Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

What's with the dumb stuck-on phone?

Gotta comment on the phone headset placement. Just stuck to the side and taking up space from passenger footwell.

WHAT were THEY thinking?

I mean it looks sooooooo clunky and aftermarket.

Just when I grudgingly accept the space shuttle center console, I just realize there's no place for a phone except in your face.

Couldn't they have provided a decent cradle space for it where it lies partially hidden and flush with the trim somewhere?

Does this "aftermarket" dangling-stuck-on look bother you?

Re: What's with the dumb stuck-on phone?

Bluetooth would have been a great solution. I have this on my 2004 Lexus LS430. Very handy. No phone hanging about in view.

Doesn't bother me, it bothers the passenger. Everybody was expecting bluetooth...

Quote:
    Everybody was expecting bluetooth...

Exactly, and its a great disappointment that it hasn't come. Maybe in the 997TT?

I think the phone handset is an option that you can add. I share with the rest of you on my disappointment about not having bluetooth.

Same here, I am disappointed about the bluetooth, but then again I been through this issue before with my 04 530i so the disappointment is not so bad this time around.

Yes, I have Bluetooth in my current car - fantastic being able to just keep the phone in your pocket but still pick up calls.

Still, I have gone for the phone option but without the naff extra handset (it's illegal to use one here in the UK anyway!)

How does the phone module work - do you have to request an extra sim card from your provider?

Quote:
    Raven said:
    Yes, I have Bluetooth in my current car - fantastic being able to just keep the phone in your pocket but still pick up calls.

Still, I have gone for the phone option but without the naff extra handset (it's illegal to use one here in the UK anyway!)

How does the phone module work - do you have to request an extra sim card from your provider?

I am curious about this myself. In the brochure it briefly describes Porsche's Cell Solution which you can dock your cell phone in for hands free use. It states that it doesn't require the purchase of a second phone and also doesn't lock you in to only a specific type of phone. It also goes on to mention that if you ever change phones, that the docking unit is detachable and you can swap it out.

I wonder if this "docking unit" would go where the handset cradle is?

Have never read about this in the UK brochure. Anyone know if this is available here?

Quote:
    Basalt said:
    Have never read about this in the UK brochure. Anyone know if this is available here?

The phone module is retrofittable, it contains a GSM 900/1800 double band phone which does not work in the US, Japan and some other countries, for example in South America.
    The phone module provides a TX power of 8 Watts, this is four times the power of the most powerful GSM cellular hand phone. It works pretty well and it is installed invisible.
    The SIM card can be easily inserted into a small compartment in the front of the PCM system. A second SIM card is not needed if you're willing to exchange SIM cards from your cellular phone to the PCM phone all the time but it is highly recommended to get a second SIM card because it makes the whole thing much easier.

The handpiece is not really needed but provides additional comfort to the co-passenger and maybe to the driver for confidential phone calls. I never expected Bluetooth from Porsche because they're not implementing such "gimmicks" easily to their cars as other car makers do. Bluetooth isn't 100% safe, so it might never come to a Porsche car, especially since the new findings about Bluetooth sniffing over the past few weeks.
    Instead of Bluetooth, I'm still waiting for a MP3 player or at least MP3 capability of the installed CD-drive or CD-changer. Hopefully Porsche does something about it because I really hate it to always have to take my CDs with me.

Quote:
    Basalt said:

This cradle system is basically intended for markets where the GSM 900/1800 MHz cell systems are not available.

You don't really need it in the UK, because you can use a GSM chip card in the hands-free phone module available for PCM.

The additional passive handset is, as RC said, an additional option for use by the passenger or when stationary. I've had them in my Porsches since PCM was introduced, and never found it to be intrusive, even when I am the passenger!

I believe GSM has arrived in America:

GSM National Plans

I'm with you on the desire for the CD player to play MP3 files. You could burn one CD from your iPod and have 10 hours of music - I would actually prefer this to moving the iPod around (although at some point this might be a solution:)

ICELink for iPod

The six CD's in the trunk was cool about 10 years ago.

The ICELink for Porsche is still a future item. Suprised it took so long to develop since the MOST bus Porsche uses now is supported or will be by most German car manufacturers.

I heard GSM in North America is 1900MHz, is the PCM phone module compatible with this or only 900/1800MHz systems?

All I really want is what Apple and BMW have developed for the U.S market, whereby you plug in your iPod into the glovebox and it is hooked up and ready to go without any unsightly cables.

Quote:
    FutureOwner said:
    I heard GSM in North America is 1900MHz, is the PCM phone module compatible with this or only 900/1800MHz systems?

FutureOwner / SeatleUSA,

GSM has indeed arrived in USA, but on 1900 MHz frequency. PCM telephone module is only laid out for the two frequencies used in most other parts of the world, 900 and 1800 MHz.

You'd think those people would get their act together and agree on world-wide standards wouldn't you?

This is just as dumb and wasteful as non-uniform standards for safety and exhaust-gas emissions between USA and Rest-of-World markets.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    This is just as dumb and wasteful as non-uniform standards for safety and exhaust-gas emissions between USA and Rest-of-World markets.

Actually, it was California that led the emissions requirements. So it was California the strictest, followed by the 49 States and then ROW. Glad the ROW has finally caught up.

But I do remember how it was before on smoggy days and your eyes would burn and it was hard to breathe. California had to act or Porsche would have lost it largest market outside of Germany because all its current and future owners would have passed on already.

I have a T-Mobile Sony Ericsson T610 with Bluetooth that operates on 1900, 1800 and 900 MHz) It works perfectly with the Bluetooth handsfree system on my Lexus LS430. I don't know, however, on which of these frequencies the T-Mobile system operates in the USA. It may only be 1900 MHz as you indicate, Fritz.

Quote:
    DD694 said:
    I have a T-Mobile Sony Ericsson T610 with Bluetooth that operates on 1900, 1800 and 900 MHz) It works perfectly with the Bluetooth handsfree system on my Lexus LS430. I don't know, however, on which of these frequencies the T-Mobile system operates in the USA. It may only be 1900 MHz as you indicate, Fritz.

There are many phones available in the USA called world phones. They are tri-band phones which will work here and many other countries. My daughter was in China earlier this summer with her AT&T phone and I was able to call her on her local US number and also text message her there.

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:

Actually, it was California that led the emissions requirements. So it was California the strictest, followed by the 49 States and then ROW. Glad the ROW has finally caught up.

But I do remember how it was before on smoggy days and your eyes would burn and it was hard to breathe. California had to act or Porsche would have lost it largest market outside of Germany because all its current and future owners would have passed on already.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining about more stringent safety or emissions requirements.
    I'm just complaining about the fact that in an age of instant communication they cannot be better coordinated.
    It's just so wasteful when manufacturers have to develop their products to comply with different (possibly even conflicting) legislative requirements or national standards if they are to be sold world-wide, instead of the legislators putting their heads together to agree on uniform requirements.

Quote:
    DD694 said:

The American (German owned) T-Mobile service provider GSM network works on 1900 MHz. European networks, including the T-Mobile service provider, work on 900 or 1800 MHz. The PCM tel. module is laid out only for 900 and 1800 MHz, so does not work in the USA.

My personal hand-held mobile phone is tri-band, so works in most parts of the USA - maybe even everywhere in the USA by now.

I can understand using multiple frequencies to increase "traffic" capacity. I cannot understand using different frequencies in different parts of the world, leading to hardware incompatibility. Looks like a case of hidden market protectionism.

I own a Quad-band phone, Sharp GX-30, owned another quad-band phone before, the Motorola V600 but passed it to my wife because of the bad picture quality of the camera.
    Yes, I take some snapshots from time to time because I need them for personal analysis but I also take snapshots of my kids if the situation "requires" it.

The quad-band phone works on GSM 1900, 1800, 900 and 850.
    It is really a great thing to have, especially in South America where a lot of phone providers switched to the 850 band due to cost. Same in the US, more and more communications companies use the 850 band for GSM services.
    Still waiting for a penta-band phone including Japan and I'm a happy guy. Just kidding...

BTW: many of you might not know that the Carrera GT has a standard tri-band phone installed, it works also in the US on GSM 1900. I wonder why this isn't possible with the PCM system. Actually I wonder about many things...the 6-CD changer looks to be the same since I had my 993.
    Of course they adapted a few things but at least they could offer a 10-CD changer or one incl. MP3 capability.
    Today I found out that the PCM system on my 997 S shows CD-Text. Wow, what an improvement. And even better: even copy protected Audio-CDs work flawlessly, they gave me a lot of headache in my wife's SLK 32 and in the ML55.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688691 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408755 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255552 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234810 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65401 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857627 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773465 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM