Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: REPORT: Suspension upgrades with Bilstein + GM

Last set for tonight:

Baseline alignment, lowering and corner weighting has all been done now.

Alignment fine tuning and fitting my new Michelin's will happen tomorrow.

I never had a chance to compare the way you are doing now since I was at work and couldn't get off. This is a very good picture as it shows the relative positions of the holes (stock is about between the GMG's middle hole and the softest hole?) and the diameters of the 2 bars (seem to be same).

I assume this is the rear pair, from the drop link size.
    Do you have picture of the front pair please? Do they look the same also? How about positions of holes? TIA

Alex, it seems you have an excellent shop and I am sure he would have told you already, but it seems the front lower control arm is very close to hitting the sway bar, if not at rest then possibly at higher speed with bad road bumps?

BTW, these pictures could be extremely helpful for those down the line. When my car was being worked on, I actually looked at Atomic/Jason's pictures that he posted way back when, to see how his shop (Cantrell Motorsports) connected the Tarett's drop links. (Jason and Eclou were the first guinea pigs, and probably GT.)

Here is mine, not to show off, just for comparison. (Picture taken with wheel turned, I was checking the Tarett's behavior when wheel turning causes it to twist.)

I think he's fine. Yes, a good shop is key! Farnbacherloles all the way!

Fascinating, I guess this is what you'd call perfect corner balance! I've read a lot about this but have never seen it done. Thanks for the pictures.

Do you know how much height adjustment at each corner they had to do? Does the car have any noticeable height difference at each corner after the corner balance?

BTW, I've been told Beissbarth, the wheel alignment system that your shop is using, is top notch equipment and very expensive. GMG uses the same system.

Hey Alex,

fascinating!!!

Like GT I wonder which Bilsteins I have?

Looks like I need to spend some money 'again'.....

What was the lead time for the GM stuff?

Cheers

Nick

Re: REPORT: Suspension upgrades with Bilstein + GMG

Alex... great thread enjoyed it, thanks for making the effort and posting all the pics

Your weight grossed up to DIN ie 90% fuel load is right around the 1580kg mark which Porsche quote so I guess your wheels offset the extra weight of the UK spec sunroof and rear wiper ?

Report to come tomorrow when I get time but I wanted to say a HUGE thankyou to Chris for all his hard and most excellent work!!

...and boy does the Turbo look slick now it's lowered!

Cannga - with regards to sway widths:

Rear
    OEM 22.2mm
    Gmg 21.6mm

Front
    OEM 24mm
    Gmg 25.5mm

On the FRONT gmg bar's middle position is near equivalent to stock (slightly stiffer due to diameter).

On the rear gmg's bar the outermost position is stock with a further 2 stiffer inner positions .

And no, when the car was lowered from the supports, no components were close to touching

Quote:
    shavster said:
    What was the lead time for the GM stuff?

If in stock then 2 days FedEx from the States.

Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Alex... great thread enjoyed it, thanks for making the effort and posting all the pics

Your weight grossed up to DIN ie 90% fuel load is right around the 1580kg mark which Porsche quote so I guess your wheels offset the extra weight of the UK spec sunroof and rear wiper ?

But I have: PCCB (-20kg), HRE (-5kg), CG exhuast (-5kg). So all my factory 'luxury' extras have obviously made my car even more of a 'porker'!

Alex, that is sick looking!
    What do you measure out at the mid fenderwell to ground ht? I'm at 26.5" all around.

OK so initial report. Please note that I need to do a lot more driving before I can give a more balanced perspective.

Bilstein's are the only aftermarket dampeners that I know which work with PASM (given the OEM ones are bottom of the range Bilstein anyway). That means the sport button still switches between soft and hard options.

If 0-10 is the range for a stock Turbo with normal mode being 0 and 10 being sport, then with the new Bilstein's normal is about 6 and sport is about 8 of 10. So normal is stiffer and sport is softer than stock - with the difference between the two much less apparent.

Now the big difference is how those bumps feel. So in normal mode you now feel more bumps in the road but instead of feeling all sharp and jagged (like stock Sport mode) the bumps now feel smoothed out. Chris likened this to stock feeling 'acidic' and the Damptronics feeling 'creamy'.

The whole car feels very much stiffer, flatter under acceleration (no squatting) and braking, and generally much more tight.

On the test drive me and Chris did, we couldn't invoke any over or under-steer going fast around (and around!) very small roundabouts. And on hard acceleration out of corners the car just grips into the tarmac and powers off!

Chris has done a great job with the geometry too, steering is very sharp and precise and as I mentioned the car just feels very balanced through corners now. We basically started of with GT3RS targets and then modified them slightly based on Chris' experience.

I will post later some pics of the alignment and corner balancing sheets Chris printed off for me.

That's all for now (as I have lots of work to get back to) but sufficed to say, I am extremely happy with my now near 'perfect Turbo'!

The final magic pictures:

Wow...What an amazing installation. You've just made it very easy for anyone in London who likes to install the Bilstein. I would just use the same shop!!

I love the corner balance result btw (I want it... I want it... ). And thanks for the data & pics of the sways; I'll have to import the info to the other thread. Did your installer say anything about the fact that the diameter of stock rear sway is bigger than GMG's?

I have some questions about the rear toe link later. But for now, congrats!

@Alex: this is an amazing thread - truly inspirational. I am filing this thread away for the day (some years hence) when I get a TT.

All I can say is wow - your TT is lucky to have an owner like you

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Wow...What an amazing installation. You've just made it very easy for anyone in London who likes to install the Bilstein. I would just use the same shop!!

Cheers buddy

Yes, Chris said there was not one single complication with the install. It's all in the attention to detail on the preparation though. He took apart every single part, checked it was ok and then greased it!

Personally I wouldn't use anyone else apart from Chris again for suspension related changes here in the UK. He knows his stuff and is excellent at what he does. The Porsche Club GB guys all swear by him - and I now see why!

So first driving impressions?? The suspense is killing us here!

GT - look about 5 posts up for first impressions!

I have just been out for an hour on some back roads. The car feels extremely tight and agile. The new tyres need wearing in a little but even in the wet it's hard to reach the car's grip limits on quiet public roads.

The only thing that I am a little concerned with is the stiffness of the car over rough terrain, especially when going slow.

I am rethinking my 0-10 initial assessment. I would now say normal and sport are closer to 7 and 8 with an empty fuel guage and 5 and 7 with a full tank.

Also you have to creep over and kind of crest in the road surface otherwise you scrape your underside!

So I would say that my configuration is probably at the limit of daily driver usage but take it on some flat twisties and you won't stop smiling for hours!

Did you lower the car by 25-30mm alex?

GT2 level ie -20mm under stock Turbo.

Exact heights are detailed earlier in this thread.

Alex,

Question about your Turbo's ride height please. Is this picture the one showing the front ride height measurement? In other words, from this spot, the measurement reads 118mm in your car?

I am going to check mine to compare to yours, as my car's "official" ride height measurement was not done.

And, this is the rear measurement of 133mm?

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Question about your Turbo's ride height please. Is this picture the one showing the front ride height measurement? In other words, from this spot, the measurement reads 118mm in your car?

I am not sure, I will ask Chris and get back to you.

OK, so Chris said:

Quote:
    The photos show the factory measuring points. The front was taken without under-tray. There is a hole in the under-tray through which the bolt is visible

The rear - is a milled flat on the alloy sub-frame, you must make sure that the car is fully fueled, tyre pressures correct and on level ground.

Hope that helps

Couple of (not so great) shots I took with my iPhone on the last day:

You can see the supplied long Bilstein drop-links on the front and the short stock drop-links on the back.

Yes it's very helpful. Thank you. Finally someone shows me an actual picture of ride height measurement. I'll be searching under my car this weekend. Am sure my wife will be observing with a look of bewilderment.

BTW, I must admit in my spare time I look at the pictures you've posted in this thread. Turbo = the gift that keeps giving, and taking. Grin.

Quote:
    Alex_997TT said:
    OK, so Chris said:

Quote:
    The photos show the factory measuring points. The front was taken without under-tray. There is a hole in the under-tray through which the bolt is visible

The rear - is a milled flat on the alloy sub-frame, you must make sure that the car is fully fueled, tyre pressures correct and on level ground.

Hope that helps

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780612 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442500 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263304 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261610 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85757 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5899 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881346 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818667 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM