Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Bilstein PSS10 Damptronics: A Must For The Tur

GT,

I was considering installing those monoballs in mine but it sounds like that might not be a good idea after all if you're experiencing clunking sounds. I was told that it would make the suspension action "smoother" but I'm not sure if it's really necessary.

My setup is nice and quiet. Glad I stopped where I did.

Thinking of going to the soft settings for the GMG sways too over winter months. Anyone experienced how different this is from medium settings?

Alex try the softer settings, the difference is very noticeable.
    Atomic, after trying all these components I would definately recommend the following components;
    - toe links
    - dog bones
    - solid thrust bushings f/r
    - monoball rear
    - rs engine mounts

Actually it makes a lot of sense for the rear to just buy the GT3 cup lower control arm that comes from the factory with the solid thrust bushing and the monoball! That costs less, its a factory component and gives you added ajustment capability. It also looks very solid!
    Now regarding the front control arm, the GT3 cup arm comes with a rubber thrust bushing and also rubber bushing for the connection to the bridge (instead of monoball). Hence you have the choice of either buying that and changing to solid thrust bushing (i did that) or just adding that the solid thrust bushing to the stock tt lower arm. The former option of course also gives you maximum adjustability for camber, and that why i chose it.
    The monoball in the front seems to have different effect to different cars. In some cars it does not make noise as it fits perfectly, in mine it has a fraction of a milimetre of slack it seems and thus sometimes it makes a clicking noise (just like the tarrett toe links do when turning at max angle). So the jury is out on those.
    The engine mounts are pretty good as well when cornering (and sliding) since the stock mount really allow too much engine movement. Very noticeable once trying those.
    Some pictures to follow..

front GT3 Cup control arm converted with gmg solid thrust bushing and monoball

Stock 997 rear cup control arm (has built in solid bushing and monoball)

Stock 997 front cup control arm (has built in rubber bushing and no monoball)

dog bones, rear toe link

Yes I would Alex, at least because this is so easy to do. Even the softest setting of the GMG is 30% stiffer than stock.

I have not tried GMG soft, but have tried GMG middle and stiff. And like GT, I've found that the rear sway setting affects ride quality. More than I had expected, and more so than the front.

Quote:
    Alex_997TT said:
    My setup is nice and quiet. Glad I stopped where I did.

Thinking of going to the soft settings for the GMG sways too over winter months. Anyone experienced how different this is from medium settings?

GT2 intake

GT,

Nice pictures and nice components. I am impressed! Thanks for the interesting report. Now I REALLY would like to test drive your car!

GT2 seats

Suspension overview

Final product! (with dymags and GT2 side skirts)

Did the GT2 intakes make a difference for you?

That I will know only after the ecu has been tuned to adapt for that intake.
    Without that, the boost effectively drops (and so does the intake temperature).
    Will know in a few weeks and will revert.
    So far I can feel the reduced boost but also I can feel that the ignition timing is more aggressive.

That's a mean looking TT!

GT, I did not do the monoballs in front, just the solid thrust bushings(gmg). I do not get any 'clicking' noise in front at all. I will occasionally get a click in the rear (toe links), but overall the ride is pretty damn good, NOT overly stiff at all.
    What Farnbacherloles did on mine was to install gt3 cup front trailing arms on the rear, as the solid rear gmg thrust bushings are thinner than the stockers, just fits slightly better.
    Also, keep in mind, gmg sells two different solid thrust bushings, one adjustable, one not. I went with the non-adjustable bc of my choice of gmg springs rather than coilovers wouldn't avail me to the added -camber with only a -20mm drop. So you can add the gmg adj thrust bushings to your stock arms and maintain 'stock monoballs', and still get adjustability, that would be the way to go imo.
    As far as the sways, I've tried stiff f/r, only slightly stiffer than medium on the track with R cmpds, have not tried full soft f/r, but might this winter when driving with snows.
    At the track, the setup is untouchable.

Ok last iteration. My mechanic took out the monoballs from the front and reinstalled the factory cup bushing instead (this is different and more reinforced than the tt stock bushing). It seems that Porsche knew sth when they prefered not to use the monoball in the front but only in the back on the cup car..
    Car now makes no noise at all, and feels overall quite a bit softer. Part of this difference is surely attributed to the fact that I just put on new corsas at the same time. Took the car for a spin and the ride is now very acceptable, I would say car is ok now for a dialy driver. Hitting potholes is still harsh but then again I always try to avoid them.
    However I would not say that the monoball is a "mistake" for the front since in my case the autopsy showed that the noise was the result of non perfect fit on one side. So it could be that a properly fitted one would be just fine. The added benefit of those monoballs is in the steering input, you can feel once initiating the turn that there is a bit more slack now, but the compromise is worth it. The car is almost perfect now.
    And I say almost because after all these components it is obvious that those damptronics are the weak link now.. just too soft. But again while motons would be a night and day difference (according to everyone I ve spoken to), you would lose pasm, daily driveability etc..
    So as others have said so many times, it is always just a matter of compromise. And this setup is now imo a pretty damn good one.
    I strongly recommend it to whoever wants to get the best handling possible while keeping the car still reasonably comfortable on the road.
    Finally I just installed the GT2 type titanium exhaust from oakley and I really like it! The weight difference can be felt in the rear, the resonance is less than the CG (thank god!), the sound is truly very very nice! More metalic with less resonance is low/mid range, same scream in high rpm. Those titanium tips that turn blueish black from the heat are also pretty cool!
    I ll be able to report the power effect of this exhaust and the intake once car goes on dyno tuning in 2 weeks.

GT, if the Damptronics feel too soft you might be able to change out the 60mm springs for stiffer coils. Depending on the increased stiffness the dampeners may or may not be suitable. If needed, Bilstein in California can rebuild the dampeners to better match the new spring rates

I think the next step (if there is one) will be motons..
    Picture of new exhaust. I really really like the sound and looks.

#2 (I love the blue tone)

eclou:
    GT, if the Damptronics feel too soft you might be able to change out the 60mm springs for stiffer coils. Depending on the increased stiffness the dampeners may or may not be suitable. If needed, Bilstein in California can rebuild the dampeners to better match the new spring rates
    (Ok let me try to repost as it seems I am doing something wrong and am having trouble finding my first reply to this.)

Not for GT of course, but for anyone new to suspension modding, this is one key advantage to changing to a coilover system (spring + dampener) like Bilstein. The spring is in fact a standard size and can be changed to something stiffer, or softer, as needed.

Bilstein USA itself suggests this route as a possibility, especially if one is to bring the car to the track often.

BTW, RSS, a company located in Southern California and incidentally the US distributor of Cargraphic Exhaust, has just released their version of the sway bar. Interestingly enough, the package comes with adjustable rear drop link and costs 600, as opposed to my GMG sway with rear Tarett drop link which costs 900 or so. The Tarett does look a bit more robust though, and definitely much prettier Smiley LOL.
    --
    Cargraphic Exhaust/PSS10 http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=449462&an=0&page=0#449462

Were you in Athens with this car before 2-3 weeks?

Yes it was in Athens. Now its in switzerland getting ready for P Ricard track day in november.

I saw it a couple of times in psychiko, really nice modifications! And the rims look amazing! What brand are they? I was thinking of putting them on the gt2.

they are dymags. I've just sent u PM.

Woaoohhh, GT...what a set of wheels! How could I get the Dymags for my 997.1GT3?
    --

------- MY07 997 GT3 White, CS, PCCB, Full Leather/Alcantara in Black

------- MY07 997C2S --GONE

function_analysi:
    Woaoohhh, GT...what a set of wheels! How could I get the Dymags for my 997.1GT3?
    --

------- MY07 997 GT3 White, CS, PCCB, Full Leather/Alcantara in Black

You might want to check out this thread also:

Pics of Shattered Dymag Wheel & Report of Problem: http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20064454/Pics_of_Shattered_Dymag_Wheel__Report_of_Problem/page1.html [link fixed]

--
    Cargraphic Exhaust/PSS10 http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/449462/Bilste...

Thx Cannga. Actually the link you've posted doesn't work, seems it's a bug of the new forum. Pls PM directly the appropriate url.
    --

------- MY07 997.1 GT3White, CS, PCCB, Full Leather/Alcantara in Black

Yes you can use them on the GT3. The advantage on the road will be substantial as the gt3 wheels are even a little bit heavier than the turbo ones. I ordered the titanium bolts from poggipolini since they save you another 2kgs approx all around. I would order the exact factory dimensions (and insist on them) as well as the new magnelium centre which apparently is better for leaks etc. Apparently the weight is the same with magnesium. In my car the weight saving was around 4kgs per corner. For yours it should be around 4.5 I think. The car will feel as if you took off 60-80kgs curb weight. You surely have to be more careful curbing them while parking etc (if you do scratch then they need to be locally retouched) but overall I think its worth it.

Yes you can use them on the GT3. The advantage on the road will be substantial as the gt3 wheels are even a little bit heavier than the turbo ones. I ordered the titanium bolts from poggipolini since they save you another 2kgs approx all around. I would order the exact factory dimensions (and insist on them) as well as the new magnelium centre which apparently is better for leaks etc. Apparently the weight is the same with magnesium. In my car the weight saving was around 4kgs per corner. For yours it should be around 4.5 I think. The car will feel as if you took off 60-80kgs curb weight. You surely have to be more careful curbing them while parking etc (if you do scratch then they need to be locally retouched) but overall I think its worth it.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780108 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442410 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263201 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261525 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85719 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5861 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881267 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818231 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM