Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Air pressure for Pirelli P-Zero Corsa

Sorry for the extra-bad quality...

Compared to last year's table, the recommended pressure has been lowered quite a bit, at least for the 996 Turbo!

Greetings,
    --Pierre

Re: Air pressure for Pirelli P-Zero Corsa

Thanks, Pierre. Very interesting!!!

Maybe one little word to those who aren't as track experienced as you are:
    these tire pressures are ONLY for the Pirelli PZero Corsa and the warm-up instructions have to be carried out carefully.
    Why I bother saying this? Because there are enough dumb amateurs who lower the tire pressure on their street tires, even for street use because they think their cars get better handling capabilities.
    To those who still don't get it: measure the tire pressure BEFORE track racing and then AFTER track racing. We encountered differences of up to 0.8 bar and even more!!! This never happens on the street, differences up to 0.4 bar are possible.

Best advise: get two sets of wheels, one for street driving and one for track driving with the PZero Corsa for example. This would be the best investment, especially regarding safety but also performance.

I know that YOU know it Pierre...just for others.

RC,
    I agree that if you are a "dumb amateur" you should not mess with the tire pressures and just use factory recom presures for the street which are meant to work on avberage for the whole world and optimised for tire even thread wear and durability.
    However you will find very few experienced drivers with factory pressures on the street. With a minimum experience and sensibility you can easily notice improvement in grip and handling from varying a just a few PSI's of the tire pressure according to the weather in your region or season (mediterranen summer day vs english winter day), style of driving (hard vs cruiser), average speeds or type of use (city or commute vs canyon or highway), and espicially tire brand and model (long lasting confort tire vs hard shell performance tire), which are so different amongst them that pressures are not universal. The PS2's are the ones that I found that run closest to the factory recom pressures BTW.
    So they are not lowered (slightly) on the street for the same reasons than for the track, on the track you lower them much more than on the street because they heat up so much more that your running hot pressures would be excessive otherwise. So on the track you should worry directly about the hot air pressures anyway, the famous 40psi ballpark, the variabililty is so much bigger than in the street as you say.

Does the V.A. and H.A. stand for front and rear? If it is then I am suprised that the 2 pressures could be so close if that is the case

About time. I've seen too many sets go to an early recycling because of high pressures. Of course, if people watched temperatures, it's easier (and leads to incredibly low "out lap" pressures) but I just don't have the budget to keep "field testing" the Corsa to see why the Corsa is so sensitive to pressure and camber. Very sticky for an R compound and easy handling in wet conditions.

Quote:
    ken said:
    Does the V.A. and H.A. stand for front and rear? If it is then I am suprised that the 2 pressures could be so close if that is the case

VA and HA do stand for front and rear respectively. Rear pressures for warm tires particularly are surprisingly low, but Pirelli will surely know what it is talking about.

Pierre: Does Pirelli have this online?

These are much lower numbers and they make sense. I've seen tires worn only on the center when set at the high factory pressures.

ADias, I didn't find that info online, no. Got it from my tire-dealer.

The lower numbers are a real big step: for the 996TT, last year's data from Pirelli specified 2.5-2.7 (warm) for the rear. Now they say 2.4.

I agree with Carrera GT: the Corsa is great in dry conditions, and quite ok in the wet. Don't try the Michelin in the wet... A friend of mine did it, and the result is one 996TT less. We were driving at the same (wet) place, at the same moment, and at the same speed. I had the Corsa, and it was ok. He had the Michelin, and he (literally) took off.

Greetings,
    --Pierre

my tuner ( Porsche driver on Fia GT ,24h SPA with a Gt3 rs ) told me to use theese pressions for P-zero corsa during trackdays : front 2.2 /rear 2.4
    I have a 996 C4 my 2002 ,225 front and 285 post .
    If you wont the best with this kind of tires you must modify the front camber .
    I use the Corsa only 4 trakdays ,and I bought an other set of rims (turbo 2) made ...in Italy ....for 700 euros (4!!),it's the bast choice imho.

see : http://www.porscheclubtoscana.it/index2.htm

sorry 4 the OT ...in Magione with a 993 friend ..a very good driver ..

....then...

Sergini,

do you adjust front camber for track days only or did you change it completely?

no... ,if u use the pzerocorsa camber specs ,the street tires (michelin ps ) don't work better.
    I prefer loosing 2 sec /lap but in the street driving without problems.
    ciaoo!

Yeah, but did I get it right that

- you adjusted the camber specs once and use them also for street driving?

- do the street tyres have any downside when doing so? E.g. tyre wear, brake distances etc.?

- how difficult / expensive is it to adjust camber?

This modification is not necessary on the GT2/3 models, is it?

Mille grazie e ciao!

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Yeah, but did I get it right that

- you adjusted the camber specs once and use them also for street driving?

- do the street tyres have any downside when doing so? E.g. tyre wear, brake distances etc.?

- how difficult / expensive is it to adjust camber?

This modification is not necessary on the GT2/3 models, is it?

Mille grazie e ciao!

1) I adjusted the camber in a Middle position (I dont know how ,my mechanic work ,i drive the car ... ) I have also the -10 set up on my car .
    2) a good mechanic (motorsport mechanic) can do it easly , the price is litte ..like a normal angle set up ...toe-in ,camber,caster.
    3) GT2/GT3 need this modification ,theese cars set up is more regulable ...
    if u are in the nord of Italy I can send a good address ...near Genova (the best in Italy ) .....Mario Birra ...

ciaoooo!

Quote:
    sergini said:
    my tuner ( Porsche driver on Fia GT ,24h SPA with a Gt3 rs )[...]

Is it Gabriele?
    Greetings,
    --Pierre

Moreno Soli ...is the tuner
    Gabriele ...Lanceri? he is my teacher ...:)

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    However you will find very few experienced drivers with factory pressures on the street. With a minimum experience and sensibility you can easily notice improvement in grip and handling from varying a just a few PSI's of the tire pressure according to the weather in your region or season (mediterranen summer day vs english winter day), style of driving (hard vs cruiser), average speeds or type of use (city or commute vs canyon or highway), and espicially tire brand and model (long lasting confort tire vs hard shell performance tire), which are so different amongst them that pressures are not universal. The PS2's are the ones that I found that run closest to the factory recom pressures BTW.

The pros (or better said semi-pros) I know usually have a second wheel set with track tires which they use for track racing. There is a serious problem if you lower tire pressure for street driving, no matter what tire it is and no matter in what region of the world you're living in.
    Tires have a "memory", every damage is "memorized", even if you correct the tire pressure afterwards.
    Imagine this scenario (one of a dozends of possible scenarios on the street): you lower the tire pressure (of course on a cold tire because otherwise you can't be sure about the result) and after a short ride, you drive through a pothole. The tire can already get an invisible damage, especially due to the lowered pressure. Just one example of many. Rule number one with Porsche recommended tire pressures for street driving: don't mess with them.
    Many car manufacturers adapt their recommended tire pressures to comfort, etc. Porsche has driving dynamics and safety on their mind in the first place.
    And there aren't many car companies who do so much extensive tire testing on their cars as Porsche does. This has a specific reason on the 911: the rear engine concept which requires a different type of compound mixture to provide a perfect setup.
    This is why people should definetely stick to N-classified tires for street driving. And unexperienced drivers should do the same for track driving because non-N classified tires, even if the brand and type are the same, are NOT the same and can be dangerous to a certain point.

And last but not least (what a lot of 911 owners don't seem to know): putting slicks or even super sticky semi-slicks to their car can cause serious engine damage. Porsche warns about this but people don't listen. The oil distribution is compromised from a certain high lateral acceleration figure up. And the Porsche warranty does not cover this damage. The oil distribution issue is only valid for the 996/997 Carrera and Boxster, not the 996 Turbo, GT2 or GT3 and of course not for the Carrera GT.

Sergini, I had another Gabriele in mind. Anyway...
    BTW, on this picture, your Corsa still looks great. I guess it only had a few km on track when you took the pic, right?
    Greetings,
    --Pierre

PS: the tire pressure also depends on the track and the conditions. I was in Dijon on Fri/Sat, and the Pirelli guy recommended to increase the pressure on the left side by 0.1-0.2 bar.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763015 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435657 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260671 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257676 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80980 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5323 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872563 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808004 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM