Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

I'm fuming! Fools who can't drive!

Out of boredom waiting for the call truck. I'm posting this off my phone.

I decide to take the Carrera out for a leisurely morning drive. So I am at a traffic light and there is a white Toyota Corolla next to me. Light goes green and I drive off casually. This Corolla then starting turning left into my lane and almost hits me, so I slam on brakes and veer a bit to the left. Next thing I hear this loud pop and I'm flashing lights at him and he keeps driving on as if nothing happened. My rear left tyre was instantly flat and now I'm on the side of the road waiting for a new tyre to arrive

Re: I'm fuming! Fools who can't drive!

My poor wheel! It was spotless for 3 years before this happened.

Edit: woops it seems the upload feature does not work for my phone. Will post pics when I get home.

Sorry MikeS about this experience..especially when caused by a foolish driver!!!!
    This is better than him hitting your fender or front bumper, then you have much more to worry about. I guess you now have to change both rear tyres, and after 3 years it is a good time to do so.

Yeah, I'm going to swap both rear tyres while I'm at it. They guy said it is buckled, so they will see if a repair is possible. It doesn't look bad so I doubt that would be the case.

Here are the pics.

your rim has taken a serious hit. are you changing that too?

Not sure, they going to see if they can repair it. If not, then I will have it changed.

Sorry to hear this Mike
    Its hard to tell from the photos but if the wheel is not bent and its just scrached, they should be able to fix it 100% as good as new.

Sorry to say this but from my perspective, your wheel appears to be bent.
    The testicles of these sorts of people should be hung from their trailer hitches.
    Not in effigy, but for real!

Thats definitely bent. Personally I'd change it. Feel sorry for you Mike I really do. So when the guy was turning into you did you hit a pot hole/kerb trying to avoid him...

Did you get his plate and any witnesses?

At least he didn't also give you the finger because you were driving a Porsche.

Stuuupid idiott.

We're curious: If you had a spare would the experience have been significantly less PITA?

Sorry to hear this Mike ...maybe you could get a new wheel on your insurance?

You must be paying a fortune on a fleet like yours...they shouldn't squabble about one wheel.

Quote:
    MMD said:

Stuuupid idiott.

We're curious: If you had a spare would the experience have been significantly less PITA?

LOL. I got pulled over for speeding in my 997 once and people would drove by and honk in approval. Mind boggling, really.

There's no explaining the actions of some people Mike; I'm glad it wasn't worse.

Oh, FWIW and BTW, in case this "loud pop" happens someone else when they graze the curb and pop the tire's bead: MAYBE you can use air pump to re-inflate and get outta there.

Would be for a short trip and very slowly of course.

Depends on how much the tire is unseated from rim. Considering the direction of the air flow a _short_ "explosive" release of air could _possibly_ allow the bead to stay seated.

Just a guess... .

Looks like Mike's bead is still intact.

Mike: was the tire _punctured_?

Quote:
    ResB said:
    Thats definitely bent. Personally I'd change it. Feel sorry for you Mike I really do. So when the guy was turning into you did you hit a pot hole/kerb trying to avoid him...

Did you get his plate and any witnesses?

Yes. I had to swerve to the left to avoid him hitting my front right side. The people in the back of the car even turned around, but the driver decided to keep driving. I was too infuriated so I didn't bother to jot down the plates.

Luckily I was only traveling around 40-50kmh when it happened so nothing drastic in the car's behavior could have changed.

Quote:
    John H said:
    Sorry to hear this Mike ...maybe you could get a new wheel on your insurance?

You must be paying a fortune on a fleet like yours...they shouldn't squabble about one wheel.

I'll see what the quote comes in at. I'm guessing around $300-400 for the wheel repair (if possible) and then another $900 for a new tyre.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Oh, FWIW and BTW, in case this "loud pop" happens someone else when they graze the curb and pop the tire's bead: MAYBE you can use air pump to re-inflate and get outta there.

Would be for a short trip and very slowly of course.

Depends on how much the tire is unseated from rim. Considering the direction of the air flow a _short_ "explosive" release of air could _possibly_ allow the bead to stay seated.

Just a guess... .

Looks like Mike's bead is still intact.

Mike: was the tire _punctured_?

Hi MMD, that wheel was flat instantly. It was pierced/slashed through in 2 places on the side wall

Thanks for the concern everybody - I hope I get my car back on the road 100% within this week. Such a shame these things happen from time to time. Nothing we can do about it.

Quote:
    MMD said:

Stuuupid idiott.

Porsche Assist was quite fast, was there within 1 hour - I think if it were longer then yes, a spare wheel would have been better. They gave me a front lobster design wheel for temporary replacement. At least I can drive it almost like normal instead of those speed restrictive wheelbarrow wheels

Yep, it's bent for sure.
    Those sunday drivers... we all know them, tossers.

Quote:
    Mike S said:...I slam on brakes and veer a bit to the left. Next thing I hear this loud pop and I'm flashing lights at him and he keeps driving on as if nothing happened. My rear left tyre was instantly flat and now I'm on the side of the road waiting for a new tyre to arrive...

What caused the tears on the sidewall? Did you drive over debris, curb, or pothole to cause that?

Quote:
    Mike S said:

Hi MMD, that wheel was flat instantly. It was pierced/slashed through in 2 places on the side wall

AWWGGGH!

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    Mike S said:...I slam on brakes and veer a bit to the left. Next thing I hear this loud pop and I'm flashing lights at him and he keeps driving on as if nothing happened. My rear left tyre was instantly flat and now I'm on the side of the road waiting for a new tyre to arrive...

What caused the tears on the sidewall? Did you drive over debris, curb, or pothole to cause that?

I have no clue, I wish I knew. I just heard the pop as soon as I had to turn slightly left.

Yes, yes, yes.... the god^%*med stuuuuuuuuupid idiots most of us see regularly. Three days ago, while driving on a side street next to my home, lined with cars on either side of the road, I am staying to the right of the road as much as possible and see an approaching SUV coming head on and the driver is right in the middle of the road. He was still far enough for me to drive around a car parked on the side of the road and, seeing him come still on the middle I quickly get to the right between the car I just went around and another one parked on the same side but ahead of it and came to a complete stop so that he could keep going. The nerve on the [beep] when he stops, still in the middle of the road and invading my side enough that his front left fender would have ripped my front left fender and starts gesturing and gesticulating all kinds of insults and starts telling me "that's some good driving you [beep], f..k you." I make signs for him to just get to his side of the road like a normal driver would do indicating him that he's got about a car's width to his right... if only he stayed to his right as much as possible, this would have never happened.

What really gets me is that these people are such idiots but don't realize it. They think the one making the mistake is the other guy, when it's clear that they have a brain the size of an amoeba.

Yikes! Very upsetting situation.

What I do?

I think of the idiotts as bad pets.

IOW, like a bad dog who is just focusing or transferring his aggression on you because he's been sick or mistreated of scared or threatened.

Got to take a deep breath and realize you are surrounded by potential animals with bad tempers that are easily provoked.

Watch the Jerry Springer Show, next time you're sick and stay home from work: brilliant insights can be gained from a limited exposure to that Nobel-prize-worthy show.

MMD, are you suggesting or approving of my idea of smacking the bad drivers on the nose with a rolled up newspaper, yelling "Bad Boy!" ?

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any sort of pre-licensing TRAINING going on anymore. We're surrounded by idiots.

Quote:
    Minok said:
    MMD, are you suggesting or approving of my idea of smacking the bad drivers on the nose with a rolled up newspaper, yelling "Bad Boy!" ?

HAHAHA! THAT might work!! Good One! Think about making impressions on people to change their ways! Would be funny effect if a cop did that to us when he was going to give out a speeding ticket.

Hummmm..., OTOH, Isn't the alternative to track them down, make them beg for their lives and _then_ shoot them?

Nah, there's some people who can't handle stress, they have grade-school-level coping skills. You gotta let go and get out of their way.

I still haven't heard back from Porsche and they said they would phone me on Monday. My wheel must be really stuffed

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM