Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Lack of 997S wheels

I have a 997S being built in early October. Yesterday I received a call from Porsche Centre West London (Chiswick) to say that Porsche are going to run out of standard 19" wheels for the 'S' and that I couldn't have them for that build.

The options are that I have one of the other two options (Carrera Classic or Sport Design) BUT... I have to pay for them still!! Or, I wait for November build at the earliest and get my car late (my least favourite option).

My car is already specified (obviously) and the wheel option would just need adding on.

This will be my fourth car in succession from the same dealer.

My thoughts are;
    1) Why should I have to pay for a mistake by Porsche
    2) Why should I wait any longer for the car

Of the two I favour the Sport Design and I think if I make enough phone calls they would wave the cost.

Has anyone seen or got pictures of the new Sport Design, preferably on a car?? (Other than the ones in the brochure which are only side on).

Has anyone got any opinions on the above as a whole?

I have to make my decisioin by tomorrow morning.

Thanks.

Re: Lack of 997S wheels

You definitely should tell your dealer to deliver the car with other wheels at no cost. If you really want the std ones, negociate a deal so that your dealer delivers them as soon as available, maybe for a reasonnable price.
    Greetings,
    --Pierre

"Has anyone seen or got pictures of the new Sport Design, preferably on a car??"

Go to UK web page and play with the car configurator.

Quote:
    Andy Orange said:
    ...My thoughts are;
    1) Why should I have to pay for a mistake by Porsche...

My thoughts are that is was not necessarily a mistake on Porsche's part but that the S wheels are more popular than first anticipated including that they must be a popular option for the standard 997.

If it was my car, I would wait to get the car I exactly want.

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    Quote:
    Andy Orange said:
    ...My thoughts are;
    1) Why should I have to pay for a mistake by Porsche...

My thoughts are that is was not necessarily a mistake on Porsche's part but that the S wheels are more popular than first anticipated including that they must be a popular option for the standard 997.

If it was my car, I would wait to get the car I exactly want.

Surely that's a mistake then, not ordering or being in possession of enough wheels for a new model that's going to run for several years?
    I appreciate your comments though, I'm not madly in love with the standard items but neither am I with the others particularly. I had S/Design on my 996 which I've just sold but these are obviously very different, perhaps a little bit 'fussy'?
    You're probably right about waiting, I've had a look at the Porsche car configurator (thanks) but you just don't get the proper effect of the wheels.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Honestly, I wouldn't accept it. You want that damn wheel, GET it.

Wow!!, bad news indeed!!. And you say this is the 4th car you bought to the same dealer!!.What dealer should do, is install for free one of the other two wheel options, as; 1st, that's a problem of Porsche not yours, and 2ndly, because of your history with the same dealer (4 porsches).
    In my case, I have no problem at all, with the 997S this is already my 3rd car with the same dealer in less than a year and a half, treatment is excellent. For the other 2 previous models (a 996C4S and a C.cabrio), I had really good discounts, specially for the 996C4s. Now with the 997S, dealer gived me as "present" the PCM + a discount (not even similar to the other discounts but well..). I'm now negotiating with dealer the PSE, for free!!!.(pre-installation)
    Well just have good luck with your dealer!!

To everyone: the 997 is already at dealer since yesterday, so probably TOMORROW I'll see the car. And if there is no problems ( license registration etc..), I'll have the car THIS WEEK!!!!. Probably I'll post some photos this week or the next!!!
    I'm a happy man !!!

Quote:
    Andy Orange said:
    Surely that's a mistake then, not ordering or being in possession of enough wheels for a new model that's going to run for several years?

Unfortunately, this is a recurring theme with Porsche AG.

When I ordered my 2001 Turbo, the hollow-spoke wheels were "not available", even though they were specified as part of the basic configuration. They substituted solid-spoke wheels and took some money off of the MSRP when my car was delivered.

Agreed--I've experienced this a few times, especially when ordering a new option early in the model year. I guess their just-in-time supply chain management is a bit off!

A guy on another "forum" had the exact same problem. His dealer said that they would order the optional alloys for no extra cost and then swap them with the standard wheels from a demonstrator model in the showroom. I should think by October West London should have a couple of cars in so it could be possible.

Give them a bell and see what you can wangle!

Quote:
    poursha said:I guess their just-in-time supply chain management is a bit off!

We in manufacturing have a joke that says, "Just-in-time is often Just-too-late"!

Just-in-time component supply is a great concept for saving money on unnecessary inventory investment, but it sure screws things up for everybody when it doesn't work just right. Trust me, I know from painful experience.

I suspect there is someone with an MBA at the bottom of this no-wheels woodpile somewhere.

Quote:
    Alex18_996CC said:
    Now with the 997S, dealer gived me as "present" the PCM + a discount (not even similar to the other discounts but well..). I'm now negotiating with dealer the PSE, for free!!!.(pre-installation)
    Well just have good luck with your dealer!!

Bravo Alex! You've done very well getting a discount and 'presents'. Discount is a dirty word with UK Porsche dealers, best not to ask as a refusal often offends!
    Thanks for the reply and enjoy the new car!

Quote:
    Luke R said:
    A guy on another "forum" had the exact same problem. His dealer said that they would order the optional alloys for no extra cost and then swap them with the standard wheels from a demonstrator model in the showroom. I should think by October West London should have a couple of cars in so it could be possible.

Give them a bell and see what you can wangle!

Thanks Luke, I've got my speech prepared and I'll be on the phone first thing tomorrow! (I've tried moaning at the dealer and they've referred me to Porsche UK).

Andy...

I'm the person that Luke referred to above. I just ummed and ahhed and said that I really wasn't happy with the other wheels and eventually they have now said that they have got my car within the quota of S wheels without having to do any messing around with swaps on their static demo car.

I suspect that they have a certain quota that they can use, and are phoning ALL people with orders in that time-frame (not just the cars outside quota) to see how many people that they can get to swap. Once they have got enough people into the alternative wheels, they can then let the remainder have the 'S' wheels from the quota.

That's what I think happened to me as I didn't actually try that hard, I just prevaricated!

Tim

Quote:
    TimD said:
    Andy...

I'm the person that Luke referred to above. I just ummed and ahhed and said that I really wasn't happy with the other wheels and eventually they have now said that they have got my car within the quota of S wheels without having to do any messing around with swaps on their static demo car.

I suspect that they have a certain quota that they can use, and are phoning ALL people with orders in that time-frame (not just the cars outside quota) to see how many people that they can get to swap. Once they have got enough people into the alternative wheels, they can then let the remainder have the 'S' wheels from the quota.

That's what I think happened to me as I didn't actually try that hard, I just prevaricated!

Tim

Thanks Tim, I'm sure you're right, prevaricate I will!

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    poursha said:I guess their just-in-time supply chain management is a bit off!

We in manufacturing have a joke that says, "Just-in-time is often Just-too-late"!

Just-in-time component supply is a great concept for saving money on unnecessary inventory investment, but it sure screws things up for everybody when it doesn't work just right. Trust me, I know from painful experience.

I suspect there is someone with an MBA at the bottom of this no-wheels woodpile somewhere.

You're right--an efficient supply chain depends on accurate forecasting, and Porsche always seems to err on the low side. I remember when I ordered my '02 Carrera (September production), they were oversold on the new 18" Carrera wheels.

And let's not dump on the MBAs...it's usually the sales guy sandbagging!!!

First of all I find it ridiculous that they want you to pay for different wheels! No matter who's fault it is this shouldn't be the last word. I would strongly recommend the SportDesign wheels if you like them. There should be some pictures in the German catalogue, I can scan and mail them to you if you still need them.

Anyways, I suppose you'd apply just slight pressure on your salesman - it sounds to me that they don't have the urge to be over-polite...

By the way, did you take a look at that picture?

http://content3.eu.porsche.com/prod/911/911_common.nsf/deugerman/c_personalisation?OpenDocument&sc=carreras.nsf

Greetings!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762049 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435159 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260401 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257477 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80911 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872025 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807392 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM