Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 996 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Should I stay or should I go?

Quote:
    nberry said:

Whether you like or not many people will look at the 997 as being nothing more than an updated 993 a 10 year old car. AND that is precisely what it is.

BTW the 360 is not a high maintenance vehicle. If compared to a 996 out of warranty it probably would cost much less.

Why would the 997 be more of an updated 993 than the 996 since what's under the skin continues to progress? It's a beautiful and stunning car, very modern and quick. Try and keep up with the Carrera S in a 360. BTW how on earth did you come to the conclusion that a 360 is a lower maintenance vehicle than a 996? Even if it didn't break more (which I can't imagine that it doesn't) aren't the labor costs around double what they are on a Porsche? How many miles do you have on your Ferrari? Must not be many since you constantly brag about its resale value. What's the point of a car you don't drive? You should possibility remove the drivetrain entirely and store the body as a museum piece. Less maintenance and less weight that way.

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Dedam,

why don't you just keep the car? How many KMs do you have on the clock by now?

If you want to we can switch cars - mine is way more comfortable and it is even exclusive!

Which direction from Zandvoort? Haarlem?

South of Zandvoort a toeristplace called Noordwijk
    60000km on the speedo.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Whether you like or not many people will look at the 997 as being nothing more than an updated 993 a 10 year old car. AND that is precisely what it is.

If you're right with your statement (which I tried to ignore because you sound like a virgin talking about sex ), this would put Ferrari to shame. How can a 10 year old car outrun almost every current Ferrari model?
    Oh forgot, Fiat. Have you ever wondered why Italians prefer Porsche over Ferrari? Do you know what a Fiat is, Nick?!

But to on a more "intellectual" level: how can you comment on a car you never saw in person and you never drove?
    Honestly Nick, a while ago I thought you're just enjoying teasing Porsche owners but the more I think and analyze your posts, the more I come to the conclusion that it must be something pathological from a medical point of view.

The 993 and 997 don't have anything in common, the body looks completely different (talking about seing the 997 live) and the only thing both cars might have in common is the flat-six design engine (not the engine itself) and the rear wheel drive. Maybe the sound too.
    Your comments are ridiculous because they're founded on your weird personal understanding that a car has always to have a completely new spectacular design.
    But the success of the 911 is based on continuity, this is the last of a few of "classic" cars which made it to the 21st century. And furthermore, the 911 is a car which has been somehow socially "accepted", especially over here in Germany and Europe, something very important to people who don't live in Beverly Hills and who have to be cautious not to show off too much to avoid provoking customers and other people. Not to speak about the great daily driver capabilities due to reliability and driveability.

You've made your point, you're looking for looks and not performance, we already understood that. You don't have to repeat the same thing again and again just using different words and commentaries.
    You don't like the 911? So what? I'm not sure I like you and do you see me bragging and talking about you all day long, day after day, week after week? Get a life, Nick. You have a serious problem and we won't accept this provoking behaviour anymore.

You had your first and second warning shots, the third one won't miss. Promise.

The retired designed of Porsche has in effect admitted that despite all the evolutionary pronouncements about the 996 the car was basically a fraud (my term). The engineers could not do what they wanted because of cost issues and interference from upper management.

He now claims that the 997 is returning to the true Porsche heritage of the 993. Yes the 997 is build upon the 993 whether you want to admit it. To say you have to see it in person to appreciate the differences rings hollow.

Regarding my negative posts how am I different from you in your postitve posts? If this site is designed to be a love fest for Porsche so be it. Its your site and you set the rules.

Thanks Dedam!

Been a while since beeing in Noordwijk myself.

How much km can someone go on a GT3 engine? I suspect the turbo might be stressed higher due to forced induction, but it has a much lower rev limit, doesn't it?

Quote:
    nberry said:

The retired designed of Porsche has in effect admitted that despite all the evolutionary pronouncements about the 996 the car was basically a fraud (my term). The engineers could not do what they wanted because of cost issues and interference from upper management.

He now claims that the 997 is returning to the true Porsche heritage of the 993. Yes the 997 is build upon the 993 whether you want to admit it. To say you have to see it in person to appreciate the differences rings hollow.

Regarding my negative posts how am I different from you in your postitve posts? If this site is designed to be a love fest for Porsche so be it. Its your site and you set the rules.

Does ANYBODY care what he is saying? Nick, I honestly feel pity for you. How can someone tell so much bulls#*t?
    Are you on some kind of psychological experiment on this forum?

To everybody else (Nick, please don't even comment on that one):
    The 997's design is indeed using 993 styling cues. Harm Lagaay indeed preferred the first 996 theme, resembling "fried eggs" to many people. It was a very progressive attempt on the 911 styling - much more than the turn-back to single headlights and separate indicators/foglights.
    Especially these particular items are the ones I dislike the most on the new model, it is neiter spectacular, nor unique nor perfectly blended into the front - but it was the customers that were looking for something more traditional!

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Does ANYBODY care what he is saying? Nick, I honestly feel pity for you. How can someone tell so much bulls#*t?
    Are you on some kind of psychological experiment on this forum?

To everybody else Nick, please don't even comment on that one):
    The 997's design is indeed using 993 styling cues. Harm Lagaay indeed preferred the first 996 theme, resembling "fried eggs" to many people. Indeed it is a very progressive attempt on the 911 styling - much more than the turn-back to single headlights and separate indicators/foglights. Especially the last items are the ones I dislike the most on the new model, it is neiter spectacular, nor unique nor perfectly blended into the front - in my very personal opinion. Waiting for others!

Today somethink strange happend at my dealer
    I was there for a few hours.
    In the showroom 4 new Porsches
    -997S
    -9964S cab
    -996turbo cab
    -996 4S
    To my suprice I noticed that 80% off the people walking in where first looking to the 996Turbo cab and the 996 4S cab
    Most off them where surpriced and not impressed by the 997 looks because the 997 has not the looks from the widebody 996 models.
    ???????????????
    I remember the same when the 996 in introduced after the 993turbo and 993 4S
    And now after 7 years the 993turbo and 993 4S still very beloved and more expensif them lots off 996's
    Plaese correct me if I am wrong

Quote:
    dedam said:
    Today somethink strange happend at my dealer
    I was there for a few hours.
    In the showroom 4 new Porsches
    -997S
    -9964S cab
    -996turbo cab
    -996 4S
    To my suprice I noticed that 80% off the people walking in where first looking to the 996Turbo cab and the 996 4S cab
    Most off them where surpriced and not impressed by the 997 looks because the 997 has not the looks from the widebody 996 models.
    ???????????????
    I remember the same when the 996 in introduced after the 993turbo and 993 4S
    And now after 7 years the 993turbo and 993 4S still very beloved and more expensif them lots off 996's
    Plaese correct me if I am wrong

You're right about the popularity of the widebody 993's at the end of their productioncycle (allthough personally I still prefer the regular 993). Their relatively high resale value is caused by the quality of the early 996's and the already dating design of the pre-facelift 996 compared with the modern-classic status of the 993. People considering a 993 now don't look at early 996's they want the last version of the classic 911. I don't think the special 996's will ever get that iconic status; the normal 996 surely not.
    Maybe the visitors were looking for a convertible it's still summertime

Quote:
    nberry said:If this site is designed to be a love fest for Porsche so be it. Its your site and you set the rules.

My impression is that this is a site for Porsche enthusiasts - that means people with a real passion for their Porsche's, but the objectivity to discuss (not sling mud and insults)the vehicle's downsides. You clearly do not fit this description. I said a week or so that you were about to have a relapse, and here you are again in fully fledged negativity and ranting mode.

Quote:
    RC said
    You had your first and second warning shots, the third one won't miss. Promise.

I think we have the "three strikes and out point right now." Time to act

Quote:
    nberry said:

If you talk to any car-enthusiast development engineer in any car company anywhere in the world, he will complain about the restraints put on his work by the bean-counters. So what's new about that?

Quote:
    nberry said:

Do you know the difference between heritage and hardware? Does Ferrari disregard its heritage with every new model introduced?

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Regarding my negative posts how am I different from you in your positive posts? If this site is designed to be a love fest for Porsche so be it. Its your site and you set the rules.

I don't think I've ever agreed with nberry. I don't think his view on cars in general is a good one. In fact sometimes I think he represents a lot of what is wrong with many "exclusive" car owners and reminds me of the creepy sleaze ball feeling I get when I go to certain Ferrari dealers. However, I don't think he's alone in his ranting, which I don't think is good, but it means that he does represent a facet of opinion on these cars.

Frankly I think it's a bit childish to be offended by his posts, especially if you believe that they contain little reality. You can choose to ignore him, argue with him, or provide a different viewpoint to the members reading his posts. This isn't a case of someone being vulgar or especially rude. An unpopular opinion shouldn't be silenced, even if it's considered insane, annoying, or a bit disrespectful. It would be a shame if he couldn't speak his mind.

Think about this: What proves him more wrong? Tearing down all his arguments with logical responses or silencing him because his opinion is "offensive and negative"?

Quote:
    nberry said:

BTW the 360 is not a high maintenance vehicle. If compared to a 996 out of warranty it probably would cost much less.

this phrase showed me just how little logic and credibility you have,kinda weird for a lawyer...so i dont need to argue with you anymore...

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

this phrase showed me just how little logic and credibility you have,kinda weird for a lawyer...so i dont need to argue with you anymore...

I was thinking the same thing

I decided to go for the 997 sealgray PASM in wait for the 997 widebody in 2 years.
    Not the 997S because I do not go to the track anymore.
    Looks like the same decision like RC

Great decision dedam, congratulations!

When do you get your car?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760068 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434039 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259851 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256992 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80645 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5309 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870922 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806032 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM