Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Ordered PDK, but not Sport Chrono+

I've pushed my budget to the limit by moving up to a Carrera S and earlier today someone mentioned that I should get the Sport Chrono in order to protect resale. If I add another $1300 to this order, my wife is going to lose it. I've searched, but can't find out much about what the Chrono does for PDK besides the launch control. Since I don't plan to be street racing, I don't need this feature. What else does it give me for $1300?

Re: Ordered PDK, but not Sport Chrono+

I've not seen the order guides but I heard there's Sport Chrono and Sport Chrono Plus. If so, I would order Sport Chrono to at least have access to more aggressive engine mappings - I care less for launch control.

I would be more concerned about having the more aggressive throttle mapping than launch control. I find launch control to be of limited use but do use the Sport Chrono on my 2006 Carrera S almost always. It's definitely a plus for resale as I feel many buyers would be put off if you don't have it as opposed to buying a car with it.

forget about the whole car if you do not order sport chrono plus.....

Isn't the sport chrono plus for turbos and the regular sport chrono for normal 911's?
    -Joost-

There are 2 stages with SC. Sport and Sport Plus.

The more aggressive mapping and PDK operation + launch control are on Sport Plus and some people find it too much.

However, in Sport mode the PDK works in a more sporty way, it holds gears longer and does not go a gear up quickly in the interest of fuel economy and 7th gear is not engaged. Also you get amore aggressive throttle but not as aggressive as in the Plus mode.

Since you are getting PDK it is a must to exlore all possibilities with SC.

I am sure that if you explain all the technology to your wife she will appreciate your choice

I found the Order Guides for SC:

Carrera Coupe $960, $1320 for PDK cars (US Price)
    Carrera S Coupe $960, $1320 for PDK cars (US Price)

Sport Chrono Package Plus
    Analog and digital chronometer, sport button in the center console and
    display in the PCM, also adds ability to adjust lighting, wipers, AC and door
    locking to suit personal preference. In conjunction with PDK, includes Sports
    Plus button in center console to activate launch control function (Race
    start). Note: In conjunction with PDK, price is $1320.

----

So... only PDK equipped cars have the Sport Plus button.

would definitely get sports chrono for PDK if I was you

I strongly recommend the Sport Chrono option after having driven the PDK Carrera. In auto mode, the sport function give a whole new experience of driving. It never goes into 7th gear, holds the gears up to the red line, definitely a must.

By the sounds of it you need to risk divorce. Personally, SC is the way to go. Can't you get rid of anything else you may have spec'd, like a sunroof or something else just as useless to assist in the cost?

Ordered PDK AND NOW Sport Chrono+

Based on your strong responses, I'll add the Sport Chrono. Maybe the wife won't notice. But that's not likely - she's a CPA.

Here's my complete spec:

Porsche Carrera S Coupe
    9Q Meteor Grey Paint
    AT Black Full Leather
    250 7-speed Porsche Doppelkupplung
    640 Sport Chrono Plus
    407 Sport Design Wheels
    672 Navigation Module for PCM
    P15 Power Comfort Seats with Driver Memory
    686 XM Radio
    680 Bose
    870 Universal Audio Interface
    267 Self Dimming Mirrors
    810 Floor Mats Interior Color

Re: Ordered PDK AND NOW Sport Chrono+

IMHO:
    deleted Bose
    added heated/ventilated seats

I think it's interesting this Board endorses so heartily the SC.
    Is it because, in this case, the user was also PDK?
    I see on other Boards that SC has little appeal and many who have it now, rate it high on the list of things for which they would not spend again.
    Personally.....if it truly has value, I'd prefer a switch under the dash or somewhere else....but that's just my opin.
    It presently is not on my spec list for the 09, unless I'm convinced otherwise. This car will be a 4s cab w/stick that will never be tracked.

Quote:
    GreggT said:
    I think it's interesting this Board endorses so heartily the SC.
    Is it because, in this case, the user was also PDK?
    I see on other Boards that SC has little appeal and many who have it now, rate it high on the list of things for which they would not spend again.
    Personally.....if it truly has value, I'd prefer a switch under the dash or somewhere else....but that's just my opin.
    It presently is not on my spec list for the 09, unless I'm convinced otherwise. This car will be a 4s cab w/stick that will never be tracked.

With PDK it makes a lot of sense because it also changes the way the transmission works, as described above. Also it has a further stage, the sport plus.

In manual it changes the throttle response which some people cannot really detect and it raises the PSM threshold and there is only one stage.

Quote:
    TheJazzMan said:
    Based on your strong responses, I'll add the Sport Chrono. Maybe the wife won't notice. But that's not likely - she's a CPA.

Here's my complete spec:

Porsche Carrera S Coupe
    9Q Meteor Grey Paint
    AT Black Full Leather
    640 Sport Chrono Plus
    407 Sport Design Wheels
    686 XM Radio
    680 Bose
    267 Self Dimming Mirrors

Well done!

If you are not into music but only a normal listener save the cost of BOSE and option a LSD. Big advantage on a powerful car with the balance of Porsche.
    IMO the standard audio system is adequate for casual listeners like myself.

I presume you don't make or receive telephone calls in the car because I don't see a telephone module.

The wife only insisted on two (expensive) options - Full Leather and the Bose. Personally, I could do without both.

BTW: I do plan to add PSE when it becomes available.

Quote:
    TheJazzMan said:
    The wife only insisted on two (expensive) options - Full Leather and the Bose. Personally, I could do without both.

OK, if someone is keen on music and has a sensitivity for sound, the BOSE is surely better.

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    TheJazzMan said:

OK, if someone is keen on music and has a sensitivity for sound, the BOSE is surely better.

Well, he is the Jazzman!

Comfort seats? If that's fluffy leather then I'd bin those also. Personally I'd go for Sports Seats, whether they are adaptable thats up to you.

Fluffy leather looks terrible after a while and does not suit the car if you ask me.

Quote:
    ResB said:
    Comfort seats? If that's fluffy leather then I'd bin those also. Personally I'd go for Sports Seats, whether they are adaptable thats up to you.

Fluffy leather looks terrible after a while and does not suit the car if you ask me.

No, comfort seats(P15) is the designation for standard power seats with memory. What you have in mind is "soft ruffled leather" seats.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    I found the Order Guides for SC:

Carrera Coupe $960, $1320 for PDK cars (US Price)
    Carrera S Coupe $960, $1320 for PDK cars (US Price)

Sport Chrono Package Plus
    Analog and digital chronometer, sport button in the center console and
    display in the PCM, also adds ability to adjust lighting, wipers, AC and door
    locking to suit personal preference. In conjunction with PDK, includes Sports
    Plus button in center console to activate launch control function (Race
    start). Note: In conjunction with PDK, price is $1320.

----

So... only PDK equipped cars have the Sport Plus button.

Just for completeness (if someone later searches this thread for data):

For 6spd manual shift cars Sport Chrono Plus is also available:

Sport Chrono Package Plus $960.00

You get all the same stuff except no special "Sport Plus" button, whose sole purpose is to engage the PDK launch control, so it doesn't make sense on a 6spd manual shift.

The Sport Chrono Plus is probably worth it for the ability to customize the various settings of the car (I don't understand why those customizations are not available as standard, but thats another debate).

Quote:
    Minok said:...
    The Sport Chrono Plus is probably worth it for the ability to customize the various settings of the car (I don't understand why those customizations are not available as standard, but thats another debate).

Sure you do... that's another way for PAG to milk its customers. The same way that bluetooth, Aux connection, XM radio and so on should be standard, but they are not.

To the OP: drop the Bose, which only adds weight, and tell your wife that this is a sports car and that the base stereo is perfectly good enough.

The sport button also deactivates the emergency brake boosting function. Its almost worth the price of SC for that alone if you like late braking

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    ResB said:

No, comfort seats(P15) is the designation for standard power seats with memory. What you have in mind is "soft ruffled leather" seats.

That's what I was thinking.

Quote:
    TheJazzMan said:

Here's my complete spec:

Porsche Carrera S Coupe
    9Q Meteor Grey Paint
    AT Black Full Leather
    640 Sport Chrono Plus
    407 Sport Design Wheels
    686 XM Radio
    680 Bose
    267 Self Dimming Mirrors

A good spec you have there. I spec'ed the BOSE on my C2S but I'm not sure I would again.

I would definitely go for SC+ over BOSE.

Also, your dealer should give you the mats for free. I deliberately didn't order mine as I thought it was something the dealership could throw in.

I'm not ordering the mats because I don't want carpet mats. I'll be installing the rubber mats that can actually hold some water. Either the dealer will toss them in for free, or I'll spend the coin myself.

Quote:
    Minok said:
    I'm not ordering the mats because I don't want carpet mats. I'll be installing the rubber mats that can actually hold some water. Either the dealer will toss them in for free, or I'll spend the coin myself.

Does Porsche have decent rubber mats or do you go with Weathertech?

Won't be able to resell it without Sport Chrono.........
    You may not care about Launch Control today, but you will
    sometime, and the person who buys it , after you, will certainly crave it ! Don't forget about " Race Shift Stategy", only with Sport Chrono plus........

Don't leave out the dynamic Cornering lights, either !

Enjoy !

Revvv

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    Minok said:

Does Porsche have decent rubber mats or do you go with Weathertech?

At the dealer in Bellevue, Washington, they showed me rubber mats from the parts department for the 997. They are not as deep in water holding capacity as my VW rubber mats, but they do have enough groove depth to hold some water.. important to me no rainy days (feet don't slip on the wet carpet either, if its rubber) I'd still clear my boots of snow outside the door before bringing the feet in during winter driving.

Check with your parts department. When I get mine (not till December) I'll post the info on them, if someone reminds me.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    805830 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449177 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266809 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90326 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6998 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886762 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835496 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM