Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Track fun with the KTM X-Bow

Hi guys - took the opportunity to testdrive this new track weapon last Thursday and thought I'd share some driving impressions and pics.

The prologue: spend last Wednesday at NoS and had a great time meeting Cram and Gnil again and joining them for some very wet laps on the holy tarmac It was also nice to meet Dave who brought his very similar to mine 987S for the first time. I was astonished to meet the KTM guys at NoS testing the X-Bow. Great opportunity for a pax-lap which they offered - under one condition: only if the track would dry off....which never happened during a day of never ending rain Of course I tried to get some infos about the laptimes at NoS, but they didn't indicate anything (we're still testing etc...).

Next day I was off to the LuK Driving Center near Baden-Baden to drive the X-Bow myself.

It was a very well organized DE with sufficient seat time to gain an impression of the car and it's driving dynamics.

The very first impression: it's not a kit-car at all. The build quality appears to be excellent and all the main components are sourced from top quality suppliers

The driving experience
    In a nutshell: it feels like a streetlegal Formula racer.
    The only comparable driving experience I ever had was a couple of years ago in a F3 and F1 car....

No electronic nannies, no ABS - nothing disturbing the relationship between the car and the driver

Of course it has rained again during the morning but actually the wet tarmac helped a lot to understand the driving dynamics of the car Thanks god it dried off later, hence we still had some chance to burn some rubber.

It's a nice little ritual climbing into the carbon driving cell, adjusting the pedals (the seat is not adjustable) and to fix the 4-point harness. Once you fire up the engine the display reads: ready to race

A sensitive right foot is asked for to propell the thing off the line in the wet. The 240 hp Audi turbo engine has no probs with the 800 kg curb weight

In the wet the old rule "slow in - fast out" has to be strictly followed, otherwise turn in understeer followed by a "overtaking rear" will be the result. Though if driven correctly it's great fun in the wet as the car communicates extremely well and you can use the gaspedal as a second steering wheel

in the dry: jeez - the corner speed is just crazy and it's not really difficult to balance the car at the very limit indicated by singing rubber around the corner. Absolutely neutral fantastic handling.

The stopping power is also insane, but of course we are spoiled by the ABS, hence a bit of practice is necessary to get it right.

The suspension is not a teeth rattling torture device - very communicative and agreeable at the same time.

Of course KTM choose a relative conservative set up for us X-Bow newbies - I'm sure it will feel even sharper in race trim.

Talking about race trim: the hot laps with Catherina Felser (one of the pilots driving the X-Bow in the FIA-GT championship) were really awesome - perfect line, no wheel spin, no blocking wheels under hard braking - just very fast

Unfortunetaly weather conditions and the track layout did not allow to test the car at highspeed (max speed was 145ish) - would have loved to experience the 200kg downforce at 200 km/h.

Points of criticism: very few - instead of the tiny wind deflector a little bit larger "window" would be nice (which they actually use in the FIA-GT racecars). Also a natural aspirated engine might suit the package better (the turbo engine is powerful enough IMO and the power delivery is quite linear, but if you lift the right foot I would prefer a more spontaneous feeling).

Also the bright red upshift warning light is quite useful, as you don't hear that much engine sound (the typical turbo sound problem doesn't get better with all the head wind around your helmet).

This track toy is still working in my head for sure and I'm sure I'll add some more details/impressions after some good sleep/dreams

Meanwhile I hope you enjoy the pics my wife took during the event

First some pics of the X-Bow prior to the action on the track.
    Full carbon version:

Re: Track fun with the KTM X-Bow

rear view

cockpit

seats

display

eyes of the beast

wheel + Brembo stoppers

me completely embedded in Carbon

off with the instructor for the first drive

having fun

debriefing after the first information lap

Very nice pictures, the X-bow is growing on me. The 'ready to race' thing sounds a bit lame though. Thanks for the review!

drift fun

hot laps

some dirty Carbon after the action in the rain

one more...

the slotcar is the right version for the living room

Nice write up. Looks like you had a blast. What are the shock absorbers on the front end for?

A few reviews of the car have indicated that it just isn't quick enough, i.e. not enough power. Did you feel like this when you drove it, albeit the weather was less than ideal?

Nice write up tho.

Power is something that is very easily solved given they are using the Audi 2.0 turbo engine. Lots of after market kit for those!

Re: Track fun with the KTM X-Bow *DELETED*

Post deleted by Gnil

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    Thanks PJ for the cool pics and review.
    There where 3 X-bow during the Hanseat course. Two of them seemed to have been given to the instructors for 'promotion'. One ended up on the 'fence' after Brunnchen
    It was great meeting you again at the Ring
    This time I came back with an 'R'
    See you next time

WOW!
    Achim - it looks like you had tons of fun!

Is that the same track where we took the Porsche precision training ?

Quote:
    Gnil said:

Félicitations! How many points?

Quote:
    pierre said:
    Quote:
    Gnil said:

Félicitations! How many points?

Still far too many
    I have done now about 40 full laps all together .... and I got 85 points....Will need to do much more laps.... Cyril,the best of our group did 52..

@ Emperor: they are adjustable shock absorbers in pushrod design.

@ ResB: well, hard to say how fast the car is without having objective data. I know that some car mags didn't manage to imitate the factory claimed 0-100 time (3.9 sec),
    but that may be a matter of practice (without any electronic aids it's not like a PDK with launch control ). For a Boxster driver the thrust is quite nice Kidding aside - we had two 996 TT drivers in our group and their subjective feeling was that the straightline performance is comparable to their cars. Of course a powerful "normal" sportscar will have the edge at real highspeed due to the aerodynamics. The X-Bow is not meant to be an Autobahn bomber
    Regarding track performance I looked up some laptimes, comparing the X-Bow with the 996 GT3 Cup cars (which dominate the Porsche Sports Cup).
    Spa-Francorchamps: 2:44 (X-Bow) vs. 2:42 (996 Cup)
    Oschersleben: 1:40.5 (X-Bow) vs. 1:42.6 (996 Cup)
    AFAIK the X-Bow laptimes have been achieved with a 80kg "penalty", "conservative" set-up and no slicks (due to FIA-GT regulations).

@ Discover: yes, the same track though they chose another layout, hence a realistic comparison with the P-cars wasn't possible I know that Patrick Simon did a comparo on this track (997 GT3 RS vs. AUDI R8 vs. X-Bow) a couple of weeks ago - will be interesting to watch on TV later.
    In the Autobild Sportscar handling test (Kreso has posted a separate thread about it) the X-Bow came second on the Michelin test track (very close to the 1st - Gallardo LP).
    But like always: tests in car mags are one thing, driving the car for yourself is another thing (especially with such a special car not really comparable to a normal sportscar)

@ Gnil: many congrats on earning the R badge Cram 1 : Gnil 1 It was great to meet you and your bro again.
    It was quite funny that we met on the track at Klostertal by chance

Did you have a chance to get an impression how the X-Bows performed ?

Sounds like an entertaining week for you, PJ! Your thoughts about the X-bow are pretty similiar to Chris Harris'.

Thanks for the link, Ferdie Sounds like a fair review to me - would I've read the review before I could have saved my own write up

BTW the tracktest with Patrick Simon will be broadcasted tonight (20:15 at DSF)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    803074 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448510 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266038 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90025 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6509 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885586 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833063 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM