Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Leno interviewed in Autoweek about his CGT & the clutch

Q: What, no Enzo?
    A: It doesn't interest me. I don't like the paddle shifter. I like to shift myself. (note: however the article also asks him about his automatic SLR he just bought too - maybe he means he likes to shift in SPORTS cars himself and we all know the SLR is a luxo boat).

Q. You still have the Carrera GT loaner, how do you like that?
    A: I put 500 miles on it. I bought it because of the clutch. What is it, a 60,000-mile clutch (who can say that Leno - who has put 60k on one?)? The McLaren clutch (Leno also owns a McLaren F1) is 3000 or 4000 miles. I love the fact (the Carrera GT) has no paddle shifters. I think there's a great deal of satisfaction in mastering the proper shift of a car. If it's going to shift for you, get the video.

Q: Wasn't the Carrera GT clutch difficult to get used to?
    A: I didn't have any problems. I read one road test that said, "Oh it'll really build up your thigh muscles." Well, how lazy are we getting? I have a Hispano-Suiza and that thing has a clutch - you operate that for a few blocks and you're sweating. But this car, it's like, "Oh shut up, are you really mentally and physically exhausted from shifting?"
    The real trick to driving the car is you put it in gear, don't give it any gas, release the clutch and it goes (note: how about on inclines????). I find it's one of those things that gives a car character. Just as it was mastering the earlier 911's handling characteristics (note: in the same article he says, "this is the first Porsche I've ever bought.").

Q. You really love that carbon clutch, don't you?
    A: It doesn't smoke, it doesn't smell. Any other car, you do a burnout and, "Sniff, sniff, uh oh." Let's face it, if you've got some Countach and some kid comes up to you in a '57 Chevy, you say, "Yeah, I could beat this kid but it'll cost me $4700 in clutch repairs." (note: I thought Allan Lambo said those things were reliable?). With the Porsche it's not like that.

Re: Leno interviewed in Autoweek about his CGT & the clutch

Ben, does porsche instruct you how to deal with the shift either thru a pre-delivery video or even a class at the time of delivery or is it really no big deal as leno puts it? Thanks for the excerpts.
    Tom

Re: Leno interviewed in Autoweek about his CGT & the clutch

Quote:
    racerx said:
    Ben, does porsche instruct you how to deal with the shift either thru a pre-delivery video or even a class at the time of delivery or is it really no big deal as leno puts it? Thanks for the excerpts.
    Tom

Tom, I don't know. My delivery isn't until November, but I highly doubt they do provide any instruction. Doing so might even increase their potential for getting sued in the U.S. by admitting there was an issue. Remember how gun shy Porsche got after the TT cab suits in the late 80s?

Re: Supercar sport cars

Quote:
    een on a daily basis idling in St Tropez, I guess it's not too bad to drive at low speeds What a waste though...

why a waste?

IMO its cool when people drive cars like the CGT or enzo or GT3 or CS or whatever daily and at slow speed and not only on the race track. would it be cool when these cars are only gathering in collector's garages and on race tracks?

Totally agree with Zob but I said waste because these cars are exclusively driven below 50 km/h in the tiny streets of St Tropez and nothing else.
    Nothing new though...

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Totally agree with Zob but I said waste because these cars are exclusively driven below 50 km/h in the tiny streets of St Tropez and nothing else.
    Nothing new though...

Sounds like how most of these cars on LA's Westside are used...another example of globalization

I haven't read the entire thread, and I'm not going to comment on anything thats been said, BUT

I once read a post by nberry, long ago, that he commented on how Porsche should build a mid-engined "mini CGT" for Gallardo money. Now I know for that price you can have the GT2 or a specced up Turbo, but wouldn't an altogether more exclusive mid engined sportscar with CGT derived technology be more fitting as a challenger to the Gallardo and 430? It might attract more customers. Mclaren are planning to offer a similar car in this price range from 2006/7 and so is Pagani. So with the market being full, in a few years, wouldn't the 997 911 look a bit dated and less appealing? I know it offers something more different from all those aforementioned cars, and I'm not saying its incapable, far from, but I really think some CGT appeal in a GT2-priced mid-engined Porsche is just whats needed to take sales away from the others. Just a thought? Any comments?

PS, a CGT look alike for much cheaper money, and in the right colours could give Ferrari charm in a Porsche package, a viable alternative, no?

Hey AMG, ferdie and i were talking about this. I think porsche should build a front engine gt platform. It could be designed to fill both a 2 door 928 type gt role and a 4 door sedan role. Using an upgraded cayenne turbo or a detuned CGT V-10. Such a car with around 525 hp and priced from 110k to 160k for the different models would sell in the volumes necessary and compete with all the other marques out there. It would also make the best use of existing powerplants and being gt and sedan based not step on the limited role pure racer's. Porsche needs and wants volume lines not limited production models. Does anyone know what profit porsche will derive from the whole CGT adventure?
    Tom

"Now I know for that price you can have the GT2 or a specced up Turbo, but wouldn't an altogether more exclusive mid engined sportscar with CGT derived technology be more fitting as a challenger to the Gallardo and 430?"

Not sure I understand. The GT2 is Porsche's Challenge Stradale and the TT is their Gallardo/430. Both cars are priced cheaper than those with which they are designed to compete and outperform both. And, the GT2 IS more exclusive than the 430 and probably more so than the Gallardo as well. I don't see any reason to believe Ferrari will make fewer 430s than the 11k (and counting) 360s. GT2 production is but a tiny fraction of that number.

I understand that Porsche have a competitor to these rival cars, but I was hoping for a completely different mid engined Porsche. Sort of like a baby CGT, (I know CGT buyers won't like that) or a super boxster, of somesort. This kind of car would very much compliment the 911 rnage and the CGT as another Porsche alternative.

With the GT3/GT2 and Turbo you get very different driving cars, with different weight and performances, but you are still buying a 911. Not to put too fine a point of it, I am not saying that Porsche should scrap the 911, far from, but another car to bridge this huge gap between the 911 range and the CGT would be a delight. Not only would it offer a new car to existing Porsche buyers, but will bring in more customers who wanted a real mid engined sportscar with the price in the Gallardo ballpark or even CL65/Murcie/Vanquish money.

Making a front engined GT in the same vein as 575M/SL55 is also a great idea, but I think this sort of car would compliment the above idea also very nicely. It could even put Porsche on the top of the sportscar market segement. But I fear it would only cannibalise the 911. I don't know. Whilst the idea of an evolutionary generation of 911's sounds interesting and appealing to 911 fans, a new generation of Porsche sportscar would open up a whole new world, just like the Cayenne did, and the boxster before that. Any people who agree/disagree?

I would love to see a baby CGT but I'm afraid Porsche wouldn't since:

1* creates competition to its owm model line
    2* tough volatile insecure market nitche.
    3* high R&D costs for a small company with not even cost saving posibilities of R&D and part sharing with other companien in this type of model.
    4* low volume market, small production #'s.

A front engined GT would stand a better chance at seeing the light IMO.

Party pooper

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Ask the F348 owners after the 355 came out, the 355 owners after the 360 came out and the 360 owners after the 430 comes out about what an arse reaming feels like.

Ben -

I haven't been around the Ferrari world all that long so I can't speak to older model resale values, but I know the 355 had a significant resale price *increase* when the 360 was introduced. There was a lot of interest generated with the new model, and since you can't just go in and buy one, people "settled" for the 355. I believe the 355 depreciation has been no worse, and is probably better than, 996 TTs for example.

You really have a thing about Ferrari people, don't you? I owned Porsches for many years, and just bought my first Ferrari. As I've said in other posts, the buying experience was first rate, I'm extremely happy with the car (3500 mi in 6 months, 3 track days) and the other Ferrari owners I have become acquainted with through Ferrari Chat and FCA are great people to hang out with, not a gold chain to be found. A lot like Porsche people, actually, which doesn't surprise me, but it may surprise you.

Gary

Hey Gary. Yes resale values have been about the same on 993 TTs relative to those of 355s (especially if you have to get reamed well above MSRP on the F-car), though the 993TT costs considerably less, had considerably longer warranty and requires considerably less maintenance. This trend will probably continue with the 996TTs and 360s which were both produced in mass.

No, I don't have a thing against Ferrari people - or any "people" as a group. However, a very large % of those Ferrari people I have met have in fact rubbed me wrong. Porsche definetely has it's fair share of poseurs today as well. You can see from the options available as well as standard features. Each iteration of 911 has been progressively more sterile to cater to what is now the majority demographic for Porsche.

It may surprise you to know I have been shopping for a Stradale (missed two by a matter of days). The regular 360 is just too much of a wussy for me though it is a really fantastic drive - especially the sound. Nick was gracious enough to let me drive his F1 360 the other day (Nick really is a nice guy in person) and I found it an entirely different experience than when I drove his last 6 speed (very much a disappointment which thereafter left me looking down on 360s). He encouraged me to "drive" his current car through some curves with which he knew I was very intimately acquainted. I can tell you though, my 996 cab will go through those same curves considerably faster (before his traction control or my PSM kicks in) than that Spider though my car has quite a bit of suspension work. It's really hard to beat the driver involvement throttle steering wise inherent in the rear weight biased C2 911. That said, his car is just a buttload more exciting to drive at 7/10 to 8/10 and below than mine is. Some of this may be due to my factory exhaust vs. something more involving like his Tubi.

Anyway, I'm about to find out soon if the CGT clutch is as horrible as commonly reviewed and can then decide if I want a CS instead. While I have considered having both simultaneously, the CS would seem redundant (to be nice to the CS) since I only drive my sports cars appx 3500/year. I can't believe I'm actually considering a coupe - anything! My wife jokingly called me a sell out as regards the F-car :-)

Quote:
    ben, lj said:

It may surprise you to know I have been shopping for a Stradale (missed two by a matter of days).

If you're interested I can put you in touch with a friend who is selling a CS...

Gary

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    I found it an entirely different experience than when I drove his last 6 speed (very much a disappointment which thereafter left me looking down on 360s).

This really makes no sense to me. I have a 6-spd, and while it may not be as fast around a road course as an F1, I love the driver-involvement factor. And it's probably the best-shifting gearbox I've ever used, absolutely no complaints, and I love the look and feel (and sound!) of the gated shifter. Why were you so disappointed? Obviously we look for different things in cars (I've always preferred coupes to roadsters) but I'm really baffled by your reaction to the 6-spd.

Gary

Quote:
    tdf360 said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:

It may surprise you to know I have been shopping for a Stradale (missed two by a matter of days).

If you're interested I can put you in touch with a friend who is selling a CS...

Gary

Thanks, if it's titanium with black leather (without the stripe), please do.

As to the 6 speed, Nick's clutch was schit. It was replaced, but I never drove it after or knew that it had been bad until much later. It wasn't really the 6 speed that turned me off on his first car. The brakes didn't impress me, it felt kind of weird (open and wide), and the sound was pretty crappy (no Tubi). I've heard several 355s as well as a 360 with Tubi and almost relieved myself in place, but the stock exhaust in Nick's first one sounded pretty crappy inside the car (like a ricer). There were actually a few things about that car that left me unimpressed but it's been a couple years now and I forget them all. All I know is his 04 with Tubi was a much nicer drive than his 01 without. I think I would prefer stick (not available in the CS though), but I've never really liked that tall gated shifter.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780915 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442562 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263345 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261670 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85805 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5912 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881423 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818880 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM