Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Singapore F1 Grand Prix

Now that's a big punishment! a still world champion has to help his team mate to become world champion? ... that's what I call focus driving

Quote:
    ezzie said:
    Yes on the replays it clearly showed a green light before Massa headed out of the box. Not his fault.

True, the Ferrari traffic light was in manual mode, so it was the lollipop man that made a human error and gave Massa the green light with the fuel hose still attached to the car.
    (he was too busy watching the traffic)

Ironically, Massa would not have recieved a green light when he did if the system had been in auto mode, because the fuel hose is one of the "triggers" to allow a green light.
    As you may have noticed, Ferrari went back to the traditional lollipop for the last stop.

http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=44119

I think it is sad that a human error in the team decides the outcome if this years championship and not the drivers.
    Just like last year when the McLaren team had a collective brainfade and kept Lewis out too long in China.

There's no way Massa will catch Lewis now unless they have another brainfade or mechanical failure

Here's a picture that sums up the Ferrari weekend:

HAHA!

Quote:
    Emperor said:

LOL! LOL! LOL!

This needs to get posted in the Ferrari forum

Hi Emperor,

Fantastic ! very sharp (I can use this to set the scene for team building !!!!)

Would you be able to make it downloadable in higher resolution????

Cheers,

Mark

Just back from Singapore and we have had a fantastic weekend. I would like to congratulate Singapore for a highly anticipated and phenominally successful event !! The pictures speak a 1000 words. Looking already forwards to next years race. Well done Singapore !!!!!!

Cheers,

Mark

Pic 2

Pic 3 (This was after the race with people being on the track to see the trophie giving)

Pic 4

Pic 5

Greetings from Singapore !!!

Ferrari's President Luca di Montezemolo has thrown his toys out of the pram:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7644042.stm

He's blaming the fact that it was a street race at night on a bumpy track for his team's woeful performance on Sunday. Maybe his team would do better if his pit lane crew did its job properly. He's in denial. All this talk of Ferrari trying to ensure both its drivers finish 1-2 ahead of Hamilton in all 3 remaining races is just wishful thinking.

Ferrari without Michael Schumacher, Jean Todt and Ross Brawn isn't the same. I don't like Stefano Domenicali or Luca Baldisseri. They seem disingenuous and untrustworthy to me.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    He's blaming the fact that it was a street race at night on a bumpy track for his team's woeful performance on Sunday. Maybe his team would do better if his pit lane crew did its job properly.

Was it less dark and less bumpy for the other teams than for Ferrari?

If I remember correctly, before the race Ferrari was revelling in the fact that its test track had been re-tarmacked with same same asphalt from sponsor Shell as had been used for the track surface in Singapore.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:He's blaming the fact that it was a street race at night on a bumpy track for his team's woeful performance on Sunday.

Easy rider, the only quotes by LdiM in the article are critical of street circuits for lack of over taking. And some quotes that seem like an attmept to rally the ferrari troops for the last 3 races. The rest is editorializing by the bbc writer from what I can read.

Ferrari did seem to shoot themselves in the foot in this race however. Not the first time this season. Kind of reminescent of McL last year.

The short answer: sour grapes We wouldn't have heard any criticism of Singapore if Ferrari hadn't screwed up.

The longer answer: I don't agree with the interpretation you have put forward. Luca di Montezemolo didn't just criticise street circuits for the lack of overtaking opportunities they present. (After all, F1 has been racing at street circuits like Melbourne and Monaco for many years and Ferrari has been all too happy to race there - especially if they win ). He in fact went much further by insulting the Singapore circuit as being suitable only for the "circus" saying it was humiliating for F1. How can he judge the circuit sitting in front of the TV in Modena or Maranello thousands of miles away?

IMO LdM is a xenophobic, elitist snob wholly out of touch with the real world where sports have no choice but to face up to the commercial realities of growing in new markets in order to survive and prosper. F1 is necessarily gravitating away from being primarily Europe focussed and is becoming more global - it has no choice but to go to where the money is. Soon, we may find more fly-away races in the F1 calendar happening outside Europe than those taking place in Europe. Soon, the UAE (Abu Dhabi) and India will be added to the F1 calendar.

Here's another article on this from the Guardian, a very respected British newspaper:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/feedarticle/7839472

And more:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/...s-13988647.html

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/01102008/58/ferrari-label-singapore-gp-humiliating.html

So IMO it really isn't tenable to say that the BBC is making this story into something it isn't.

Just my 2 cents

easy_rider stop with the BS ...
    you should spent more time speeking about things that you like and less time with things that you hate ... you even misquoted LCDM...maybe you should by a Ferrari

BS? Hey, you don't agree - that's fine with me but if you want to persuade people, why not come up with some facts? I don't see any hard facts in your post

Spend more time speaking about what I like and less on what I don't like? I actually do both - it's called free speech Surely we aren't here just to be fanboys only for whatever we like?

I "misquoted" LdM? No, he's been quoted by dozens of newspapers, webpages and other sources - I just referred to a few of them. I certainly "interpreted" his statements and based my opinion upon what he said. You disagree with my view - no problem - but my opinion will remain as it is unless you can come up with something that persuades me otherwise.

Buy a Ferrari? Why? Does one only get the right to express an opinion on Ferrari-related subjects only if one has bought a car made by LdM's company? How would owning a Ferrari affect what I wrote? Sorry, there's no logic there.

Hey - I have nothing personal against you or your opinion - we're just guys talking on the internet. You want to criticise me or my opinion - no problem, go ahead. I can take it. But c'mon, if you want me to think you're right, you're going to have to do a much better job of persuading me that you're right and that I'm mistaken or somehow deluded or perhaps smoking something

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    The short answer: sour grapes We wouldn't have heard any criticism of Singapore if Ferrari hadn't screwed up.

From the article you cited:
    "Montezemolo, appointed this month as the first chairman of the F1 Teams Association, said before the race that street circuits, with their lack of overtaking opportunities, were not the way forward for the sport."

I'm sure LCdM will not mind the AbuDhabi race -- is that a street course? -- given the close ties between F and the middle east. But he seems to have a genuine dislike of street circuits. Monaco is likely an exception due to the history (and proximity to LCdM's undoubtedtly palatial estate ).

I think all of F1 is elitist, not just LCdM. If you attned any MotoGP race and compare to F1 you will see the difference. MotoGP is so much more accessible for the average fan. And typically better racing without the need for contrived scenarios like knockout qualifying, safety cars to make the racing more "exciting", etc.

Perhaps the $$$ in F1 are somewhat greater than MotoGp, but the fans get more bang for the buck with the bike races IMO. Bernie E has stated in the past he wants the F1 show to be more like MotoGP.

I have been a Ferrari owner for 12 years, have met Luca, Jean Todt and MS at corporate events, been to the factory, and I agree 100% with easy. Luca is a very engaging and charismatic character but is also a sore loser. He often says such things after Ferrari lose a race or perform badly. It's no big thing, he has been doing it for years. At least he is predictable and we know how passionate he is about Ferrari winning. Give me a Luca over a Max Mosley any day of the week.

Quote:
    plz said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

From the article you cited:
    "Montezemolo, appointed this month as the first chairman of the F1 Teams Association, said before the race that street circuits, with their lack of overtaking opportunities, were not the way forward for the sport."

I'm sure LCdM will not mind the AbuDhabi race -- is that a street course? -- given the close ties between F and the middle east. But he seems to have a genuine dislike of street circuits. Monaco is likely an exception due to the history (and proximity to LCdM's undoubtedtly palatial estate ).

I think all of F1 is elitist, not just LCdM. If you attned any MotoGP race and compare to F1 you will see the difference. MotoGP is so much more accessible for the average fan. And typically better racing without the need for contrived scenarios like knockout qualifying, safety cars to make the racing more "exciting", etc.

Perhaps the $$$ in F1 are somewhat greater than MotoGp, but the fans get more bang for the buck with the bike races IMO. Bernie E has stated in the past he wants the F1 show to be more like MotoGP.

Street circuits are not good for F1 , for the sport i mean , you don't put the best cars on this planet , racing around a "go kart" track... but it seems that they are very good for mister eclestone's pockets...

If it was me i would put all city tracks out of F1

I like this quotation from Bernie Ecclestone: "If the Ferrari president is right about the Singapore Grand Prix being a circus, then we have to be grateful to him for providing the clowns. After the weekend Ferrari had, their president should have shut up and kept his head down."

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    I like this quotation from Bernie Ecclestone: "If the Ferrari president is right about the Singapore Grand Prix being a circus, then we have to be grateful to him for providing the clowns. After the weekend Ferrari had, their president should have shut up and kept his head down."

yes indeed!!! they looked like clowns!

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

At last!

I watched the video of LDiM's speech at the launch of the Ferrari California and the man's words and general behaviour were full of arrogance and pointed to a superiority complex.

At last, an arrogant madman like B.E. matched him in his own game

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    775917 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441008 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262381 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260567 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84972 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5450 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880038 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815010 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM