Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: John Elkann replaces Sergio Marchionne...

Leawood911:

RIP

I’m sorry to hear about your Dad RC. Mine is now 86 and I can hear confusion in his voice and see it when we skype. Even if it is just old age. Will be on the Costa Del Sol next week for a visit to his summer place and to spend as much time as possible. Life is short. 

my father will be 90 in three months. he was great until two months ago, when he started to forget the immediate past (from 5 min ago to three weeks ago). more precisely, he is still fine, having beers with friends, joking around and all that, but my mom doesn't take it lightly - she is too intelligent and too intellectual for this. old age is tough......for oneself and/or for those around....

sfo:

life is fragile ..

one of the reasons I have gone for voluntary redundancy in Oct 2018

Congrats!  I think opting for time over money makes sense if possible Smiley

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:
    sfo:

life is fragile ..

Congrats!  I think opting for time over money makes sense if possible Smiley

+1

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

sfo:

life is fragile ..

Congrats! Enjoying mine now indecision

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

RIP

bluelines:
    sfo:

life is fragile ..

Congrats! Enjoying mine now indecision

Smiley I am looking forward to join you guys in 9 months from now Smiley @ bluelines: tons of time at hand for the Green Hell then...

RIP Sergio - he's done a tough job in saving FIAT from gowing down the drain, too bad he cannot enjoy leading the company towards a future sustainable business model anymore Smiley

--

Daily Driver 991 Carrera T (June 2018), Canyon Carver 981 Spyder, Track Machine 997 GT3

it's the usual conundrum ..

enough money, not enough time

enough time, not enough money

so, simplify life and make it less expensive, plus 1 year's pay on leaving really helps indecision

the black sweater guy will be missed! RIP

sfo:

life is fragile ..

Life is fragile indeed...

But living drinking tons of expressos every day, smoking cigarettes over cigarettes and waking up every morning at 3:30 after only a few hours of sleep doesn't really help. If the media these days praise this approach to work, this was obviously not a model regime and there are lessons to learn from this sad end...

--

Nicolas
    2016 991 Carrera 4 GTS PDK

Since when is coffee not healthy? I drink TONS of coffee on a daily basis but of course I never had high blood pressure in the first place. Sleeping is overrated as well, I sleep 5-6 hours a night but like a baby (a nuclear war could start and I wouldn't notice 😛).

Genetics is 70%, the rest a mixture of lifestyle, luck and...fate.

Cheers. 😎

Btw: I never drank alcohol, never smoked or took drugs and I never ate vegetables or fruit, no kidding. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

Thats poor advice isnt it?

Thing is you dont actually know what genetics you have, many problems arise suddently or without enough warning, or slowly but by the time the first signs appear, it too late. Cancer, cardivascular diaeases, dementias, and many others. And unless you are a clone you cannot bet on what genes you inherited and even less how the are expreased.

So the posture of I feel fine now therefore I'm fine or will continue to be fine is a huge mistake, smokers love to use it for example, its basically an excuse to avoid doing the right thing, for example not neglenting adequate sleep which researchers are finding how important sleep is to health and warn that sleep is actually very underrated, and linked to more problems than we though. And I admit that is one of my flaws, getting the enough sleep, though I do try.

Coffee can actually be healthy, but like everything, in moderation, coffee is a cns stimulant so too much can affect the balance of your stress hormones, your brains equilibrium, etc its also a diuretic so too much can lead to osteopenia on the long run for example. Also coffee is often not drank alone and if you take it with sugar than too much coffee can leas to too much refined sugar, with the caffeine potentiating its absorbtion speed leading to a higher glycemic index, and if you take it with artificial sweeteners that is even worse for your health.

But metabolic syndrome, osteopenia, anxiety, stress related MI, etc is not something you can predict based on how you feel today and hope for good genetics to help the odds. Both my grandfathers lived well into their 90's (one smoked) but Im not counting on anything, I try to do what I can now. 

So drinking too much coffee and not getting enough sleep is definitely not a healthy livestyle, no matter who, specially  because this is usually common in people with a high stress life, which is even worse which was probably the case of Marchionne.

--

RC:

Genetics is 70%

25% of the variation in human life span is determined by genetics.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4822264/

--

Carlos from Spain:

I don't think it was meant as advice Smiley

The absence of vegetables and fruit in a diet is beyond unhealthy. This is what the human body has evolved during million of years to get the majority of the nutrition from. Unprocessed, natural and raw foods.

RC you are on a slippery slope. At 50+ you should take better care of yourself and don't rely on your genetics to keep you healthy. As Carlos wrote, you don't know your genetics and your current state of health says nothing about tomorrow. So start eating vegetables and fruit, have a glass of red wine now and then. You will be much better off Smiley

--

RC:

I drink TONS of coffee.

never ate vegetables or fruit, no kidding. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

Smiley Smiley.....

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

bluelines:
    Carlos from Spain:

The absence of vegetables and fruit in a diet is beyond unhealthy. This is what the human body has evolved during million of years to get the majority of the nutrition from. Unprocessed, natural and raw foods.

RC you are on a slippery slope. At 50+ you should take better care of yourself and don't rely on your genetics to keep you healthy. As Carlos wrote, you don't know your genetics and your current state of health says nothing about tomorrow. So start eating vegetables and fruit, have a glass of red wine now and then. You will be much better off Smiley

Im sure he gets some veggies in, french fries and onion rings, those count as vegetables dont they?indecision

--

smiley

Especially if they are fried in vegetable oil  

--

Carlos from Spain:
    bluelines:
    Carlos from Spain:

Im sure he gets some veggies in, french fries and onion rings, those count as vegetables dont they?indecision

Of course,,, deep fat fried for sure followed by the RC Chaser ,,, coffee....Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Christian has posted before that he has never eaten vegetables. I don't know of a human being on this planet that has never tasted vegetables. I don't believe him. That being said, if I am mistaken then he is an idiot. His love for Cokes, coffee and protein are a sure recipe for an early demise.

Even more unbelievable is his wife a doctor allows this to occur in front of his children.mail

Christian, nothing to brag about.enlightened

--

Being adventurous can be risky but routine is lethal.

It was a figure of speech, he just means he doesnt eat them regularly, after all you cant avoid some degree of vegetables, they are in sandwiches, pizzas, fillings in different dishes, etc

--

Carlos from Spain:

It was a figure of speech, he just means he doesnt eat them regularly, after all you cant avoid some degree of vegetables, they are in sandwiches, pizzas, fillings in different dishes, etc

I think that counts as not eating vegetables indecision

--

Carlos, its at least the second time he has posted that claim. To emphasis the point he stated unequivocally that he wasn't "kidding" when he made the claim.Smiley

--

Being adventurous can be risky but routine is lethal.

Similar diet to mine though I enjoy veggies. RC and I are way too much alike. As I drink my coffee at 10:30 pm. 

RC:

Sleeping is overrated as well, I sleep 5-6 hours a night but like a baby (a nuclear war could start and I wouldn't notice 😛).

By coincidence there was a big article in the sunday paper today about the majority of Germans not getting enough sleep. Scientists recommend 7.5 hours minimum and they claim that with 6 hours sleep in a 10 days row reaction and decision making is similar to a person with 1 promille alc in his blood Smiley Obviously there are a lot of neccessary processes going on in the body during sleep and one simply can't accelerate these processes, hence a number of deficits occur if we don't sleep enough. I am not without faults in this department either but I am trying to do better...Interestingly the article mentions a couple of prominent persons claiming to be better off with 4-5 hours sleep only, because this way they think to be more productive than others (simply because they spend more time working). Seems to be a bad idea, if concentration and decisionmaking suffers. BTW one of the persons mentioned was Elon Musk Smiley

--

Daily Driver 991 Carrera T (June 2018), Canyon Carver 981 Spyder, Track Machine 997 GT3

There is an inherited disease that cause the person to not be able to sleep... they die within months.

Though adequate sleep varies slightly from person to person we are all humans, and while you may get by sleeping less and feel more or less OK, its still going to have a toll on the long run.

Studies have ahown that sleeping less than 5 hours shortens you life expectancy, you grow older faster, and increases greatly the risk of cardiovacular disease. No matter how good you sleep, the brain needs to go through different successive cycles and needs enough time to do so, you can't sleep faster.

I have lots of discipline and will power for doing exercise, or don't have much problem in eating well and keeping other healthy lifestyle habbits but going to bed in time is my weakness, I always find a reason not to, and excuse. But I'm trying, and I'm at least getting 7 hours in. Keeping track with the watch's sleep monitoring helps you.

Fun fact I think, some mammals like dolphins and some seals, sleep with only half of their brain while the other half is alert, and then the other half sleeps so each side take turns during their sleep period.

--

Carlos from Spain:
    bluelines:
    Carlos from Spain:

I hate fried stuff...

--

bluelines:
    RC:

Genetics is 70%

25% of the variation in human life span is determined by genetics.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4822264/

"Family studies" and "longevity"...stopped reading.

I may have exaggerated with genetics but genetics is definetely not only 25%.

You may also have overlooked the "never drank alcohol", "never smoked", "never took drugs" and the "I hate fatty foods" (I may have actually forgotten that).

Carlos, my wife's former personal trainer is 60, he is from Ireland, he was a former body builder pro, MMA fighter, fit as hell...at least this is what I thought. Until he picked up his medicine. 😜 Looks can be deceiving. 

Oh..I even still have my hair... 😂

Two of my wife's friends who had recently breast cancer were the healthiest living persons I ever met. Another one, she has high blood pressure and her varicosis is extensive (poor woman, otherwise she looks amazing at age 49), is a former fitness pro, eats only vegan and takes some serious meds. 

I could give you many examples more since I meet with at least 30-50 patients a day, my wife with even more (we discuss a lot about our patients). Smoking, drinking (even casual one), drugs... already a 50% chance that you're going to have health issues at a certain age. 

--

RC:

Carlos, my wife's former personal trainer is 60, he is from Ireland, he was a former body builder pro, MMA fighter, fit as hell...at least this is what I thought. Until he picked up his medicine. 😜 Looks can be deceiving. 

body builder? that says it all... steroids, ridiculous protein amounts in the diet, extreme diet cycles before competitions, abuse of supplements (many untested), joint and spine abuse in the gym, and so on. They never age well even though some may look OK in the outside, its the stupidest thing I have ever seen. Then we go into MMA fighter... musculoeskeletal lesions that degenerate in old age, chronic traumatic encephalopathy (even from sparring), weight cuts, etc...

you wife's personal trainer may "look" fit, but as you said, looks can be deceiving, nothing in what you mentioned about him is healthy, quite the opposite, very unhealthy... some people are more focused on looks than actual health and old age is not likely going to be kind to him IMO.

Two of my wife's friends who had recently breast cancer were the healthiest living persons I ever met. Another one, she has high blood pressure and her varicosis is extensive (poor woman, otherwise she looks amazing at age 49), is a former fitness pro, eats only vegan and takes some serious meds. 

Breast cancer can have a high genetic component, you cannot control all the risk factors, only decrease your chances. I may be more fit than you are yet I could get pancreatic cancer tomorrow and not make it to next year. 80% of high blood pressure cases are idiopathic so again, healthy lifestyle doesn't mean you are going to be 100% healthy forever, just that you will be healthier and have better quality of life and for longer than if you don't.

As to the vegan part, well, that is not even the healthiest diet, humans are not a vegan species by nature or evolution,  so its going to take you much more effort (and knowledge) with such a diet to be as healthy than with a more balanced omnivore diet. I personally don't associate veganism with a healthy. I know you agree too.

I could give you many examples more since I meet with at least 30-50 patients a day, my wife with even more (we discuss a lot about our patients). Smoking, drinking (even casual one), drugs... already a 50% chance that you're going to have health issues at a certain age. 

Yes, you could give more cherry picked "anecdotal"  evidence, so could I, but unfortunately that is not how empirical evidence and scientific research works Smiley and it is useless as a source of info to go by.

I agree that avoiding all alcohol (even casual I agree, though many don't want to believe it in spite recent studies), and smoking and drugs, you are avoiding some bad habits but that is just passive, doesn't make you healthier, avoiding reckless driving is also a good idea for your life expectancy but that is not going to get you to be healthier and with better quality of life in the later years. You are just avoiding making it worse but you are doing nothing to make it better. Exercise and active lifestyle followed by a "reasonable" diet are what matters most.

--

I agree. Good lifestyle for sure. 

I beleive it’s 75% good consumption and 25% active / exercise lifestyle. You can see the ones in a gym that get those stats wrong. In the gym 24-7 but they never change...Of course, better to exercise than no exercise. Just depends what one goals are from a physique prospective...kiss..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

I believe its 75% exercise and 25% diet, because if you exercise then diet affects you differently and has a smaller effect, the negatives are buffered by the changes exercise induces. And exercises induces bigger changes in the body and is associated with more benefits.

For example if you are fit from exercise then bad fats are going to have a different impact on your body, much less of an impact, same with sugar metabolism, cholesterol metabolism, and many others. Yet the other way around is not true, diet will only get you so far without exercise and will not make you fit. So if one person has a great diet but doesn't exercise, and another exercises is as fit but doesn't have as good a diet, the latter will be much healthier, more fit in old age, more mobility stamina and agility, less degenerative deseases, stringer bones and more lean mass, stronger cardiovascular system, etc.

I see a lot of people in the gym spending a lot of time but doing it very inefficiently though, which gives them not as much benefit as they think given the time they put in. A  lot just jump on the treadmill or elliptical, and start moving for an hour, completely unaware of their zones, intensity vs time, etc, that does little. Or go lift weights with no consistency from day to day in weight or reps, long pauses between sets texting on the phone or chatting, poor technique, etc, which also does little.

--

Thanks, Carlos. I understand and agree with the above.

My workouts amount to around 6hr a week. It’s mainly cardio with some light dumbbell weights and lots mid core. I should mix it up more but visually, considering my age, I must be doing something correct. I tend to gain muscle silly fast, hence why I dropped rowing on my C2, my upper gained too much bulk, for me.

Yes,,, I would say my diet is balanced with some crap but also with a lot of good stuff. So, going by your theory, It should be okay kiss.. My waist is 31”, Chest ( with hair ) around 42”, I think, weight 78kg’s at 5’10” , I carry quite a bit of muscle mass..

I do believe with good healthy consumption and minimal exercise one still shouldn’t be over weight. You can even beat middle age spread if your super good with what you put inside yourself. You just have to be more disciplined.

Cheers kiss..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688251 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408588 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255488 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234709 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65341 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857465 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773188 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM