Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche accueses Nissan of cheating

Quote:
    AUM said:
    I would like to see a five-lap race around the Ring between the fastest production cars with factory-selected racing drivers who can extract the car's ultimate performance.
    Cars must be certified stock by an independent authority..
    Cars start at one-minute intervals to avoid incidents.
    These are street cars so five laps is sufficient.

The results would be very interesting.

+1

Quote:
    BiTurbo said:

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=57410&vf=12

Ever heard of a thief saying I did steal ?

I'm surprised that PAG, and August Achleitner in particular, joined the controversy. They have nothing to gain. This will soon turn into a 'he said, she said' match. The only way out for PAG is to produce in a future car a better lap time.

It's good though that they got a GT-R to take a look as they must be feeling the pressure.

And... as many said, Ring numbers, as important as they are, are not the only parameter to be considered in one's choice of a sports car.

its good porsche knows what they are telling...

because if not... it will be very very shame.

lets wait

Quote:
    AUM said:
    I would like to see a five-lap race around the Ring between the fastest production cars with factory-selected racing drivers who can extract the car's ultimate performance.
    Cars must be certified stock by an independent authority.

We'll even this wouldn't work, because there are so many variances in tires. Some cars come with very aggresive almost race like rubber, and some come with street biased run-flats. Tire have the MOST to do with the ability of the car to corner. A good chassis/suspension simply enables the tire to work to it's maximum efficiency.

SO, I would just add, put all cars on exactly equal tires. Hell slap a set of the same R compounds on each car in their respective sizes. Then the tire factor comes OUT of the equation and you will see cars that normally perform mid-pack all of a sudden be front runners simply due to the lack of the stock tire compared to other cars.

Take the ZR-1 compared to the Z06, same chassis, same suspension geometry, actually SOFTER springs and smaller sway bars, but bigger HP, a trick magnetic shock and MICHELIN CUP "like" tires. The HP of the ZR-1 for example helps tremendously in a strait line, but the real improvement comes from the tires in that case. No way a car with lighter springs and smaller sway bars is out hanlding a car with stiffer springs and bigger sway bars. It's about the tires my friends. If you put a set of ZR1 tires in a Z06, you will see an HUGE differnce to the point where it almost becomes a new car.

I have seen a ZR-1 and checked out the tires and they are almost as soft feeling as my hardcore race compound rubber. I wonder if the GT-R doesn't field a similar advantage? From my previous post where the car raced in a class with other cars with similar tires and all of a sudden the car didn't perform so well???

This variable was nearly as pronounced as it was 10, even 5 years ago! Tire technology has come so far, and the manufacturers are more willing to push what they will put on their street cars to make great numbers. It is SO easy to get 3-4 seconds improvement in a car by making the tire compound more aggressive.

I have seen $5000 Miata's on R compound out corner the most expensive supercars on street tires. I always thought the Z06 was so limited in this area and even though it's performance was steller, was so underrated because of it's crappy run flat tires.

Quote:
    95jersey said:... No way a car with lighter springs and smaller sway bars is out hanlding a car with stiffer springs and bigger sway bars.

That is far from true, especially on the Ring. Stiff suspensions work well on smooth tracks - the Ring is quite bumpy.

Quote:
    95jersey said:
    Quote:
    AUM said:
    Cars must be certified stock by an independent authority.

We'll even this wouldn't work, because there are so many variances in tires. Some cars come with very aggresive almost race like rubber, and some come with street biased run-flats. Tire have the MOST to do with the ability of the car to corner. A good chassis/suspension simply enables the tire to work to it's maximum efficiency.

SO, I would just add, put all cars on exactly equal tires. Hell slap a set of the same R compounds on each car in their respective sizes. Then the tire factor comes OUT of the equation and you will see cars that normally perform mid-pack all of a sudden be front runners simply due to the lack of the stock tire compared to other cars.

Take the ZR-1 compared to the Z06, same chassis, same suspension geometry, actually SOFTER springs and smaller sway bars, but bigger HP, a trick magnetic shock and MICHELIN CUP "like" tires. The HP of the ZR-1 for example helps tremendously in a strait line, but the real improvement comes from the tires in that case. No way a car with lighter springs and smaller sway bars is out hanlding a car with stiffer springs and bigger sway bars. It's about the tires my friends. If you put a set of ZR1 tires in a Z06, you will see an HUGE differnce to the point where it almost becomes a new car.

I have seen a ZR-1 and checked out the tires and they are almost as soft feeling as my hardcore race compound rubber. I wonder if the GT-R doesn't field a similar advantage? From my previous post where the car raced in a class with other cars with similar tires and all of a sudden the car didn't perform so well???

This variable was nearly as pronounced as it was 10, even 5 years ago! Tire technology has come so far, and the manufacturers are more willing to push what they will put on their street cars to make great numbers. It is SO easy to get 3-4 seconds improvement in a car by making the tire compound more aggressive.

I have seen $5000 Miata's on R compound out corner the most expensive supercars on street tires. I always thought the Z06 was so limited in this area and even though it's performance was steller, was so underrated because of it's crappy run flat tires.

The point is to compare stock cars, on the tyres with which they are sold, with the least amount of variables. But it would be interesting to race again with all cars on the same tires and compare the difference.

Currently the Sport Auto times are the best Ring yardstick but they have too many variables, including weather and track conditions, tyres and the possibility of driver familiarity or bias with particular cars.

Nissan say: We didn't cheat with GT-R 'Ring time

Nissan defends legitimacy of GT-R supercar's record lap time against suspicions raised by rival Porsche. By ANDREW HEASLEY in Paris.

Nissan has hit back at suspicions raised by Porsche this week that the record Nurburgring lap time set by the GT-R supercar was achieved in anything other than a standard showroom-specification car.

The matter has reached top brass at Nissan, with its European spokesman at the Paris motor show today confirming the matter has gone ''quite high'' up in the company.

A senior Porsche engineer, August Achleitner, who supervises the development of all 911 sports cars, sparked controversy when he told Australian journalists at the launch of the new 911 Targa in Verona, Italy, this week that they were unable to replicate the record 7 minute 29 second lap time that Nissan claimed the GT-R set in April.

In the hands of a Porsche chassis engineer, the GT-R was 20 seconds slower than a 911 GT2 and 16 seconds slower than a Porsche 911 Turbo.

Achleitner questioned whether the GT-R was running a standard set-up on road tyres or perhaps something more track-oriented.

"Quite simply we're not going to get into a war of words with Porsche," said Nissan's European spokesman Neil Reeve. "The final word from us is that it was done on absolutely standard tyres which are available to customers in the showroom.They're not trick tyres - absolutely standard tyres, normal road tyres.

"The GT-R comes with Bridgestone and Goodyear (Dunlop). One tyre gives slightly better times around the 'Ring.

"We did it on Dunlop. They're available with the car," he said.

He was at a loss to explain the disparity over the lap time differences.

"I don't know, honestly I can't explain. I don't think it's for us to explain how they didn't match our time," Mr Reeve said.

"We absolutely maintain (that) Tochio Suzuki - the chief test driver on the GT-R program pounded thousands of laps - he got to know every inch of Nurburgring (circuit) and how the car performs on the Nurburgring and hence set that fabulous lap. More than that, I can't speculate. I can't explain why they couldn't match the time."

"We maintain that ... nothing special was done to the car."

He conceded that the controversy might play on the minds of potential GT-R buyers. Fast lap times of the famous 21-kilometre German circuit are increasingy being used by car companies for bragging rights over performance and engineering prowess.

"The people who'd buy a GT-R or 911 Turbo are not the type of people to make a purchase like that lightly. They going to do an incredible amount of research, they're going to read every single road test that's available in every magazine which is on the internet and they're going to draw their own conclusion. Will it put doubt in their mind? They might find it surprising. In our experience in Europe, the GT-R has widely matched, at least, if not beaten, the 911 Turbo on various track tests. They can draw their own conclusions.

"We think its performance speaks for itself,'' he said.

Reeve wouldn't rule out the possibility of a rematch for the world to see.

"We're considering our options. We're not saying more than that," he said.

"This (Porsche's questioning of Nissan's claim) happened two days ago, it was a surprising thing to read in the press, it's important.

"But let's not blow it out of all proportion. We're not crying about it. We're not going to sook about it.

"I'm cheeky enough to say it's flattering that Porsche have bought themselves a GT-R and flown it to Germany, they want to try it. I guess that's some kind of stamp of approval.

"It's great to have the competition. We're absolutely proud of the GT-R. It's a fabulous sports car, really epic.

"The level of performance that it delivers is really so impressive for the price it's positioned at," he said.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=57410&vf=12

I didn't read the entire thread, just want to add some observations from a crazy guy who recently tried to get below 7:30 with his modded 964 Turbo (993 GT2 engine tuned to 520 hp). For practise he booked a slot during the industry days at NoS and by chance Nissan was doing some fast laps with two GT-R. The cars were definitely not stock (especially enginewise). The GTRs could walk away from his 520 hp Porsche low weight Porsche on the straights, but he was not impressed by the corner performance. They clocked quite some laps all in the 7:35 - 7:40 mark.

if porsche is sure of what they are saying, why don't they claim it from their official spokesman, and not from an engineer???
    i do respect nissan for involving their top management and subsequently putting their credibility at stake by OFFICIALLY claiming they made the lap on standard dunlop tires with a standard car

i drove a gtr many times, and i was really impressed by its cornering ability

The factory tires of the GTR have been independently tested with a durometer and they are in the range of a Toyo R888 R-compound tire, and nowhere near a street tire. This is also why the life expectancy is less than 5k street miles.

Quote:
    eclou said:
    This is also why the life expectancy is less than 5k street miles.

I read the whole GTR-tranny-failing-due-to-too-many-launch-control thread, and in there a few guys have said they're already up to 8000 miles.

Have people already reported having to change their tires around the 5k-mile mark? That would seriously suck, for an EOM tire

Geoff

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    95jersey said:... No way a car with lighter springs and smaller sway bars is out hanlding a car with stiffer springs and bigger sway bars.

That is far from true, especially on the Ring. Stiff suspensions work well on smooth tracks - the Ring is quite bumpy.

This is understandable. I read somewhere that PASM is best turned "off" for the Ring, due to it's surface.

However, I think I was quicker with it on. It certainly felt better to me.

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    I didn't read the entire thread, just want to add some observations from a crazy guy who recently tried to get below 7:30 with his modded 964 Turbo (993 GT2 engine tuned to 520 hp). For practise he booked a slot during the industry days at NoS and by chance Nissan was doing some fast laps with two GT-R. The cars were definitely not stock (especially enginewise). The GTRs could walk away from his 520 hp Porsche low weight Porsche on the straights, but he was not impressed by the corner performance. They clocked quite some laps all in the 7:35 - 7:40 mark.

We have been spending quite a lot of time with Nissan during the past few months, and we're running our GT-R Competition with them to allow a lucky reader to sample a GT-R on the 'ring for themselves.

From what I understand the infamous lap time was set in ideal conditions using standard tyres on an unmodified car, however there are wider variations than you might realise in the term 'standard car'.

Firstly we found that a japanese spec GT-R was quite noticeably quicker than a US-spec GT-R, also from within a batch of 12 US spec GT-Rs when lapped around Silverstone's GP circuit they were not all equal.

The US spec GT-R accelerated on a par with the new PDK 997 C2, whereas the japanese spec GT-R we drove the following day was able to pull away from the 997.

Tyre wise we found that the GT-R's cornerspeed was up with (and beyond) the 997 GT2 (fitted with Michelin Cups), but the GT-R was at least 10mph slower than the GT2 on the straights. Despite this straight line disadvantage the GT-R was still quicker around a lap than the GT2, and that wasn't due to tyres nor a modified engine.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Nissan respond to Porsche's scathing criticism, I suspect it will be fun to watch..

Quote:
    SteveD said:
    Tyre wise we found that the GT-R's cornerspeed was up with (and beyond) the 997 GT2 (fitted with Michelin Cups), but the GT-R was at least 10mph slower than the GT2 on the straights. Despite this straight line disadvantage the GT-R was still quicker around a lap than the GT2, and that wasn't due to tyres nor a modified engine.

Was that an American or Japanese GT-R? How were the tires at the end of the test on both the GT2 and GT-R?

Thanks!

Quote:
    SteveD said:
    Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:

We have been spending quite a lot of time with Nissan during the past few months, and we're running our GT-R Competition with them to allow a lucky reader to sample a GT-R on the 'ring for themselves.

From what I understand the infamous lap time was set in ideal conditions using standard tyres on an unmodified car, however there are wider variations than you might realise in the term 'standard car'.

Firstly we found that a japanese spec GT-R was quite noticeably quicker than a US-spec GT-R, also from within a batch of 12 US spec GT-Rs when lapped around Silverstone's GP circuit they were not all equal.

The US spec GT-R accelerated on a par with the new PDK 997 C2, whereas the japanese spec GT-R we drove the following day was able to pull away from the 997.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Nissan respond to Porsche's scathing criticism, I suspect it will be fun to watch..

What explanation does Nissan offer for the japanese spec vs. US spec difference?

I am sure DR people must have tried to suss that out.

Anyway I am not damning the GT-R, but the whole affair is not straightforward at all.

I am not jumping into conclusions myself but equally the press should have been more careful and responsible before they passed their drooling verdicts on to unsuspecting readers. For example a US buyer might be led to order by tests involving Jap spec cars to find out that the car he paid for is not as quick.

Quote:
    SteveD said:
    however there are wider variations than you might realise in the term 'standard car'.

Yes, guess this is the very essence of it all
    Interesting observations Steve - thanks for sharing them with us

Quote:

What explanation does Nissan offer for the japanese spec vs. US spec difference?

I am sure DR people must have tried to suss that out.

Anyway I am not damning the GT-R, but the whole affair is not straightforward at all.

I am not jumping into conclusions myself but equally the press should have been more careful and responsible before they passed their drooling verdicts on to unsuspecting readers. For example a US buyer might be led to order by tests involving Jap spec cars to find out that the car he paid for is not as quick.

We have a good relationship with Nissan (and also Porsche) and they've been pretty open with us, but it was as much of a surprise to them how much a batch of GT-R's varied. These were all US-spec GT-R's that had been shipped over for the Nissan Race Academy events.

The Japanese spec GT-Rs were imported directly from the japenese market and were completely standard (since they were being re-sold as such shortly after we'd driven them). I believe that the Japanese spec GT-Rs are programmed to meet slighly different emission parameters and are therefore slightly more powerful, but I cannot confirm this as fact.

Tyre wear was actually very good. The cars we drove were fitted with the Bridgestone RE070 option, which are apparently slower than the Dunlop SP Sport 600s that were used to set that 7min 29 'ring lap, and the GT-R seemed to wear these very evenly.

In fact the only thing that seems to wilt on the track are its brakes, nevertheless it certainly doesn't feel like it weighs 1740kg, I'd say it feels like it weighs no more than 10% on top of the 911's 1400kg, but we haven't had the chance to put one on the scales yet.

Not sure if you've read the story behind the 7:29 lap or seen our drive with Tochio Suzuki >>

The story behind the 7:29 lap

GT-R vs 911 PDK Feature

On-board with Tochio Suzuki behind the wheel of a GT-R on DR TV

Thanks for this Steve! Have you guys done dyno tests to see how how the numbers vary?

Quote:
    boytronic said:
    Thanks for this Steve! Have you guys done dyno tests to see how how the numbers vary?

No we haven't yet. I guess we wanted to avoid a pi$$ing contest and just celebrate the virtues of these cars, but the story keeps on running so we may need to revisit it again.

One thing we haven't done yet is to publish our own direct comparison between the GT-R and GT2 using our videos and telemetry data. We will get started on this and see if we can publish our findings next week.

We've driven enough GT-Rs now to know how quick they are in real conditions and there's no way they've all been modified, we've also driven the GT2 many times and can appreciate where their respective strengths lie and why they can lap an F1 circuit like Silverstone in near identical lap times.

We will try and convey this a little more clearly in this next feature.

We have no axe to grind either way, but we're confident that the GT-R is no hoax, but neither does it make the P-cars redundant.

Steve,

thank you very much for the effort. I'd be curious where both cars, GT2 and GT-R, gain and loose time. I suppose the GT-R has advantages at turn-in and corner exit, the former because of better weight distribution than the 911, the later due to even better traction. If one considers these two cars over a longer period of time, the Porsche seems to have the edge in terms of reliability and wear & tear.

I for one Steve appreciate your level-headed and objective comments on this issue, not least because I am a big DR fan and a pre-order GTR customer.

Some of the responses to GTR related 'tall tales' and supposed fabrications are and have been laughable. Nissan have certainly made a splash with this thing.

Although I am still concerned that whilst trying to negotiate endless queues of smug mobiles on my way to Sainsburys my gearbox is going to disintegrate.

Thanks a lot for the info Steve.

Many unanswered questions even to you who deal with cars professionally.

For me and many others this GT-R affair is too obscure yet. Too many unchecked variables, too many rumours about reliability too.

IMO, Nissan should have had everything set up too straightforward in advance, before embarking of this marketing hype sort of campaign.

Thanks a lot Steve!

Quote:
    SteveD said:
    Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:

Very interesting, thanks This confirms that Nissan is at least cheating on all US customers.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    SteveD said:
    Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:

Very interesting, thanks This confirms that Nissan is at least cheating on all US customers.

Is Nissan the only brand whose US spec models are different? I don't think so.

The fact that the GTR is faster around silverstone when it is so much slower in the straights is very very strange to say the least.. Reason is that even if the gt2 is a bit slower in the corners (doubt that as well given rubber and weight) then the advantage in breaking should also be quite substantial give the nissan's pretty average brakes and.. err 300kg+ weight. I just can't see how the gtr would claw back so much time in corners to a gt2 unless.. the gt2 is really crap at cornering (it is not) or its was really wet..
    Something just does not add up here guys, sorry.

Dude,

what are you talking about ? the gtr/7.29 + 7.38 can outrun a veyron, 599, LP640 and an SLR 7.40

This car is Mission Impossible of the 21st century

If people want to think Nissan is cheating, you really can't convince those people that Nissan isn't. Its mainly because they want to believe that the car is cheating somehow. If a Nissan spokesman says "we are not cheating and its a legitimate lap", then detractors will only say their lying. If Nissan provides proof or evidence to the contrary then those detractors will say that its forged or misleading. To me, all I see is Porsche becoming more determined to produce quicker and more reliable cars

That much is true.. To be honest though, because of the simple physics involved I will be only convinced if I race one on the track. I recently saw a youtube video of gtr vs tt 0-400 and 0-1000m by this japanese magazine and to my surprise the gtr just managed to match the 0-1000 time with (but with lower trap speed) and lost the 0-400 by 3-4 tenths. So to get 30 seconds on the tt over Nbr is a bit too much of a result to believe.. Not that the tt is perfect (the ptm setup is a screw-up from P for sure) but I just don't believe in miracles.. Sorry.

Nissan might not be cheating about 7.29 lap time but they are cheating their customers, making them believe that they can do that and still get away with it. The customers are ending up with a wrecked car and void warranty, way to go Nissan.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781621 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442763 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263447 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261829 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85932 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5971 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881597 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819434 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM