning the car would be if I ordered it in a DARK color to downplay all the stuff going on.

Here's an excellent comp for illustrating this point:

Quote:
    cannga said:
    MMD,

My 2 cents: Sorry but they both look very busy still -- even stressful. I am surprised, as much as the slats bother you, that your car still has the stock Turbo wheels. I used to think the Turbo's hopelessly busy look could not be corrected, until I changed the wheels.

IMO, the wheels, *alone*, account for 95% of the Turbo's busy look. Just count: there are 10 slats, AND 15 little bars on each wheel. 40 slats, 60 little bars per car; that's a lot of bars and slats!

Yup. As usual that's an excellent analysis C.

I'm too lazy to change the wheels.

I look at my car and I'm somewhat pleased overall..., not sure what the percent would be. I'm never extremely pleased because the wing won't go away.

Other times I snicker and shake my head when I see the wheels, and the exhast tips and then I just start the car, let it warm up then beat the sh*t out of it until something else distracts me. (

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781593 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442755 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263443 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261819 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85927 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5969 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881587 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819413 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM