Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2009 Carrera Base Model - Best bang for the bu

Jazzman,, congratulations. But why XRR wheels? Didn't you know that the new standard S wheels are 'flow-formed' (forged)? Apart from Turbo wheels, all other wheels including XRR are cast. Forged wheels are superior to cast.

Secondly, I think Sport crono+ is a waste of money because its launch control can only be used six times before it voids your warranty.

Thirdly, LSD is a must. (option 220 as a stand alone is fine)

Thanks, Middy. That's the first I've heard about the "forged" S wheels. Honestly, I just can't make myself like the look of the new S wheels. I had a hard time choosing any factory wheels that I liked. My favorite of the current Porsche wheels are the GT3 wheels, but I don't think they are the best widths for the C2S. I might just go with the Sport Designs and, if I don't like them, try to sell them to someone here.

Did you order the tow-tone black/terracotta interior or not? It doesn't show up in the order list...
    -Joost-

Quote:
    middy said:
    Jazzman,, congratulations. But why XRR wheels? Didn't you know that the new standard S wheels are 'flow-formed' (forged)? Apart from Turbo wheels, all other wheels including XRR are cast. Forged wheels are superior to cast.

Secondly, I think Sport crono+ is a waste of money because its launch control can only be used six times before it voids your warranty.

Whether or not you use launch control or not, a car without SC will suffer a very bad resale. Plus, SC+ has many more benefits than just launch control.

If there were two cars that SC is an absolute must, they would the 997tt and the 997.2 PDK NA 911. Obviously, the tt is more important, but the new PDK Carrera still needs it. I will go as far as to say that both of these cars should have it standard so that buyers and dealers don't forget to order it.

Quote:
    TheJazzMan said:
    Thanks, Middy. That's the first I've heard about the "forged" S wheels. Honestly, I just can't make myself like the look of the new S wheels. I had a hard time choosing any factory wheels that I liked. My favorite of the current Porsche wheels are the GT3 wheels, but I don't think they are the best widths for the C2S. I might just go with the Sport Designs and, if I don't like them, try to sell them to someone here.

Plus, I don't have exact weights, but the new wheels weigh in at roughly 22-24 lbs., according to my dealer. He asked, on my behalf, when in Spain for the launch.

Re: 2009 Carrera Base Model - Best bang

Quote:
    964C2 said:
    For a different opinion...if I was buying, it would be the base 997.2 with PDK and sports seats....that's it, no other options, no 19", no PASM, (I'd buy LSD, if I could get it w/o 19" wheels), no appearance stuff....white exterior, black interior.

When I ordered my 2006 C2, I specifically did not want the S. I wanted the 18" wheels and the never cared for the 'phoney' 4 tube exhaust. I had the tiptronic, and HID lights, NAV among the options.

After 27 months, I sold it taking 'only' a $20k learning experience (AKA a loss). Had I had an S, would have been a more costly learning experience....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you'd have an easier time selling, finding a willing audience, for a Tip base 997 than a Tip "S", as your typical "S" demographic isn't seeking a Tip.. Especially in the used market, where you could argue that the more "hard-core" but "financially-challenged" enthusiasts look to buy their cars.

If one could access production stats that showed Tips as a percentage of base Carrera production, and Tips as a percentage of S production, my theory could be tested..

Quote:
    middy said:
    I think Sport crono+ is a waste of money because its launch control can only be used six times before it voids your warranty.

I think there is more to the Sport Chrono Plus option than you think. Yes with SC+ on a PDK, you get the [Sport Plus] button to do launch control. However, on all cars, pdk and manual, Sport Chrono Plus buys you other things, beyond just the cool chronometer on the dash.

According to the Porsche configurator, it buys you the ability to select a more responsive throttle mapping, you get customization of things like lighting,... here is what the Porsche website has to say on the subject (of course substitute in PDK for where it says Tiptronic, as the websites don't yet contain the data on the facelift models:

Quote:

All 911 models can also be fitted with the optional Sport Chrono Package Plus. it offers even sportier tuning of the engine and chasis, and delivers greater driving pleasure as a result.

Included in the package are ta digital and analog timer, a [SPORT] select button, a performance display and a personal memory function in the new PCM. Also - when fitted with PDK - a [Sport Plus] button.

When the [Sport] button is selected, the EMS SDI 3.1 engine management system enhances the engine response. A modified throttle map relates the pedal angle in the footwell to a much wider angle of opening on the throttle valve. Throttle response is significantly more immediate, and in the higher gears, a hard rev-limiter helps protect the engine under acceleration.

The optional PASM is also switched to 'Sport' mode for harder damping and more direct steering and therefore better road holding.

A hard rev-limiter is also applied in the PDK when gearshift points are delayed until the upper rev range. The shift times are shorter, the gear changes sportier. At low rates of deceleration - even with high engine speeds - the system initiates a swifter brake-induced downshift. In manual mode, gear changes are faster and more dynamic.

In 'Sport' mode, the trigger threshold for PSM (stability management) is raised for increased longitudinal and lateral dynamics. Agility is enhanced under braking for corners with PSM enabling greater maneuverability under braking and exit acceleration, especially at low speeds.

Supposedly there are other features such as the ability to program lighting, locking and other settings that you get with this option.

Quote:
    TheJazzMan said:
    Thanks for the replies. I realize that there is definitely an emotional factor here and that's why I was trying to approach it analytically. My ego says, "Get the S!!!", but my brain says I don't need it. I agree that used is always a good option where budget is an issue, but it isn't for this purchase. I just don't want to spend $10k on features and performance I don't need. The primary reason I'm buying a 997.2 is PDK (the better fuel economy is also a big plus).

I was just curious to see if anyone else was having these internal conflicts.

Lets say you save 10k, thats roughly 2222 galllons of $4.50 per gallon gas..I doubt many owners have ever put that much into their p-cars..

I like Sport Chrono because I have it on my car... And if I didn't have it, then it wouldn't be there when I feel like fiddling with it... That's good enough reason for me...

Seriously, all joking aside, sometimes I get the distinct feeling that there are those here who will hyper-analyze and perform cost-benefit studies on every last option or model-premium, and then leave work, go get a $200 haircut, a 5$ cup of Joe, and then return home to a house where only 20% of the rooms ever get used on a monthly basis...

Seems to me that everybody has their treshold of needing an option or model so badly that they'll pay for it, and if it's worth it to you, then alrighty then. We spend so much other money on so many asinine things in life, that our Porsches may be one of the SMARTER things we "blow" expendable dough on, regardless of spec...

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    and then leave work, go get a $200 haircut, a 5$ cup of Joe, and then return home to a house where only 20% of the rooms ever get used on a monthly basis...

Agree , so just get the S then...

+1

I think that the base Carrera is one of the most classic and elegant present offerings from Porsche. I am in absolute love with the 997.2 Carrera.

Just my .02 on the styling at least.

Get the S only if the added HP is really something you need.

I'd rather spend the $10k on a great new set of home theater speakers from Bowers & Wilkins.

Quote:
    Minok said:
    I'd rather spend the $10k on a great new set of home theater speakers from Bowers & Wilkins.

I prefer Magnepan.

I prefer the S

BUY WHAT YOU FEEL LIKE IT JUST MAKE SURE YOU DONT TURN AROUND IN TWO YEARS SAYING...OH MAN I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT THE S....

Quote:
    FLORENT KAVADAS said:
    BUY WHAT YOU FEEL LIKE IT JUST MAKE SURE YOU DONT TURN AROUND IN TWO YEARS SAYING...OH MAN I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT THE S....

More like, after two days, you start to question whether you should have bought the S. My advice, don't over analyze. Get the S. You won't regret having paid so much for the base only to come up short and wishing you got the S. Get the S for peace of mind.

Middy,
    What you mean , you can only use Launch Control 6 times,
    then it voids your warranty. What are you talking about!
    Porsche would never introduce a technology that fragile;
    and tout it's usefulllness, as an everday feature.

Please elaborate.....

Revvv

How is launch control useful as an everyday feature... Are you drag racing at every stop-light??

Well, to just be an opposing voice to the flood of fans of the S that consider anything less a waste of money....

Don't buy the S just because of peer pressure and realize a week later or a year later that you spent 10 grand extra and are not really getting anything out of that money other than round exhaust ports and slightly worse gas mileage.

:-)

Quote:
    Revvv said:
    Middy,
    What you mean , you can only use Launch Control 6 times,
    then it voids your warranty. What are you talking about!
    Porsche would never introduce a technology that fragile;
    and tout it's usefulllness, as an everday feature.

Please elaborate.....

Revvv

Read the thread at the rennlist forums. The thread is titled MY09 Carrera Tidbits. (under 997 Forum)

I don't care to go to rennlist I only trust Renn Team
    for correct information.........

Revvv

I drove both the base 3.6 and the S 3.8 and found the extra grunt of the 3.8 thrilling, and more involving of the driver, more of why you drive a Porsche! Easy decision for me, S all the way.

More torque and more power for a reasonable amount of money... Why the hell not..., unless you're of the opinion that the base car is "powerful enough", to which I would reply in my best Jeff Lebowski voice, "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man..."

A car is "powerful enough", in my subtle opinion, if it can make you laugh and your wife scream simultaneously. A car is "powerful enough" when you realize that you stopped breathing while it was accelerating.

My 997S isn't powerful enough as it sits... Damn if I'd save $10K and be yet even slower...

so 997.1S or 997.2 (non-s)??

Quote:
    middy said:

Middy, I was told by OPC that unlike Ferrai LC can be used unlimited and does not effect warranty.....are you sure about this?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803283 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448595 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266156 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90082 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885757 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833362 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM