Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997 Carrera S Rennteam Test Drive - Finally!

I finally finished my 997 Carrera S driving report, including some adjustments because I was able to drive it much more than I expected...

Available here: http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=45067&an=0&page=0#45067

Enjoy!

If you have comments or just want to rip my head off, add them to this thread/post. Thank you.

Re: 997 Carrera S Rennteam Test Drive - Finally!

many thanks

woshhhhh

It is worth the wait RC This really is a very informative report. Dutch carmagazine Autovisie tested
    a similar 997S with sport suspension/LSD and PCCB in their latest issue, in many ways they share your view and come to the same conclusions. (Difference: they are unimpressed by the Spots button). But what makes your report standing out from all the roadtests I've read is your real-life experience and comparisons with former porsche models.
    Thanks and......... congrats ofcourse!

I just finished reading it

Well, you took time, a lot of time, to post the review but i must say it was well worth.

You cant get more detailed than this

Many thanks again

thanks RC great commentary

Thanks RC for the time and effort put into this, it was well worth the wait!

Excellent perspective! I have to highlight:

"... This [nonlinear steering] is no setup for one hand drivers, poseurs, smokers or people who have a tremor problem. "

"... Americans love to drive and to enjoy their drink in the cupholder at the same time.Porsche should remove the driver's cup holder on 20 mm suspension option equipped cars." - I would say that drinking/eating should not be allowed while driving ANY car, even less a sports car.

Thanks for this excellent driving report!

Enjoy your new car...

P.S.: Happy anniversary! I guess that the 997 was a very special present!? If I am wrong here just ignore this amendment...

Fantastic report RC!

Really first rate. Excellent job.

Thanks RC

Can't wait to read it. As soon as my son goes to bed I'll be reading the hell out of it

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Happy anniversary! I guess that the 997 was a very special present!? If I am wrong here just ignore this amendment...

Do you know something I don't know? Please via PM.

Thanks RC for the report.

Quote:
    "Price: The Carrera (without "S") seems like a bluff package to me, and the Carrera S should have a few goodies as standard, too. Things like Chrono Sport, adaptive sports seat, sport exhaust and short shifter should be standard or cost free options."

What does "bluff package" mean?

Thanks RC!

Looks like the 997S is quite a performer and toy for high speed highways... just what I wanted

The thing you mentioned about the seat buttons right were the left knee meets the door, which is used for extra support when cornering hard, has been mentioned before, I found it unbelievable so discarted the idea, but now you say the exact same thing! I can't believe they could have done that mistake!! would it happen to a shorter or taller person also or just to specific sized people?

About the rear seat, you mention they are for kids only, do they have less room the in the 996?

I can't believe thay are not offering the -20mm (P17) suspension in the US, I mean, everybody who gets a 997S there (which will be a lot more than base 997's, the C4S was the most popular there) will never be able to mod, upgrade or alter anything about the car's suspesnsion and dinamics! not even with factory options! not even with RoW factory parts! that is a big problem since that is one of the most frequently modded aspects of the car. I wonder if a lot of people who buy it realise that before hand. How many posts of "I want to lower my 997S" are we going to see?

I not convinced about the engine, you have to drive it like a Honda VTEC then but hey! you can't have it all, they seem to have the chasis part right with the -20mm so thats what comes in first place and were the fun is

Ok, so no bucket GT3 style seats so it seems adaptive sport seats deserve consideration, but how much heavier are they?

BTW, stupid question maybe but what is "tearing throgh the gears"?

And thanks again for the report, it was worth the wait

Quote:
    vtrader said:

We say "Mogelpackung" in Germany. Difficult to translate, somehow getting "less value" for your money or not being the best deal. How about "fritz"? I'm sure he knows the right translation.

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    I not convinced about the engine, you have to drive it like a Honda VTEC BTW...
    ...stupid question maybe but what is "tearing throgh the gears"?

And thanks again for the report, it was worth the wait

The Honda VTEC engine delivers satisfactory power when the 997 Carrera S engine hits the rev limiter. So I don't think this is a good example.
    Tearing through the gears (sorry, I didn't find a better translation from German) is when somebody doesn't care about the synchronization of the gearbox and just changes gears (from third to fourth for example) without the slightiest hesitation. What works great with race cars (no wonder... ), increases wear of the synchro rings on a street car and can result in a malfunctioning or even broken gearbox sooner or later. So even when shifting fast, it is advised to hesitate for a fraction of a second in the middle.

Great review, RC!

Since the Carrera S has a M97/01 engine, do you know if this means they addressed the crankshaft concentricity issue (RMS leak) from the M96? As I understand it, in the M96 engine the crankshaft carrier is a separate piece that is attached to the engine block, and it's suspected that this is what causes the RMS problem in some M96 engines.

If so, this could make the decision to go with a Carrera S very easy!

Thanks for a very comprehensive and informative report

Excellent !!!
    Thanks for the great report.

If you get to drive one, your impressions of a PASM equiped 997 would be appreciated and worth reading.

Quote:
    poursha said:
    Great review, RC!

Since the Carrera S has a M97/01 engine, do you know if this means they addressed the crankshaft concentricity issue (RMS leak) from the M96?

I'm not sure. I've heard that the M97/01 engine is based on the M96 engine but almost every part is new. So my guess would be that they addressed the RMS issue because I cannot imagine they were too happy about it.

The 997 Carrera S shows one thing very clearly to me (I have a good comparison because I got one of the first 996 C2 in Germany back in 1997): Porsche earned a lot of money in the past and a good part of the money went into development too. Of course this means that the 911 might have lost a little bit of it's "pure" image (the 993 is a good example) but the 996 was horrible regarding quality in the beginning.

I'm pretty sure that Porsche wiped out all known issues with the M96 engine and other minor technical issues but of course I don't know it for sure.
    Whenever I get the chance to ask, I do so.

Re: 997 Carrera S high rev advantage

Quote:
    RC said:... The Honda VTEC engine delivers satisfactory power when the 997 Carrera S engine hits the rev limiter. So I don't think this is a good example.

In any event, if the 997 S has no low rev range advantage over the 997, it may not be of interest for me. I do not track and the 2 gears that make it for me are 2nd and 3rd below 6000 RPM. Just a P-car owner perspective - YMMV.

Thanks Christian...great Report..

But now there is a problem...

i whant a 997 Turbo.....but there isn't... what can i do?maybe the solution is to buy a 997 S?!?!?

ciao
    Dario

RC

Do the adapative sport seats pinch in the shoulder blades or upper torso as much as the previous sport seats in the 996 did or are the side bolsters adjustable as high as the shoulders? I understand that you probably would prefer to just listen to the engine note but can you also comment on the sound and speaker quality of the stadard radio versus the bose? I am very curious about the new radio.

Outstanding! I believe you were as objective as one can be.

As you know I think the car will fall on its face in sales. However it will not be because of Porsches' failure to market. Over the past three weeks I have been inundated with literature, personal invitation and other marketing gimmicks from Porsche to attended the "unveiling" of the 997.

One invitation is to a very desireable location along a famous golf course to view the car one day earlier which includes food and beverage.

Of course, I will not atttend. I am sure it is a fine car but I will wait until they modernize it and cater to a particular market segment.

Great report RC !
    I agree with you 100 % that the electronic enhancements of the Sport Chrono pkg should be std on the Carrera S and the dated watch face on the dash should never have been even considered as a " tangible " reward for spending $$ for programming since as you say all the info can be displayed on the much easier to read at speed PCM screen.

In twenty years time, people will be gagging to get hold of one of the stop watches if only because it seems to a controversial addition.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    vtrader said:

We say "Mogelpackung" in Germany. Difficult to translate, somehow getting "less value" for your money or not being the best deal. How about "fritz"? I'm sure he knows the right translation.

"Mogelpackung" = What you see is NOT what you get.

The contents do not fulfil the "promises" made by the packaging.

Great report RC, better, much better than any magazine.

J.Seven

Great report RC!! I think i read it 3 or 4 times.
    I would like to know your impressions on the tiptronic(if you allready have tried one).

Thanks for an outstanding, very thoughtfully written review

Thanks for a great review.
    We seem to share many views on the 997.
    What I liked the most, when I drove the 997S, was the sports suspension and the Sport Chrono package.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764101 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436373 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260976 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257911 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82612 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876733 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808766 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM