Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Roadster

Tesla Chief Accounting Officer Dave Morton resigns after just a month

Tesla's chief accounting officer, Dave Morton, has resigned after just a month, citing "the level of public attention placed on the company," the carmaker said in an 8K filing.

News of Morton's quick departure follows CEOElon Musk's bizarre weed-and-whiskey interviewwith Joe Rogan.

"Since I joined Tesla on August 6, the level of public attention placed on the company, as well as the pace within the company, have exceeded my expectations," Morton said in the filing. "As a result, this caused me to reconsider my future. I want to be clear that I believe strongly in Tesla, its mission and its future prospects, and I have no disagreements with Tesla's leadership or its financial reporting."

Tesla Chief Accounting Officer Dave Morton resigns after just a month

Link: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/07/teslas-chief-accounting-officer-dave-morton-resigns-after-just-a-month.html

Carlos from Spain:

That's true, there should be a fail system in place to avoid misuse of the not fully autonomous autopiot like forcing the driver to keep the hands on the wheel at all times or the system disengages, but then that would make it too obvious that its not even close to fully autonomous system and they rather not for marketing reasons broken heart

Still, in the case above the woman has no right to sue, she was at fault for using a semi-autonomous system like if it wad a fully autonomous, just like the guy letting the tesla go through a red light because the idiot didnt know its not supposed to see traffic lights.

It is not that clear cut an issue but Tesla has hyped a system without developing any safeguards.   Plus, sales people are prone to say anything for a sale. If this case is allowed to proceed, a jury verdict in her favor is highly possible.   

https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/07/technology/elon-musk-joe-rogan/index.html

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Carlos from Spain:

That's true, there should be a fail system in place to avoid misuse of the not fully autonomous autopiot like forcing the driver to keep the hands on the wheel at all times or the system disengages, but then that would make it too obvious that its not even close to fully autonomous system and they rather not for marketing reasons broken heart

Still, in the case above the woman has no right to sue, she was at fault for using a semi-autonomous system like if it wad a fully autonomous, just like the guy letting the tesla go through a red light because the idiot didnt know its not supposed to see traffic lights.

NTSB could always legislate a law that says all autonomous cars can only travel at 5km/hr maximum AND have a flashing yellow light on the roof with a sign that says IDIOT MODE ENGAGED to warn other drivers.....

I seriously don't get autonomous mode, if one hates driving that much, why don't they ask the wife/girlfriend to drive, or take the bus, take the subway or get a driver or call Uber? Then they can have all sorts of tine texting on their phone or watching Youtube videos on their phones.

--

the only upside I see to autonomous driving is that maybe we can finally get the Sunday drivers out of the left lane if its the car that is driving smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Whoopsy:
    Carlos from Spain:

NTSB could always legislate a law that says all autonomous cars can only travel at 5km/hr maximum AND have a flashing yellow light on the roof with a sign that says IDIOT MODE ENGAGED to warn other drivers.....

I seriously don't get autonomous mode, if one hates driving that much, why don't they ask the wife/girlfriend to drive, or take the bus, take the subway or get a driver or call Uber? Then they can have all sorts of tine texting on their phone or watching Youtube videos on their phones.

Eventually, automobiles, or the replacement transportation technologies, will operate in autonomous modes to help facilitate increased traffic flow as urban and exurban areas populations increase over the next century.  However, as you have pointed out, the current levels of self-driving systems fail to replicate even the worse quintile of human drivers.  One is even less confident of Tesla's systems versus its competition, namely General Motors' Supercruise and Audi's AI, as Tesla's system relies solely on a camera-based system combined with some level of artificial intelligence.  One little discussed technology developed for the United States Apollo moon program was the use of Kalman Filtering which combines information from differing sensor systems, i.e., sensor fusion, to increase accuracy.  That redundancy, from multiple sensor types, is missing in the current iteration of Tesla's Autopilot, yet present in virtually all the other automakers' products. 

CGX car nut:

Eventually, automobiles, or the replacement transportation technologies, will operate in autonomous modes to help facilitate increased traffic flow as urban and exurban areas populations increase over the next century.  However, as you have pointed out, the current levels of self-driving systems fail to replicate even the worse quintile of human drivers.  One is even less confident of Tesla's systems versus its competition, namely General Motors' Supercruise and Audi's AI, as Tesla's system relies solely on a camera-based system combined with some level of artificial intelligence.  One little discussed technology developed for the United States Apollo moon program was the use of Kalman Filtering which combines information from differing sensor systems, i.e., sensor fusion, to increase accuracy.  That redundancy, from multiple sensor types, is missing in the current iteration of Tesla's Autopilot, yet present in virtually all the other automakers' products. 

Off topic, but funny what one can learn here on Rennteam.  I was not aware of Kalman Filtering so did a quick read up on it.  Turns out extended Kalman filtering may help me out here at work.  Thanks CGX car nut!

Dave knows everything about the Kalman filter indecisionkiss

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Drivers are expensive and cumbersome... Uber you never know the quality of who you get, which is a huge issue for longer commutes.

bluelines:

Dave knows everything about the Kalman filter indecisionkiss

Haha, yeah, there’s a blast from the past ;-)

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1015948/elon-musk-simulation-theory-spacex-tesla-joe-rogan-experience

Elon Musk says humanity is trapped in real life MATRIX – and here’s why

--

Carlos from Spain:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1015948/elon-musk-simulation-theory-spacex-tesla-joe-rogan-experience

Elon Musk says humanity is trapped in real life MATRIX – and here’s why

No, Musk is trapped in his own cloud of pot smoke combined with a side of ambien and red wine.  

Did no ones’s Parents take away his or her internet privileges? So much Tesla and Elon musk news in the last couple months and nothing. This thread used to be so entertaining 

He got banned for making some pretty rude comments towards some other members. 

Rennteam is not the same since he left surprise

--

he definitely gave us some entertainment value. But I think he did step over the line a few times. 

Tesla's OTA problems lead to Autopilot failures:  https://slate.com/technology/2018/09/tesla-autopilot-problems-elon-musk.html

We had Elon Musk on Rennteam?  Didn't know that.

--

Jean:

Turned out Elon drove a RAV4, not a Tesla...

--

In the financial markets, debt investors have been reacting to recent events by reducing holdings of Tesla bonds...

1536959198974image.jpeg

...a few select comments from a Debtwire article...

1536959257958image.jpeg

1536959270320image.jpeg

1536959282801image.jpeg

Smiley

bluelines:
    Jean:

Only as his daily driver... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    bluelines:
    Jean:

Only as his daily driver... Smiley

Musk and RAV4? Now this explains the electronic rear view mirror. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Latest Tesla news, separate from the U.S. Department of Justice opening an investigation into Musk and Tesla regarding his going private Tweet, on the Model 3’s autobahn performance.  While that may better the performance of the Model S/X, the Model 3 still suffers compared with conventional automobiles.  https://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-autobahn-cutback/  It wasn’t even a warm day when the car was tested.

This offset in performance during higher speed driving easily explains Mercedes’ and Audi’s comments during the debut of their new EVs as well as the performance differential when compared with the Tesla products.  Audi’s new EV is amazing in its level of normalcy to other Audi products.  With deliveries scheduled to begin soon, I hope Audi can maintain similar performance regardless of driving conditions.

CGX car nut:

Latest Tesla news, separate from the U.S. Department of Justice opening an investigation into Musk and Tesla regarding his going private Tweet, on the Model 3’s autobahn performance.  While that may better the performance of the Model S/X, the Model 3 still suffers compared with conventional automobiles.  https://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-autobahn-cutback/  It wasn’t even a warm day when the car was tested.

This offset in performance during higher speed driving easily explains Mercedes’ and Audi’s comments during the debut of their new EVs as well as the performance differential when compared with the Tesla products.  Audi’s new EV is amazing in its level of normalcy to other Audi products.  With deliveries scheduled to begin soon, I hope Audi can maintain similar performance regardless of driving conditions.

Haven't been on here for a while, but I see that it's business as usual with the negative Tesla posts and German auto company bias Smiley

Regarding the Audi... VMAX 200km/h and they have an over boost feature that will allow for the 0-100 performance of 5.7 sec which mean that the full power will not be available except for in over boost mode that is capped to a certain amount of seconds before it cut back on power. You can guess why Smiley.. The Tesla can do 250km/h and accelerate mid 3 seconds and if the battery heat up they limit power output incrementally while it's cooling down. Audi do it the other way around.

The Audi in general is a rather weak and boring effort I must say. 6 years after Tesla launched their tech Audi can't come up with much that is better than Tesla from a drive train perspective. They brag about some weird digital wing mirrors and otherwise it's just an electrified Q5 that lacks innovation. And if you get one now, good luck finding a charger that can power it with 150kW... just 30kW up from Tesla.

Audi brag about their Cd-value and say it's best in class and that they worked with Aero... At 0,28Cd it's not very impressive in combination with the large front area. It will consume A LOT of energy, just like the I-Pace. Both Tesla X and S has a Cd of 0.24 so why Audi say they're better is a mystery. The high consumption mean that the charging speed is actually slower because what counts is how many km/miles you can add per minute of charging and if the car is inefficient it will in practice charge slower even if the kW-output of the charger is a bit higher. That Audi at VMAX will probably run for 150km before the battery is empty. Great autobahn car in Germany :)

lukestern:
    CGX car nut:

Haven't been on here for a while, but I see that it's business as usual with the negative Tesla posts and German auto company bias Smiley

Regarding the Audi... VMAX 200km/h and they have an over boost feature that will allow for the 0-100 performance of 5.7 sec which mean that the full power will not be available except for in over boost mode that is capped to a certain amount of seconds before it cut back on power. You can guess why Smiley.. The Tesla can do 250km/h and accelerate mid 3 seconds and if the battery heat up they limit power output incrementally while it's cooling down. Audi do it the other way around.

The Audi in general is a rather weak and boring effort I must say. 6 years after Tesla launched their tech Audi can't come up with much that is better than Tesla from a drive train perspective. They brag about some weird digital wing mirrors and otherwise it's just an electrified Q5 that lacks innovation. And if you get one now, good luck finding a charger that can power it with 150kW... just 30kW up from Tesla.

Audi brag about their Cd-value and say it's best in class and that they worked with Aero... At 0,28Cd it's not very impressive in combination with the large front area. It will consume A LOT of energy, just like the I-Pace. Both Tesla X and S has a Cd of 0.24 so why Audi say they're better is a mystery. The high consumption mean that the charging speed is actually slower because what counts is how many km/miles you can add per minute of charging and if the car is inefficient it will in practice charge slower even if the kW-output of the charger is a bit higher. That Audi at VMAX will probably run for 150km before the battery is empty. Great autobahn car in Germany :)

Mere speculation on your part as Audi tends to be conservative with its performance statistics.   If you had bothered to watch in the video in the enclosed link, you would note that Tesla tends to provide best case performance numbers under ideal conditions.   Audi, like the rest of the Volkswagen empire, must conform to a very rigorous set of standards before it allowed to go on sale.  Meanwhile, at Tesla, not much is known about its reliability and quality measures.  It can’t be too high and rigorous since Tesla is even having difficulties painting a car that has been in production for over a year!   

As one has stated before, the greates impediment to Tesla’s success is Elon Musk.  

The Tesla fan boys can argue performance all they want, but the truth is, performance on a Tesla is a one hit wonder, maybe 3 but no more.

it will do the numbers Elon say it can under ideal conditions for say 1 time a day or a couple times after some cool down and charging. 

Face it, the performance of the car only comes from the nature of the electric motor, it wasn't designed to be a performance car, it just happens to have the right propulsion for the job. The battery system, the wiring inside a Tesla is not designed from the grounds up to be in a high stress situation constantly, i.e. high rate of drain and high rate of charging. It was designed as a leisure golf cart fro the city that can do occasional 0-60 in 2.something seconds. Unlike the Formula E race cars where the battery is designed from the ground up to be a performance battery and the wiring thick enough to match the high current draw.

This is not something a software update can change, it was by design and limited by Tesla's choice of 400V system. European manufacturers are going 800V so at any give wattage the motor needs, the current draw is only half that of the system in a Tesla, what's the advantage? Less current means thinner wire and hence less weight.

https://youtu.be/A5DRCTW-Q7o

That's a 911 Turbo doing repeated launches without breaking. 50 times and counting.

I think that's a bare minimum standard for a Tesla to match in order for it to be called a 'performance' car.

It's not even high speed autobahn stuff, just basic stop light launches that Americans loves to do.

--

Nick, just be realistic, how many 0-60 in a row will someone do? I cannot even remember the last time I floored the Macan or the RR for a 0-60, if ever...

SciFrog:

Nick, just be realistic, how many 0-60 in a row will someone do? I cannot even remember the last time I floored the Macan or the RR for a 0-60, if ever...

It doesn't mean someone has to do 50+ in a row.

It just means the car is designed properly as a performance car and won't break or go into limp mode.

Look at the Skyline, or even a Aventador, they limits the number of launches so one ca't break the car. 

Porsche doesn't have those restrictions, just saying.

--

Also, look at how easily launch control mode can be accessed.

How may steps to get into that in a Tesla? Ferrari? Lamborghini, etc?

Compared to Porsche: Nail the brakes, floor the throttle, lift the brakes and hang on.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM