Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Opinions on Early Oil Change.

My 2008 997 Turbo Cabriolet has 2500 miles, it's less than 3 months old but I just made an appointment to change out the oil/filter this Friday am.

Dealer basically told me it's unnecessary but since I plan on keeping this car I just cant help feeling better if I did the first oil change now vs. doing it at 7500 miles. I've frequently heard the first oil change it's actually the most important one.

So what do you think? If I do it now it doesnt seem like a complete waste because the next time I would need to do it gets pushed back to 10,000 miles instead of needing it at 7500 miles. So even though it's Mobil1 what are your thoughts?

Re: Opinions on Early Oil Change.

My first oil change was @3800 kilometers.I felt much better doing it that quickly. Since then it's been between 6500 and 8000 kilometers between changes. It might be shorter distances than the recommended intervals...but thats alright. I plan on keeping my car for a very long time...and want it to have as little internal wear as possible.

no need

I seem to remember hearing that moving parts are still bedding in on new engines and thus causing an accumulation of metal shavings. Can't hurt to change the oil earlier...

It's a good idea to change oil early. There are always metal shavings to get rid of. After that I do it every 12 months or 10,000 miles whichever is less.

I did my first change at ~600 miles. No reason not to.

Find out if Porsche filled the engine with..., I dunno what they'd call it..., maybe "break in oil." I heard some mfgrs have a special formulations for break in; removing it early isn't recommended.

Metal particles? WTF? That's what the oil filter is for. Yup, I've seen them in oil and it's scary, but once they're in the crankcase they stay there or get stopped by filter, right?

I just change mine exactly every one year interval, new engine or not.

did it at 2k ...why wouldnt you

Vodoo, not necessary. Think Porsche is stupid? This is a hangover from the old days of change every 3,000 miles.

But, if it makes you feel better, go for it.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    I seem to remember hearing that moving parts are still bedding in on new engines and thus causing an accumulation of metal shavings. Can't hurt to change the oil earlier...

all porsche engines are tested/dynoed and have the oil changed before delivery from the factory. there should be no metal shavings issue. on the other hand it is relatively inexpensive to change it earlier so a lot of poeple do it, I didn't.

Quote:
    AAHTT said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

all porsche engines are tested/dynoed and have the oil changed before delivery from the factory. there should be no metal shavings issue. on the other hand it is relatively inexpensive to change it earlier so a lot of poeple do it, I didn't.

Interesting to know, thanks! How does that affect the run-in procedure?

You will get as many difeerent opinions on this as you will on proper break-in procedures. Having owned 30plus new cars from experience, the modern school of thought sees no need to change the oil so quickly prior to Mfg. suggestion.
    I still will change the oil after the first 6 months of ownership regardless of mileage. Its a cheap piece of mind move that cannot hurt your investment.

Interesting comments. I'm surprised by the amount (76%) of votes for - 'Why not Cant Hurt'.

On the flip side - Of course I expected guys to say it's a waste but I wonder how many of those guys would change out the oil early if it was part of a no cost maintenenance program?

Couple of observations - IMO even if Porsche felt it was a good idea to change out oil early they wouldnt admit to it openly in this day & age where there is a competition to see who can make vehicles w/ longer periods between maintenance.

- Even if the oil is changed out at the factory this doesnt simulate; thousands of miles of road conditions, dirt that would get into the engine, engine load, etc that all happens after, once on the road. And also if they change out oil at the factory why would they feel it necessary to change out oil so early if it is a waste?

- The greatest stresses on the engine are from the first couple of thousand miles & I agree the majority of whatever is going to be in the oil will be there from this period so imo changing it early makes sense.

- And like I mentioned although you're giving up some time & mileage by doing it early it's not like you're throwing out the total cost for an oil change. I wouldnt have waited for 7500 miles anyway I would have done it at the latest 5000 miles so by doing it at 2500 I rationalize it as costing me 1/2 the cost of an oil change by doing it early so for the what $150? Hell that's a tank and a half of gasoline for my SUV. If I can spend that on gas for a couple of weeks I can spend it to maintain my Turbo Cab. Like roadtrip said 'why wouldnt you'?

It's not like we're talking about oil that is good for 20,000 miles +. If there is no question about it that the oil should be changed at 7500 miles then it would seem to make sense that it would only be better for the engine to be changed out earlier than that.

In the end I cant help but feel exactly like RAKLAW; "Its a cheap piece of mind move that cannot hurt your investment."

Thanks for the comments from both sides.

It's a waste of money. Porsche dyno's every single engine before it goes into the car. Part of the process is to run the car at various rpm's for a pre-determined period of time. They basically break the motor in before it goes into the car. The oil is then changed before the engine is fitted. If it were required, the manual would definitely say so.

If changing the oil buys you peace of mind, go for it; but that's all the value you will get from it.

Holy Sheet! I just remembered something. For my new E46 M3 I was required to take her in for a crankcase and gearbox oil change after a mere 1200 miles. Unless BMW is/was using a "break in oil" for the high-strung M3 Stradale may be onto something.

Of course Porsche cares only about the cars getting thru warranty period, favorable emissions and mileage figures, and impressive-to-Paris-Hilton maintenance intervals.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Holy Sheet! I just remembered something. For my new E46 M3 I was required to take her in for a crankcase and gearbox oil change after a mere 1200 miles.

Me too, but it was covered under the maintenance program. They also changed the diff fluids.

and yet the S54 still blew up....

I just got a Lexus ISF for a daily driver.. Free oil change and service at 1000 miles or 6 months whichever sooner. I will pay for the upgrade to synthetic oil though.

Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:
    Holy Sheet! I just remembered something. For my new E46 M3 I was required to take her in for a crankcase and gearbox oil change after a mere 1200 miles.

Me too, but it was covered under the maintenance program. They also changed the diff fluids.

You are correct sir..., the diff fluids too..., I forgot.

BUT: WHY did BMW _require_ us to bring these M3 cars in? My assumption was they wanted to keep the more highly stressed _engine_ as happy as possible; give it the best chance for a long life. If so, it would make sense for us to change our P-car oil as soon as conveniently possible after break in.

I believe BMW still does the break in maintenance on M cars. If I recall correctly, the "M" button on my friends M6 did not work until after the break in service.

I guess my point was why does BMW require E46 M3 owners to bring their cars in for fluid changes at a mere 1200 miles?

Stradale was wondering about doing a very early oil change for his TT even though not required (not even mentioned) by Porsche.

I now ask what does BMW do/think/believe _differently_ than Porsche in this regard?

I'm now thinking it's a GOOD idea to do what Stradale wants to do.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    I guess my point was why does BMW require E46 M3 owners to bring their cars in for fluid changes at a mere 1200 miles?

Stradale was wondering about doing a very early oil change for his TT even though not required (not even mentioned) by Porsche.

I now ask what does BMW do/think/believe _differently_ than Porsche in this regard?

Is it the same type of Oil for the Bimmer; Mobil1?

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

BMW recommends Castrol Syntec.

Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

BMW recommends Castrol Syntec.

But it's Synthetic. MMD is on to something.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

But it's Synthetic. MMD is on to something.

Maybe. If your car needed an oil change the manufacturer would have recommended it though. However, you basically have to do it now anyway. If you don't and something breaks down the road, you'll look back at this and say you should have and I can't live with the guilt!

Did mine at 2700 miles.

Jeff
    07 997TT

Quote:
    AAHTT said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

This is exactly what my service adviser says as well. Oil is changed once before we get the car. I am planning to keep this car. Why would service says not needed? It's not to thier advantage, right? They are probbaly just being honest. once a year sound about right but man it feels good to know you have fresh oil in there We shall see. Good topic!!!!

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Quote:
    AAHTT said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

This is exactly what my service adviser says as well. Oil is changed once before we get the car. I am planning to keep this car. Why would service says not needed? It's not to thier advantage, right? They are probbaly just being honest. once a year sound about right but man it feels good to know you have fresh oil in there We shall see. Good topic!!!!

It's not like the engine will fail during the warranty period . But really, $150 for an oil change, like Gregg says, is no big deal and when your car costs 1000 times as much, I don't see a reason not to do it.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

No.

My 2004 E46 M3 must have ONLY Castrol TWS Motorsport 10W-60.

"Entire" service dept said this oil was explicitly required, no other oil was permissible. No smiles, no casual looks, just implied "you had better" use this oil.

Weird huh? But true; that's what the message.

BTW, At the time I was hoping to use from a case of BMW synthetic I had; they said to use that for something else.

Because of engine's tendency to..., ahem..., "self redesign" this is the oil you must use for E46M3. FWIW

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    690990 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410131 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256181 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235404 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65744 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858793 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775098 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM