Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche UK New Extended Warranty T's & C's

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Quote:
    John H said:
    Incidentally...the costs are... 111 point checkover - Pounds172.00...Two years extended warranty (including Porsche Assistance) - Pounds1892.13...VAT - Pounds30.19...Total - Pounds2095.00.

@John H: you did well there - your OPC is charging you Pounds400 less than the normal price. PCGB and various London dealerships have confirmed to me that the uniform price across the UK is supposed to be Pounds2495 inc VAT for a 2 year extended warranty (inc the 111 point check and Porsche Assistance). Which OPC did you go to? I have an appointment later today at my local OPC for the same thing.

Easy - my OPC (Wilmslow) didn't charge VAT on the warranty.

It's listed as category 'E' and shown on my invoice as exempt.

The VAT I paid (Pounds30.19) is on the price of the checkover which is category 'S' i.e. standard rate at 17.5%.

Hope this helps...

Ahhh! Okay - now that makes sense - thanks for clarifying

Since the chage-over from Rennteam 1.0, there seems to be a few posts missing at the end of this thread. I don't know why?

In one of them I posted a scanned copy of the invoice I paid my OPC for the new extended warranty. The price I was charged was £400 less than other members here had been quoted or already charged.

The reason I posted this was to give a comparison that members could use to negotiate with other OPC's or, indeed, they could have used my OPC and saved money.......OR SO I THOUGHT!!!

This morning my OPC phoned to say they'd found a mistake on the invoice they issued to me and that I'd been under-charged by £400!....Please could they take the extra payment.....

I asked how this came about and they said I'd been charged for a 2 year 'renewal' rather than a first warranty.  When I pointed out it WAS a renewal, they changed tact and said I'd been charged for a Boxster instead of my 997S, despite the invoice clearly stating my vehicle details.

I think it's possible that I was naive in making public the price I was charged and the identity of my OPC, as other OPC's could well have complained to them.Smiley

Either way...it's now a dilemma.  Do I pay the extra £400 or not?

What would you guys do....Smiley

--
    "Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

John H:

Since the chage-over from Rennteam 1.0, there seems to be a few posts missing at the end of this thread. I don't know why?

In one of them I posted a scanned copy of the invoice I paid my OPC for the new extended warranty. The price I was charged was £400 less than other members here had been quoted or already charged.

The reason I posted this was to give a comparison that members could use to negotiate with other OPC's or, indeed, they could have used my OPC and saved money.......OR SO I THOUGHT!!!

This morning my OPC phoned to say they'd found a mistake on the invoice they issued to me and that I'd been under-charged by £400!....Please could they take the extra payment.....

I asked how this came about and they said I'd been charged for a 2 year 'renewal' rather than a first warranty.  When I pointed out it WAS a renewal, they changed tact and said I'd been charged for a Boxster instead of my 997S, despite the invoice clearly stating my vehicle details.

I think it's possible that I was naive in making public the price I was charged and the identity of my OPC, as other OPC's could well have complained to them.Smiley

Either way...it's now a dilemma.  Do I pay the extra £400 or not?

What would you guys do....Smiley

--

I would tell them, firmly, but politely that I wouldn't pay the extra £400, especially if they've been dishonest and given you some bs about how they undercharged.

Its obvious that they had a miss understanding at their end and charged accordingly. 

Typically, if you make a mistake, you suffer the consequences.

Would they be phoning you to offer you a discount if it had been the other way?

Up to you if you want to make a goodwill gesture which you might be able to "cash in" with your dealership at a later date.  Do you intend to carry on using them for the foreseeable future?

Hi John - hope you're okay.

First, your posts haven't been deleted. You actually posted them on my thread commemorating the second birthday of my car! It's all there...

Second, about the £400, if they undercharged you, it's their mistake. They can't force you to pay the extra £400 (and they know it) but can they somehow cancel the warranty or refuse to honour it? I don't think so - since they aren't providing it - it's an extended warranty from PAG/PCGB not from the dealership itself. I don't believe the cock and bull story they told you... it was a genuine mistake but they know they wouldn't be able to recoup the extra if it was only a genuine mistake. They had to come up with some reason why you were charged the 'right price for something else' rather than the 'wrong price for the right thing'.

I always thought the price they quoted you was strange. The price difference wasn't because of different labour charges (for the 111 point inspection) or VAT. It was the actual price of the warranty itself from PAG/PCGB. Since the warranty is issued by the same body, I expected it to cost the same no matter which OPC it is bought from. My suspicion is that your OPC charged you what it cost them to buy it from PAG/PCGB. Whereas my OPC IMO included this 'dealership profit' figure in the total they charged me.

Third, I don't think they found out about it from Rennteam. I think it's much more likely that they came across it when doing their end of month accounts. I presume you bought it in October so the mistake only came to light at month end. That seems the most likely reason. BUT, one can never tell. I think with hindsight, it would have been safer to disclose the OPC name to people like dreamcar and myself via PM rather than via a searchable post. We would never disclose anything you told us - it's not in anyone's interest.

Overall, it seems like your OPC is just trying to recoup its profit from you after the fact. It's your call whether you value dealing with them in future enough to bail them out of their mistake. If it was me, I wouldn't.

--
    997S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection: I love this car!!!

Ronnie - many thanks for your solid advice.  Smiley

I don't know whether or not I'll be using this OPC long-term. I'm using them at present as it's where I bought my current car.  However a new OPC has subsequently opened which is much closer to my home - so there is an option.

Thanks again for your reply.    Smiley

--

easy_rider911:

Hi John - hope you're okay.

First, your posts haven't been deleted. You actually posted them on my thread commemorating the second birthday of my car! It's all there...

Second, about the £400, if they undercharged you, it's their mistake. They can't force you to pay the extra £400 (and they know it) but can they somehow cancel the warranty or refuse to honour it? I don't think so - since they aren't providing it - it's an extended warranty from PAG/PCGB not from the dealership itself. I don't believe the cock and bull story they told you... it was a genuine mistake but they know they wouldn't be able to recoup the extra if it was only a genuine mistake. They had to come up with some reason why you were charged the 'right price for something else' rather than the 'wrong price for the right thing'.

I always thought the price they quoted you was strange. The price difference wasn't because of different labour charges (for the 111 point inspection) or VAT. It was the actual price of the warranty itself from PAG/PCGB. Since the warranty is issued by the same body, I expected it to cost the same no matter which OPC it is bought from. My suspicion is that your OPC charged you what it cost them to buy it from PAG/PCGB. Whereas my OPC IMO included this 'dealership profit' figure in the total they charged me.

Third, I don't think they found out about it from Rennteam. I think it's much more likely that they came across it when doing their end of month accounts. I presume you bought it in October so the mistake only came to light at month end. That seems the most likely reason. BUT, one can never tell. I think with hindsight, it would have been safer to disclose the OPC name to people like dreamcar and myself via PM rather than via a searchable post. We would never disclose anything you told us - it's not in anyone's interest.

Overall, it seems like your OPC is just trying to recoup its profit from you after the fact. It's your call whether you value dealing with them in future enough to bail them out of their mistake. If it was me, I wouldn't.

--
    997S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection: I love this car!!!

Hi Easy... I'm fine thanks - just a bit frustrated at trying to figure things on this new site.  Hope you're okay too.

I'm sure your observations are correct and it annoys me that they tried to cover-up the facts.

I've sent them an email asking how to contact the big cheese there (General Manager or Director) as I don't want to enter an altercation with my usual service adviser who's a great bloke.  I've got quite a few gripes with my car's history so might as well air them all with him while I'm holding a decent hand. Smiley

May wind up taking my business to a nearer OPC in future.

BTW - I didn't PM the invoice to you as I couldn't add attachments.

Thanks for your great advice,as always.   Smiley

--

I sent an email to the 'Dealer Principal' together with a summary of my car's history...i.e. what I've spent with them!

He phoned me a few days later to say he really wanted to keep my business and, under the circumstances and as a goodwill measure, he was prepared to waive the extra £400.

So that's a result that I'm very pleased about. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688773 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408802 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255574 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234824 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65420 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857664 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773545 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM