Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Don't Want No Stinking Unnecessary Exhaust Sound

Driving on well-known roads yesterday. No traffic. Nice day. I figured pedal-to-metal when conditions are right.

"Conditions are right" means:

1. no oncoming traffic (could be cops)

2. straight roads only

3. no high-speed drivebys of residences or driveways.

RESULT:

Lots of QUICK accelerations and braking. Engine was getting an upshift, downshift, wild-throttle workout (yeah baby! yeah!).

Made me wonder (yet again) why anybody would want this car to be _louder_?!?!?!

Driving like a "maniac" (according to Porsche-hating witnesses) on otherwise quiet rural roadways would only be MORE observable if the TT exhaust were louder.

So..., I am extremely thankful that this car is "quiet."

I guess I'm a 40-something mature guy who no longer needs the "vroom vroom" sound effects that add nothing to performance except the illusion that you're driving like a nut case.

Would be NICE to have that extra sensation, no doubt about it! But do you guys who complain about the TT's "lack of exhaust note" really think it thru?

Just wondering..., not trying to criticize anybody for their "want-it-louder" or "enhanced exhaust note" preferences.

Re: Don't Want No Stinking Unnecessary Exhaust Sound

I unerstand what you are saying, but the sound of a nicely tuned exhaust is a big part of the experience to me; even if it doesn't make the car any faster.

A switch between sport and a normal exhaust mode is always a good thing. Some days you just don't need the roar

Re: Don't Want No Stinking Unnecessary Exhaust Sou

I added an aftermarked exhaust to my focus and eventhough its claimed to increase HP by 10 i don't really feel the difference. Needless to say, i've come to get my MPG up to 38 on average because i shift really early (the noise haha)

I drove the TT once and in sport mode it sounded just fine!

i agree......sound is nice but i think it's not suitable to a daily driver. my friend's scud is so loud it gets really annoying. some people assocíate sound with power....what do they know....

i like the turbo the way it is. label on the inside....

Quote:
    MMD said:
    the "vroom vroom" sound effects that add nothing to performance

Earth to MMD and anyone with question about power gain, please see enclosed curve. Where have you been this century? (Kidding... kidding...) Second, if you are modding ECU, you don't have a choice. Third, sound, as you already mentioned it's a matter of taste, if you like stock sound, great, nice, be my guest, but probably never a nice OR good idea to question if another Porsche compulsive owner has "thought it through" LOL.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

Earth to MMD and anyone with question about power gain, please see enclosed curve. Where have you been this century? (Kidding... kidding...)

I'm probably out of date. Not sure where I've been.

Glad we can discuss this!

Last I heard PSE was simply a sound effect.

OTOH, major mods like longer headers increases torque. Shortening them increases hp(?) I forget... .

LOL: "Thought it thru" for average P-guy who might not want loud sound to wake up the neighborhood and have cell phoners calling cops on him. I dunno.

To me , the eeriest thing about a stock Turbo exhaust is when you tip the throttle in 3/4 way staying in top gear and the boost comes up . It shoves you back from 60-120 mph almost silently . I posted in the past that it's like riding in a mag-lev train pulling away from a station.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    I figured pedal-to-metal when conditions are right.

2. straight roads only

RESULT:

MMD - sorry dude but you have totally lost the plot now!

I use to have a Carrera S which after about 5000 miles I had PSE retrofitted. This totally TRANSFORMED the driving 'experience'! Before PSE, I had to rev the nuts off the car to get the good noises. This made me do very irresponsible speeds on public roads, just to get the feeling that I was actually in a sports car. After PSE I got that aural pleasure at much safer velocities and it more than doubled the driving experience for me.

Now on the Turbo it's very much the same thing. Sure there is no on/off button like on a Carrera. But then again, I hacked the vacuum switch to be open all the time anyway, so 'off' was never a factor in my C2S Cab. If I wanted quiet then I just feathered the throttle; easy!

A 911 Turbo is a supercar - not a Prius - why would you want a supercar that doesn't even sound like a 'sports' car?!

It's that line of thinking that provides the incentive to Porsche to make the Turbo even SOFTER - something that is sacrilege to most guys on this forum!

I like my straights pipes *WHOOOOOOOSH* - "whistles* - *Roars*..

Hahaha. You guys are great. Thanks for not flaming me into a burnt ember.

I like the excitement of exhaust note too.

When I hear a CGT revving, accelerating, I worry about having a change of clothes nearby.

I guess my problem is I passed some douche bag(s?) (sorry, can't think of better word) and they cell-phoned the cops to report "the Porsche." By my baaaad luck state police managed to find and stop me to make sure I wasn't "drunk or something."

Can't help thinking they'll do that again (same roads) so I'm..., yeah..., sorry..., "paranoid," about how loud this car sounds. IOW, to brain-dead drivers, "loud" means "wreckless dangerous ah must be behind the wheel."

MMD, I knew you were just trying to "stimulate thoughts" ; no harm done. But really, it doesn't surprise me that you, or anyone, prefer the quiet stock exhaust.

That said, what Alex wrote about this being a supercar was what I was thinking but didn't write in my first response. Although there is no right or wrong, my argument would be that nearly all sports cars in the Turbo's "class" are louder and more aggressive sounding, implying that the stock Turbo's exhaust note is coming close to being outside of the bell curve. In other words, wrong.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Hahaha. You guys are great. Thanks for not flaming me into a burnt ember.

I like the excitement of exhaust note too.

When I hear a CGT revving, accelerating, I worry about having a change of clothes nearby.

I guess my problem is I passed some douche bag(s?) (sorry, can't think of better word) and they cell-phoned the cops to report "the Porsche." By my baaaad luck state police managed to find and stop me to make sure I wasn't "drunk or something."

Can't help thinking they'll do that again (same roads) so I'm..., yeah..., sorry..., "paranoid," about how loud this car sounds. IOW, to brain-dead drivers, "loud" means "wreckless dangerous ah must be behind the wheel."

Quote:
    cannga said:
    my argument would be that nearly all sports cars in the Turbo's "class" are louder and more aggressive sounding, implying that the stock Turbo's exhaust note is coming close to being outside of the bell curve. In other words, wrong.

This is very funny because I _agree_.

I watch those YouTube videos of dozens of fancy cars leaving a parking lot rally one after another with hot-throttled enthusiasm and then our stock TT sounds pretty..., uninspiring. The others seem make your blood pressure spike.

So, very true what you guys say. However I'm glad the fluke of this supercar's insouciant exhaust is working to my sickening real world advantage.

Being a race driver, I appreciate a car that does what it has to do without the typical aural drama which really makes me up shift earlier if only for not punishing my ears any further.

I once had PSE on a 996 C4S and if I wanted to nail it, I went on silent mode since too much noise made me feel like a sociopath since I wasn't at a race-track.

Loud noises are nice to hear occasionally, but imho a pin to coexist with them in a daily basis.

I'd go for a prettier sound if it weren't a louder one.

My 2 cents.

JM

Quote:
    JotaEmE said:

Loud noises are nice to hear occasionally, but imho a pin to coexist with them in a daily basis.

Yes. Your post reminds me. My stock 997S exhaust had a constant low-level humming buzzing _drone_ when cruising at around 3k or so. I found it very annoying and sometimes it used to drive me crazy!

This issue reminds me of the feeling I get when listening to music I love. Different I know but still. & different strokes for different folks but for me I just dont get the same 'level' of enjoyment when listening to a song I love when it's on volume level 1 versus level 6,7,8 etc. It doesnt have to be straight pipes but when it's louder it feels more..........alive? It just makes you feel different than if it were hardly noticeable. You feel more connected to the music & also to the car when it's louder, more noticebale. The Turbo doesnt have the greatest sound in the first place but when it's louder you can definitely appreciate the sound a whole lot more, there are sounds you dont hear at all when using the stock exhaust. W/ a good after-maret exhaust the whole driving experience just gets much more visceral, it makes the car come alive.

Don't forget, the better aftermarket systems reduce backpressure and EGTs, which the real reason I went with such a set-up. The throatier sound is more appealing to me and the system I have is not really that much "louder". But the sound is secondary.

Imagine, if your TT were somehow entirely electric, and performed the same but sounded like an electric wheelchair, would it be the same experience driving it? Who knows. Maybe someday this is what we will have to look forward to anyway.

Quote:
    KJB said:

Imagine, if your TT were somehow entirely electric, and performed the same but sounded like an electric wheelchair, would it be the same experience driving it? Who knows. Maybe someday this is what we will have to look forward to anyway.

I like this idea (not too far off in future?) to show what p*ssies we all are about exhaust sound:

How about a digital sound effects generator going thru the Bose system. Coordinated with the gas pedal, clutch and brake action the car's stereo can be set to "Ferrari," "CGT," "F1," "Pratt and Whitney jet turbine," whatever.

Would guys buy it? It would finally expose this engineered exhaust note fashion monkey sound for what it is: same thing as quad tips, SC wart, 19s, other near-poseur BS.

Just a thought.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    KJB said:

I like this idea (not too far off in future?) to show what p*ssies we all are about exhaust sound:

How about a digital sound effects generator going thru the Bose system. Coordinated with the gas pedal, clutch and brake action the car's stereo can be set to "Ferrari," "CGT," "F1," "Pratt and Whitney jet turbine," whatever.

Would guys buy it? It would finally expose this engineered exhaust note fashion monkey sound for what it is: same thing as quad tips, SC wart, 19s, other near-poseur BS.

Just a thought.

Or just wear Bose noise cancellation earphones while driving, hearing nothing & you'll be in nirvana MMD. But then you'll still be as loud to everyone else & that's what you're really worried about right? - What everyone else thinks of how loud your car is. Make sure you conform right? After-all you're probably pushing the limit w/ the neighbors already w/ a Porsche eh? Imagine if it were RED! Oh my!

If you already had that opinion then why even ask as if you were sincerly interested in the 1st place? Waste of everyones time if you ask me.

Just curious MMD, have you ever owned a 911 w/ an after-market exhaust? How about even driven one? Honestly.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

Earth to MMD and anyone with question about power gain, please see enclosed curve. Where have you been this century? (Kidding... kidding...) Second, if you are modding ECU, you don't have a choice. Third, sound, as you already mentioned it's a matter of taste, if you like stock sound, great, nice, be my guest, but probably never a nice OR good idea to question if another Porsche compulsive owner has "thought it through" LOL.

Forget it Even w/ your education it's still "near-poseur BS"

Guess there's most of us here that are like gear heads that can appreciate the sound of high performance motors & became successful partly so that we can buy cars like this and then there's the guys that got successful and because the had some money bought cars like this as a result/after-thought.

No big deal. We're just blabbing. No big whoop.

I was originally commenting on PSE; all sizzle, no steak.

BTW, gearheads? Do I qualify? Here's list of some engines I personally rebuilt when I was a kid: 1961 TR3, 1964 TR4, 1970 TR6 transmission, 1968 Porsche 911T (had help with valve train), 1968 VW beetle (piece of cake).

Geez..., Stradale..., Buddy..., maybe try these.., take two; they're small:

Ha ha Gregg, I too thought MMD's post was a little "funny." But we all know MMD; he does not have a mean bone in his body. I think he's just out "yanking our chains" deliberately.

MMD, I think the problem is not that you like a quiet exhaust system, but that you like something AND question the taste of those who don't, in a topic that clearly has no wrong or right. No matter how strongly you feel, can't do that! But I know, you didn't mean any harm.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    cannga said:

Guess there's most of us here that are like gear heads that can appreciate the sound of high performance motors & became successful partly so that we can buy cars like this and then there's the guys that got successful and because the had some money bought cars like this as a result/after-thought.

Thanks Cannga. No, I don't mean to create any chain-yanking buzz. Just telling it like I see it. We should all meet someday (will never happen) and _I_know_ we'd all get along.

I genuinely was driving last week and had an episode of brain activity which made me aware that this TT exhaust suits _my_ limited purposes of avoiding harrassment by citizens and cops.

I thought it would make a good discussion here. Otherwise Rennteam might have been..., ahem..., "quieter."

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Ha ha Gregg, I too thought MMD's post was a little "funny." But we all know MMD; he does not have a mean bone in his body. I think he's just out "yanking our chains" deliberately.

MMD, I think the problem is not that you like a quiet exhaust system, but that you like something AND question the taste of those who don't, in a topic that clearly has no wrong or right. No matter how strongly you feel, can't do that! But I know, you didn't mean any harm.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    cannga said:

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    775729 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440894 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262342 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260531 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84947 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5448 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879936 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814888 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM