Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Upcoming Lamborghini models...

... Auto Bild reports about the upcoming models:

http://www.autobild.de/aktuell/neuheiten/artikel.php?artikel_id=6866&artikel_seite=0

Sorry, just in German. Short summary:

-an SUV, code LM00X, is planned to be equipped with aluminium chassis and a much more radical character than the P Cayenne, current V10 or V12

- Murcielago successor much more radical, closer to the Ferrari Enzo and equipped with a new carbonfibre chassis

- Frontengined GT planned, maybe based on the next Audi A8-chassis (same as Bugatti and Bentley)

Greetings!

Re: Upcoming Lamborghini models...

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    -an SUV, code LM00X, is planned to be equipped with aluminium chassis and a much more radical character than the P Cayenne, current V10 or V12

The LM002 beast is coming back!!... I duobt it though.

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    - Frontengined GT planned, maybe based on the next Audi A8-chassis (same as Bugatti and Bentley)

Wouldn't it be funny if Posche uses the same chasis for their GT?... a Lambo and a Porsche with the same chasis! herecy I say

Quote:

- Murcielago successor much more radical, closer to the Ferrari Enzo and equipped with a new carbonfibre chassis

and having the (rumoured) porsche-GT in mind... and all the upcoming baby astons... bentley conti GT's... maseratis...

i'm really wondering who's gonna buy all these badge-engineered cars??

maybe the automobile industry didn't notice that the new economy bubble bursted quite some time ago

Quote:
    zzboba said:

Me!

You're right, I also doubt that they will be able to spread all their cars as they intended to. I am still quite surprised how many SLRs have been - officially - sold. I don't see any sense in buying such a car, not at this ridiculous price! A Lambo GT hasn't been around for quite a while and to be honest, the Countach, Diablo and especially the Miura come into my mind if I think about their cars, less their GT models. Might be my age though...

Judging by the pictures of the projected Lambo SUV I doubt that it will be a success - these cars have always been brutal, loud and drinking gas like mad.

How many of the predecessor have been built? 200? This car was mainly about uniqueness and exclusivity, not about a clever sale strategy. If I remember correctly it was derived from a army project, that didn't find its way into daylight. Am I correct on that one?

I am quite curious about the Murcielago follow-up - even the modified Murcie with more than 600 hp will be a leap further. I don't want to imagine how a Enzo-rivaling car will look, feel and drive like!

Quote:
    zzboba said:

Sonke,

they would be a lot of people. The market needs differentiation. In Monte Carlo where there is the biggest concentration of luxury cars, you see all the same cars, I got bored nearly of every car as I see it so much. Immagine all those people that buy them.
    To be honest the only car I see less are GT3, Murcielago and GT2. The rest is everywhere (I am talking about cars in current production) and there are so much! Even the Cayenne, oh my good (anyway, I am probably getting one as its really a good car) How many, everywhere in every country! I was in Bulgaria couple of weeks ago and in less than 3 hours going around town shopping I saw around 10 Cayennes!
    There is a need of a wider choice market in my opinion.

A Lambo SUV won't be bad at all to differentiate this market even though Lambo will loose in sport appeal. But as long they make profit, they don't care much.

Quote:
    Captain Bady said:
    A Lambo SUV won't be bad at all to differentiate this market even though Lambo will loose in sport appeal. But as long they make profit, they don't care much.

Yeah, but I seriously doubt that it will have a positive effect on Lamborghini's image - what do you guys think should be the way to go for them?

As I said my personal memory starts with the Countach. It is kind of fascinating that the Countach and Diablo, with Miura and Murcie on both ends of the timeline, built reputation for the brand and were the only models for decades. The Murcielago and Gallardo are definately great machines but I doubt that it has the effect as the above mentioned cars have on car enthusiasts. It is great and I appreciate that they made the cars handle magnificent, much unlike the predecessor. I could've imagined the Murcie to be the successor for the very first Countach, very nice shape and with a certain brutality underneath the beautiful coat...

I am not sure if it makes sense to jump on the SUV hype, on the one hand since I guess that it becomes smaller and on the other since the first and so far only Lambo "SUV" was a kind of fun vehicle for oil sheiks and resembled a Lambo-powered troop carrier more than anything else!

Quote:
    There is a need of a wider choice market in my opinion.

i wouldn't call the côte d' azur area symptomatical for the world car market, but in a way you are right -- it's all about being the first, being different in this price segment.

but alle these new cars are cannibalizing themselves. IMO the "above EUR 150K" sports market can't be expanded -- people who bought a 911 turbo or merc SL now buy a gallardo or a DB9. they don't buy additional cars.

or let's look at aston martin -- what's so great about astons? that they are expensive and rare. and now the bring out the DB9 at nearly half the price of the vanquish and with nearly the same HP. and the carrera-priced DB8 isn't far away... AM's market strategy is a complete mistery to me. IMO someone wouldn't buy a DB8 instead of a porsche 911, but he would buy a DB8 instead of a DB9.

i bet that some car companies will have to modify their business plans.

@ zzboba

What makes you believe that a DB8 is not a competitor to the 911? With 370hp it's more or less in the same performance league. Granted on the track the 911 is probably superior, but I suspect that the majority of 911 customers doesn't care about ultimate street performance. They buy the 911 because it's a comfortable sportscar with image and heritage. The Aston provides all that and it can offer something which the regular Carrera has lost in recent years: exclusivity.

RG TL

P.S. I don't care about exclusivity, but many people do.

Quote:
    What makes you believe that a DB8 is not a competitor to the 911? With 370hp it's more or less in the same performance league. Granted on the track the 911 is probably superior, but I suspect that the majority of 911 customers doesn't care about ultimate street performance. They buy the 911 because it's a comfortable sportscar with image and heritage. The Aston provides all that and it can offer something which the regular Carrera has lost in recent years: exclusivity.

IMO the majority of the 911 clientele doesn't want exclusivity. they want a reliable sports car which they can use as a daily driver and which is kind of socially accepted.

the main DB8 target audience IMO is anglophile -- former AM DB7 and jaguar XK drivers. both brands belong to ford's PAG.

but the main point of my post was that for every car new on the market, some other car will loose sales. we'll see if it's a carrera or a DB9 in the case of the DB8. but i do not believe that most car manufactureres acting in this segment can live up to their original expectations.

More info on the Lambo SUV and GT

Auto Express:
    Quote:
    t might sound like sacrilege, but Lamborghini is heading off-road and back to its roots. Before the Italian manufacturer built supercars, its founder, Ferruccio Lamborghini, made his money selling tractors - and the firm now has another 4x4 on the drawing board.

But it's not completely forgetting its core customers, and has a new front-engined GT model on the cards as well. The last time Lamborghini put its name to an off-roader was in 1992, when production of the brutish LM 002 finished. The exclusive pictures in this week's issue give the first glimpse of the all-wheel-drive Porsche Cayenne rival which insiders say will see the LM badge return.

With Lamborghini under Audi's control, the Italian firm is ideally placed to benefit from its German parent's engineering expertise. The new mud-plugger is expected to be based on the same platform as the Audi Pikes Peak 4x4, which was unveiled as a concept at 2002's Detroit Motor Show and is set to go on sale next year. It's also likely to borrow parts from VW's Touareg.

However, this new-found love of off-roading doesn't mean Lamborghini is turning its back on supercars. Company designers are also working on a front-engined rival to the Ferrari 575M.

Power will come from the same 5.0-litre V10 engine as in the Gallardo, which means an output in excess of 500bhp is more than likely. This new model is a radical departure from the mid-engined Gallardo and Murciélago, but would still be an impressive addition to Lamborghini's imposing line-up. Neither the sportster nor the 4x4 is expected to appear in the metal before 2006.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776121 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441107 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262451 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260627 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84993 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5450 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880133 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815164 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM