Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: The UNRELIABLE 997 has NO spare. Any ideas?

Sorry, I couldn't resist

Re: The 997 has NO spare. Any ideas?

Quote:
    MaxErnst said:
    The 997 is now a very unreliable car. When you get a flat, you are stuck at the side of the road.

Hey, don't tell me to just call "Porsche roadside assistance" and have them help. I literally don't have _all__day_ to have someone else fix a problem that should normally take 15 minutes.

I think it is ABSOLUTELY STUUUPID to drive a car without having a spare on board.

That said, is there, or will there be, ANY compact spare tire and wheel which will fit the 997S?

I'm not buying the car without a 15 minute solution to a flat tire problem.

The "fix-a-flat" spray goo is NOT a solution IMO.

I understand your concern but I also think you have a little problem regarding your temper.
    Writing with CAPITAL LETTERS is considered shouting, so please calm down. You're acting like somebody who just bought a 997 and had a flat tire. But I bet you hadn't.

Let me explain a few things:
    I drove around 300000 km (more than 180000 mls) over the past 10 years in almost every country in Europe including some regions in Eastern Europe which are "famous" for bad streets. Never had a flat tire. I had a flat tire once around 19 years ago, in Romania. I had a spare tire with me and yes, I was happy.

But now explain to me a few things:
    1. where do you travel with your 997 that you don't find a roadside assistance or a Porsche dealer to help you out, maybe even with a new tire?
    2. have you ever tried to put a 295 19'' wheel with a flat tire into your 997?

The fix-a-flat spray works as well as a inflatable spare, it has been tested over and over again. Unless you ripp off half of the tire...

So honestly, I understand your outrage but what was is actually all about?

BTW: do you have spare fuses with you in your car? Do you have extra fuel with you in your car? Do you have an extra engine or gearbox with you in the car or even an extra clutch?
    Because it is much more likely to encounter these problems first before you get a flat tire.

Quote:
    RC said: I had a flat tire once around 19 years ago, in Romania. I had a spare tire with me and yes, I was happy.

Of course you were, everybody here knows how to repair a flat tire
    The old-school solution of rubber patch and glue never failed

Quote:
    brunner said:
    Quote:
    RC said: I had a flat tire once around 19 years ago, in Romania. I had a spare tire with me and yes, I was happy.

Of course you were, everybody here knows how to repair a flat tire
    The old-school solution of rubber patch and glue never failed

No rubber patch and glue on a high performance tire, you can forget about it. The only solution (but I was lucky I didn't need it) was to put an inflatable tire hose (I don't know if this is the right english word ) inside the non hose equipped tire.
    It was safe up to a certain speed.
    Unfortunately you can't do it anymore, there is no way how to find such a hose for a 18'' or 19'' tire.

Oh, I forgot something: I had to exchange two tires because of the "souvenirs" I collected in them: bolts, screws, glass, weird stuff made of iron/steel, etc. But only once I had a flat.

RC,

That's a good point about fitting a 295 tire in the back. I can just imagine me trying to place that tire in the back next to my kid sitting in his booster chair.

About these tire sealants being proven, in what situations would they fail? It sounds like sidewall punctures are one situation.

I remember vaguely, a commercial for a tire sealant product on TV where a guy drilled like a dozen holes into a tire and it held pressure after driving for a bit.

I ran over a beer bottle recently while visiting the Fort Worth Stockyards. The resulting gash was not repairable with sealant. I'm glad I had a spare. I am also frequently in places that are hundreds of miles from a Porsche dealer and running over discarded bottles is something that could happen anywhere. Although this is the first time I have had a flat in many years, Murphys Law says it's going to happen to everyone sometime, usually at the worst time and place. I think carrying a spare, even a space saver, is still a good idea.

rc is right ,lets suppose you have a spare tyre, any idea of where to put the flat 295 /19? when we will find the place ,we could discuss this matter more seriously.. and if the spare tyre is holding you to buy the 911 ,an suv suits you more..

The reason you don't disable the airbag is simple

Remove Spare = Consequence is wasted time
    Remove Airbag = Consequence is your head get's smashed

You are correct that both an accident and a puncture are low occurance events - however the consequences after those events do happen differ drastically. So your argument is pretty silly.

Re: The reason you don't disable the airbag is simple

I live in a Eastern European country and I just bought a 997C2, so maybe what I have to say will mean something to you guys: frankly, if I have a severe tire damage I rather don't move the car no matter what Porsche or other car/tire manufacturer will tell me. With the potholes around here I will damage something else for sure. So, even the small size spare (the mini spare as I call it) will not do it for me. Having two spare tires, one for front and one for rear, both placed on the car's rack is pretty funny to think about but it's not practical at all (Paris-Dakar rally with a 911 - just imagine ).
    For a minor tire puncture, the seal liquid will do it, so what's the fuss about ?

And by the way this problem is the same for many-many other car models not only 911's.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    MaxErnst said:

But now explain to me a few things:
    1. where do you travel with your 997 that you don't find a roadside assistance or a Porsche dealer to help you out, maybe even with a new tire?
    )

Two weeks after getting my spareless M3, I got a flat about 10AM. Took me the remainder of the day to get it fixed _and_ I was in a major city during regular business hours.

It messed up my whole business day.

I might as well have been driving an old junked up unreliable car.

Really made me mad!!!

All because BMW wanted to save a few bucks and try to sell their Roadside Assistence program.

Quote:
    Why is it every other car comes with a spare if tire punctures are becoming smaller?

M Series from BMW, some AMGs, any others come to mind? Be careful with blanket statments, they tend to erode your credibility if they can be proven untrue.

I have to agree, in part, with Nick - for once. You are diving a premier sports car that performs better than almost any other production car in the world. There are choices to be be made and consequences to suffer. If the spare issue is such a great detractor to such a stellar vehicle, buy something else. As far as "getting raped" by a tire store that has one in stock, give me a break. At least $80K for a vehicle and maybe a couple of hundred extra dollars for an IMMEDIATE solution to your inconvenience is going to (pardon the expression) blow you out? Don't buy the car if you can't handle the cost of maintenance. Its like the guy that insists on doing his own oil change to save the money, not because there is some satisfaction in it for him.

"At least $80K for a vehicle and maybe a couple of hundred extra dollars for an IMMEDIATE solution to your inconvenience is going to (pardon the expression) blow you out?"

Paying to play (ie: being on my 4th full set of tires on my 15k miles 996) is one thing, but getting boned while playing is not acceptable. If you're just gonna give it away, why not give it to charities than tire shops?

Quote:
    M Series from BMW, some AMGs, any others come to mind? Be careful with blanket statments, they tend to erode your credibility if they can be proven untru

Erode my credibility? Are you kidding me? On an internet forum? And what is the percentage of M's and AMGs in relation to the US market? Honda alone sells more cars in a month than M's and AMGs combined in a year. You'd think that cheap cars like Hondas would do away with frivilous things like spares if they are no longer needed. Geez. Get a grip. Porsche is not infallable. And a difference in opinon should be welcomed. I live in Texas, where the land is vast and Porsche dealers very far from each other. So having a spare is not a luxury, its a necessity.

If only a charity that will take me from 0 to 60 in less than 5 seconds exists ...

I can't believe people are worried about this !?!?!?

If you are SOOO worried about a flat - then a Porsche is not the car for you. Get a car with 4 run flats AND a spare and roadside service and a flat bed to follow you around in case it breaks down. I mean WHY do you spend the extra on a Porsche? Because they have the best option to take care of a blow out??? I doubt it... why worry about what could happen 1/100th of the time when he other 99% of the time is enjoyable and everything you could want in a sports car.

The 911 won't carry four people either, or drive over snow banks, and you can't shag in the back seat... but hey... it does so many other things well...

Re: I can't believe people are worried about this !?!?!?

Let me just set things straight, lacking a spare won't prevent me from ordering a 997, but what got my goat is all you die hards that see Porsche AG as infallible. There should be a spare on the 997. Its an everyday car, as we have already seen on another post. Everday cars should have a spare. Porsche spent how much money engineering the exhaust sound yet could not engineer a spare in the 997? How can that be?

Re: The reason you don't disable the airbag is simple

Quote:
    Pentium said:
    Paris-Dakar rally with a 911 - just imagine

Overall win in 1984

Re: The UNRELIABLE 997 has NO spare. Any ideas?

Quote:
    Trundle996 said:
    Porsche Speak:
    With the risk of a tyre puncture becoming smaller all the time these days, and with a spare wheel, tools and a car jack meaning extra weight, the new 911 Carrera for the first time dispenses with all these features. Mobility in the event of an emergency is ensured instead by a tyre sealant and an electrical compressor. This allows adequate repair of small punctures such as a nail, the driver filling the tyre sealant into the hole before proceeding at reduced speed (not more than 80 km/h or 50 mph) to the nearest Porsche Centre, without damaging the wheel, let alone the car itself, in the process. Leaving out the emergency wheel and car jack, the weight of the car is reduced by approximately 10 kilos or 22 lb.

Supposed to work for punctures up to 0.15in (4mm)
    Now you have a tyre filled with goo.. No fix just replace

I love the "drive to the nearest porsche centre", here in South Africa we have 2 porsche centres, they are about 1300Km apart, so its going to be a looooong drive if we get stuck out in the middle.

And the chances of a tire place here having the correct size in stock is 0%, so we would have to wait at least all day for a spare.

Hopefully there is enough space to put in a spare or space saver, I for one will be getting one as I have had 3 flats and 2 blowouts in the last few years.

Well guys,

what would you imagine were the last two cars I've seen with a tire puncture? Except for a truck with a blown tire, but they are driven a bit more every day...
    One of these two guys never changed a wheel on his car and had to read the instructions in the owners' manual while cars were passing by. Not a funny thing to imagine. The tire jumped of the rim so tire goo would've been a running gag on that day... And honestly I'd prefer to put on a space saver - sparewheel in stead of messing around with the tire goo!

In case you don't know, most of the time the air valve on the tire is clogged with glue so in case you are trying to put some more air into the tire before accessing tire rack or the closest dealer you migth be stuck again!

Please quit posting silly comments about over-cautious owners. I can absolutely understand this kind of complaints, though I luckily never had a puncture in my life yet! *knock on wood*
    The trunk in the C2 is not that much bigger than its predecessor's, especially if you consider the missing spare wheel! Guys, I don't think we talk about a corresponding spare wheel matching tire size front or aft, because even on the 986/996 there was only a space-saving spare wheel.

By the way, why doesn't Porsche think about run-flat tires? Are they so much heavier in unsprung weight? That would solve the whole problem! BMW offers them since a while on several models equipped with optional wheels!

Re: I can't believe people are worried about this !?!?!?

Quote:
    Texas911 said:
    Let me just set things straight, lacking a spare won't prevent me from ordering a 997, but what got my goat is all you die hards that see Porsche AG as infallible. There should be a spare on the 997. Its an everyday car, as we have already seen on another post. Everday cars should have a spare. Porsche spent how much money engineering the exhaust sound yet could not engineer a spare in the 997? How can that be?

lets suppose you have a spare , where do you put the flat 295/19 tyre????????? leave it on the street?????

There's no spare on my TT 3.2, just a can of foam. I've had a couple of punctures and it's never been a problem.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777186 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441684 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262777 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260944 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85216 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5568 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880651 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815930 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM