Forum - Thread

Official: The New BMW 7 Series

Re: Official: The New BMW 7 Series

The design could have been worse

Quote:
    MKSGR said:

Isn't it a shame to say that about a new BMW?

Quote:
    MKSGR said:

Yes. But also better, not much of CS concept left.

Looks a lot like the Lexus LS to me.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:

At least you could not have said it about many of their earlier models

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:

At least you could not have said it about many of their earlier models

True as well.

On official video which will be online this weekend new 7er looks even better than on pictures. Press pictures (like manny times) don't do justice, 7er is better in video and even better in flesh.

It looks like a normal BMW of the 2000s, somewhat better looking without any of the provoking styling elements of the previous generation 7 and the 5-series. It will look better in dark colours with larger wheels.

zzboba: BMW 8 will be more similar to CS concept..

I think the e38, the 740 with the sport pack, was one of the best sedan designs I've ever seen. The new generation was a step back from that and this doesn't help.

Nice...I like it!

What kind of engines does it get?

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:

As far as I understood the CS concept will come in a separate model line.

Interior is very unimaginative, steering wheel so ugly, previous generation is miles better.
    Front is very nice, rear so-so, like Lexus LS.

The one to wait is the production CS..

Thank you Shakal
    The pics you posted are of the LWB version, I think the SWB in a dark color will look better:

Quote:
    Crash said:

730d - 245HP; I6 single-turbo diesel; available in F01 from the beggining, in F02 (Li version) 6 months later
    740i - available in Li version from the beginning
    750i - 407 hp, available in Li version from the beginning

760i and 730sd (twin turbo diesel) will come about 1 year later.

Quote:
    Crash said:

Here's the twin-turbo V8 from the X6:

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:

Looks a lot like the Lexus LS to me.

I think the LS looks better actually... I remember when the Japanese used to copy the Germans...

disgusting

Quote:
    temm said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Here's the twin-turbo V8 from the X6:

Nice! I wonder how much buyers that engine is going to steal from the 760...

Quote:
    amir sarmad said:
    disgusting

+1

new??

looks more like a FL to me

Quote:
    derder said:
    new??

Its evolution. E65 was revolution. In time when face lifted E65 camed out , design for F01 was already finnished. So face lifted E65 is in the middle between E65 and F01. But F01 is much more elegant and again, pictures doesn't do justice. In promo video new 7er looks much better than on pictures. Promo video is already online, but is hidden, you will be able to see it this weekend.

Concept CS is too aggressive for car in this range and most people would not like it. BMW 8 will be very similar to CS concept, will be built on same platform as BMW 7 and new RR, and will be in higher range than MB CL.

It's interesting to note in the picture of the rear interior seating area that there is an i-drive joystick for controlling the rear entertainment system.

Quote:
    Shakal said:
    Quote:
    derder said:
    new??

Its evolution. E65 was revolution. In time when face lifted E65 camed out , design for F01 was already finnished. So face lifted E65 is in the middle between E65 and F01. But F01 is much more elegant and again, pictures doesn't do justice. In promo video new 7er looks much better than on pictures. Promo video is already online, but is hidden, you will be able to see it this weekend.

Concept CS is too aggressive for car in this range and most people would not like it. BMW 8 will be very similar to CS concept, will be built on same platform as BMW 7 and new RR, and will be in higher range than MB CL.

Wrong about higher range than CL, the production CS will not cost more than CL. Its engines will be from M3's V8 to M6's V-Ten, whereas CL has twelve cylinders. Besides, BMW cannot sell their cars that costly. It's BMW, not aston martin or Porsche.

Proof? Does the 7 cost more than a comparable S-class?

Separated at Birth

Separated at birth:

Re: Separated at Birth

Quote:
    MattTheCarNut said:
    Separated at birth:

Damn, you're right.

Quote:
    shin said:
    Quote:
    Shakal said:
    Quote:
    derder said:
    new??

Wrong about higher range than CL, the production CS will not cost more than CL. Its engines will be from M3's V8 to M6's V-Ten, whereas CL has twelve cylinders. Besides, BMW cannot sell their cars that costly. It's BMW, not aston martin or Porsche.

BMW 7 will not be flagship anymore, there will be two cars above - new 8 series and large luxury roadster, Z8. And its too early to talk about the engines, because BMW don't only have M3's / M5's engine, but also works on new engines too True, its not Porsche or Aston Martin, but also Mercedes isn't Porsche or Aston Martin. Friend who is engineer in BMW told me that new 8 series will be based on CS concept, will be in higher range than CL and that will be new BMW's flagship.

Re: Separated at Birth

Quote:
    MattTheCarNut said:
    Separated at birth:

This is never ending story... then we can say LS is copy of 5 series. I think LS is more similar to E60 than F01 to LS.

Quote:
    Shakal said:
    Quote:
    shin said:
    Quote:
    Shakal said:
    Quote:
    derder said:
    new??

BMW 7 will not be flagship anymore, there will be two cars above - new 8 series and large luxury roadster, Z8. And its too early to talk about the engines, because BMW don't only have M3's / M5's engine, but also works on new engines too True, its not Porsche or Aston Martin, but also Mercedes isn't Porsche or Aston Martin. Friend who is engineer in BMW told me that new 8 series will be based on CS concept, will be in higher range than CL and that will be new BMW's flagship.

It's no industry secret, BMW has announced they will build the CS. and I read GermanCarFans forums too. a BMW engineer says so does not mean it will be properly so, it's called bias.

The reason BMW building the CS is because of the CLS, they originally were going to build their 4-door coupe based on the next gen 6-series, but they decided they do not want to compete in the same price segment, so they moved it up to above the 7-series, which is the exactly same price segment as the CL is to the S-class. Check out how much a CL cost these days and you'll figure out that BMW cannot sell their new '8' more than that.

Look, I'm more a BMW fan than Mercedes, but I'm well aware that not only BMW is not aston or Porcshe, it is not even Mercedes when it comes to pricing their cars. Check BMW vs Merc prices for comparable models, there's a reason to why it is what it is.

The new '8' or production CS cannot cost more than the aston Rapide. It will cost similar to higher-end Panamera or lower end CL. as for CL65 amg, it will go head-to-head with the coupe version of RR04 from BMW Group. Not the 8, which is below it.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763189 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435758 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260720 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257713 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    81002 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5323 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872642 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808114 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM