Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New 997FL - i have had enough!!!!

I have had enough.......

My 1st FL 997 had a water ingress issue (resolved) and creaking coming from the rear (which wasnt resolved).

I was given a different 997 as a gesture of goodwill (great I thought):-

After picking it up driving home it had a weird creaky vibration noise (worked out it was the cigarette lighter - which i have removed - noise gone)

I now have:-
    Creaking from drivers seatbelt area (especially when turning)
    Drivers seat is creaking from middle back area with pressure on it (moving around, accelerating, braking)
    Clutch makes a loud clicking noise when engaging/disengaging clutch (i know clicking is normal but this seems loud and is annoying - maybe it is normal)
    front instrument panel vibrates over certain road services (hard to reproduce)
    back area makes a weird vibrating noise occasionally (hard to reproduce) - seems to be when back area is vibrating more.

I know I am being extra sensitive and these are not really major issues but I cant believe that these kind of noises are acceptable on a 75k car. Seems that the build quality is really shoddy.

I spoke to the dealer and I feel they they I am being sensitive and mentioned all porche sports cars have there noises...... Which seems kind of true as in the past 3 months I have been in 5 different 997s (1gen1 3 gen2) and they all have had some kind of annoying noises.

Re: New 997FL - i have had enough!!!!

Coupe or Cab?

Cabs have way more creaks and rattles than Coupes.

I am SUPER sensitive to any kind of rattles or squeaks. They drive me mad!! I had to get my OPC to fit pieces of foam everywhere on my old C2S Cab. They were very familiar with most of the locations from others who had complained, so all noises were resolved pretty quick.

Haven't had one single rattle or vibration on my new Turbo coupe though in 7500 miles (although there was a little one when I collected underneath the passenger seat which went with pressure of someone sitting in the seat - that soon disappeared on it's own though).

Its a coupe.

The secret must be then to always get Porsches at least 2 years after the 'new' version is released. That gives Porsche time to iron out the creases on new models, facelifts and new technology introductions (such as PDK, PCCB, DI engines etc).

After the rattle horrors of my old 2005 Carrera (originally released 04) my 2008 Turbo (originally released 06) is as tight as could be

BTW - the clutch pedal click issue is a known one. I had it fixed by my OPC on my old Carrera.

yeah i suppose but this model has been around for a long time - just a few new bits and pieces - plus all the other guys with the new facelift seem to have no problems with rattles and noises....

was the click noise when you pressed the clutch to the floor it clicks and then when you release it it clicks again... I know its a microswitch for starting the car - but it does seem very loud - can even hear it with low volume music on....

going to give the OPC a ring tonight when I get home and book it in again when I come back from my holiday - im sick of the sight of the place to be honest do you think resolving the issues Ive mentioned would be able to be done in 1 day - drop car off first thing and pick up end of day?

I think if you have a 'large' OPC then they should be familiar with all the rattles you mentioned.

The drivers door pilar is a known one for example.

The click on the clutch yes is another known issue. As I say, OPC Reading knew about it and fixed it for me on my Carrera. It should click a little but if it's loud then this is an actual problem. I did a post on Rennteam about it at the time - not sure search will work for things longer than 2 years though.

I had similar experience three years ago. The issue is over inflated tires. Over inflated tires cause annoying vibrations in the cabin. Set your tire pressure to 33F/39R PSI (the Prosche reccomendation at partial load) and most of your problems will go away. My problems (almost identical to yours) did go away. Buy a tire pressure guage and make sure the tire pressure is set properly. Also your TPMS can tell you if any tire is over or under inflated. Remember to set the TPMS to "PARTIAL LOAD".

I have to say that all my vibration and creaks problems were "User" issues not "Car" issues. My dealer tried to help and they removed almost every interior panel and even the rear side windows. But the noise and vibrations remained. For more than one whole year (with countless visits to the dealer) no one thought that it could be a tire pressure issue.

In the process of trying to fix my problems, there was some damage to the interior and exterior of the car. The net result was I did not fully enjoy my first Porsche and seriously thought of selling it when it had few thousand miles on it. I am now replacing it with the 997.2 for which I am planning to follow Porsche's recommendations in the owner's manual before I ask the dealer to fix anything.

Good luck.

Tyre pressures...

That's very interesting. I have never experienced any noises or rattles in nearly 2 years of driving my 997S. And if this is because of the tyre pressure settings I have been using, then that's something I would never have realised or thought of.

I have always used partial load tyre pressure settings even when I drive at speed on the motorway. In fact, I use slightly more than partial load but less than full load.

Partial load is 2.3 bar front, 2.7 bar rear. Full load is 2.5 bar front, 3.0 bar rear.

I always use 2.4 bar front and 2.8 bar rear. I seldom carry a lot of stuff in my car. At most, there's me, my wife and a few bags (or some grocery shopping) so partial load works fine for us.

@Alex: I agree - IMHO it's best to wait for about 2 years for all the wrinkles to get ironed out. That's what I did. I got a MY07 car in Nov 2006 which was 2 years after launch

@spluff: I'm so sorry to hear of your problems. Hope they get resolved soon.

Re: Tyre pressures...

Wow, I guess that I have been very lucky. I have owned my car for about 6 months now and my only complaint was some peeling on the AC button that was quickly replaced. I also had the middle console replaced because of some peeling. Whoever owned the car before me must have been a sweating pig who had a very acidic Ph balance.

Other than that my car has been damn near perfect and it's 3 years old now.

I'm totally happy with my Porsche expereince. And from all the horror stories I was prepared for the worst.

And no I'm not going to knock on wood. I don't believe in that stuff. If it's going to happen it's going to happen. Knocking on wood isn't going to change anything.

My 911 is a great car!!! There.

Hang in there. The creeks and rattles are addressed in the TSBs (technical service bulletins) that come out for the car over time. IOW, a catalog of C&R will be formed over the next several months so your dealer will eventually know how to remedy your particular edition of car.

Assuming yours is not one of a kind, for example the result of one employee who did things wrong for two hours and was fired or corrected.

some creaking noises disappear when the car settles......

The point about delaying purchase is not valid because the FL 997, structure/body-wise is not different from the model introduced in 2004.

It might be valid about the new technology.

Nevertheless,I am very sensitive to rattles on any car, and from my experience:

1. Some rattles and creaks go away after a while as materials settle in. So don't get uptight, yet!
    2. Most sources/cures to rattles can be found by the owner and a patient friend on the weekend, driving round and trying to isolate noises. Much better than the dealerships.
    3.A lot of noises are ambient temperature related. The colder the weather the worse.
    4.The source is almost never where you hear the noise, but in most cases it is transimitted elsewhere in the car.

Good thought. How many miles does your car have on it?

car has done 600miles.

The rattle from behind is intermittent and only happened 4 times since Ive had car so not too worried yet about that. But it is quite worrying what it is. I did able to reproduce it when reversing make the back end shake with clutch and I could hear it.... Any ideas?

The clicking/creaking from the seatbelt has been there since day1 and is always present especially when cornering - not too annoying but I want it sorted.

The seat creak has got worse over time and if you push in the area where your back is positioned will make the noise. Is this a big job to fix??

The dashboard rattle was more distinctive when first got the car and recently havent heard it. I pressed around the dashboard area maybe that has fixed it.....

The clutch microswitch clicking is very annoying - everytime I press and release clutch it makes 2 clicking noise. I could handle it if it was quieter.

I have booked the car in at the dealer for the day so they can sort out:-

Chair Creak (i cant imagine this ever going over time)
    Seatbelt Noise
    Clutch click (check if click is normal loudness)
    Replace lighter with non-buzzy one

They think that all jobs should be able to be completed in day - only clutch if parts need ordering may need to come again. Do you think 1 day is realistic to sort these problems? Nothing major i presume?

You are way over-sensitive. I know no car that is silent on every road surface and especially sports cars. Recent 911s are far more rigid and noise free and most of the noises one hears are internal bit-parts noises. Those can be fixed.

Quote:
    spluff said:
    The rattle from behind is intermittent and only happened 4 times since Ive had car so not too worried yet about that. But it is quite worrying what it is. I did able to reproduce it when reversing make the back end shake with clutch and I could hear it.... Any ideas?

The seat creak has got worse over time and if you push in the area where your back is positioned will make the noise. Is this a big job to fix??

What transmission do you have? Manual or PDK?

What type seat do you have? manual or motorized?

its a manual with electric normal seats.....

the passenger seat is fine and the other car I had was fine... so I dont think I am being over sensitive to this.

I could live with the occasional rattle on hard surfaces - I know the suspension is harder - but some of these noises are constant.

Quote:
    spluff said:
    its a manual with electric normal seats.....

the passenger seat is fine and the other car I had was fine... so I dont think I am being over sensitive to this.

I could live with the occasional rattle on hard surfaces - I know the suspension is harder - but some of these noises are constant.

Those seats are very easy to tighten and lubricate.

I have heard some clicking around the driver's shoulder belt anchor in many 911s. I do not know if it's normal or if something is amiss.

What suspension do you have? PASM or S-PASM? If S-PASM you will endure more rattles.

I'm not saying you should not sort this, but I suggest you look at those yourself. Taking a car to the shop may (and often does) bring more problems. good luck and report back.

thanks for the help

the suspension is just normal pasm in normal mode. Good to hear that the seat should be an easy fix...

tbh i really dont want the dealer to work too much on the car thats why I was limiting the work to the seat, the seat belt and clutch - hopefully they cant screw too much up doing that I was thinking the longer I leave it the less likely they would fix it..... I dont think I could fix the seatbelt / clutch / seat myself......

Quote:
    spluff said:
    thanks for the help

the suspension is just normal pasm in normal mode. Good to hear that the seat should be an easy fix...

tbh i really dont want the dealer to work too much on the car thats why I was limiting the work to the seat, the seat belt and clutch - hopefully they cant screw too much up doing that I was thinking the longer I leave it the less likely they would fix it..... I dont think I could fix the seatbelt / clutch / seat myself......

I suspect that the clutch clicks you hear are 2 microswitches, which are perfectly normal. Try this: push the clutch and release several times at a constant rhythm, paying attention to the clicks you hear. If they are heard repeatedly at the same rhythm, they are normal.

yeah i do think they are normal but I have a feeling that this is louder than the other cars I have had as I cant remember hearing it before. Will find out anyway when I go to garage when they are fixing the other minor problems

There is definitely a TSB on the clutch noise.

Quote:
    Alex_997TT said:
    There is definitely a TSB on the clutch noise.

But wouldn't one expect that new production already incorporates it?

Sounds like you are having a tough time mate - I hope they can get ot sorted and you can enjoy your car - go get some miles done that will put a smile on your face!!

thanks mex it has somewhat soured the experience Ive had with the 2 cars - but I know once these issues I am gonna love the car and its performance and these niggles will be long forgotten.....

buy a bentley gt

Quote:
    spluff said:
    thanks for the help

Would definitely wait a good while to see if the noises go away by themselves. Much better than the dealer removing and replacing bits and possibly marking or damaging, or causing other noises! (In my experience ).

Quote:
    reginos said:
    The point about delaying purchase is not valid because the FL 997, structure/body-wise is not different from the model introduced in 2004.

Ditto that.

And if I had observed that strategy.....the last three Porsches would not have been in my garage.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761666 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434969 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260276 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257386 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80869 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871770 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807108 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM