Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Arctic Silver vs GT Silver - pics anyone?!

Hi, will be speccing my 997.2 S tomorrow. I was thinking on the lines of silver. Is GT Silver worth the price, or will I not be able to make out which silver it is when the car is viewed in isolation?

Do any of you guys have pics of cars in arctic silver and in GT silver for me to see the difference on the cars?

Also, what is your view on Arctic Silver vs GT Silver?

Re: Arctic Silver vs GT Silver - pics anyone?!

GT Silver

Arctic Silver

Silver is silver. Hard to really tell the difference unless there are two or more cars next to eachother.

Especially in photographs, different lighting conditions could make more of the Porsche silvers look very similar.

Here is a picture with them together. GT Silver on left and Arctic Silver on right.

Personally, I like Arctic Silver better since it really "shines" like a jewelry especially on a sunny day. GT Silver to me seems dull by comparison. I originally was going to get GT Silver but ended up getting Cobalt Blue. If I had to make the choice again and I could only choose between either silver then I'd go with Arctic. But of course it's all personal preference.

Is that a Turbo S? (which I believe is the only 996 that GT silver was offered on).

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    Is that a Turbo S? (which I believe is the only 996 GT silver was offered on).

Yes, that's a 996 Turbo S. Sadly it was a tiptronic which is probably why it took a very long time to sell.

Ouch!

Thanks guys for the pics and advice. I totally agree after seeing the pics that the 2 silvers are quite alike, and look different based on the ambient light. Yes, the GT Silver does look more dull, just as I was suspecting. So between the 2 it might be better for me to save the money and go for Arctic Silver!

Actually, using pictures on the internet to decide between arctic silver and GT silver is a complete excercise in futility. The pictures do show that GT silver is a slight shade darker. To say that GT silver is a duller color is incorrect. Arctic silver is brighter, unquestionably. But white is also brighter so the choice really is not a brightness question.

If you examine arctic vs GT close up, you will see a greater depth of color and complexity of color with GT silver. GT silver has larger and more prominent metal flakes. From a distance of 15 feet you will have an impossible time differentiating the two colors other than the subtle shade difference.

If you are serious about evaluating GT silver, you must see it in person, there is no substitute.

From a cost standpoint, there is no argument that Arctic is a much better value.

I personally like the depth and richness of GT silver when looking at it close up. Whether it is worth the additional cost is a question only you can answer. This is a difficult choice.

Quote:
    Arshad said:
    Thanks guys for the pics and advice. I totally agree after seeing the pics that the 2 silvers are quite alike, and look different based on the ambient light. Yes, the GT Silver does look more dull, just as I was suspecting. So between the 2 it might be better for me to save the money and go for Arctic Silver!

In Dubai with the bright sunshine the arctic would look too "whitey". The GT silver is a more unique type of richer silver with a light grey, aluminium-like shade. For a sunny place definitely the choice.

Maybe it wouldn't make much difference if you lived in a country that was regularly overcast.

Also a small price difference relative to the overall cost of the car and other options.

GT silver impressed me when you get really close to it. It has much bigger flakes of metallic silver in it compared to the finer ones in the other silvers.

I got a pic somewhere but can't find it.

This is GT SIlver.

The Silver you want

This kinda barely shows the bigger metal flakes in the GT silver. Compare to arctic insert.

On some of this pictures the GT Silver looks warmer, i.e. with a brown tint, compared to Arctic Silver. Is that correct?

The only pic comparison that makes sense here is the one posted by atomic80, and even that is problematic as the illumination of both cars is different, but the photo provides a pretty good idea. All others have different color balances and the comparison makes no sense.

Quote:
    fantasma said:
    On some of this pictures the GT Silver looks warmer, i.e. with a brown tint, compared to Arctic Silver. Is that correct?

No! GT has a grey tint. Arctic has more white.

Somebody must see both to determine the differences.

One thing for sure, in strong sunlight the GT looks much warmer colour, the arctic is too whitey.

You wanted to see some pictures of Arctic Silver and GT Silver?

Well, there are dozens on this thread I posted some time back when I was making the same choice:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=201938&page=&fpart=2&vc=1

In the end, I chose GT Silver and I am very, very happy that I did

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

Well, there are dozens on this thread I posted some time back when I was making the same choice:

In the end, I chose GT Silver and I am very, very happy that I did

Pictures don't show the subtle differences IMO.

A visit to an OPC would solve this dilemma.

Once again, thanks a lot, guys! I went today to my OPC and finally after lots of deliberation, chose the Arctic Silver! I eventually made the choice more because of the price, and by putting in a bit more, added a PSE, which would make more of a difference to me eventually!! I actually liked the more prominent flakes in Arctic Silver! Chose black interior, with silver-gray seat belts. Now I have to wait until April for delivery!!!

Congrats Arshad, did you decide on PDK?

Quote:
    saltydawg said:
    If you examine arctic vs GT close up, you will see a greater depth of color and complexity of color with GT silver. GT silver has larger and more prominent metal flakes.

I agree, GT silver is a darker hue itself but shows a higher grade of reflection under sunlight. It has a very technical character and, for me personally, it suits a GT3 very well. If it worth the premium should be of individual choice.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

Yup! Good link. Thanks ER.

GT silver is consistently represented as warmer and "darker" than Arctic. Here's another pic:

BTW, need exacting color correction?

You can use the wheels as a standard reference point for establishing color balance in different photos.

They are the same exact shade of silver (wheel paint is made by same mfgr!) no matter which year or style of _silver_ wheel.

Thanks, Liquid! As of now I have specced the car with PDK, but reserve the right to change my choice after the test drive, scheduled for Monday 27th at 11am!! For my sake I really hope I like PDK, considering the traffic here in Dubai!

Quote:
    Arshad said:
    Thanks, Liquid! As of now I have specced the car with PDK, but reserve the right to change my choice after the test drive, scheduled for Monday 27th at 11am!! For my sake I really hope I like PDK, considering the traffic here in Dubai!

If you are not sure after your drive, ask for a repeat until you appreciate this piece of engineering.

It is a pity to pass it by and miss out on this technical tour de force.

Don't go biased against it, ask for a car with Sport Chrono Plus, so you experience all modes and try not to be influenced by various negative comments on the internet.

PDK is faster than manual for sure.

Involvement or lack of it? If involvement is to change gears manually I could do without! You can focus on other areas of your driving like braking, cornering lines, car control if you are freed from using clutch and stick.

My opinion anyway.

Quote:
    Arshad said:

I am driving the car this coming Sunday, as I need to decide whether I could live with PDK. To be honest, cant imagine buying a 911 without 6 on the floor, but will nevertheless approach the test with some modicum of objectivity.

Quote:
    Liquid said:
    To be honest, cant imagine buying a 911 without 6 on the floor, but will nevertheless approach the test with some modicum of objectivity.

Formula 1 drivers have no problem with it. They have more mental energy to pay attention to what the car is doing and what they want to do.

Wouldn't the same hold true with a PDK-equipped 911? I think so.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Liquid said:
    To be honest, cant imagine buying a 911 without 6 on the floor, but will nevertheless approach the test with some modicum of objectivity.

Formula 1 drivers have no problem with it. They have more mental energy to pay attention to what the car is doing and what they want to do.

I cannot think of any racing series with foot operated clutch!

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Liquid said:

I believe that PDK-like transmissions and F1 ones are quite not the same thing tho

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Liquid said:

Ferrari pioneered the semi-auto box in F1 in the early 90's because fractions of a second could be shaved off lap times, had nothing to do with driver involvement or enjoyment. Unless you plan on racing your predominantly road biased 911 on a track and pushing the performance envelope, think that any comparisons with an F1 car are odious.

I would rather have fun when I am on a track and record the slowest time of the day. And fun for me includes a perfect heel and toe down change.

I don't want to get involved in a PDK vs Manual slugging match, like debating Republican vs Democrats, there is no correct answer. I suppose that's why Porsche offers both versions.

Quote:
    Liquid said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Liquid said:

Ferrari pioneered the semi-auto box in F1 in the early 90's because fractions of a second could be shaved off lap times, had nothing to do with driver involvement or enjoyment. Unless you plan on racing your predominantly road biased 911 on a track and pushing the performance envelope, think that any comparisons with an F1 car are odious.

I would rather have fun when I am on a track and record the slowest time of the day. And fun for me includes a perfect heel and toe down change.

I don't want to get involved in a PDK vs Manual slugging match, like debating Republican vs Democrats, there is no correct answer. I suppose that's why Porsche offers both versions.

I must quote you for truth, sir.

Indeed I was amazed when I heard some Ferrari spokesman ditching the manual gearbox in general while telling something like "autmatic transmission is the future".
    Probably just Ferrari propaganda but you know....

I felt like I was left in a corner in discomfort! Hope manual gearboxes will be always choice-able

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690483 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409755 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256003 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235275 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65649 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858414 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774688 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM