Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Rennline Lifter: Help for PCCB's Heel-Toe Problem

More toy for my treasured baby!

My only disappointment with the fabulous PCCB brake is that its high/early "bite" position make it very difficult to heel toe. I heel toe with the sides of my foot and this method requires that the heights of the gas and brake pedal to be close to each other. In my first 997 with its standard brake, there was no problem. With the Turbo's PCCB, the brake pedal is too high in relation to the gas pedal when it bites, for me that is, and makes the process nearly impossible.
    (BTW, there have been discussions of this issue in the past and it appears that the only exception is at the track, where the PCCB brake once warmed up would bite deeper and allows easy heel-toe.)

Rennline is a US company that makes these cool aluminum after-market pedal plates/covers. They sell them in set of 4, for a very reasonable US $ 225. What I am interested in, however, is the OPTION that they offer in addition to this set: the throttle lifter that AFAIK is designed to help with the very problem I have with heel-toeing with PCCB brake. The lifter has adjustable screw that allows you to RAISE the height of the throttle pedal plate. I saw this in Atomic80's & "Over the hill" (Larry)'s cars a few months ago and finally decided to give it a try when someone again recommends it on rennlist.
    ****** http://www.rennline.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PA71 *****

Enclosed is a picture of the set in aluminum finish. I prefer something more inconspicuous so I got the black model instead.
    I will give final report in a few days, but "early result" is extremely promising!

Re: Rennline Lifter: Help for PCCB's Heel-Toe Prob

Picture of my set. I hope the quality of the set is obvious from the picture; they are very, very well made and in particular the 2 aluminum red pieces look good and feel (LOL) good. I got the black color for two reasons: one, I prefer something more inconspicuous and two, for now I don't plan to install all 4 pedals in mine; am just going to change the throttle plate and keeps the other ones stock. Actually there is one more reason, in addition to the throttle lifter option, I also bought the throttle *extension* option (those red things) and thought that red against black down there in the well is ABSOLUTELY FAB.

As installed in my car. It took me about 45 minutes, maybe even an hour, even though all that requires is the drilling of 5 holes and some screwing of things together. But... I have good excuses! I don't do this for a living, and I do have a (VERY VERY mild) "issue" with OCD.

So yes, you do have to drill into your beloved baby's gas pedal. Part of the reason I got black; it fits in better in case I don't want to install the other 3 pedal plates. "It hurts me to drill more holes into her."

wow ! , this is definately a great mod to get !!!!!

Never thought of a gas pedal with that design, it has to be the perfect thing to practice heal&toe!!!, those track maniacs must have this !!!

keep us posted on how it performs, looking from the pics, looks a GREAT idea !!!

Very interesting, thanks Cannga.is it possible to install the lifter under the oem pedal?

Nice write up Cannga, I could really use a set of these. Please provide a review after the test drive.

I just ordered the black gas pedal with red extenders, thanks man, just what I needed.

AK997TT,
    So far, works as advertised and makes the action silky smooth and SO MUCH easier. My main fear of tangling or catching the enlarged & elevated gas pedal did not materialize; not even close. This looks to be a great buy. I should stress again those red extenders look FABULOUS against the black pedal.

Alcyon,
    I'll post pictures later on but no, it has to go above the OEM pedal. There are two parts, the platform that gets screwed on to the OEM pedal, then the lifter with its adjustable height screws go on to the platform.

Chris,
    I don't know the height of the regular brake's bite in relation to the gas pedal, so do report your experience. If not the height lift, at least the pedal extender should help.

I've not read any complaint from other users re. this mod, so it looks to be a great & safe one.
    Isn't it so much fun to own a Porsche? So many toys, so little time, and so many other Porsche nuts to share your experience with.

First step: drill holes on OEM pedal.

Second step: Platform goes on OEM pedal and screwed into place. In the next step, the Rennline pedal would then be screwed into this platform, onto those 3 silver holes.

Thanks again for the pics.

Can, I see you finally bit some of the bullet. Why not just do the whole thing and get it over with.:) My only angst was having to cover my $250 optional Porsche dead peddle with Rennline peddle.

I'm surprised by the favorable responses here. When I posted pictures last winter of my installation I got a bunch of pooh pooh responses. I didn't install the optional extender plates, because I have EEEE wide feet.

After several driving schools (in school cars, not mine) I found that the proper positioning of the foot mitigates much of the heel/toe "reach" problem. The Rennline pedals just make it a lot easier for a lazy driver (me) to do the throttle blips. Count me as a very satisfied customer.

BTW Atomic hasn't installed these on his car yet.

Larry

The black pedals look way better imo. I might try and just add the extenders to my stock pedal........

That's correct, I have no plans to install these in my car. I'm happy with the stock pedals and as Larry pointed out, don't want to cover my $250 aluminum dead pedal either.

Quote:
    Over the Hill said:
    I'm surprised by the favorable responses here. When I posted pictures last winter of my installation I got a bunch of pooh pooh responses.

Larry,

Sorry what can I say; I am just a smoother-talking Porschenut I guess?
    And sorry I made the assumption, the 2 cars *seemed* so identical in many other aspects!

Re. the dead pedal, I have not installed it in my car either, but for a different reason. Doing so would RAISE the surface of the dead pedal about what, 3-5mm? Enough that I am afraid it *may* upset the very great fit of my left leg at rest currently. i.e. My left leg may have to bend back a little more from its current perfect position and I don't want to take a chance. I am afraid of upsetting the current very very fine harmony I have with my fine Turbo. (Am only HALF kidding; I am one of "those" who adjust the seat position 1/2 mm at a time.)

My last 10 freeway exits have been executed with perfect heel-toe techniques , and I've not committed an "Audi 5000" maneuver yet, so yes, the very high recommendation stays. It does make mundane driving a bit more fun!

Doesn't having the uneven types of pedals bother you at all? I know that it would drive me crazy having a black dead pedal, two metal pedals and another black pedal. Seems to be unharmonic.

Found a Rennline reseller here in the UK so I am going to order the 3 pedal set.  

Thinking of silver and red, with the lifter on the throttle:

--

Click for bigger picture!

I got the black/red combo, did all pedals and dead pedal.  I had another company's silver pedals but I like the black so much better.  I also did the gas pedal "lift job" but I cheaped out and just put a properly shaped piece of 1X3 lumber between OEM pedal and the Rennline unit.  This lifts the pedal out by 3/4"

I find it really does help with heel/toe.

And then I got an '05 GT3 to use on the track, steelies.  The brake feel is def different than the PCCBs - may or may not need the pedal extenders.

I've seen both, and they both look very nice, with the silver one stand out quite a bit more. The silver one I saw on a Ruf Turbo, wonder what kit they use. There is a recent thread on 6speed on this mod, and to my surprise a number of people have installed them. As an addendum to this mod: I've found that the key to this kit is actually not the lifter, but the extender -- the 2 red pieces. I end up using only the extender currently, and the heel-toe assist function continues to be fantastic.
    --

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein PSS10 (Review) + Cargraphic Exhaust (Heavenly Race Car Noise Smiley Review)

I'm also an extremely happy customer of Rennline (in fact I found Rennteam during a search for Rennline!!).  I actually removed the top red extender on the throttle pedal as it would interfere with my pressing the brake pedal (not safe!!).  I ordered the aluminium coloured throttle pedal and lifter, and it not only looks nice, but it has completely perfected the hell&toe position.  I would totally recommend the lifter and pedal.

My new pedals come sometime this morning... I am so excited...

Given the drilling required though I am unsure if I will get time to fit them today.  Might have to wait until the weekend.

--

Just make sure that you can still fully apply the throttle after installing the new pedals Smiley

MKSGR:
    Just make sure that you can still fully apply the throttle after installing the new pedals Smiley

Too right!!!  I wouldn't want to be slower than a GT2 smiley00034.gif

--

Yipeee...

--

Can

Thanks for the great post with pics.  I think I need ask Santa for this pedal set, esp with the 15% off!

Has anyone installed the metal floorplate as well?

BH, you're more than welcome. Anything goes for our "Turbo baby"! (Man do you have to use that screen name; I feel awkward using your full name. Like we are arguing or something.  LOL)

Again I very highly recommend the pedal extension. I think I now heel and toe like WR. Smiley Kidding aside, it does make heel & toe a walk in the park. Perfectly executed every time; it feels REAL good.

BTW, anyone who installs these pedals please check to make sure the screws used for installations are not too long and do not protrude out the back side and impinge on the structures BEHIND the gas pedalSmiley
    Problem first observed by an extremely perceptive & careful Turbo owner (Alex Smiley), and was a result of screws being too long, allegedly with only the first batch. But never hurt to check.

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein Damptronic ( Review ) + GIAC ECU Tune ( Fast as a torpedo & reversible to stock - Review ) + Cargraphic Exhaust ( Oh heavenly noise! )

Haha. No prob, Can. I've been called much worse things than a BH;)

I broke down right after I made this post and ordered the whole shebang.  4 piece pedal kit, extensions and driver and passenger floorplates.  I dread the thought of drilling into the stock pedals, but guess I gotta do what I gotta do:)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764754 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436773 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261165 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258065 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82701 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877113 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809259 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM