Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Maserati Levante

xander71:

For sure a 6 cil, but since all is about downsizing etc...all producers follow this trend , if maserati uses a v8 would it be considered cool and wow or ...its just an old style ..bla bla bla......i would prefer a v8 with beautiful sound....

what do you guys think????

I'm happy that at least Mercedes and some Americans still will be able to produce a beautiful sounding V8. Other than that, I have my classic in the car and will keep it that way.

Building Sports Cars with 6 Cylinder is hideous. We are talking about cars which have a minimum percentage on the overall car population. Their air pollution will be nothing to be worried about.

SciFrog:

You guys are making too much of V8 vs V6 turbo. V8 is going away everywhere, just a matter of time.

Not really (thank god), the next generation Cayenne will get a new V8 engine which will be "fit" for the future. I would never buy a Cayenne with a V6, no matter if turbo charged, super charged or whatever. Even if it had 900 hp. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

The local dealership had one in the showroom today.  Definitely not on my list and it looked smaller than I thought it.   Perhaps, having the vehicle in refrigerator white was not a great choice.  

From the pics and videos I've seen so far, the Jaguar F-Pace is the best looking one of the new crop of "luxury" crossovers. 

Enmanuel:

From the pics and videos I've seen so far, the Jaguar F-Pace is the best looking one of the new crop of "luxury" crossovers. 

The F-Pace looks great but engine choices aren't exactly optimal... No V8. Smiley

A SUV needs a V8 or bigger... 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

It looks like the Maserati will be given a V8 at some point.

http://www.beyond.ca/maserati-levante-gets-a-v8/56622.html

ISUK:

It looks like the Maserati will be given a V8 at some point.

http://www.beyond.ca/maserati-levante-gets-a-v8/56622.html

Good news and makes sense but I guess this SUV will be more expensive than the Cayenne, so...no thanks. Smiley

--

Its out to late, its to,similar to,all the rest, no original design ...its just a no car imho

--

993 c2

In the flesh the design is very striking especially the side profile...

SciFrog:

In the flesh the design is very striking especially the side profile...

If that's the correct, I need to get my eyes examined.  This is another under-conceived project by Sergio the Great.  

Unfortunately this is also only a mid size SUV. 

Lars997:

Maserati should have built one based on the Grand Cherokee. The Levante is too small and quite expensive (in my opinion) for what it offers. I really wonder who wants to buy this thing when there is a very strong competition (which will very likely increase as well).

--

RC:
    Lars997:

Maserati should have built one based on the Grand Cherokee. The Levante is too small and quite expensive (in my opinion) for what it offers. I really wonder who wants to buy this thing when there is a very strong competition (which will very likely increase as well).

SmileySmileySmiley

Lars997:
    RC:
    Lars997:

SmileySmileySmiley

The magic of Sergio the Great.   He remains one of the industry's most tone deaf towards consumer preferences executives.  His strategies have failed, only to be quickly rehashed again.   He fumbled the rebirth of Maserati and now Alfa Romeo is following that same failed trajectory.  Every Chrysler and Dodge model developed under his reign has failed in North America, while the old Daimler-Benz era products continue to sell strongly.  The only near success is the Jeep Cherokee; that sells only through strong incentive programs.  

The Grand Cherokee could be a real market leader, they have a good car at a good price point and even a flagship model. But their designs are not good enough, especially the rear and over use of chrome on some models. Jeep has and amazing image and iconic design cues yet they are not able to draw a stunning car. They also seem a bit behind in technology.

SciFrog:

The Grand Cherokee could be a real market leader, they have a good car at a good price point and even a flagship model. But their designs are not good enough, especially the rear and over use of chrome on some models. Jeep has and amazing image and iconic design cues yet they are not able to draw a stunning car. They also seem a bit behind in technology.

I still think that the GC is one of the best looking SUVs out there. 

The only design flaw which really bothers me is, that the lower dash parts are harsh plastic, while rest is nicely wrapped in leather / Alcantara. But this is a US thing, never understand why they don't learn this. 

Also - you can be sure that the Italians will ruin the next GC design completely. Fiat is very talented in building hideously ugly cars.

Lars997:
    SciFrog:

The only design flaw which really bothers me is, that the lower dash parts are harsh plastic, while rest is nicely wrapped in leather / Alcantara. But this is a US thing, never understand why they don't learn this

Also - you can be sure that the Italians will ruin the next GC design completely. Fiat is very talented in building hideously ugly cars.

Cause they have expensive union workers to pay :)

--

Whoopsy:
    Lars997:
    SciFrog:

The only design flaw which really bothers me is, that the lower dash parts are harsh plastic, while rest is nicely wrapped in leather / Alcantara. But this is a US thing, never understand why they don't learn this

Cause they have expensive union workers to pay :)

Yes - nothing compares to those underpaid Germans with 60 das per year on strike and another 30 days on vacation Smiley

SciFrog:

The rear of the GC is looking cheap and generic. As if two different design teams were doing the front and the rear. Smiley

Also, chrome is not a good thing on a sporty SUV...indeed.

The tech is/could be OK, the new UConnect update even supports Siri and the Hellcat engine is a treat but everything comes too late and in homeopathic doses and the quality is so and so (according to many posts in various car forums).

--

RC:
    SciFrog:

The rear of the GC is looking cheap and generic. As if two different design teams were doing the front and the rear. Smiley

Also, chrome is not a good thing on a sporty SUV...indeed.

The tech is/could be OK, the new UConnect update even supports Siri and the Hellcat engine is a treat but everything comes too late and in homeopathic doses and the quality is so and so (according to many posts in various car forums).

Agreed, there's a bit of a dissonance between the front and rear but otherwise, this is a remarkably good-looking SUV. Upgrade some interior trim bits, LOSE THE DAMN FOOT BRAKES and bring these products up to premium snuff and presto, winners.

Then again, this is FCA so we shouldn't get our hopes up.

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S [gone but never forgotten]

The more I see this car, the more I like it. It has a lot of presence in the flesh and despite having some similarities with Mazda/Infinity I would say that it's a very original design, as much as contradictory this might sound.

Also, the reviews I've read/seen are very positive in almost every single aspect. Bearing in mind its poor engine catalogue it is not a bad feedback at all.

Much better looking (imho) and better car (according to different publications) than the Macan. The best in its class, mid-sized SUVs.

alexalex88:

The more I see this car, the more I like it. It has a lot of presence in the flesh and despite having some similarities with Mazda/Infinity I would say that it's a very original design, as much as contradictory this might sound.

Also, the reviews I've read/seen are very positive in almost every single aspect. Bearing in mind its poor engine catalogue it is not a bad feedback at all.

Much better looking (imho) and better car (according to different publications) than the Macan. The best in its class, mid-sized SUVs.

My son spotted one recently on the road, he thought it is a Japanese mid-sized SUV Smiley and I had to look myself twice at the car to recognize it. Sorry, it looks terrible in my opinion, not worthy for such an expensive car (top version with 430 hp easily costs 110k EUR and more). I also think the Macan looks much better and I'm not even a big fan of the Macan, I like the Cayenne better.

Saw a Jaguar F-Pace as well lately, beautiful car. If Jaguar ever decides to build a V8 version of the F-Pace with 500 hp or so and offer it (base price) under 90k EUR, I could be tempted. Even with the 380 hp engine, the F-Pace is in my opinion the better choice than the Levante. Not sure however how they are size-wise comparable, I think the Levante is a little bit bigger but I may be wrong.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

I sat in both cars and the Jag looked better from outside and the Levante from inside - guess we have to wait for the "new interior" of the Cayenne or Macan similar to the Panamera which then will be the new Benchmark again....

RC:
    alexalex88:

My son spotted one recently on the road, he thought it is a Japanese mid-sized SUV Smiley and I had to look myself twice at the car to recognize it. Sorry, it looks terrible in my opinion, not worthy for such an expensive car (top version with 430 hp easily costs 110k EUR and more). I also think the Macan looks much better and I'm not even a big fan of the Macan, I like the Cayenne better.

Saw a Jaguar F-Pace as well lately, beautiful car. If Jaguar ever decides to build a V8 version of the F-Pace with 500 hp or so and offer it (base price) under 90k EUR, I could be tempted. Even with the 380 hp engine, the F-Pace is in my opinion the better choice than the Levante. Not sure however how they are size-wise comparable, I think the Levante is a little bit bigger but I may be wrong.

I get your point and I recognize it ain't easy to love the design at first sight and it has reminiscences with other (asian brands) SUVs. But after an in depth look around I have to admit that it trully has Maserati DNA in its lines beyond the badge. Oh, and while I haven't tried one yet, every single journalist agrees on how brilliant it is when it comes to drive it.

The Macan. The moment you see a Macan and Levante next to each other you won't (or shouldn't) have any doubt about which one looks better. Compared to the Cayenne I have my doubts tho, they are two language designs completly different and I like both. I don't know, I think it's just a matter of proportions and/or personal tastes.

The F-Pace. I like it too but design-wise it is boring and impersonal as the Macan; at least the Jag is a pretty car to look at. The Levante pours italianness through its lines (if that makes any sense).

It seems that we only are in the same page when we talk about how underpowered are this batch of mid-sized SUVs and the need of a powerfull turbocharged v8 in their lineups.

I think the front actually looks good bad the back is just hideous, saw it in Geneva at the car show as well as once on open roads.

First time I read the Macan is boring and impersonal... I like the Maserati too but it is more a Cayenne competitor than a Macan. Between a Maserati and a Cayenne I would pick the Levante, but the Macan is a better and cheaper car than the other two if you can have a smaller vehicle... The rear of the Levante is indeed close to the infinity...

I should've pointed that I was referring to the rear, which is too clean and not precisely in a good way; also I don't like the odd curve it describes. The side view is relatively well proportioned and the front... well, similar to the Cayenne with Predator's mouth. Definitely not my cup of tea.

Just my two cents.

Also, forgot to add: That Chrysler navigation system (UConnect) kind of throws me off the luxury SUV flair...  It looks basically the same as in my Jeep GC SRT and I wonder how much Jeep/Chrysler tech is actually inside the Levante. Not that it would be a bad thing...but without V8 the Levante is a joke. angry

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    806089 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449307 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266941 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90396 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7093 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886954 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835689 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM