Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

I saw the ZR-1

Gents:

I apologize for not being able to take a picture as i froze when I heard the beast behind me this morning in down town Los Angeles. A brand new ZR-1 in dark charcoal gray. While I am not a Corvette fan I have always admired and respected the Z06 but the ZR-1 is a different story. It screams at you; hey look at me I am the new ZR-1

The driver passed me, then slowed down, pressed the clutch, reved up the engine and took off. He wanted to get everyone's attention and he did.

It is an awsome machine but at $103K + markup I doubt if could justify having one next to my 997TT any time soon

The car is just beautiful, sounds magnificant and looks scary with the fat rubber and the ZR-1 decals + the stylish spoiler.

Bravo GM, you have done a fantastic job

Re: I saw the ZR-1

Real numbers are finally coming out now in the press as the embargo has been lifted . Here's the Motor Trend test video. They got 0-60 in 3.3 sec ; 11.2 sec @ 130.5 mph in the qtr mile , braking from 60 at 97 ft and 1.1 -1.15g on the constant radius skid pad.

Motor Trend ZR1 First Test Video

I think the only person in LA right now with a Dark Charcoal ZR-1 is Jay Leno.

Perhaps it was being borrowed and appropiately flogged.

GM started delivery?

Yeah, GM started delivery many weeks ago, and I've heard there are already 250+ out there, with about 26 on dealers lot across the USA as of today (according to this wonderful site if you're looking for a vette: http://jeffhardy.com/lookupvette.php).

That new Cyber Gray color is new for 2009 and is quite popular across all Corvette models. I actually ordered a Z06 in that color about a month ago, and hope to take delivery first week of November Can't wait!!!

Geoff

My girlfriend called me the other day and said she was passed by a very serious and different-looking corvette. According to her it read "ZR-something" on the back, and she was curious as to what it was. She maintained that it was much meaner looking than her best friend's fathers' Ron Fellows Z06. Could be one on the ground in Toronto then...

It could have been Jay Leno but i could not see his face. GM claims that buyers have to graduate the GM driver's safety course. JesseBank, your girl is right the Z06 looks pretty damn mean but the ZR-1 looks even meaner. They are both hot and both are a gr8 value. As I may recall the one that was auctioned a while back (Jay Leno was the rep) sold for a mere $1M

Quote:
    JesseBank said:
    My girlfriend called me the other day and said she was passed by a very serious and different-looking corvette. According to her it read "ZR-something" on the back, and she was curious as to what it was. She maintained that it was much meaner looking than her best friend's fathers' Ron Fellows Z06. Could be one on the ground in Toronto then...

there is one in Toronto and I saw it a week and a half ago around the corner from my office.
    Smoke grey colour.

Quote:
    edz said:
    Gents:

I apologize for not being able to take a picture as i froze when I heard the beast behind me this morning in down town Los Angeles. A brand new ZR-1 in dark charcoal gray. While I am not a Corvette fan I have always admired and respected the Z06 but the ZR-1 is a different story. It screams at you; hey look at me I am the new ZR-1

The driver passed me, then slowed down, pressed the clutch, reved up the engine and took off. He wanted to get everyone's attention and he did.

It is an awsome machine but at $103K + markup I doubt if could justify having one next to my 997TT any time soon

The car is just beautiful, sounds magnificant and looks scary with the fat rubber and the ZR-1 decals + the stylish spoiler.

Bravo GM, you have done a fantastic job

Sounds like a typical Corvette owner.

Quote:
    allanlambo said:

Sounds like a typical Corvette owner.

Pleeeeeze...... as a 911 owner for 22 years , I've had plenty of fellow 911 owners do the same to ME or worse when we shared the road ...esp ...Joe Racer with his aftermarket exhaust , weaving around traffic as if he were driving a ricer .

Quote:
    edz said:
    GM claims that buyers have to graduate the GM driver's safety course.

There is no requirement for taking delivery of a ZR1, but the purchase of a ZR1 comes with a free (well, you kind of pay for it LOL) 2-day course at a racing school. You have the choice of either Bondurant or Spring Mountain.

So you can flog the driving school's ZR1's without fearing to screw up yours at the track

Geoff

Looks like typical overdone GM styling. Would be great to have a more refined body as an option.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Looks like typical overdone GM styling. Would be great to have a more refined body as an option.

Last I looked, The Corvette has fewer stylized vents and slats than a, say , 997 GT2, which looks like it's loaded up with leftover parts from the Saleen S7 production line. plus we all know how " refined " those lateral fog lamp " warts " are on the 997 Turbo's fascia .

ZR1 looks absolutely fabulous. I can't wait to get the front splitter and rear winglett for my Z06.

ZR1 looks better than Turbo IMHO

Stop being such haters

I like the ZR1 except for mirrors, supercharger window, cheap looking headlights and [beep] interior.

Here's something to consider:

lol. No, those things are just plain ugly...
    When I say 'better looking' I dont really mean 'prettier'...In the same sense that a Scuderia isnt really prettier than a F430, but I'd much rather look at a Scud over a F430...

ZR-1 is far from a beautifull car, but its got loads of presece and the design is, for the most part, coherent.
    Get what I mean??

Quote:
    BC said:
    lol. No, those things are just plain ugly...
    When I say 'better looking' I dont really mean 'prettier'...In the same sense that a Scuderia isnt really prettier than a F430, but I'd much rather look at a Scud over a F430...

ZR-1 is far from a beautifull car, but its got loads of presece and the design is, for the most part, coherent.
    Get what I mean??

First lemme say I'd buy one if they looked less "processed-cheese" GM. It's an excellent car underneath and must be a trip to drive.

Design wise? Coherent? My problem with it is it retains way too many visual cues from the past. GM has to make it look like a corvette or they're afraid it won't sell. Therefore it gets more and more cluttered with details from past models. It's got too many lines, it's pointy at front bumper, headlights are aggressive-reptilian. I dunno, I can't help but think its cartoonish; trying to please as many people as possible and thus suffering. Like the Pontiac Firebird: designed to have mass appeal. We all know what mass-appeal can do to the..., I dunno..., "intelligence" of a product.

Again, I'd buy one in a second if it didn't look like a Corvette (GM product).

Quote:
    MMD said:

My problem with it is it retains way too many visual cues from the past. GM has to make it look like a corvette or they're afraid it won't sell.

My problem with it is it retains way too many visual cues from the past. PORSCHE has to make it look like a 1965 911 or they're afraid it won't sell.

Yup. I "knew" somebody would say that. Good thing Porsche started with the classic and timeless appeal of a river rock shape.

Since the "Mako Shark" (and well before) Corvette has been thru a bunch more drastic styling changes thru the years trying to maintain mass appeal.

You say they've been "trying" to maintain mass appeal... They've been selling 30,000+ unit a year every year since the C5 intro in 1997. Wouldn't you say they pretty much succeeded? At any rate, it certainly has not bombed

Geoff

The Corvette is the only sports cars to carry the same name through 6 different decades . Porsche is close behind at 5 decades with the 911 nameplate . They are "alone together" , in a good " survivor " way, through the ups and downs of the fickle sports car market by knowing their customers .

Quote:
    MKW said:
    The Corvette is the only sports cars to carry the same name through 6 different decades . Porsche is close behind at 5 decades with the 911 nameplate . They are "alone together" , in a good " survivor " way, through the ups and downs of the fickle sports car market by knowing their customers .

+1
    Porsche and Corvette share much more than they differ by... and their advocates are equally convinced of the superiority of their favorite. In fact, you might even claim that the aggressive growth of Porsche is making them the GM of Europe

Quote:
    Jofu said:
    You say they've been "trying" to maintain mass appeal... They've been selling 30,000+ unit a year every year since the C5 intro in 1997. Wouldn't you say they pretty much succeeded? At any rate, it certainly has not bombed

Geoff

What I meant was they are very concerned about what their customers expect a Corvette to look like.

When they changed the headlights to no longer fold away they were concerned that the car wouldn't sell because the public expected the car to have the "trademark" fold away lights. It was apparently a big cost-driven gamble for GM.

In contrast Lamborghini designers apparently never try to appeal to mass market sensibility, that's why their cars are so exotic and exciting.

I already explained I like what GM has done under the Corvette body and behind the disappointing interior of the car.

I'm just disappointed that the styling is sooooo boring, so _safe_ and so GM-ish. In my _humble_ opinion of course.

Keep in mind for the longest time Porsche advertised and sold the 911's consistent looks as completely indifferent to trends in styling by other mfgrs ostensibly to gain mass market approval.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    In contrast Lamborghini designers apparently never try to appeal to mass market sensibility, that's why their cars are so exotic and exciting.

OTOH, they have not aged very gracefully for that very reason, compared to their contemporary Ferrari model equivalent in the " mass production " era starting in the early 70s.

If I were to take the plunge on a ZR-1, I would get one black and find a CF replacement for the clear cover over the supercharger on the front hood.

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

OTOH, they have not aged very gracefully for that very reason, compared to their contemporary Ferrari model equivalent in the " mass production " era starting in the early 70s.

this one aged well,

Quote:
    racerx said:

this one aged well,

Yes, the original Countach ( first shown by Ghandini as a concept in 1972 - before probably half the people on this board were born )looked pretty much like this black car except with slimmer wheel arches ! It still looks more " far in the future " than any car since incl the Enzo . However...the later porky versions with their slats and grotesque wheel arches were the poster boys for all the vulgar aftermarket stuff still seen today .

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    If I were to take the plunge on a ZR-1, I would get one black and find a CF replacement for the clear cover over the supercharger on the front hood.

You read my mind

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762525 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435405 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260531 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257589 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80956 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872323 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807691 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM