Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Japanese F1 Grand Prix at Fuji

Another GP race this weekend - cool

Meanwhile, Kubica and Heidfeld are staying at BMW Sauber F1 in 2009 so no possibility of Alonso going there next year:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7654412.stm

Looks like Fernando will be staying at Renault?

Re: Japanese F1 Grand Prix at Fuji

Il capo dei capi hits back at Luca di Montezemolo:

http://planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_4247691,00.html

BBC Sport: "Glock overshadows F1 title rivals"

Japanese Grand Prix, Fuji Speedway, 10-12 October 2008

Toyota's Timo Glock was fastest in Friday practice at the Japanese Grand Prix as Lewis Hamilton edged title rival Felipe Massa. Glock set a best time of one minute 18.363 seconds to beat Renault's Fernando Alonso by just 0.043secs.

McLaren's Hamilton was third at Fuji, 0.040secs behind the Spaniard and 0.028secs ahead of Massa's Ferrari. The Brazilian's team-mate Kimi Raikkonen and Red Bull's Mark Webber completed the top six.

Hamilton had been fastest of all in the first practice session, setting a time of 1:18.910secs to head Massa by 0.153secs, with the Englishman's team-mate Heikki Kovalainen and Raikkonen third and fourth. Alonso, winner last time out in Singapore and yet to decide whether to stay at Renault next season, was fifth in the first session. The top 17 drivers were all covered by less than a second, raising hopes for a close, competitive race.

Hamilton said: "The car is as I expected it to be - very consistent at this circuit and I'm very happy with it. We're in a good position. On dry pace, we're going to be very close to Ferrari, and I think in the wet we'll be very competitive."

Practice was held in warm sunshine, with the Mount Fuji volcano visible beyond the track, in stark contrast to the torrential rain that afflicted most of the race weekend last year. But it started raining soon after the end of practice and Hamilton said he expected rain to play a role in the weekend at some point. Rain is forecast for Saturday's qualifying session, although race day is predicted to be dry on Sunday.

Massa added: "I think it will be very close, but I think we are going in the right direction. The lap times were very competitive. My car felt good on the first lap and also on the long runs. I'm pretty with happy with the day and how the car behaved. We have a good balance on the car and on speed we are looking quite good as well. I think we will be competitive."

There were a number of spins and off-track moments - including from Hamilton - as the cars laid down rubber on the track and it began to pick up grip.

Glock is not expected to be a contender for victory. Fuji is Toyota's home track, and it is probable the team were running him with less fuel than his rivals so they could put on an eye-catching performance.

"I had a nice lap near the beginning of the session and it's great for the team to end up quickest on Friday here in Japan," the German said. "So far I'm happy and it would be nice to keep the position like this for the whole weekend. That will obviously be difficult but hopefully the local fans will give us an extra boost."

Results from first practice at the Japanese Grand Prix:

1. Lewis Hamilton (GB) McLaren-Mercedes one minute 18.910 seconds
    2. Felipe Massa (Brz) Ferrari 1:19.063
    3. Heikki Kovalainen (Fin) McLaren-Mercedes 1:19.279
    4. Kimi Raikkonen (Fin) Ferrari 1:19.399
    5. Fernando Alonso (Spa) Renault 1:19.473
    6. Nelson Piquet Jr (Brz) Renault 1:19.743
    7. Sebastian Vettel (Ger) Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:20.121
    8. Robert Kubica (Pol) BMW Sauber 1:20.160
    9. Sebastien Bourdais (Fra) Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:20.182
    10. Kazuki Nakajima (Jpn) Williams-Toyota 1:20.217
    11. Adrian Sutil (Ger) Force India-Ferrari 1:20.288
    12. Nico Rosberg (Ger) Williams-Toyota 1:20.350
    13. Mark Webber (Aus) Red Bull-Renault 1:20.620
    14. Nick Heidfeld (Ger) BMW Sauber 1:20.628
    15. Jarno Trulli (Ita) Toyota 1:20.657
    16. Rubens Barrichello (Brz) Honda 1:20.753
    17. Jenson Button (GB) Honda 1:20.769
    18. Timo Glock (Ger) Toyota 1:20.823
    19. David Coulthard (GB) Red Bull-Renault 1:20.905
    20. Giancarlo Fisichella (Ita) Force India-Ferrari 1:21.014

Results from second practice:

1. Glock 1:18.383
    2. Alonso 1:18.426
    3. Hamilton 1:18.463
    4. Massa 1:18.491
    5. Raikkonen 1:18.725
    6. Webber 1:18.734
    7. Nakajima 1:18.734
    8. Vettel 1:18.761
    9. Kovalainen 1:18.803
    10. Trulli 1:18.863
    11. Kubica 1:18.865
    12. Piquet Jr 1:18.888
    13. Rosberg 1:18.981
    14. Bourdais 1:19.040
    15. Barrichello 1:19.258
    16. Sutil 1:19.287
    17. Coulthard 1:19.327
    18. Fisichella 1:19.482
    19. Heidfeld 1:19.894
    20. Button 1:19.999

Japanese-F1-GP-Practice_Link

Thanks for posting the data

BBC Sport: "Hamilton snatches pole in Japan"

Japanese Grand Prix, Fuji

Lewis Hamilton boosted his chances of extending his world championship lead at Sunday's Japanese Grand Prix by taking pole position in Fuji. The McLaren driver produced a late flying lap of one minute 18.404 seconds to claim his sixth pole of the season.

But Ferrari rival Felipe Massa, who trails Hamilton by seven points in the title race, endured a disastrous qualifying finishing back in fifth. Kimi Raikkonen was second for Ferrari ahead of McLaren's Heikki Kovalainen.

Also starting ahead of Massa on the grid is Fernando Alonso, a surprise winner for Renault last time out in Singapore, as he continued his run of good form to qualify in fourth.

BMW Sauber's Robert Kubica posted the sixth fastest time ahead of Toyota duo Jarno Trulli and Timo Glock. The Toro Rossos of Sebastian Vettel and Sebastien Bourdais rounded out the top 10.

"I'm very happy," said Hamilton, who is three races away from a maiden world title. "The team have done a phenomenal job. It was pretty straightforward. The last lap I put all the sectors together and I was able to bring it home. We will push forward with the strategy on Sunday. It's going to be a tough race because Kimi is right there but we will take as many points as we can."

McLaren team boss Ron Dennis described Hamilton's 12th career pole as the "best of his life" adding it came at a "critical time".

With both the drivers' and constructors' titles at stake, the Woking-based team are determined to adopt a cautious approach to the title run-in especially after the calamitous close to the 2007 season. After claiming victory at last year's Japanese Grand Prix, Hamilton held a 12-point lead in the title race only to surrender the title to Raikkonen, who at that stage was 17 points adrift.

When asked if he would allow Hamilton to race for victory in Fuji, Dennis said: "We don't want to pass over any victories that might come our way, but who knows?"

Results from qualifying for the Japanese Grand Prix:

1. Lewis Hamilton (GB) McLaren-Mercedes 1:18.404
    2. Kimi Raikkonen (Fin) Ferrari 1:18.644
    3. Heikki Kovalainen (Fin) McLaren 1:18.821
    4. Fernando Alonso (Spn) Renault 1:18.852
    5. Felipe Massa (Brz) Ferrari 1:18.874
    6. Robert Kubica (Pol) BMW Sauber 1:18.979
    7. Jarno Trulli (Ita) Toyota 1:19.026
    8. Timo Glock (Ger) Toyota 1:19.118
    9. Sebastian Vettel (Ger) Toro Rosso 1:19.638
    10. Sebastien Bourdais (Fra) Toro Rosso 1:20.167
    11. David Coulthard (GB) Red Bull-Renault 1:18.187
    12. Nelson Piquet (Brz) Renault 1:18.274
    13. Mark Webber (Aus) Red Bull-Renault 1:18.354
    14. Kazuki Nakajima (Jpn) Williams-Toyota 1:18.594
    15. Nico Rosberg (Ger) Williams-Toyota 1:18.672
    16. Nick Heidfeld (Ger) BMW Sauber 1:18.835
    17. Rubens Barrichello (Brz) Honda 1:18.882
    18. Jenson Button (GB) Honda 1:19.100
    19. Adrian Sutil (Ger) Force India 1:19.163
    20. Giancarlo Fisichella (Ita) Force India 1:19.910

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/solpda/ukfs_sport/hi/newsid_7664000/7664875.stm

I fear Massa may have blown his title chances. He is never very good when having to come through the pack. Let's see what happens.

God, I really hate all that PC "we"-talk crap!
    Sounds like a fcking robot speaking, especially when we all know he is as mega egomaniac.

It could be a very interesting race Ham has Kimi right there on the start , and Massa has Alonso in front and Kubica beind . Could be a great race..
    Hope they don't all crash at the first corner

Let's hope it rains again..

Let's see if Kimi takes one for the team. A well-placed late braking or "unfortunate" pass will break the championship wide open

oh boy!!!, just wanted to say that today's race was amazing.....

P1 for Alonso, opening an important gap vs kubica, and N.Piquet P4, he did an excellent job!!!!

Massa needs big holidays, at least that's what I thought when he touched with Hamilton....but gotta say his driving level at 3/4 of the race was better than everyone, doing laps one second faster than kimi, kubica, alonso.....

Now, before I GO TO BED (AGAIN ), I HOPE THE MAJORITY OF "ALONSO HATERS" WONT WRITE HE WAS LUCKY TODAY, AND BLA BLA BLA....

too bad reanult improved the car this late, but better than never !!

N.Piquet

hasta mañana amigos !!!

Didnt like that race at all. To many things happend around the Championship Leaders. Not sure if Massa's fine was right!

Congratulations to Alonso, he's doing a great second half of the season. I hope Kubica wins the WDC instead of one of those annoying halfw**s.

Too many mistakes under pressure from the title contenders.

If these drivers are at the pinnacle of motorsport, then it is a very sad situation.

I hope "genious" Ron Dennis realises his mistake to under-utilise Alonso and drive him out of the team.
    IMO with the right management McLaren would have wrapped up their back-to-back(2007 and 2008) titles by now.

How can Mercedes tolerate this farce I cannot understand!!

It's sooo ridiculos

And again the FIA prooves for whom they're cheering for!?!

With no doubt the first turn of LH was not his "best", but he didn't touch, hit or turn any other contestant, he lost his lead due to his own mistake.

But the redmidget (FM) hit LH on purpose after missing the braking point, turns him around and ruins his race!!

And the FIA again takes wrong decisions to penalise both drivers with the same drive through penalty?!
    What is wrong in this association?

BTW: Bourdais just lost his sixth place because he was pledged guilty for the crash with FM after exiting the pits...

I really can't understand what's going on here, this has nothing to do with F1-racing anymore, especially when after every reace the Ferraris somehow earn some extra points?!

Re: It's sooo ridiculos

Quote:
    Lord_Driftalot said:

With no doubt the first turn of LH was not his "best", but he didn't touch, hit or turn any other contestant, he lost his lead due to his own mistake.

But the redmidget (FM) hit LH on purpose after missing the braking point, turns him around and ruins his race!!

And the FIA again takes wrong decisions to penalise both drivers with the same drive through penalty?!

BTW: Bourdais just lost his sixth place because he was pledged guilty for the crash with FM after exiting the pits...

I really can't understand what's going on here, this has nothing to do with F1-racing anymore, especially when after every reace the Ferraris somehow earn some extra points?!

FM was penalized as well....
    and what is this comment on midget? Have you ever met Prost or Schumacher in real? Not exactly basketball players..
    But maybe you were not referring to how tall Felipe is...can you elaborate?

I was referring to his size, as he always remembers me of one of the Ewoks (star wars) ;-)

And I know that he was penalized, but I mentioned in my post that in MY opinion the penalty for running wide and for causing an accident should be different penalized..

Quote:
    Alex18_996CC said:
    oh boy!!!, just wanted to say that today's race was amazing.....

P1 for Alonso, opening an important gap vs kubica, and N.Piquet P4, he did an excellent job!!!!

Massa needs big holidays, at least that's what I thought when he touched with Hamilton....but gotta say his driving level at 3/4 of the race was better than everyone, doing laps one second faster than kimi, kubica, alonso.....

Now, before I GO TO BED (AGAIN ), I HOPE THE MAJORITY OF "ALONSO HATERS" WONT WRITE HE WAS LUCKY TODAY, AND BLA BLA BLA....

too bad reanult improved the car this late, but better than never !!

N.Piquet

hasta mañana amigos !!!

Como siempre gano el mejor!!!!

What was the result? I was in an Audi R8 all afternoon : )

Quote:
    gangajas said:
    Congratulations to Alonso, he's doing a great second half of the season.

Yep, he's the driver who scored the most points in the last 6 races.

what! extra point for FM?

Quote:
    Lord_Driftalot said:

I think Kimi Raikkonen will disagree strongly with your remarks about the first corner. Hamilton DID in fact hit KR and also managed to push him off the track. He drove way too aggressively and was punished accordingly.
    It wasnt his driving line, he braked way too late and forced his opponents off the track to avoid colliding with him.
    Two races back a lot of drivers were complaining about LH's driving style, and how he forces others off the track.
    The FIA has frequently made really lame decisions, but this one was dead on.
    The Massa/LH incident was also judged correctly by the FIA IMO. Massa had lost his position, went wide over the curb and hit LH. Pure and simple.
    I agree he is an annoying midget, but since I find LH absolutely 100% intolerable I was LMAO when he ruined Hamilton's chances today.

Suddenly Kubica is in play, although his chances are slim.
    It would be a perfect way to end the season, if we saw him as WC instead of the midget or the mega-egomaniac.

Quote:
    bazza said:

Yes, inderectly. How convenient. LOL! The FIA never seizes to amaze me.
    Why not make the decision to give Bourdais a drive-thru DURING THE RACE????
    It's so rotten it's a farce. Why not just hand Massa the championship or make it an FIA rule that whichever team wins must be Ferrari

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/10/8520.html

Friends, which F1 race did you see??? :)

Massa did hit Ham on purpose so has penalised .
    , Ham did a suicide manovre on the start , (and ruined what could have been a spetacular race), so it was correct to be penalised .

After Bourdais hit Massa it came on the screen that the incedent would be investigated after the race, so i don't see were is the big scandal...

Alonso has again very lucky but he fully deserves the victory , thanks to Ham that made that "Montoya manouvre" at the first corner.
    And also Hamilton was very lucky , on the day that the Ferraris had the fastest car by far , kaos has helped Ham.

Quote:
    rosso nuvola said:
    Alonso has again very lucky but he fully deserves the victory , thanks to Ham that made that "Montoya manouvre" at the first corner.
    And also Hamilton was very lucky , on the day that the Ferraris had the fastest car by far , kaos has helped Ham.

Alonso saved the day for F1 with his performance against Kubica before his pit stop. Some Schumacher-like in-laps before refuelling!

IMO it was Massa's lucky day again today. Because before the race LH was poised to increase his lead in the championship and FM to struggle for points. Not only LH did not gain but he also reduced his lead by 1 point and then a bonus point from FIA so it makes 2!
    Also in the manufacturers' championship McLaren blew it (literally)!

No matter whatever push Ferrari get, fact is that McLaren are in strong need of restructuring and I hope Mercedes take action soon!

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Quote:
    bazza said:

It's so rotten it's a farce. Why not just hand Massa the championship or make it an FIA rule that whichever team wins must be Ferrari

+1

According to Glock, Golden Boy blocked his teammate Trulli for two laps when he was one lap behind, I guess he doesn't know how to deal with the monkeys:

http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news/...g_08101216.html

Considering the way Golden Boy unlapped in the last lap and knowing how he is (an egomaniac that has already put other drivers in serious danger several times), I'm not surprised by his attitude.

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    rosso nuvola said:

Alonso saved the day for F1 with his performance against Kubica before his pit stop. Some Schumacher-like in-laps before refuelling!

IMO it was Massa's lucky day again today. Because before the race LH was poised to increase his lead in the championship and FM to struggle for points. Not only LH did not gain but he also reduced his lead by 1 point and then a bonus point from FIA so it makes 2!
    Also in the manufacturers' championship McLaren blew it (literally)!

No matter whatever push Ferrari get, fact is that McLaren are in strong need of restructuring and I hope Mercedes take action soon!

Maybe its because i am pro Ferrari , but it is a mistery for me how is that Massa was very lucky

That "montoya move" from Ham at the first corner was nonsense and he was very lucky that he didn't crash with no one, then there is Ham team mate that did a very strange move on Kimi also at the first corner , then this track is very hard on the tires so i don't see how could Ham win this race even if he hadn't sleeped on the start, since is car and his driving style are very hard on the tires life.

Then the Bourdais case, now why is this point a bonus for massa?? When you leave the box you always have a blue light at the end of the box , and Massa was in front by half a car so i don't see no bonus ...

Sir Fernando Alonso

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Quote:
    bazza said:

+1

that make me hate fia and ferrari more!

i will never buy any of their cars!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761700 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434987 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260303 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257395 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80872 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871803 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807161 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM