Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New Touch Screen PCM

Worst thing that can happened to the 911 is the new touch screen pcm, one has to take their eyes off the road in order to use the touch screen, there is no physical boundaries defining functions/buttons and very easily the wrong function is selected, which is exactly what most of my Lexus owning friends complaint about. With the old button setup, there is no need to look, all the functions can be done by feel.

Why Porsche went backwards on the PCM is beyond me.

Re: New Touch Screen PCM

+1

And the fingerprints would drive me crazy

Guys, I was yesterday at the facelift presentation. The new PCM is 2 steps in the right direction. Good navigation, lots of functions and personalization options. I am not that fan of touchscreen either and the fingerprints would drive me mad too...though you can switch the touchability of and just steer thru PCM by wheel (as before)

Look at it this way. Current unit has crappy "beta" software.

It is soooo bad, so non-intuitive and non-user friendly that it was like Porsche had no choice but to slap in in the car to make the introduction deadline on 2005.

ANY update, including one with touch screen hardware has GOT to be better.

Matter of fact it's embarrassing that there's no FREE update, or even a pricey update for current "beta" PCM.

Quote:
    imcarnuts said:
    +1

ditto. My mom has a touch screen in her Lexus & when off it looks like two little kids just had breakfast on it.

Whenever I have had touch-screen NAV in a vehicle, I just keep a small microfiber towel handy in the glove box or center console It's not the greatest solution, but it keeps things looking neat.

Agree with MMD.

Quote:
    Eaglejackson said:
    Agree with MMD.

Thanks. It's just common sense.

Now..., if I could just keep my mouth shut on certain subjects... .

Sorry fellas.

If you have finger smudge problem with any touchscreen, a good solution is those plastic screen protectors, available for both Lexus and multiple other cars on ebay. In my experience: no noticeable reduction of brightness and the plastic layer COMPLETELY eliminates finger smudge problem. (Similar concept to a clear bra reducing finger smudge on the hood.)

If you are using a properly designed hard-disc based touchscreen navigation system like the Garmin Nuvi, my experience indicates you will never want to go back to a non touchscreen unit again. (I have a Lexus also, in comparison to the Nuvi, the Lexus DVD based system is not very good due to the slow response time. Possibly a result of the need to read the DVD everytime you enter data.)

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    imcarnuts said:
    +1

ditto. My mom has a touch screen in her Lexus & when off it looks like two little kids just had breakfast on it.

Well, with the PCM3 there is no need to switch it off to make it look like that

OMG!!!!!! those greasy finger prints is gonna drive me crazy. I will be spending most of my time wiping those prints off than driving the damn car.

Using a plastic screen protector or keeping a microfiber towel handy means this PCM design has failed utterly and it's rubbish and needs a immediate redesign.

While we are trashing the Lexus screen, another major defect is that the screen completely locks out when driving, which means it's completely useless because one has to stop in order to change anything. I sure hope the Porsche system is not that stupid.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    If you have finger smudge problem with any touchscreen, a good solution is those plastic screen protectors, available for both Lexus and multiple other cars on ebay. In my experience: no noticeable reduction of brightness and the plastic layer COMPLETELY eliminates finger smudge problem. (Similar concept to a clear bra reducing finger smudge on the hood.)

If you are using a properly designed hard-disc based touchscreen navigation system like the Garmin Nuvi, my experience indicates you will never want to go back to a non touchscreen unit again. (I have a Lexus also, in comparison to the Nuvi, the Lexus DVD based system is not very good due to the slow response time. Possibly a result of the need to read the DVD everytime you enter data.)

That's a great idea! I use those types of protectors on everything from my iphone to my Camera, why didnt I think of that. Thanks!

What I did was use that plastic film that comes with the car when they ship the car. I just asked my dealership to save me one from an incoming car. Fits perfectly. Free too.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    What I did was use that plastic film that comes with the car when they ship the car. I just asked my dealership to save me one from an incoming car. Fits perfectly. Free too.

I had that on my 99 S cab but left it w/ the car when I traded it in. I shoulda taken it. Not sure what happened to the one for my Turbo, probably was removed by my detailing guys when first delivered.

Check out stuff like this:

http://www.nushield.com/index.php?source=google34&gclid=CPyIr4ujrpQCFSQdagodqxm5uA

BTW, has anyone seen the new PCM? Perhaps Porsche has utilized the latest anti-glare, anti-finger-print-showing material. I think I've seen such stuff; it's kind of matt patterned.

The stuff in link above supposedly doesn't how fingerprints.

BTW, maybe it'll be a situation where you only see the fingerprints if you intentionally seek them out.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    atomic80 said:

I had that on my 99 S cab but left it w/ the car when I traded it in. I shoulda taken it. Not sure what happened to the one for my Turbo, probably was removed by my detailing guys when first delivered.

Ask your dealership to get you another one. They get plenty of those with new incoming cars.

MMD: see the pic posted by ewi, that new PCM's screen ticks me off so badly that I really want to jump into my computer to wipe it clean of fingerprints.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    BTW, has anyone seen the new PCM? Perhaps Porsche has utilized the latest anti-glare, anti-finger-print-showing material.

The above picture is a real life PCM3 picture taken by me. If you change into other menus without black background it's not that visible. But as soon as there are larger black background parts visible the fingerprints stick out.

I like the look of the old PCM a lot better!!!

Gregg,

You are welcome.
    For anyone with Lexus, I even got the work-around to automatically bypass that irritating "I Agree" button, **AND** a way to enter navigation data while the car is moving. It costs IIRC around 150 and takes literally 30 seconds to install. Between this work-around and the screen protector, no more Lexus navigation problem!

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    That's a great idea! I use those types of protectors on everything from my iphone to my Camera, why didnt I think of that. Thanks!

Jason,

So that plastic piece is for the dealer to install on every car? My car should have come *installed* with the plastic protector?

Do the dealers have many extra ones to give? Or is it one per car? TIA.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:

Quote:
    rhino said:
    I like the look of the old PCM a lot better!!!

I dunno..., I'm glad that the new unit is _symmetrical_ and fewer GD buttons. The asymmetry of old unit made it look cop-car-functional and unbalanced which is bad (looks unthought out) in a GT "luxury" interior, IMO.

Bad photo comp but better than nothing:

I guess I have gotten so used to the layout with the number pad that I am a little jaded I do like all the added features; minus the touch screen.

I guess if you are Porsche, you just cannot win.

Half the audience is yelling at you that there are too many buttons and the dash is cluttered, then the other half yells at your solution saying its crap with a touch screen and you should bring back the 20 or so hard buttons you removed.

Half the audience is yelling at you for making so few design changes in the car, that they keep looking the same, then the other half yells at you because you changed the tail lights to add a small curve on the bottom and that just blows their whole view of what a 911 should be.

Porsche cannot win. Sheesh, I'm glad they don't listen to us whiners, otherwise they would have to shoot themselves.

Re: I guess if you are Porsche, you just cannot wi

Actually, Porsche only took out ONE button out if one discount the 12-key numeric keypad. 31 in the old one and 18 in the new one.

The asymmetric was because of Porsche's lefthand-drive bias, they think UK cars are an afterthought :P just kidding.

Quote:
    Minok said:

Porsche cannot win. Sheesh, I'm glad they don't listen to us whiners, otherwise they would have to shoot themselves.

Have a drink Buddy. Relax. Ahhhhh... .

There are wayyyyy more things I like about the cars than don't like which is probably true of everybody here. I'm sure the marketing department is listening and very interested in everybody's reactions here too. From that, Porsche sets it's own path. I think Porsche is winning.

OT: For Lexus owners with questions about what I posted above: automatically bypass the "I Agree" and be able to enter address while the car is moving.

The site is Coastaletech http://www.coastaletech.com . I have no affiliation and there might be cheaper or even free solution, etc., etc. This one works for me and costs about $100-$150.
    I believe I bought the Basic Lockpick 1 (sorry it's been awhile): http://www.coastaletech.com/BASIC_LOCKPICK.htm
    It works as advertised and literally takes 5 minutes to install. It is a thin device about half the size of your credit card that snaps in-line with a cable to the navigation control, which in my Lexus GX470 is under the front passenger seat.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Minok said:

Have a drink Buddy. Relax. Ahhhhh... .

There are wayyyyy more things I like about the cars than don't like which is probably true of everybody here. I'm sure the marketing department is listening and very interested in everybody's reactions here too. From that, Porsche sets it's own path. I think Porsche is winning.

Tis true.

Plus, if the 'voice control' functionality works well enough, its a non-issue. (one hopes)

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Jason,

So that plastic piece is for the dealer to install on every car? My car should have come *installed* with the plastic protector?

Quote:
    atomic80 said:

I should clarify. Porsche puts this plastic film on ALL cars with the PCM that comes out of the factory as a way to protect the screen during shipment. The dealership removes this film and throws it away. Just ask them to save one for you from a brand new incoming car. Make sense now?

Thanks Jason.
    OTOH, look what I found (ebay DOES have everything!): http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkwZporscheQ20screenQ20protectorQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZR40QQ_mdoZ

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Quote:
    cannga said:
    Jason,

Quote:
    atomic80 said:

I should clarify. Porsche puts this plastic film on ALL cars with the PCM that comes out of the factory as a way to protect the screen during shipment. The dealership removes this film and throws it away. Just ask them to save one for you from a brand new incoming car. Make sense now?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803836 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448699 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266295 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90150 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6721 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886019 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834050 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM