Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Somewhat important OCD poll

So I got bored

Anyway, I was having a chat with one of my 911-owning friend and this question just pops up.

Both he and I press the crest to close, no fingerprints on the hood.

Re: Somewhat important OCD poll

You are not suppose to press the crest. You can cause damage!

You are suppose to press just below the crest.

My method is as follows: I never let the hood fall down by itself i.e. I always lower it by hand. It then rests on the latch mechanism for an instant before I lean gently on the hood (just below the crest but never on the crest itself) with the base of the palm of my hand to shut it. I don't like using my fingers to close it shut. Fingernails can make scratches if one isn't careful enough.

I do exactly what Easy does

I was looking at the "Quick Reference Guide" that came with my TT last night and it actually has a photo of the hood with the Porsche crest. It advises that you press down on the hood about 1-2 inches on either side of the crest at the same time. I don't remember if it said use your hands,
    fingers,cloth..etc....I'll re-visit it this weekend !

Quote:
    Alex_997TurboRSC said:

+1

Quote:
    Harpking said:
    I'll re-visit it this weekend !

No need to wait...

Quote:
    Harpking said:
    I was looking at the "Quick Reference Guide" that came with my TT last night and it actually has a photo of the hood with the Porsche crest. It advises that you press down on the hood about 1-2 inches on either side of the crest at the same time. I don't remember if it said use your hands,
    fingers,cloth..etc....I'll re-visit it this weekend !

The TURBO manual does say that so that's what I do. Since my hood is covered by Venture film palm/finger prints are no big deal to keep wiping off. Although I've seen it like Matt posted below too in other 997 manuals.

I wouldnt push on the crest, even though it has a rubber gasket over time you will probably create a problem.

I press _EXACTLY_ here along this _uttermost_ edge (red dots) with thumb and forefinger of one hand.

Never had a problem:

Looks like I've learned something today as I always press on the crest...

Hey Whoopsy, I thought I saw your TT drove by a few times, but you usually drive too fast and was gone before I say hi.

I was taught by the dealer to do it MMD's way, but now that I think about it, central pressure right on the lock as in Matt's picture seems to make more sense.

I always press mine right below the crest. I found that to be the best way because by pushing on the edge I can actually feel the metal "bend" (yeah it's probably my imagination) but hey...like Gregg says about the crest degrading over time, the metal might do the same.

The finger-thumb-edge-press idea seems best to me because I just checked. I inserted a wire probe thru the holes shown in bottom photo and found that there is nothing transferring load from the thin aluminum hood panel to the bolt-on latch base. It's empty air.

Looking at edge view (top and bottom photo) it seems the edge is a better bet for most solid pressure point.

There _may_ be some kind of backing plate installed directly behind the badge but It's very hard to tell with a wire probe.

I'm with MMD. I watched some things in service years ago, and the svc mgr showed me a warped hood....from pressing at the center. I use both outstretched hands/fingers across the points just left/right of center and press down gently, spreading the pressure across 4 pressure points. Never yet have I had a leading hood edge warped or bent in any way.

Quote:
    Alex_997TurboRSC said:

Ditto...except I'm even more anal in that there's always a cloth between my hands and the paint.

Pressing on the crest causes it to flatten. (Matt at DD deducts points at shows for this.) If you look closely you can tell one that hasn't been pressed from one that has. I always pressed at the very leading edge of the hood. Like others have said, with clear film prints are not a concern.

I guess I have a serious case of OCD then, I'd rather risk bending the hood/crest than to put fingerprints on the car.

On a side note, when I close the doors I always apply my pushing force ON the rubber strip between the window and door so as to NOT put fingerprints on either the door or the window........

I know, you guys can call me weirdo or even anal, haha.

Quote:
    Targa Tim said:
    Looks like I've learned something today as I always press on the crest...

Hey Whoopsy, I thought I saw your TT drove by a few times, but you usually drive too fast and was gone before I say hi.

The gas pedal seems to go down to the floor by itself, I swear I wasn't the one flooring it

Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    I guess I have a serious case of OCD then, I'd rather risk bending the hood/crest than to put fingerprints on the car.

On a side note, when I close the doors I always apply my pushing force ON the rubber strip between the window and door so as to NOT put fingerprints on either the door or the window........

I know, you guys can call me weirdo or even anal, haha.

No worries. No need to call people names. My father-in-law has OCD, so I understand the behavior. No big deal.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:

No worries. No need to call people names. My father-in-law has OCD, so I understand the behavior. No big deal.

What he said.

OCD is very strange, there was this pretty woman in my college class years back, she kept twirling her long beautiful hair and couldn't stop (unless both hands were occupied). It got so bad she started to develop carpal tunnel syndrome or some repetitive injury thing like it; very serious injury. Otherwise totally normal, fun and smart too.

AFAIK, Feeling like you want to keep your car looking nice all the time is not OCD. Doing the same cleaning effort over and over again _is_ a problem.

Very interesting fact as I use to press on the hood...

On another note I feel sorry for all of us...:D

It's interesting that many people picked that they pressed the crest to close, but most don't mention it in their post. Anyways, my salesperson told me to press on the crest so as not to put "dents" on the hood.

Quote:
    jeffbco said:
    ...there's always a cloth between my hands and the paint.

+1

Ok guys, you're all nuts. It's official.

I remember trying to close the font hood of a boxster at the brussels motor show.

I could not do it, and was trying to figure out how the heck it worked. As it just would not close, I started dropping the hood from way too high. The hood hit the bottom with a big bang.

I did it twice actually. I'm not really proud, but let's face it, it didn't do any arm to the car. The car is pretty solid, no need to treat it like a cristal vase.

Haha: we're definitely nuts.

As far as doing harm to car? Consider the _cumulative_ effect of closing the trunk. Which method will have the least impact over time? Perhaps pushing on the crest will create a deformity that's not visible until you all of a sudden notice it in unusual light?

The other thing? Maybe the latch mechanism needs adjustment from time to time? Noticed that on my friends 987. His trunk closed muuuuch more easily than mine.

I press just below the crest. Try to hit the spot on top of the hood where the latch is on the bottom of the hood.

Quote:
    imcarnuts said:
    I press just below the crest. Try to hit the spot on top of the hood where the latch is on the bottom of the hood.

Check out above photos. There's no support beneath that spot under the crest to transfer the load of hand pressure directly to latch.

I slam it hard and then sit on it! LOL! Actually I push on the crest to close it. What really pisses me off is how easy the damn thing opens when you put the keys in your pocket! I've come back to a popped open trunk more than a half dozen times. I never store any valuables (cameras, etc) for that reason. I guess the only thing of any value is the Nav as I did not opt for the CD changer. I will bring this to my dealers attention soon.....finally Porsche is changing the key for 09!

Quote:
    gradyex said:
    I slam it hard and then sit on it! LOL!

Hey gradyex, I wonder how many of us would approve of this closing technique. Granted it can't be used every time you want to close it but for those special occasions this would be a satisfying alternative.

This post is just a lame excuse to repost this photo of a Lambo on a Porsche board.

I never have to close the hood, because I never open it. There is nothing in there (like no spare) to begin with, so there is no reason to open it. I let the service people deal with it.

MMD they can close my hood anytime! WOW!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    804111 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448750 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266373 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90173 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6768 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886103 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834593 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM