Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Red taillights on Guards Red Boxster S

When ordering my Boxster, I had the option of ordering my car with all red taillights for $550.00, as equiped on the Boxster RS 60 and the newly introduced Design Edition 2; however, I was not sure how all red taillights would look on a Guards Red Boxster. Well, I found the lights on sale for $399 at my Porsche dealership and thought I would give it a try. Personally I like them, as it matches the red brake calipers, etc. Not only was it cheaper to order it this way, I now have 2 sets of taillights and it takes less than 10 minutes to install both lights with -0- modifications necessary. What do you think?
    vincesf

Re: Red taillights on Guards Red Boxster S

Here's another shot from the rear angle.
    vincesf

Devilish!

i did not like them t first but i think they are a nice little mod. they look great on the red @ss end imo!

Cool. You did well.

really nice looking! good job on keeping an origional set! i always make sure i have the OEM set..

Looks very good

Looks great..I am thinking of intalling on my 987S

The Red lights a GREAT! With these the Boxster no longer looks "Push me Pull you"...

@ vincesf your red tail lights look great and blend in well with guards red.

I'm tempted to fit them on mine but in the last year having retrofitted sports exhaust, Cayman chromed exhaust tips, aluminium / leather gearlever + handbrake and short - shifter I guess I've got to stop somewhere

Hi,
    Looks great!
    Brgds
    Thomas R

Thanks for the posts, and I appreciate the feedback. The Boxster seems to be one of those cars that goes just under the radar, and only the true Porscheholics would ever notice the subtle changes.
    vincesf

I think that the 986 has a tendency to fall under the radar, as there still seem to be a fair number of them here n' there in the bay area. With exception of a "550 50th Anniversary Boxster S" I saw along the coast (also had all-red taillights, coincidentally), most are looking their age by now.

The 987 turns my head whenever I see one run down the highway. To me, it looks wider (especially with 19's) and is more muscular than its predecessor. Next to the 997 cab, the 987 is better proportioned and -overall -prettier; that said, I do think that the 997 (v.1) has one very sexy and voluptuous rear!

Anyway, the taillights are a nice change -not necessarily better or worse, but perhaps more unique. You're probably right though; besides Porschephiles and car nuts, nobody else will consciously notice the difference.

...How's the short shifter treating you, BTW? I have the standard one; occasionally, the shift from 2nd to 3rd does seem somewhat lengthy when briskly rowing through the transmission.

Quote:
    awai08 said:

...How's the short shifter treating you, BTW? I have the standard one; occasionally, the shift from 2nd to 3rd does seem somewhat lengthy when briskly rowing through the transmission.

I had the standard shifter in my '06 Boxster S, and the factory short shift in the '08. I prefer the shorter travel on the '08, and have not yet noticed any downside, such as overly stiff, balkiness, etc. I must say after coming from an '06 Lotus Elise, the linkage on both the '06 and '08 Boxster is far superior. Further, the S2000 is considered by many to have the best shifter, both in direct short action and in feel; however, again I prefer either the standard or short-shifter Boxster transmissions over my '03 and '07 S2000. As for PDK, yes it may be faster by .2 seconds to 60 mph, and much easier in traffic, but to me there is nothing better than the total involvement with a manual shift. I may change my tune in 20 years, or after my first knee surgery, but for now I shall enjoy shifting.

Lastly, you have an open invitation to give the short-shifter a try.
    vincesf

Quote:
    vincesf said:
    Lastly, you have an open invitation to give the short-shifter a try.
    vincesf

...Thanks! We should compare notes in the near future.

Thanks for the posts and your insight.......when I was specifying my options back in December I was not so sure about the red taillights.
    I think that and the short shifter will go on my Tequipment shopping list for early next year.

Quote:
    YorkshireExpat said:
    Thanks for the posts and your insight.......when I was specifying my options back in December I was not so sure about the red taillights.
    I think that and the short shifter will go on my Tequipment shopping list for early next year.

I believe you will be happy that you included these options.
    vincesf

Quick question: Does anyone make red side markers? I know there are white/cream side markers available to replace the orange reflectors, but does anyone make red?
    vincesf

Quote:
    YorkshireExpat said:

Thoroughly recommend retrofitting the short shift - unlike most tequipment options it is not significantly more expensive than factory fitted (here in the UK Pounds380 v. Pounds420). Having had the standard shift I can assure you that the short shift is a very real improvement in terms of precision over the standard shift. You'll not regret it!

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    YorkshireExpat said:

Thoroughly recommend retrofitting the short shift - unlike most tequipment options it is not significantly more expensive than factory fitted (here in the UK Pounds380 v. Pounds420). Having had the standard shift I can assure you that the short shift is a very real improvement in terms of precision over the standard shift. You'll not regret it!

+1
    vincesf

Hi VinceSF, except as rear side markers, I haven't seen red as a front indicator color on any car. In most cases, red is used as the color for "stop;" If used in any other setting, some drivers who already are challenged by the simple act of driving between two dotted lines may then be completely overwhelmed.

If you really wanted, then I suppose you could take some clear markers and have them coated candy red with an orange bulb inside. Though, I wonder if bored patrol cars may use them as an excuse to pull you over and cite you with a fix it ticket. The cost of the ticket probably wouldn't be an issue, but the time spent on the curbside and at the civic center could get annoying. ...Better to see cops fighting crime or eating a donut than in your rearview mirror!

A mild smoke tint may look nice on your Boxster. Anybody sell that shade of indicator cover??

Quote:
    awai08 said:
    Hi VinceSF, except as rear side markers, I haven't seen red as a front indicator color on any car. In most cases, red is used as the color for "stop;" If used in any other setting, some drivers who already are challenged by the simple act of driving between two dotted lines may then be completely overwhelmed.

If you really wanted, then I suppose you could take some clear markers and have them coated candy red with an orange bulb inside. Though, I wonder if bored patrol cars may use them as an excuse to pull you over and cite you with a fix it ticket. The cost of the ticket probably wouldn't be an issue, but the time spent on the curbside and at the civic center could get annoying. ...Better to see cops fighting crime or eating a donut than in your rearview mirror!

A mild smoke tint may look nice on your Boxster. Anybody sell that shade of indicator cover??

I live in a community where the police want any excuse to pull over a red Porsche (no front license plate, not wearing seatbelts, talking on the cell phone...) and would not want to be pulled over for an illegal sidemarker. Point well taken.
    vincesf

Vince just as an FYI if you were pulled over for a problem for a side marker it would only be a fix-it ticket. Just keep the original side markers, pop those back in and go get the ticket signed off. If your in the City you could go by any district station and get that done. More significantly, if you are in the City I can assure you the cops there do not care the least what color your side markers are.

Quote:
    Paralizer said:
    Vince just as an FYI if you were pulled over for a problem for a side marker it would only be a fix-it ticket. Just keep the original side markers, pop those back in and go get the ticket signed off. If your in the City you could go by any district station and get that done. More significantly, if you are in the City I can assure you the cops there do not care the least what color your side markers are.

True, San Francisco would care less about sidemarkers, but the police are routinely pulling people over for no front license plates, especially on the 9th Street corridor in the a.m.
    vincesf

Hmm, interesting haven't heard about this and I work with the SF cops daily in my job. Let me do some digging and see what I can find out about this. Easy temporary fix is use 7th, moves much better then 9th anyway.

Quote:
    Paralizer said:
    Hmm, interesting haven't heard about this and I work with the SF cops daily in my job. Let me do some digging and see what I can find out about this. Easy temporary fix is use 7th, moves much better then 9th anyway.

Not a problem, as my Boxster is a weekend driver and I already installed my front plate.
    Thanks,
    vincesf

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779005 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442198 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263078 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261357 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85591 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5786 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881057 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817353 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM