Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: My Mini's biography, new chapters to be added

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    Nice job Mike! What are you hoping for in terms of HP? 200 at the wheels would be insane in that car. I drove a works 'S' once and it was a blast so yours must be even better. Thanks for posting; lots of fun to follow along.

Anywhere from 240-270HP to the wheels, should be fun

All that to the front wheel? Hmm should be fun indeed! But will also be a handful! I now have 328hp at the wheel on my 135i (from 240hp atw when I started the project), and with my Drexler LSD and shorter final ratio, it creates some long slides when I am up for it. Maybe I should start my own thread on my 135i too.

Please do! Will be interesting!

I will be changing the suspension setup as well to cope with the power.

Quote:
    WAY said:

Maybe I should start my own thread on my 135i too.

WAY you should really do that !!

Mike and Enmanuel, I will do that at some stage. Takes too long to post a thread like that. Lol.

holly [beep] !!!!

Those engine mods are amazing...anything next to 250bhp would be a serious sportscar + if you manage to reduce its weight....ok I am lost in words, can't express how it would feel

Now the idea of owning another Cooper S is growing and growing again !!!!!!!...

Oh and Mike that front air scoop looks amazing, never saw that.....

When you finish all the process, dont forget to put the "eye stickers" I had on mine!!!...each time I opened the engine bay, it was like if the car had a face

pic of my ex Cooper S (in case you didnt saw it, from previous threads)

Quote:
    Alex18_996CC said:
    holly [beep] !!!!

Those engine mods are amazing...anything next to 250bhp would be a serious sportscar + if you manage to reduce its weight....ok I am lost in words, can't express how it would feel

Now the idea of owning another Cooper S is growing and growing again !!!!!!!...

Oh and Mike that front air scoop looks amazing, never saw that.....

When you finish all the process, dont forget to put the "eye stickers" I had on mine!!!...each time I opened the engine bay, it was like if the car had a face

pic of my ex Cooper S (in case you didnt saw it, from previous threads)

Thanks Alex - you know you want to Get yourself into another Cooper

My car has been in the shop since yesterday and should be finished by tomorrow. Then I can put on the other smaller items myself. Next Monday it will go in for fine tuning.

Mike,

with all this work you may be forced to add the go faster stripes on the hood...

Any thoughts on taking some weight out of the car?

TEE

Quote:
    TEE1 said:
    Mike,

with all this work you may be forced to add the go faster stripes on the hood...

TEE

I like my car looking "stealth" - I hate drawing attention in general. Plus most won't know what him them

I will be keeping the interior as is for now - who knows, I can always change my mind in future. Then I will get entire CF body panels etc.

Stopped by the shop today - here is what my car looks like

Tomorrow it will be more empty as the gearbox will be coming off for the Quaife installation.

I'm going again tomorrow and will bring my camera - cell phone pics are bad quality.

Old head

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    TEE1 said:
    Mike,

TEE

I like my car looking "stealth" - I hate drawing attention in general. Plus most won't know what him them

...that approach goes out the door once you turn on the spots

lol

Love it. Keep the pics a rolling.

I really enjoyed reading this thread, your enthousiasm really shows. I can imagine this must be a great experience being a carnut...

Keep the pics and stories coming, I can 't wait!

Some higher res images as promised.

New SS brake lines in.
    Front

Rear

Tapet cover painted red just to give the engine bay some contrast.

Butchered...

Up close of engine bay

Another

On the lift.

Tranny came back with quaife LSD installed. Had to bore out the MSD ignition coil so the standard bolts could fit in.

Humpty dumpty will be put back together tomorrow. I can't wait! I just have the intercooler, diffuser and couplers to install myself once I get it back. Then it's off to the tuners on Monday.

You could get some tips from these guys Mike.

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=224101

Quote:
    ResB said:
    You could get some tips from these guys Mike.

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=224101

ResB! I almost died laughing - LOL!!! I wish I could be in the same league...

Funniest "serious" build thread EVER EVER!

Glad you enjoyed it. It had a similar effect on me too.

I just got my car back, they worked until 9:30 PM to finish the car for me. The sound is intoxicating! I never thought my MINI could sound so rough and deep in tone. Sounds like a BMW 330 with some rasp

It's late now, I need to get the engine cleaned up and I will take some pics and vids for you.

I'm getting my car back today! I can't wait!

Then I have to send it in to get the new front and rear rotors to be installed. Last thing I will be waiting on are the new springs and control arms, that is only going to ship the 1st week of Nov due to stock

YOu'll enjoy the Quaiffe. I had it put in mine a couple of years ago, and found it alot of fun out of the tight bends,

Wow Mike! Reading your thread really brought back memories of when I had my MINI S. Mine was electric blue but I really like Indi Blue. I didn't quite go as far as you did but I did get mine up to 210 hp with the modifications that I made. I did modify the suspension to cope with it but I used lowering springs which was a bad idea because it ride a bit too harshly and sometimes would bottom out at times with people in the back. Are you planning to go with coilovers? If not then you should! I also added chrome trim bits everywhere to the interior which made for a really nice look. I get the feeling that it wouldn't work for your car but it certainly worked well for mine.

I look forward to hearing more about the mods you've got planned! I'm currently modifying my Audi A3.

Nicholas H: Thanks, I can already feel the difference, the steering is slightly heavier and VERY sensitive now. Very nice

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Wow Mike! Reading your thread really brought back memories of when I had my MINI S. Mine was electric blue but I really like Indi Blue. I didn't quite go as far as you did but I did get mine up to 210 hp with the modifications that I made. I did modify the suspension to cope with it but I used lowering springs which was a bad idea because it ride a bit too harshly and sometimes would bottom out at times with people in the back. Are you planning to go with coilovers? If not then you should! I also added chrome trim bits everywhere to the interior which made for a really nice look. I get the feeling that it wouldn't work for your car but it certainly worked well for mine.

I look forward to hearing more about the mods you've got planned! I'm currently modifying my Audi A3.

Hi atomic,
    Thanks, you shouldn't have let yours go I'm first going with springs, but I asked and apparently the ride will be much better although lower plus it will not bottom out. If it is that bad I will just get coil overs eventually. You should post some pics of the process on your A3, I love build threads!

I spoke with the tuner today and he is going to install a switch for me. One for running normal 95 unleaded and the other setting is to run with race fuel/octane booster. Those are for the "special" days

Taking longer than expected - will only get the car back tomorrow afternoon, but the tuner said is the strongest "modded" Mini he has dyno'd thus far!

Another update: My header tank cracked! So I'm getting a new one made from aluminium. As soon as that's done I'm off to the dyno's again. The car is not running the way I wanted. Still some minor things to work out.

What is the latest Mike? Is she running yet the way you want it?
    --
    Off enjoying my car...

TEE1:
    What is the latest Mike? Is she running yet the way you want it?
    --
    Off enjoying my car...

Hi TEE,

Nothing yet, I've been waiting 2 damn weeks for a new tank - can you believe it! The guy promises me the part everyday and everday he dissapoints. Apparently the tank WILL BE ready tomorrow. Then I will have my car running again, for now it is just sitting at the shop.

Mike

tell the garage there is not just you waiting for the car but a whole forum looking for updates, damn it Smiley

seriously what makes me laugh though is that here you are with a garage of some of the best motoring silverware, yet you are like a little boy frauning in the corner as your Mini is waiting for a tank and things are not moving fast enought Smiley you are a true petrolhead and I feel for you Smiley

TEE

--
    Off enjoying my car...

TEE1:

Mike

tell the garage there is not just you waiting for the car but a whole forum looking for updates, damn it Smiley

seriously what makes me laugh though is that here you are with a garage of some of the best motoring silverware, yet you are like a little boy frauning in the corner as your Mini is waiting for a tank and things are not moving fast enought Smiley you are a true petrolhead and I feel for you Smiley

TEE

--
    Off enjoying my car...

I got her back yesterday!

The new aluminium coolant tank is in and my car is running again! Another hiccup though, I think I put in the wrong belt size as it is already started to boost lower as I think the belt has stretched a little bit. I will get that replaced during the week with the correct belt.

Car will go in tomorrow to have it's new front and rear rotors/disks replaced with performance slotted versions. My springs and control arms should clear customs this coming week and I can get that fitted this week as well. Until then I'm not going to take the car to the dyno until the belt is replaced.

Here are some pics of the car's engine bay now.

Just dropped in for more updates... :)
    --

Check out my Gallery

Hi Res,

Woops, I kind of forgot to keep updating.

The new front and rear disks are in! I will take pics of that. The belt has also been changed and now it's super tight. I also added a tensioner stop while I was at it just in case.

The latest problem is my front suspension. The mechanics suspect there is something wrong with the front right spring. So the company I have bought them from shipped 2 new front springs free of charge! They should arrive on Friday and I can have that resolved.

While I was busy on the net, I ordered 2 new items. A new larger and smoother inlet hose and a bypass valve for the supercharger.

Had the car on the dyno. It's running 212hp and 246nm at the wheels. Slightly less than what I had hoped for, but then again I am 4600ft above sea level so it sounds about right. At the sea I should be at the 240's also keep in mind I have a Quaife installed, this will also lessen the wheel hp ever slightly. I have a switch inside to run on race fuel, so I'll go back and dyno again once my 2 new items arrive. Then will take some proper photo's of the car.

Mike,

perhaps now that the car has hardly any original performance parts left on it, you should add a plaque below the Mini plaque which reads

"by Mike S" Smiley

P.S. and please add pictures when you give us updates Smiley

--
    Off enjoying my car...

..or Mini Mike S

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780506 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442472 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263274 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261589 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85740 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5891 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881320 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818554 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM