Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

BoxsterS vs. Lotus Elise SC on Nordschleife

Having become a NoS addict myself I was looking forward to read the recent copy of Autobild Sportscars featuring a comparo of the two cars at NoS

Interesting as the concepts of both cars are quite different: Elise has the edge in terms of power/weight (4.1 kg/hp vs. 4.8 kg/hp) whereas the Boxster has the edge in terms of topspeed.

The author/driver ("chief testdriver" of the mag - quite experienced on NoS, he drives the 24h and the VLN series) is a fan of lightweight cars btw.

Comments on the Elise SC:
    Steering very direct, but too much "play" in the center position. At corner entries first a bit unwilling, thereafter very "progressive" steering.
    A bit tricky at the Hatzenbach serpentines (load change --> risk of the rear end becoming loose).
    On the other hand excellent road holding at the fast Flugplatz corner, whereas the BoxsterS feels a bit nervous at this corner (I can confirm this ).
    Fuchsröhre (foxhole): both cars very fast, Boxster feels more composed here due to excellent steering feel.
    Brakes: not enough feedback, hard to modulate (danger of "over-braking" at the braking point after fast downhill section ending at Wehrseifen (which is the slowest corner of the track).

Comments on the BoxsterS:
    Perfect brakes (car was equipped with PCCB), perfect steering , PASM excellent for both - track (ab-) use/road driving.

Laptimes Lotus Elise SC: 8:41.9 - BoxsterS 8:35.7
    Seems that HvS is still a very fast guy considering the Supertest laptime (8:23) with the 3.2 BoxsterS - though Sportauto lap is a couple of hundred meters shorter (AB Sportscars seem to do the full lap).

The Lotus was equipped with the Yokohama Advan sport tires (should be good for 7 sec. or so compared to normal road tires).

Straightline performance: Elise has a (small) edge up to 130 km/h, Boxster gains half a second up to 160 km/h, at 180 km/h the two cars are even again, thereafter the BoxsterS has the edge.

Sportauto has tested the Lotus ExigeS (243 hp) a couple of weeks ago in their Supertest (car was 3 sec slower on NoS compared to the 3.2 BoxsterS).

Sticker prices for the Lotus have become a bit crazy these days IMO: "just" 5 k Euro less compared to the BoxsterS (comparing base prices for both).

Re: BoxsterS vs. Lotus Elise SC on Nordschleife

Excellent points - thanks P-J!

In the real (non-Nring) driving world, the very different sizes of these cars also separate them. In our wider, faster North American and many northern Europe roads, the Boxster is still a nice manoeverable size but large enough to be less nervous; on very narrow UK roads where speeds are lower, (and the twisties I drove in May in Tuscany ) the Elise is about perfect (assuming you can fit into one!).

The new Evora is not getting much love in the other thread here, but maybe it will appeal to those who like the Lotus philosophy but need a bit more size and a little less hardcore interior than the Elise offers.

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    The author/driver ("chief testdriver" of the mag - quite experienced on NoS, he drives the 24h and the VLN series) is a fan of lightweight cars [...]

Lotus Elise SC: 8:41.9 - BoxsterS 8:35.7
    Seems that HvS is still a very fast guy considering the Supertest laptime (8:23) with the 3.2 BoxsterS - though Sportauto lap is a couple of hundred meters shorter (AB Sportscars seem to do the full lap).

Great summary. Have not read any magazine review outside of SportAuto where laptimes have been faster, no matter who was at the wheel. Neither AutoBild's nor AMS's journalists or the occasional professional at the wheel posted faster times on HHR and NS.
    If one considers the laptimes on the HHR short circuit at the annual TunerGP, only modified cars with professional drivers at the wheel are faster than SA's claims.

Hope Nberry is not reading this post...

The Boxster is so much more car for the money too.

Incredible and thank you for sharing. I thought the Lotus SC would walk-away from the Porsche on the track. I guess not. Also, there was a testdrive of an Elise SC, wherein the testdriver says that the Lotus SC is now priced in Porsche Boxster territory, and was not impressed. Having traded my Elise for a Boxster S, I thought the SC would be something that would blow away a Boxster, but as the testdriver points out, Lotus needs to work on driving dynamics and simple ergonomics .
    Here is the link:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=W5o9GlsdLK8

I have this issue. Here are the scans.

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

...and the Nordschleife-map

Quote:
    acrobat said:

Thanks for the scan, acrobat
    BTW the "speed-points" on the map are a bit misleading. Sector times and top speed achieved in each sector sound reasonable but top speed on Döttinger Höhe can't be reached at the shown point (too close to Galgenkopf).

@ vincesf: thanks for the link to the vid - very entertaining and good comments

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    acrobat said:

Thanks for the scan, acrobat
    BTW the "speed-points" on the map are a bit misleading. Sector times and top speed achieved in each sector sound reasonable but top speed on Döttinger Höhe can't be reached at the shown point (too close to Galgenkopf).

@ vincesf: thanks for the link to the vid - very entertaining and good comments

A pleasure to share, and below is another link to a video that praises the Elise SC in its own right; however, Jason's critique (the first video I posted), makes some fundamental comparisons with the Boxster and puts the Elise SC into perspective, as a great toy, but as a car, it's priced squarely in Boxster S territory, and comes up a bit short. I may like to buy an Elise again, but I would never pay Boxster money for it, as the Boxster is a far superior car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDf9YEnIUFQ

vincesf

Acrobat:
    THANK YOU for taking the time to post the article, very much appreciated, and thank you for the earlier summation/translation. In short, the Boxster is still competitive on the track with the Lotus SC.
    vincesf

Quote:
    vincesf said:
    Acrobat:
    THANK YOU for taking the time to post the article, very much appreciated, and thank you for the earlier summation/translation. In short, the Boxster is still competitive on the track with the Lotus SC.
    vincesf

You're welcome!

Very nice thread. If there's one car that may seduce me out of my Boxster S, then it's the Elise. It seems to separate the ones who get it (car guys), and the others who don't. Lotus' philosophy definitely speaks to me. The original Porsche philosophy speaks to me as well, though I fear that some of it has been diluted by Porsche's current quest for world domination.

I think if Lotus continues to focus on "less is more," and makes what is "less" of the highest quality (in terms of thoughtful engineering, obsessive attention to detail, and fit and finish), then I could be persuaded to give them a try.

I do not think of fit and finish when I see/touch a Lotus. They are bare and flimsy and build quality is not striking.

Their real strength is being lightweight, mid engined, and nicely balanced. What else out there is lightweight these days?

SInce VW is developing a lightweight mid-engine sports car, there is talk that Porsche may come back with a "914" version of the platform. Stay tuned.
    vincesf

Hi Porsche-Jeck

@acrobat, thx for taking the time and effort to scan the article

Quote:
    Comments on the Elise SC:
    Steering very direct, but too much "play" in the center position.

The article has made its way to a german Lotus forum I regularly frequent. The Lotus community - as well as my humble self - cannot comprehend what the writer is describing by "too much play in the center position". The steering of my car (which is no SC though) is very direct and responsive (I dare say, nearly instanteous) in any position! However, the more you turn the wheel the harder the steering gets - a behaviour that HvS already pointed out in his last Supertest of the Lotus Exige S.

I find it amusing and yet tiresome that a lot of magazine's are trying to sell more copies by asserting that a Not-Porsche-sportscar might be a "Porsche Killer".
    Porsche has rightly become a reference in today's sportscars world but one cannot just compare every sportscar against a Porsche on the North Loop!

Every car that is fast on the North Loop, is a fast car - but not every fast car is fast on the North Loop! That's how I see it, at least...

btw, a Smart can be a Porsche Killer when it comes to finding a parking slot

Quote:
    Sticker prices for the Lotus have become a bit crazy these days IMO

I absolutely agree with you PJ!

The Sport Auto 987S time is 8:23. Quite a difference from 8:35,7.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803935 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448721 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266315 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90156 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6741 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886050 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834242 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM