Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

My Mini's biography, new chapters to be added

Hi all,

I've begun modifications with my Mini and I've never had a "build" as extensive as this done onto any of my cars (I'm not really the modifying type). What I've decided to differently here is, I am trying to DIY where I can - the more difficult parts I will have installed by a shop.

I will get to the details of what exactly is going to be done soon enough.

Let's have a recap of how my car's life started out.

When it was 100% stock.

I then decided I was going to put on the JCW tuning kit and JCW big brake kit. Before I did this I put on some new wheels. Still looking pretty dull, but it's getting there.

Here it is just before the new parts goes in.

At the shop. I also added spot lights, couldn't resist after seeing the movie "Italian Job" (the new version). Here it is at BMW getting its new parts.

Out of the workshop!

I then decided the front was starting to look terrible with all the stone chips. So I had the entire front resprayed and replaced 2 foglights as they got struck by some rock and cracked. I also had the black bumper, side skirts and wheel arches painted body colour. After 2 weeks it had 3M anti stone chip film put on the front. This is what it looked like. Also put on JCW badges on the fenders underneath the "S" badge.

I then proceeded to put on a HID kit to give it a newer look at night.

Here it is with the new rear tail lights I got from BMW. This included the 3rd brake light at the top all changed to clear.

That is basically where it stops. Everything I post below this is what is new to the car. I hope you enjoy this thread. The car is still work in progress and will keep you with updates.

Re: My Mini's biography, new chapters to be added

I'm basically going to be doing the following with the car:

new head
    new header
    new camshaft
    new reduced supercharger pulley
    new ignition coils
    new ignition wires
    new iridium spark plugs
    larger injectors
    new front and rear slotted brake rotors
    new stainless steel braided brake lines
    new performance air filter
    strut bar
    oil catch can
    new bonnet scoop
    boost gauge
    larger intercooler

Before all this goes on, I had to have the car dyno'd so at least I can see what my gains are.
    Quite low for a JCW, they suspect it's a slipping belt. That will be changed anyways when the new supercharger pulley gets installed.

Special delivery from Fedex!

My new bonnet scoop, still has to be painted to match.

I got to work and got the oil catch can installed and running. It looks great!

Here is the scoop back from the paint shop.

Now I decided to try put in the boost gauge myself. Seeing that I will be boosting more after the pulley upgrade, I decided to put one in now so I can compare the after results.

Picked it up at a local motorsport shop for $90
    First to link it to the fuel pressure regulator.

The little T-piece.

Here is the boost sensor, have to finish the wiring and then connect the tube. Then to get the wires through the firewall.

I had to fabricate a custom mount for the boost gauge. Modified a gutter retainer with a Dremel tool Polished it then sanded it down, painted with primer then with matt black spray paint.

Looks pretty good, had to find new screws to go over the OEM holes.

With the gauge on. Not too shabby for a DIY!

Now to link up the wiring.

I eventually got everything up and running and will take pics of the final product. Stay tuned for more

I figured we don't have enough build threads here and this has been a very interesting exercise for me, I must say I'm really enjoying it!

Good luck Mike with the build. There is always a greater sense of satisfaction doing a job oneself.

Looking forward to the LP640 biography.

great job mike !! keep it up, as a possible mini owner ( ) this all seems very interesting to me. ill just keep hoping that my uncle finally gives in and sells me the car.

Great job Mike! Tasteful mods.

So good to see a guy with your capital still enjoying the "small" things and getting some hands dirty for the good old car passion

Very nice Mini!

Like you I'm not into modding, at least not on the outside...

Love what you have done actually, car looks great although the only thing I wasnt so keen on are the clear lights you added at the back, always looks a bit ricer to me!!!! Sorry!

After reading your thread I'm tempted to buy one of these myself as a little run around...

Any idea of what kind of power your going to be left with after all the upgrades?

Quote:
    LB said:
    Good luck Mike with the build. There is always a greater sense of satisfaction doing a job oneself.

Looking forward to the LP640 biography.

Definitely LB, I'm really enjoying this, frustrating and difficult, but very rewarding!

Haha, I think the LP640 bio would be insane

@emmanuel: thanks man, good luck with your acquisition!

@atzporsche: I feel like a "grease monkey", but it's a lot of fun actually, especially when it is something sentimental!

Quote:
    RichJ said:

Love what you have done actually, car looks great although the only thing I wasnt so keen on are the clear lights you added at the back, always looks a bit ricer to me!!!! Sorry!

After reading your thread I'm tempted to buy one of these myself as a little run around...

Any idea of what kind of power your going to be left with after all the upgrades?

Thanks, funny enough those weren't the lights I ordered. These were the ones I wanted, but when they arrived the part salesman must have misunderstood. He then told me the ones I was looking far are no longer available. So I just took these and they grew on me. Doesn't bother me anymore. Plus mine is the only I've seen with these lights so far

I will be looking at making around 260hp+- to the wheels.

New scoop has been installed with the 3M anti stone chip film applied. This is what it looks like, it's a love it or hate it scenario, but I'm doing this more for function than form. I ordered a larger intercooler so it just made more sense to have this to help with more airflow.

The intercooler I have received and I will snap some pics of it when it goes on (after the new head etc. has already gone on).

Here is the boost gauge in the car.

And the strut bar/brace on.

I had to trim the liner a bit as it was too thick and the hood wouldn't close that great. Now it's perfect!

More pics to come soon!

World fastest letterbox!
    Love the hoodscoop!
    How does the car cope? Not too much power for a frontwheel driven car?

I think I'm pushing it to it's limits, but I decided to change the suspension yesterday as well to cope with the added power.

Pics of the intercooler. I have to wait for my new head, header, camshaft and quaife LSD to arrive before this will go on. Those items should be here sometime today.

Well done "mike the builder". Fully agree we could use some more build threads. As stated before the LP640 bio should be easy after this...

Keep the updates coming...

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    RichJ said:

Thanks, funny enough those weren't the lights I ordered. These were the ones I wanted, but when they arrived the part salesman must have misunderstood. He then told me the ones I was looking far are no longer available. So I just took these and they grew on me. Doesn't bother me anymore. Plus mine is the only I've seen with these lights so far

260hp! Ha ha, that should be a lot of fun Mike! Torque steer anyone!!!

Looking great, good luck with it Mike

Quote:
    RichJ said:
    Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    RichJ said:

I just had my car redyno'd today. I'm much happier. I'm doing 168hp and 224nm to the wheels. I will post dyno sheet in a bit. For now I am going to take pics of ALL the remaining parts that arrive today. Boy I feel like a boy on Christmas Eve

Quote:
    RichJ said:
    Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    RichJ said:

The other parts!

New cyclinder head

Exhaust header

New injectors!

Cam

All the other stuff!

this is all pretty heavy stuf mike. you might have one of the most completely loaded minis out there congtrats on the work done so far, keep us on the loop.

What a cool thread - Mike, your car could easily star in the next Italian Job movie

Mike...I hate sounding negative and I'm sure the car will be great fun to drive, but can't help feeling you've seriously compromised the natural external lines..

Maybe I just don't like that shade of blue..prefer Electric.

Much admire your application however..

Quote:
    John H said:
    Mike...I hate sounding negative and I'm sure the car will be great fun to drive, but can't help feeling you've seriously compromised the natural external lines..

I had electric blue, which was cool when I first ordered it, but after 3 months I wished I had ordered a more subtle colour. Mike, your blue is cool, very similar colour to my new toy. (sorry for the lousy quality pic, taken from my iPhone)

Quote:
    John H said:

Hi John,

No offense taken what so ever, everybody is entitled to their opinions. I like this colour the most out of all the colours. It goes with the blue leather also!

They discontinued this colour in 2004-5 I think - so it's more rare too!

Get the other stuff fitted asap, never mind family life, the wife, just do it and hurry up. Love threads like this.

Quote:
    ResB said:
    Get the other stuff fitted asap, never mind family life, the wife, just do it and hurry up. Love threads like this.

Haha, I feel the same! Car is booked to go in on Monday, I can't wait!! Too bad people aren't working to work on weekends

Forgot to mention, I didn't feel comfortable with the dyno figures from the first dyno. So I went to another and the results were much much better, at least now I know my car isn't broken They had another car there for me to compare with so I know my car is spot on.

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    ResB said:

Haha, I feel the same! Car is booked to go in on Monday, I can't wait!! Too bad people aren't working to work on weekends

Ace. Something to look forward to.

Nice job Mike! What are you hoping for in terms of HP? 200 at the wheels would be insane in that car. I drove a works 'S' once and it was a blast so yours must be even better. Thanks for posting; lots of fun to follow along.

Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    Nice job Mike! What are you hoping for in terms of HP? 200 at the wheels would be insane in that car. I drove a works 'S' once and it was a blast so yours must be even better. Thanks for posting; lots of fun to follow along.

Anywhere from 240-270HP to the wheels, should be fun

Quote:
    Mike S said:

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:

All that to the front wheel? Hmm should be fun indeed! But will also be a handful! I now have 328hp at the wheel on my 135i (from 240hp atw when I started the project), and with my Drexler LSD and shorter final ratio, it creates some long slides when I am up for it. Maybe I should start my own thread on my 135i too.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781424 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442704 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263420 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261772 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85890 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5948 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881535 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819263 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM