Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Where is Targa ?

It's July 28 already.

Re: Where is Targa ?

I was thinking same thing, hopefully it is just bit of a slow start and we should have details later today. fingers crossed!

Sheesh, Ron. I saw your post last night at 11pm (pacific time)... Give the guys a chance to wake up and get into the office at a normal hour. Its not like the launch of some silly video game where we camp out by the dealership 2 weeks in advance (is it? If it is, let me know so I can get my sleeping bag out)

That said, WHEN is the configurator finally going to catch up and roll to the new editions. I mean, they have only been building the new cars for months now, so what is the deal with still having this 08-models configurator on the website?

So does anyone know how long it typically is in the USA from the time the car is 'officially unveiled' until the 'order guide' becomes available?

The order guide for the Targa should appear within the next 2-3 weeks.

Well today I can get into the Targa configurator in the US site, but only by a round-about way, as the Targa is not 911 model listed if you access via "configure"->911.. where you see various 911 models listed. By going to the upper menu on info about the Targa 4 and then selecting from the pop-up menu the 'configure' option, I got there....

But the data is suspect, as my resulting Targa 4 was described in the standard equipment section as RWD

My dealer did retry the CEE and CEF lighting options and they took finally (HURAH).

What isn't taking at this point is option 220 (LSD LOCK), because, as he indicates, its telling him its a 'conflict with the model'.

So maybe the LSD LOCK option is actually the OPTIONAL LSD that a RWD car can spec (and because of the screw-up in the drive info in the configurator, its showing options it should not)... or the LSD LOCK is an option for cars with an LSD, and the order system is screwed up.

They must have had college grad student interns write their web and back-office systems.

Ok, my Targa order finally has all the options I wanted. Yes, some of you will go on and on about how Porsche will love me for spending so much on high markup options and how its money down the tubes on resale. Hey, I know the entire concept of buying this car is money down the tubes.. its a horrible financial decision. So what. I'm driving it for the next 10-15 years and I'm going to get the car I want. Every option was weight, then weight again before accepting or rejecting. Yes, some are for the tech-toy they are.

Targa 4 - std 18" wheels - Build in October 2008
    • X4 - Speed Yellow - Because I've always wanted a one
    • DC - Stone Grey Standard Leather - Because black heats up too much for me and is too dark
    • P15 - Power Comfort Seats - Power Lumbar and easy adjust after the service guy gets out
    • XPA - Thicker 3-spoke sports stearing wheel - the triangle is ugly, and the normal sport too thin
    • 267 - Self Dimming Mirrors - I'm tired of flipping my mirrors by hand
    • 342 - Heated front seats - because my VW New Beetle heated seats demonstrated the benefit of a warm tuckas on a cold winters day
    • 475 - PASM - to get that softer normal ride on crappy roads - and be able to stiffen it up when needed
    • 498 - Delete Model Designation - so the washing mit and towels don't snag all the time
    • 509 - Fire Extinguisher - just in case -for the car, and for outside the car
    • 603 - Dynamic cornering lights - to see those deer just around the bend
    • 619 - Bluetooth Phone Interface (no holder) - to chat hands free
    • 635 - Parking Assist System - to adjust for the fact that I cannot see the back end as well as on my VW Golf ///
    • 640 - Sport Chrono Package Plus - cool clock and data tracking, and other adjustables in the car that come with it, plus the ability to get that sportier mode
    • 672 - Navigation Module for PCM - because you cannot find anyplace easy in Seattle with a map and street address
    • 686 - XM Radio - to get navtraffic feed to the nav system and avoid the local congestions better - and as XM and Sirius are merging, its no longer a hard choice
    • 870 - Universal Audio Interface - to listen to that iPod or USB memory stick compilation I just put together 10 seconds ago
    • 446 - Wheel Caps with colored crest - so the local guys can paint the wheels black when the car gets here
    • CEE - Rear Footwell lighting - to find items at night that fell to the floor
    • CEF - LED Door Pocket lighting - to see where that doohicky is in there.
    • CXB - Door Entry Guards - Stainless Steel - Illuminated - it beats black plastic, and the lighting offers moding opportunities - maybe change the light color
    • 541 - Seat Ventilation - driving in the hot summer with the roof open and windows down in 90 degree heat - I want to avoid having my back stick to the seat
    • 641 - Electronic Logbook - cool gadget - just to play with
    • 671 - PCM Voice Control - to be able to dial the phone, change the station, etc without a cluster of buttons on the steering wheel

MSRP Total: 105,485 $US

Not include is the painting the Carerra IV 18" rims black, nor the Carerra III 18" rims I've ordered (also to be painted) and the winter tires to be put on those CIII's.

Ok, criticize away... its all good.

> 498 - Delete Model Designation - so the washing mit and towels don't snag all the time

Pretentious.

These others below:

> 603 - Dynamic cornering lights - to see those deer just around the bend
    > CEE - Rear Footwell lighting - to find items at night that fell to the floor
    > CEF - LED Door Pocket lighting - to see where that doohicky is in there.
    > CXB - Door Entry Guards - Stainless Steel - Illuminated - it beats black plastic, and the lighting offers moding opportunities - maybe change the light color
    > 641 - Electronic Logbook - cool gadget - just to play with
    > 671 - PCM Voice Control - to be able to dial the phone, change the station, etc without a cluster of buttons on the steering wheel

Fluff, useless doodads.

I happen to also like most of those doodads - except for the voice control, which I have had on my current and last vehicle and never use, or the logbook - considered it, but since it is easily installed by the dealer if I get tired of hearing how great Minok thinks his is, I can get it.

I don't get how you think deleting the model designation is prententious A. Dias? I would think the opposite is true.

I really loved reading the play by play of each option Minok - you and I think a lot alike. I know it will put a smile on your face for years to come..

no matter what anyone else thinks!

Quote:
    mnmatt said:
    I happen to also like most of those doodads - except for the voice control, which I have had on my current and last vehicle and never use, or the logbook - considered it, but since it is easily installed by the dealer if I get tired of hearing how great Minok thinks his is, I can get it.

I don't get how you think deleting the model designation is prententious A. Dias? I would think the opposite is true.

I really loved reading the play by play of each option Minok - you and I think a lot alike. I know it will put a smile on your face for years to come..

no matter what anyone else thinks!

All in good fun. Doodads for me, essentials for you.

Re the badge delete: the thinking is that some delete it to provide an aura of mystery and raises the expectation that's more than what it is; of course the reverse can also be true.

I wish the red stripe could flash messages in red LED's -

messages like... ARE YOU LOOKING AT MY ASS?

:P

Quote:
    mnmatt said:

That, or what about: "HEY, IKNOWI AM A DESIGN FAILURE, MIGHTAS WELL PUT SOME FUNCTION TO IT" or is that too long?

Only if it scroll's - otherwise it would probably display

I KNOW I AM A DESIGN FAIL

Other ideas include - I JUST GOT SCREWED ON MY CAR INSURANCE

or the time and Weather like banks used to do

Or my personal favorite - IF YOU CAN READ THIS, I AM DRIVING TOO SLOW

Quote:
    mnmatt said:

I would use it with: Do NOT Tailgate me!

Quote:
    ADias said:
    > 498 - Delete Model Designation - so the washing mit and towels don't snag all the time

Pretentious.

These others below:

> 603 - Dynamic cornering lights - to see those deer just around the bend
    > CEE - Rear Footwell lighting - to find items at night that fell to the floor
    > CEF - LED Door Pocket lighting - to see where that doohicky is in there.
    > CXB - Door Entry Guards - Stainless Steel - Illuminated - it beats black plastic, and the lighting offers moding opportunities - maybe change the light color
    > 641 - Electronic Logbook - cool gadget - just to play with
    > 671 - PCM Voice Control - to be able to dial the phone, change the station, etc without a cluster of buttons on the steering wheel

Fluff, useless doodads.

Depends on where you live regarding 603 - Dynamic cornering lights. I live up in the hills where there are lots of tight curvy roads, and deer roaming around, and there aren't too many street lights. I would love 603.

David

Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    Depends on where you live regarding 603 - Dynamic cornering lights. I live up in the hills where there are lots of tight curvy roads, and deer roaming around, and there aren't too many street lights. I would love 603.

David

I can see the practicality of dynamic lights in that case, but I look at that as another gadget to go wrong and add weight in a sports car. I purposefully put limits on the practicality of a a sports car.

I would add rear center console in leather, with model designation.

Congrats, it looks like if your Targa is going to be fairly well loaded.

Enjoy it.

I miss my 996 Targa every single day !!

Looks good to me. Enjoy your lovely Targa

Quote:
    ADias said:
    I can see the practicality of dynamic lights in that case, but I look at that as another gadget to go wrong and add weight in a sports car. I purposefully put limits on the practicality of a a sports car.

Indeed. There are some, like yourself, who see a 911, as primarily a sports car. There are others, like myself, who see a 911 as a very nice daily driver, which is also a sports car.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    I purposefully put limits on the practicality of a a sports car.

Out of curiousity, didn't you order the automatic gearbox on your Vette?

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    DavidSF said:

David

In my mind it's not a practical or comfort feature. It's a safety feature. The more safety features the better. PSM, a must-have. 6 airbags? Bring it on. I can't wait for Porsche to add a "heads up" infrared display.

David

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:
    I purposefully put limits on the practicality of a a sports car.

Out of curiousity, didn't you order the automatic gearbox on your Vette?

Yes, but I do not see that on a practical vs sporty issue. The Vette 6-speed paddle-shifter is quite good. On a future P-car I've not decided if I go manual or PDK.

Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    In my mind it's not a practical or comfort feature. It's a safety feature. The more safety features the better. PSM, a must-have. 6 airbags? Bring it on. I can't wait for Porsche to add a "heads up" infrared display.

David

How complex is this system and how much extra weight does it add? Anybody know?

Just to refresh the red-reflective-strip debate..

There's this....

Some folks seem to like the strip : http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=38681

as there is even a US company selling a sticker for non 4 models to get that effect. (at the right Porsche pricing point of almost $300 for a sticker
    )

Stick on reflector

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689443 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409148 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255707 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234973 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65517 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4645 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857921 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773962 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM