Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche Confirms New 911 RSR GTE Car for 2017

I'm not sure this is the right way to go but....

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/porsche-planning-new-911-rsr-gte-car-for-2017/

Re: Porsche Confirms New 911 RSR GTE Car for 2017

So the plan is to compete with a mid-rear engine and (probably) turbo charged car in the GTE class, with the engine and gearbox trading places and the whole configuration moved as far forward as possible.

Not much left then of the classic 911 set up, the 911 bodywork will become misleading camouflage.

Also, this means no mid-engine race and street car will see the light of day in the foreseeable future.  

In the class below, the new GT3 R will be a more genuine 911 race car, given shares its engine at least with the street legal RS. The same will apply to the new Cup car for next season. 

...and much in the same vein as BMW (with all its waivers), really goes against the original concept of GTE (which were supposed to be road going based).

Might this be a move towards a mid-engine platform ala the rumored 960?
    We've seen in the recent past that Porsche is investing a lot in testing techniques in the motorsports befor applying them to the street cars (GT3 rsr hybrid, 919, etc)... So maybe this is a move towards something like that?

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Since the GT3 has no rear seats they totally could and should move the engine...

I seriously doubt it.

My hunch is that moving the engine/gearbox forward will be, albeit to a much less radical extent than in the new RSR, the hallmark of the 992 generation as well. Possibly also to create some room for manouevre for hybrid system components. 

Justto clarify, for the time being my doubts relate to the prospects for a would-be 960.

I am totally with SciFrog on his point, at least as far as GT models are concerned. I am not sure if that is a viable configuration strategy for the other Carrera and Turbo models, though.

I wonder if this mid course switch is a result of reduction in development funding for completely new chassis (96x) because of the VW emission issue.  Appears they will be leveraging  components of Cayman configuration for the next generation RSR.

--

2014 Porsche 991 C4S Black with Sports Design Package,  2013 Porsche Cayenne Dark Blue Metallic, New York

bobr:

I wonder if this mid course switch is a result of reduction in development funding for completely new chassis (96x) because of the VW emission issue.  Appears they will be leveraging  components of Cayman configuration for the next generation RSR.

Struck me as sort of an inexpensive short-term solution as well.

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/123931-vw-chief-promises-motorsport-backing

--

2014 Porsche 991 C4S Black with Sports Design Package,  2013 Porsche Cayenne Dark Blue Metallic, New York

Grant:
    bobr:

At first I also thought that might be the reason, but it looks like development work on the car has been going on for six months, so way before the diesel scandal.

Spyderidol:
    Grant:
    bobr:

At first I also thought that might be the reason, but it looks like development work on the car has been going on for six months, so way before the diesel scandal.

A number of people I have spoken  with Smiley  confirmed a mid-engine car. Also, I thought the change in course may be a result of the performance of the new Ford GT and Ferrari's switch to the turbo. Understand the Ford GT is a monster.  Will be interesting to see when the car breaks cover next spring. Perhaps we will be looking at the basis for the next GT3.

--

bobr:
    Spyderidol:
    Grant:
    bobr:

A number of people I have spoken  with Smiley  confirmed a mid-engine car. Also, I thought the change in course may be a result of the performance of the new Ford GT and Ferrari's switch to the turbo. Understand the Ford GT is a monster.  Will be interesting to see when the car breaks cover next spring. Perhaps we will be looking at the basis for the next GT3.

I suspect that the proposed move to a mid-engined layout is not a short-notice knee-jerk reaction to the current competition so much as the acknowledgement that Porsche finally has to grasp the nettle of moving away from a rear-engined layout for GT racing, even if it means that the RSR becomes just a "silhouette" version of the rear-engined street 911. 

From my understanding of the interview with Dr Walliser, since the racing programme for 2017 has yet to be confirmed, this mid-engined 911 silhouette concept might be retained beyond 2016?      Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    bobr:
    Spyderidol:
    Grant:
    bobr:

I suspect that the proposed move to a mid-engined layout is not a short-notice knee-jerk reaction to the current competition so much as the acknowledgement that Porsche finally has to grasp the nettle of moving away from a rear-engined layout for GT racing, even if it means that the RSR becomes just a "silhouette" version of the rear-engined street 911. 

From my understanding of the interview with Dr Walliser, since the racing programme for 2017 has yet to be confirmed, this mid-engined 911 silhouette concept might be retained beyond 2016?      Smiley

I'm not quite following you.The so called silhouette car will only be raced in 2017, so beyond 2016.

The issue I have with this is that a properly designed platform for a mid-engine car is surely better than an adapted (modified) rear-engine platform.

Anyway, lets see what they come up with.

Spyderidol:
    fritz:
    bobr:
    Spyderidol:
    Grant:
    bobr:

I'm not quite following you.The so called silhouette car will only be raced in 2017, so beyond 2016.

The issue I have with this is that a properly designed platform for a mid-engine car is surely better than an adapted (modified) rear-engine platform.

Not too surprising. Smiley  I should have written " .... might be retained beyond 2017".  
    (Maybe I'm having problems accepting such long lead times for racing programmes!).

The text of the article is rather ambiguous in several points:
    "Walliser did confirm that a bespoke mid-engine Porsche GTE car was in the pipeline, initially for 2016, but the decision was made to instead remain with a 911-based model instead.
    “When I took over, we justified the technical concepts again,” he said. “I made some decisions but that delayed the program by approximately half a year.
    “As you cannot do a mid-season entry, [the new car] will be for 2017… We have a high commitment to the 911. It’s our [key] sports car and it stands for Porsche.”"

I take it that the "bespoke mid-engine Porsche GTE car ... in the pipeline" would be a completely new car not based on the 911 (rumoured 960?), and it is still unclear whether it has been scrubbed completely or just postponed until after decisions have been finalised regarding activities (and budgets) for 2017. Those activities might have to include developing and building that new car as a replacement for the 911 "silhouette" car for use after the 2017 season, making the silhouette just a stop-gap car.   Smiley  "We have a high commitment to the 911" is not  necessarily the same as saying "We decided we had to stick with the 911 shape".

We may  -   or may not  -  learn more after 12th, December.

--

fritz

I guess a racing mid-engined 911 is not without precedent - we had the 993 and 996 GT1 in the late 90's...

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Grant:

I guess a racing mid-engined 911 is not without precedent - we had the 993 and 996 GT1 in the late 90's...

Yes, but there were still rear-engined 993 GT2 cars racing alongside them (OK, behind them Smiley) as 911 proxies at that time. 

--

fritz

Well you'll always have the Cup Cars etc. to fly the banner for 911 racing. I would have to think a 960 or something other than a 911 that had been cut up to be mid-engined would also be inherently more aerodynamic as well. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

fritz:
    Spyderidol:
    fritz:
    bobr:
    Spyderidol:
    Grant:
    bobr:

Not too surprising. Smiley  I should have written " .... might be retained beyond 2017".  
    (Maybe I'm having problems accepting such long lead times for racing programmes!).

The text of the article is rather ambiguous in several points:
    "Walliser did confirm that a bespoke mid-engine Porsche GTE car was in the pipeline, initially for 2016, but the decision was made to instead remain with a 911-based model instead.
    “When I took over, we justified the technical concepts again,” he said. “I made some decisions but that delayed the program by approximately half a year.
    “As you cannot do a mid-season entry, [the new car] will be for 2017… We have a high commitment to the 911. It’s our [key] sports car and it stands for Porsche.”"

I take it that the "bespoke mid-engine Porsche GTE car ... in the pipeline" would be a completely new car not based on the 911 (rumoured 960?), and it is still unclear whether it has been scrubbed completely or just postponed until after decisions have been finalised regarding activities (and budgets) for 2017. Those activities might have to include developing and building that new car as a replacement for the 911 "silhouette" car for use after the 2017 season, making the silhouette just a stop-gap car.   Smiley  "We have a high commitment to the 911" is not  necessarily the same as saying "We decided we had to stick with the 911 shape".

We may  -   or may not  -  learn more after 12th, December.

--

fritz

My apologies! I should have known you meant 2017.

I think what was in fact meant is that there was a mid-engine non 911 based car in the pipeline, but that has been scrapped (for the foreseeable future) .. I don't think the "silhouette" will be a stop gap car, as I suspect development budgets will be tight (given the diesel "scandal").

I continue to think that it is a risky option given the strength of the opposition. If it works out, then great, but if it does not, then the 911's reputation will be tarnished. I suppose if they screw it up , they can always rely on BoP.

I personally think that Porsche missed a golden opportunity to free itself from the 911 straight jacket .  Porsche, of course, don't see it that way...and they are usually correct. Let's hope they are right this time too.

Spyderidol, I agree with your thoughts 100%.

Wow - finally no more Mezger engine in the RSR.  In fact they mention the Carrera engine and not the GT3 engine! Sweet!

Pictures and information of the new car will be revealed tomorrow.

Spyderidol:

Pictures and information of the new car will be revealed tomorrow.

Looking forward to it! Smiley

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Me too...blush

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

+1, can't wait to see it blush

146304409776401.jpg
    146304409785402.jpg
    146304409786403.jpg
    146304409786804.jpg

Great pics, any technical specs yet?

Very wide, and no pics from the rear...for obvious reasons.

I don't see any substantial air inlets in the front... or is the entire lower front bumper mesh?

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Joost:

I don't see any substantial air inlets in the front... or is the entire lower front bumper mesh?

It is, indeed. 

--

fritz

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM