Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Rennteam Meet Somewhere in the South of Englan

Quote:
    racerx said:
    Quote:
    John H said:

As a starter, a friend of mine called Steve Howe has produced a brilliant independant web-site of Chester which you may find interesting....link - http://www.chesterwalls.info/chester.html

Part-way down the index on the left is a link to 'Tower Wharf'. In that you'll find another link to one of my entertainment venues, in Chester, called 'Telford's Warehouse'....these premises were the original warehousing facilities of Thomas Telford when engaged in the building of the Shropshire Union Canal.

I could go on, but will start the 'project' as soon as possible and let you know how it's going.

Please take a good look at Steve's site...it's the best part of a lifetime's work.

I was already on that site after a search of my own. Now i have a window open on Telfords Warehouse. I like the pic of the bar, nice lighting.

My experience is that british websites don't have enough pictures, current well taken shots. Even at the government sites that deal with tourist attractions. I don't know why, it is such a pcturesque country.

Because of that I can't tell if that great architecture in the section called The Cross continues through-out the city. I will look forward to any postings on the subject.

I'll reply to this post on the OT board.

Don't want to interrupt DC's 'meet-up' thread.

One last thing though...are there any other Rennteamers based in or close to Chester or Cheshire?

Please reply over on OT...thanks.

So, my understanding is the following are attending on 26th :-

Clewsey +1
    dreamcar
    kinrara
    Mex99
    RichC +1
    wtsnet

I'll book up The Kennels tomorrow (07/10) when they are open for 13:00hrs on 26th.

Perfect - gives those of us with a long drive time to get there......

I'll be taking the Donnington of the South, or A36 as most people call it!!!

Quote:
    mex99 said:
    Perfect - gives those of us with a long drive time to get there......

I'll be taking the Donnington of the South, or A36 as most people call it!!!

Let's make sure they've got room for us yet! I'll post tomorrow after making the reservation!

Quote:
    dreamcar said:

Clewsey +1
    dreamcar
    kinrara
    Mex99
    RichC +1
    wtsnet

I'll book up The Kennels tomorrow (07/10) when they are open for 13:00hrs on 26th.

Hello Dreamcar,

I might be around, keep me informed by PM please.

If I can make it, it will be with my Carrera GT.

F

Book me down also please.

Unsure on the Mrs though as she has other commitments that day. I will try to get her to rearrange.

Quote:
    Alex_997TT said:
    Book me down also please.

Unsure on the Mrs though as she has other commitments that day. I will try to get her to rearrange.

Will do

Quote:
    Futch said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:

Clewsey +1
    dreamcar
    kinrara
    Mex99
    RichC +1
    wtsnet

Hello Dreamcar,

I might be around, keep me informed by PM please.

If I can make it, it will be with my Carrera GT.

F

Will do - on your own or with partner?

Right. Kennels booked for a maximum of 12 people. Table is for 13:00hrs on 26th. The table time is strict because of numbers and they suggest aim to arrive 12:30hrs

We now need to think about the rest of the day, In guess drive down, lunch then a scenic drive back.

It sounds like wtsnet and me won't be the only mid engined sports car owners there

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Right. Kennels booked for a maximum of 12 people. Table is for 13:00hrs on 26th. The table time is strict because of numbers and they suggest aim to arrive 12:30hrs

We now need to think about the rest of the day, In guess drive down, lunch then a scenic drive back.

It sounds like wtsnet and me won't be the only mid engined sports car owners there

Cool, if it's a nice day I will plan a scenic drive there and back from Reading. That's 4 hours driving for me, so probably won't want to do a group convoy after lunch unless it is very short.

Please let me know if we get to 11 people - as then the Mrs has to decide immediately whether she's coming or not.

Quote:
    Alex_997TT said:
    Please let me know if we get to 11 people - as then the Mrs has to decide immediately whether she's coming or not.

List now is :-

Alex_997TT+1
    Clewsey +1
    Dreamcar
    Futch +1?
    Kinrara
    mex99
    RichC+1
    wtsnet

Which makes 12, so should be fine for your wife also.

Please, if anyone can't make it let me know as soon as possible in order that I can let The Kennels know.

Sounds great but if I see a CGT I am going to want one!!!!

Quote:
    Alex_997TT said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:

Cool, if it's a nice day I will plan a scenic drive there and back from Reading. That's 4 hours driving for me, so probably won't want to do a group convoy after lunch unless it is very short.

Alex, I'll be coming down from Mortimer, just south of Reading, if you want to convoy (is two cars a convoy??) down that day!

Quote:
    Rich C (UK) said:
    Quote:
    Alex_997TT said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:

Alex, I'll be coming down from Mortimer, just south of Reading, if you want to convoy (is two cars a convoy??) down that day!

Sure, sounds good! Just need to plan a good route down.

I see Simon (Clewsey) is close to us too - over in Sandhurst. Perhaps he would like to join our mini-supercar-convoy also?!

PS: The Mrs has confirmed now too.

Hi all, I'm certainly up for a "mini" convoy....any excuse to show the cars off

Rich/Simon - any suggestions where we could meet?

My calculated quickest route suggests the following (with point B being a Shell station). I realize though that it is probably not the route you would take Simon.

BTW guys, Sunday October 26th is when British Summer Time ends so the clocks go back 1 hour to GMT at 2am.

Quote:
    Alex_997TT said:

My calculated quickest route suggests the following (with point B being a Shell station). I realize though that it is probably not the route you would take Simon.

Alex, if you're around Theale then this looks the long way round... I'd drop down to the A33 -> M3 then X country from Winchester junc via A272 to Midhurst - some good fast sweeping roads if memory serves me right - bet it's 30seconds longer that's why autoroute didn't pick it up Plenty of petrol stations too if you guzzle as much fuel as I do And you'd be coming by my front door to meet up... not that I'm lazy

Simon if you're Sandhurst way we could even cut over to Hartly Witney on the A30 and meet up with you there before joining the M3. only ad 10 mins to the route above ....

Hi Rich/Alex, Hartley Witney is fine for me. There's a small Texaco petrol station just literally outside the main street where we could meet up.

As long as you both don't mind coming across that way.

Sounds good

Rich, I will aim to be in Mortimer about 10:30am. That gives us 2 hours to wind our way down.

PM me a road/place to meet up.

Quote:
    Alex_997TT said:

I wss going to suggest M3, A272 Winchester - Petersfield - Petworth then drop down to Chichester. More "P" road than motorway! Maybe I could meet up with you guys with kinrara and convoy down there. Some fabulous backroads that Kinrara knows, past Goodwood and down to The Kennels.

The Shell station you've identified is the Sutton Scotney services. I would suggest meeting there no later than 11:00hrs. Alternatively there are the services where the A34 joins the M3.

DC - as we're now coming down the A33 -> M3 we could meet in the Tesco's carpark like we've done in the past.. assuming I can keep up with Alex

Looking forward to it - hope we get some of the lovely crisp autumn weather we've been experiencing recently....

Quote:
    Rich C (UK) said:
    DC - as we're now coming down the A33 -> M3 we could meet in the Tesco's carpark like we've done in the past.. assuming I can keep up with Alex

Looking forward to it - hope we get some of the lovely crisp autumn weather we've been experiencing recently....

Yep, the Tesco services where the A34 meets the M3 is fine with me if it's fine with everyone else. Need to get away 11:00hrs prompt though as we must be at The Kennels by 12:30 and the twisties on the back road can be slow if we get caught behind the lesser spotted grockle etc

I'm looking forward to it also. My Boxster is the car to worry about having seen how fast a Boxey can be around the Nurburgring last weekend - porsche-jeck's 3.2 was smoking turbo's and GT3's with no problem

Hi!

Looks like you will all have had a ton of fun before I get there!!! My route will take me through Salisbury so I may detour slightly to meet you guys too.

I will give your Boxster due worry - mine's nice and slow!!

Simon, Alex,

I'll PM you a plan.. but would you guys be up for meeting 30-45mins earlier than initially discussed so we can meet up with DC et al?

Alex, hope your Powerkit is up to the job of keeping up with DC's Boxster

Quote:
    Rich C (UK) said:

Be warned guys, since my recent German adventure with porsche-jeck, kinrara (for his factory collection) and paralizer, I've now contracted "Ring Fever"

If you've caught 'Ring fever, DC, please do all us UK Rennteamers a massive favour and try to find a UK insurer who will offer us insurance cover on the Nordschleife. I've looked everywhere - and it's unbelievable that we can't add this to an annual car insurance policy like German Rennteamers can

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    If you've caught 'Ring fever, DC, please do all us UK Rennteamers a massive favour and try to find a UK insurer who will offer us insurance cover on the Nordschleife. I've looked everywhere - and it's unbelievable that we can't add this to an annual car insurance policy like German Rennteamers can

There are insurers out there but looking at Pounds250.00 / day

Porsche-jeck was telling us that the car friendly German authorities will even allow against tax driver tuition at the 'ring if their employment involves driving

Try that one with HM Revenue & Customs

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    Rich C (UK) said:

Be warned guys, since my recent German adventure with porsche-jeck, kinrara (for his factory collection) and paralizer, I've now contracted "Ring Fever"

We had a Boxster S (550 Spyder 50th Anniversary Ed) with us on the Porsche GB trip to Switzerland. He seriously struggled to keep up with us (997C2+997C2S+997C2SX51+996TT+997TT+mine+GT2) and we constantly had to keep going back to look for him! The Carrera's did very well to keep up with the Turbo charged cars.

We WON'T be doing those kind of speeds though on public UK roads. Far too busy, far too many policemen/cameras about. I like my license thankyou

This is why 800Nm torque is so great, you can put a huge smile on your face in a straight-line (and then immediately back down again with the ceramics) without having to go around corners at face bending speeds (it can do that too now though with the new suspension - well on flat roads anyway)

Quote:
    Rich C (UK) said:
    I'll PM you a plan.. but would you guys be up for meeting 30-45mins earlier than initially discussed so we can meet up with DC et al?

Fine by me.

Wait - do we gain an hour or lose an hour that day?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689450 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409153 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255710 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234973 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65517 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4645 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857925 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773967 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM