Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Tiptronic S or 6 speed ?

The new Tiptroic S sounds good from what I heared , since I'm going to use it daily in the city. but , the difference is 5sec!!
    6speed= 4.8 s / Tiptronic= 5.3 s
    did any one try the Tiptronic ? how was it ? and does 5 s makes alot of difference?

Re: Tiptronic S or 6 speed ?

It is not 5s it is 0.5s. If you feel the need to consider it... you may ask yourself if it could provide you better practical performance than you may be able to extract from a manual, especially in the city.

If its a daily driver then you should lean more towards the tiptronic - yea its .5 seconds "slower" but thats still reasonably faster than most cars out there. Do you really need to use the whole .5 seconds for something major?

Quote:
    996AD said:
    The new Tiptroic S sounds good from what I heared , since I'm going to use it daily in the city. but , the difference is 5sec!!
    6speed= 4.8 s / Tiptronic= 5.3 s
    did any one try the Tiptronic ? how was it ? and does 5 s makes alot of difference?

from my experience(i had a 996tt tiptronic),it alldepend on your driving style,if you are used to a sporty driving ,dont go for tiptronic,on stop and go it used to annoy me..i would advice you to try one before buying.and dont forget its 5 speed instead of 6,meaning longer gears..

Depends on how long you will keep the car. It is quite obvious to me that this 5-speed tiptronic won't be Porsche's solution for the entire model life-circle. If it would, I'd be dissapointed!

Please bear in mind that launching a car with automatic is much easier and less stressful on the transmission than dropping the clutch at 4k RPM, as it has to be done to achieve numbers like in magazine tests and manufacturer's claims.

The Automatic, from what I've heard, will lack the spontaneous reaction to a certain extend compared to the manual. You should definately testdrive both before making the choice!

Greetings!

I would agree with the above post. Porsche will be introducing the new DSG gearbox within the next couple of years (Car magazine says not before 2007) but I can tell you it will be worth it when it arrives. I have this gearbox on my Audi TT and it is fantastic. Changes are instantaneous, even on high speed corners you maintain complete control. The current problem is torque handling - I don't believe the existing software can handle more than what my TT 3.2 will push out, but they are looking to resolve that. I should add that in normal drive mode, it's better than any automatic tranny I have driven.

I would suggest that the Tiptronic would depreciate heavily once the new DSG is released. IMO and all that.

Some things to consider are:

1. Is it a daily driver or fun weekend car?
    2. Lots of congested freeways or wide open spaces (most people prefer AT for stop and go traffic)?
    3. Not an issue for most, but cities like Seattle and San Francisco are built on steep hills, which makes starting from a stop stressful!

I hadn't thought about this before, but in the stupid but common game of "Stop Light Drag Racing", where both cars are waiting at idle, and both drivers want to accelerate quickly, but not to damage their cars, then the 0 - 60 time of the AT could very well be faster?

Living in London, I'm going for Tiptronic matched to Sport Chrono for a more instantanious response. Granted, a DSG box is better, but who wants to put off the purchase of a car until 2007 simply for the sake of resale. At the end of the day, you might even sell the car before the release of DSG. Enjoy your car, be it T or M. Have a taste of the incredible car that it is and worry about losing a couple of grand later. After-all, you can afford one in the first place..

Quote:
    Basalt said:
    ... Have a taste of the incredible car that it is and worry about losing a couple of grand later. After-all, you can afford one in the first place..

I was not considering the resale value as the main reason but if you will keep the car for more than three or four years you might want to know about the transmission-issue. Otherwise you might be dissapointed to reveal that the DSG is due for the car in the "near" future. Besides that the car seems to be more appropriate with the manual - if you should get the Tiptronic you should definately get the SportChrono package because it should help a lot here!
    Anyways a great car and worth the buy in both versions!

Greetings!

dhayek... Im using tiptronic too.. and it's annoying me , but i thought that maybe the new tiptronic is better . but here were i live most cars are over 300hp and on any light you stop there will be some one to race you.... most cars here are E55 kompressor modified by MKB

So where do you live, if I may ask? I could imagine that the manual has a significant advantage at higher speeds also!

Unless you only have 1 leg, get the 5 speed. For real sports cars.

Leave the wood trim and slush boxes to Mercedes.

Quote:
    leveraged said:
    Unless you only have 1 leg, get the 5 speed. For real sports cars.

Leave the wood trim and slush boxes to Mercedes.

5 speed????!!!! So you are favouring the Tip.

Don't be a WUSS get the 6 speed ?

COME on people? How can you drive a 911 Automatic????

Re: Don't be a WUSS get the 6 speed ?

Quote:
    John SF 2005 997 S said:

I learned stick, and have always driven stick. My 11 is manual. I have no problem driving stick. Having said that... stick is ox and cart technology. MichaelS does not drive stick. TipS is not perfect but it is pretty good. Future DSG may be the ticket.

There's a lot of primal macho attitude in claiming that stick is the way to go. Not a rational position in my view - and I've always driven stick - and well.

Get the manual because:

you can probably just throw it into third and forget about it.

IOW, the torque such that third will suffice as long as the car is rolling at some very minimal speed.

Something I heard. Would appreciate expert opinion on this though.

You don;t have to shift the car as much as you might think.

That self adjusting clutch is also lends itself to the whole "pro manual" argument.

Re: Get the manual because:

I wasn't suggesting waiting until 2007 to get the DSG. Just the point that if you keep the car for 2-3 years, be prepared for the depreciation hit should the DSG have come out by then.

Sod the macho manual talk - you guys wait until you try DSG, it is the gearbox of the future.

Quote:
    996AD said:
    dhayek... Im using tiptronic too.. and it's annoying me , but i thought that maybe the new tiptronic is better . but here were i live most cars are over 300hp and on any light you stop there will be some one to race you.... most cars here are E55 kompressor modified by MKB

now that i sold my 996tt tip.,i can really admit it..i haited it,this doesnt mean its no good,but definitly not for me...when i bought it i tought that the 420hp would compensate on the tiptronic,it didnt ,the gears are waaaayy too long,i tested a manual tt ,and then i realized how big of a mistake it was to get tiptronic..its like driving another car.the new tiptronic is better ,at least it doesnt shift to upper gear when you remove your feet from gas pedal,and you can hear the cutoff if you feel like.but still not for me...

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    So where do you live, if I may ask? I could imagine that the manual has a significant advantage at higher speeds also!

I live in Meddle East Ferdie.. and the E55s here most of them 650hp they are scary man I've seen them burning wheels on 60mph
    any way.. I decided 6speed and 20" sport suspention ..

Re: Don't be a WUSS get the 6 speed ?

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    John SF 2005 997 S said:

I have thought long and hard about this. At the moment I have an Auto X5 and a manual Z4 which gives me the perfect combination, except that having 2 cars is costing me a fortune and I don't get what I really want out of either.

I've decided to swap both for a new 997S which I should have in January. I live in central London, probably one of the most congested places in the world, but I do use my car for long road trips and I love driving a manual car.

So what to do? Put up with the annoyance of a manual in London traffic for my daily grind to the office for those seminal moments at the weekend or have the luxury and ease of an auto everyday and live with the fact that on my runs into the country I'll only get 9/10 of the real porsche experience?

Now I like to think of myself as a reasonably good manual driver. Didn't touch an auto 'box for the 1st 10 years of my driving life. But the other day the benefits of autos (esp the porsche tiptronic) was bought home to me when in real world conditions i was "racing" a friend in a boxster tip vs my Z4 3.0 manual. On paper the Box is about half a second down on 0-60 times but in the real world the tiptronic 'box is very flattering as you can really access that performance without dumping the clutch from 4000 revs.

Now I know its not all about the traffic light Grand Prix but my point is that on an average road, and average driver will get better performance from an auto than a manual and like playing Grand Tourismo in auto mode, this allows you to concentrate on all the other aspects of driving (steering, braking etc) and get those far better without having to swap cogs.

What am I going for? 997S tiptronic - after that probably swap for the DSG when it comes out.

I have this problem with my Tiptronic I don't know if it is normal or not .. when it is shifting on lower speed you can feel the gear hit very hard and the service manager at the dealer says it's normal! even though it's not comfortalbe

I think 6speed is more enjoyable

Ones who have driven stick most of their lives, would not even ponder on this question, but if you are debating about it, then most likely you have had not much experience driving stick, and considering the fact that you are buying such an expensive car, and obviously you want to enjoy your car and not worry about burning the clutch, you would be better off with automatic.
    I live in Toronto, and sometimes our highways become very congested and sometimes to worsen the problem, we also get lots of snow, but that has never made feel uncomfortable driving stick; and if I ever decided to go with auto, then it will be the day when the machine beats me in changing gears.

Quote:
    997C2S said:
    Ones who have driven stick most of their lives, would not even ponder on this question, but if you are debating about it, then most likely you have had not much experience driving stick, and considering the fact that you are buying such an expensive car, and obviously you want to enjoy your car and not worry about burning the clutch, you would be better off with automatic.
    I live in Toronto, and sometimes our highways become very congested and sometimes to worsen the problem, we also get lots of snow, but that has never made feel uncomfortable driving stick; and if I ever decided to go with auto, then it will be the day when the machine beats me in changing gears.

What a complete bigot you are! You obviously have no idea that in the UK unlike North America manual (or stick as you quaintly call it) is the norm not the exception and having visted Toronto I can tell you, snow not withstanding, you have NO idea what the traffic is like in our little island!!!

I have had manual cars from my very first mini (old style 1982) through an '02 996 Targa and all levels in between and if you bothered reading this thread you'd know that I presently have a Z4 3.0i manual, which I think i can drive pretty well not least because I held a Motor Sports Association Clubman licence for a number of years!

If "stick" is the only way as you say it, then why have formula 1 cars, probably the pinnacle of automotive development in the world today, been using clutchless gearboxes for over a decade??

Granted, tiptronic is no longer at the cutting edge of gearbox technology, but its a long way ahead of manual gearchanging.

Anyhow horses for courses as they say - manual gearchanging is great but not for what I want my car for. Just cut the macho b*llsh*t about "oh well if you buy a tip you must be a cr*p driver".

My spleen is vented!

My response to this question is this. First, I have driven manuel cars for a long time (like Senator) and sports cars as well. Your question is a valid one. I have had the pleasure of driving both a Tip and Manuel in Porsches. I agree with several people here Porsche's automatic is much better than anyone else that puts one in sports cars and regular cars.
    Senator has a valid point if your drive to work is in an enviroment like London's traffic then it would be better to drive the Tip. My add to this is that I personally love to drive a manuel sports cars. I have owned a 360 F1 and manuel as well as a Tip Porsche and Manuel Porsches. I have always loved the way it feels to drive a sports car. I have not enjoyed either the Tip transmission and the F1 transmission. And I have been against automatics in sports cars. Having said that I have one exception, the M3 SMG. That tranmission is terrific. It makes me reconsider a manuel for a transmission like the SMG. So much so I chose to buy the M3 with SMG versus a Manuel.
    Now as stated here Porsche is developing their version of BMW's SMG. I agree with Senator. When that is available on a 911 it will be brillant. It will make driving a Porsche truly an every day car. But as several people have said why wait until 2007. I am not waiting. My choice is 6 speed manuel. Also, I believe Porsche will have it on the 997 by 2006. It will be earlier than everyone thinks. There is no doubt a Tip Porsche is different enough compared to a 6 speed. Again I have had the pleasure of driving both. Currently the only automatic I like is BMW's SMG. Ferrari's is terrible.
    Anyway my advice is drive both. Make sure you drive both on a good mix of roads both wide open twisties and highways. You want to make sure you have a chance to feel what it is like to drive both in all the enviroments you will face. Best of luck.

I'd love to drive stick, but there seems to be a knee to gearshift ratio problem due to the fact that I love long legs(tall). Therefore I stick to an autobox out of convience.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760167 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434100 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259872 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257018 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80667 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5309 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870973 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806100 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM