Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

As far as I am concerned the GT-R issue is moot

this will not play well with most automobile enthusiast.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080516/FREE/96374118/1528/newsletter01

Re: As far as I am concerned the GT-R issue is moo

Quote:
    nberry said:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080516/FREE/96374118/1528/newsletter01

I agree that the issue is moot. 1500 units a year into the US of this unbelievable, industry-changing monster of an engineering feat and they've only pre-sold 900 of them so far. Yawn... That makes 900 "enthusiasts" in total, minus the speculators of course.

The best thing about this car appears to be the hype Nissan can generate with it.

Obvioulsy Nissan doesn't want to mass produce this car. I odubt they make much money on them...

As I understand it the GTR is substantially over subscribed in the UK. I have also had two dealers from whom I have purchased 911's previously informing me that I can have a facelift 911 without problem. They did fall short of offering me a good price for my 9000 mile 911 S. interesting!

Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

I agree that the issue is moot. 1500 units a year into the US of this unbelievable, industry-changing monster of an engineering feat and they've only pre-sold 900 of them so far. Yawn... That makes 900 "enthusiasts" in total, minus the speculators of course.

The best thing about this car appears to be the hype Nissan can generate with it.

What in the ignorant hell?! Hype? Are you not seeing the numbers? Are you not reading the world wide reviews?

The car hasn't even hit the states yet and the allocation is already 60% sold out for a car that has never been in the United States, has zero heritage/fellowship in North America (beyond a few people who were lucky enough to gray market them in), and is coming from a manufacturer that is not known for playing in this price point.

Yes, from a styling standpoint - it's not everyone's cup of tea - but you can't argue with the numbers.

I think it's a pretty telling statement.

They better up the presales before people start getting their hands of them and start to discover that it might not quite live up to all they hype.

Quote:
    thuggy said:
    They better up the presales before people start getting their hands of them and start to discover that it might not quite live up to all they hype.

60% sold through, with gas prices the way they are, and the state of the American economy...I think Nissan's done a pretty admirable job without investing a single dollar in marketing development funds.

900 doesn't sound like a lot. How many M5 are sold per year?

Quote:
    SciFrog said:

My theory: the GTR is primarily admired by those who cannot afford buying it...

This makes no sense, Nissan can make 10 of these per year it will never be a classic no matter what so why not make more?

Quote:
    edz said:
    This makes no sense, Nissan can make 10 of these per year it will never be a classic no matter what so why not make more?

One explanation could be if it were an image-building loss-leader, in which case: the more cars they build, the more money they lose.

Maybe Nissan is too embarrassed to have too many of these ugly cars on the road?

Quote:
    Heist said:

What in the ignorant hell?! Hype? Are you not seeing the numbers? Are you not reading the world wide reviews?

The car hasn't even hit the states yet and the allocation is already 60% sold out for a car that has never been in the United States, has zero heritage/fellowship in North America (beyond a few people who were lucky enough to gray market them in), and is coming from a manufacturer that is not known for playing in this price point.

Yes, from a styling standpoint - it's not everyone's cup of tea - but you can't argue with the numbers.

I think it's a pretty telling statement.

Settle down. Did you buy one? This car has a huge following among the Playstation generation as it's been in every Gran Turismo. Those are the people that care about the car, and obviously they don't have the money to buy them.

Yeah, I read the world wide reviews, and it's mind boggling that such a superstar has only sold 900 allocations in an extremely affluent country even though this thing is billed as the second coming. Everyone raves about this car until it comes time to actually buy one.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:

Bingo. Porsche sold over 12,000 911's in 2006 in North America. That's 12000 people who have the means to spend $80K on a car, just not GT-R's I guess. The car just doesn't seem to 'do it' for the majority of people with the money to buy one, and those are the ones that count, aren't they? That's the true measure of the car.

$90k only if you're tired of living and not sure how to spend your money.

$40k sounds good for an overweight $hitbox

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Maybe Nissan is too embarrassed to have too many of these ugly cars on the road?

Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:

Bingo.

But doesn't that apply to all cars and to all drivers aspiring to own "out-of-the-ordinary" cars.

When you have achieved a goal, you have to raise your sights when you start looking for the next object of your admiration.
    Which explains why many people who currently drive Ferraris, Lambos, AMs or Porsches would find it hard to "step down" to a GTR, even IF (big "if" ) it proved to be as good in real-world series-production form as it has been hyped up to being.

Nick, It might not be pretty, but at those numbers it will be exclusive.

And just for WBH, The 09 CL550 will have 4matic AWD and be the true car of choice for high net worth guys in BH/London/Greenwich. Its finally been perfected for curb jumping to clear those pesky street people from the sidewalks in front of Tiffanys!

The new 09 CL will rule!

Nissan is not stupid. They are taking a page out of the Porsche play book. Recall the 996TT? The initial numbers were low and when Porsche saw the opportunity to make a ton of money they open the floodgates and began to build the 996TT like there was no tomorrow.

The GT-R looks to me like a great track car. It will humiliate all the super cars for a lot less money right out of the box. That said, I have my limits and refuse to pay a premium for this car.

Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:

Bingo. Porsche sold over 12,000 911's in 2006 in North America. That's 12000 people who have the means to spend $80K on a car, just not GT-R's I guess. The car just doesn't seem to 'do it' for the majority of people with the money to buy one, and those are the ones that count, aren't they? That's the true measure of the car.

12,000 units is an easy number when Porsche has 60 years of history behind the 911 and a generational affinity and buying base spanning nearly 3 generations.

GT-R has only one solid generation at best, and the core people who knew about the car in the US were from the Playstation generation - i.e. 15-35; i.e. not exactly the age where you have $80K to plunk down on a car unless you've been very successful/lucky at business or a trustfundian.

How many of those 911 sales are new to the brand/product customers? That's probably a better comparison.

Still, we can go back and forth on this forever.

I personally think selling out 60% of your inventory in pre-sales before anyone has even had a chance to drive the car on something as radical as this is a pretty good achievement.

Think if Porsche sold out 60% of the Cayenne ..
    BMW the Mini ...
    Or VW the Phaeton ...

All of which were pretty radical departures for their respective brands.

Quote:
    Heist said:

Think if Porsche sold out 60% of the Cayenne ..
    BMW the Mini ...
    Or VW the Phaeton ...

All of which were pretty radical departures for their respective brands.

True, but the Mini had nostalgia behind it and the baby boomers BMW was targeting had the money to buy them. BMW still does well with them.

The Phaeton was an Audi R8 with a different badge and was designed for well-heeled customers. It didn't sell well at all. It's actually similar to the GT-R as dealers had to decide if they wanted to sell the vehicle and a lot said no, it wasn't worth it.

The GT-R is designed to appeal to younger people who are into tuner cars; the Fast and Furious types. They typically don't have the money to actually buy one, and Nissan knows that. That could be why they are only sending 1500 over this year. It's almost like Ferrari, marketing on exclusivity. Creating a demand by limiting supply. I figured with guys like around who obviously likes this thing and can afford one, they would have sold all 1500 by now.

Quote:
    Heist said:
    Quote:
    thuggy said:

60% sold through, with gas prices the way they are, and the state of the American economy...I think Nissan's done a pretty admirable job without investing a single dollar in marketing development funds.

Undisguised test cars making laps shadowed by a 997TT for all the spy photographers to shoot. Hopped up test cars making their way around the world to seemingly any magazine willing to rave about it, truly unbelievable ring times flying all over the web and you don't think Nissan has spent any marketing money?

Quote:
    nberry said:

The GT-R looks to me like a great track car. It will humiliate all the super cars for a lot less money right out of the box.

Yes but the GTR is too heavy and hard on tires and brakes for regular track use. There are faster, lighter, cheaper and much more fun track cars like the Radical SR4. http://www.radicalsportscars.com/range/sr4/sr4.php

And if you bought and tracked a Radical your Rennteam status would rise dramatically.

Pre-ordered GTR's are now being yanked out from under buyers' noses in the US despite having deposits down for over 1 year. Dealers are selling to the highest bidder on the cars at $100k or over. At these hyper speculation prices, the GTR is not going to humiliate anyone but the fleeced buyer. It is not hard to believe that the Nissan dealers would be even less ethical than the Audi R8 dealers

Re: As far as I am concerned the GT-R issue is moot

Nissan has stated that they will far exceed the proposed 1500 per year number if the demand is there. I believe they are capable of producing something like 6000 units annually if they want. There are many GT-Rs that have been pre-sold for a $5-$10k premium and many others that have gone for MSRP. The over $100k numbers are not commonplace. My friend in Texas said that the dealer initially wanted $20k over, then he recently dropped that to $10k over. This was a month ago. I hooked him up with my dealer who will get him one at MSRP.

Quote:
    AUM said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

The GT-R looks to me like a great track car. It will humiliate all the super cars for a lot less money right out of the box.

Yes but the GTR is too heavy and hard on tires and brakes for regular track use. There are faster, lighter, cheaper and much more fun track cars like the Radical SR4. http://www.radicalsportscars.com/range/sr4/sr4.php

And if you bought and tracked a Radical your Rennteam status would rise dramatically.

Where is my status now?

When I used the term to track a car I meant you would be able to drive it TO the track. Not so with the Radical.

Also, it appears there remains a significant number of Rennteamer's who remain in denial. Whatever they may want to say about the GT-R, it is the best performance car being sold for under $200,000.

How odd.

You give Nissan a complete pass about the credibility of their claims.

Kool Aide is best chilled!

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    How odd.

Jim, no Kool Aide. Magazines that got there hands on the GT-R, after running their own independent tests, have generally all come to the conclusion that Nissan is UNDEREPORTING the car's numbers.

Quote:
    thuggy said:
    Quote:
    Heist said:
    Quote:
    thuggy said:

Undisguised test cars making laps shadowed by a 997TT for all the spy photographers to shoot. Hopped up test cars making their way around the world to seemingly any magazine willing to rave about it, truly unbelievable ring times flying all over the web and you don't think Nissan has spent any marketing money?

How much does that cost Nissan though? No P&L hit my man. Free press is free press.

Quote:
    Heist said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    How odd.

Jim, no Kool Aide. Magazines that got there hands on the GT-R, after running their own independent tests, have generally all come to the conclusion that Nissan is UNDEREPORTING the car's numbers.

So the cars in Nissans press fleet have more hp than claimed in the production cars.

With that reported discrepancy, I suggest we wait and see what a show room floor GT-R can and cannot achieve.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    811704 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    451591 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    270276 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91662 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    8476 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

890555 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    847869 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM