Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Bad news? Porsche's 4th model

A german car magazine just issued this information:

Around 2004/2005, Porsche will introduce it's 4th model line.
    It will be a van based on the Cayenne and using the Cayenne engines. Something similar to Mercedes' upcoming GTS class.

I couldn't believe my eyes. No grand tourismo or limousine but a...V.A.N. . Ouch!
    Don't know yet how reliable this information is but this car magazine didn't mention it as a rumor but as a fact. Ouch again.
    If this proves to be true, Ferrari or Lamborghini have a new customer in the future. I understand the need of the Cayenne but if a sports car company like Porsche thinks they have to serve the mass market for profit only, I'm out of the game.
    If I need a VW, I buy one...don't need a Porsche.

Re: Bad news? Porsche's 4th model

dubbel ouch!
    But I don't think we need to sell our cars by now. Time will tell if Porsche is really going to commit suicide.
    Can you tell me which magazine? Are there also any pictures attached?

As they put, supposedly, Sports into SUV, if they build a VAN they'll for sure put the Vomit into VAN

I hope this is wrong but just about now Ferrari looks darn good

I read from another mag that the 4th model will be a GT (competing with the 575 and Bentley GT) which sounds much better than a VAN!!!
    I read that from Auto Express in the UK, supposedly not a rumour.
    But how much can you trust journalists these days?
    As long as PAG hasn't made any comments I don't believe it 100%

I don't think they will build a van. They tried that already...remember the Varrera.

I think a truck based on the Cayenne is more likely...

or Porsche's 4th model could be this one

Yes Much Better, Thanks RON

The GT story

... is almost one year old.

Varrera...no such thing

This was just a "joke" and computer "enhanced" picture, this thing never came from Porsche.

Avoe...

... MOT. A pretty serious car magazine, one reason why I think this might be true. First thing I did when I read this article, I checked the date. No, no april's fool day.

I'll talk to a few people this week, maybe I can find out more.
    If Porsche wants to serve the "mass market" (they already do that with the 911 and Boxster...unfortunately ), why not building a high power limousine a la E55 AMG? Would be much better.

Re: well well well

what vehicle concept is by far the most different compared to the traditonal porsche sport cars?

IMHO a big, four-door off-road vehicle...

...the cayenne

they only thing in common: it's hip and there's an overlap concerning the target audience.

but it has NOTHING to do with traditional porsche values and their sports cars.

so why are you all shocked when they continue following the route they took?

maybe in some years time, porsche will be a car manufacturer like BMW or merc. at least this seems to be wiedekings goal.

but i have my doubts, they lost a customer already. my next car will be a ferrari.

I agree with you Zzoba but don't be so harsh, you can't blame people bc they want to make more money
    What I do hope is that they will invest profit into motorsport, I want to see Porsche win Le Mans again, and into more sport cars.
    And if you change brand, do me a favor, don't go for Ferrari, you can get a Ferrari engineered by Germans, perfect no?
    It's called a Lamborghini
    Take care,
    Fanch.

Re: Varrera...no such thing

If the "Varrera" never existed then why did Porsche Trademark the name? Look under trademarks on the page:
    Porsche Legal Notice

fanch,
    why don't you like ferrari? maybe the cars are not that a good daily drive like porsches, but why do i buy sports cars? if for track days only i would go for the elise, if for engine power i would go for the SL55 AMG...
    what i really want is emotion, image, design, sound... the modena (i signed a contract for the successor) is perfect and if ferrari is going to improve it due to the fact that lambo is planning a equally priced competitor... even better!
    but i love lamborghini as well. the miura is my favorite classic sports car, the countach the #1 dream car of my childhood. and i would rather get the murcielago over the 575MM, but the murci's price tag is far beyond my financial capabilities...

Zzoba

Here's a little secret,
    I don't hate Ferrari, I actullay love the Modena, it is to me one of the most beautiful cat ever designed and one of the best sounding too.
    I just think their interior is not great for such a price tag and they're not as reliable as Porsche, nor don't have the same understated image.
    I bet a 996 X51, X74 gives a good beating to a 360, that's how good Porches are:
    345hp german = 400 hp Italian
    But, don't get me wrong, I might well have a nice Ferrari one day. I just love the design of the 246 Dino
    Take care,
    Fanch.
    PS: One thign I can't argue though, PASSION, much more emotion behind the wheel of a ferrari

Re:

Hey guys.

Let's say like this. My opinion is, i don't care if porsche will produce a sports limousine in the near future or a van. Of course it sounds some kinda ugly. But lets not forget that Porsche had to go through hard times. They survived and the made it to stay independent. How? one of the main ideas, were to build the boxter and the other idea was to make the 911 more accomodating. By sharing to many parts with the boxter for saving money and increasing profit. Very good for Boxter drivers, not so good for 911 fans. So that many SL drivers will go for a 911. The 911 is a very good car, but i'm sure that the were/are able to make it much sportier. In as aspect of emotions. Sound, suspention, power etc.
    So what I hope is, that the make their wished profit with other/new models, and invest more money in Motorsports and for the most important (for me), for builing a light 911 which is better than the modena, in every point. So maybe than we will have a "Modena" as a daily driver. So that the 911 will return to be BY FAR the best sports car as a few years ago. In this way the legend of the porsche 911 will also will be able survive.
    If the won't go this way, then in a few years, the 911 will be in every way the competitor for the M3.

br
    Avi

Trademark

There has been a story related to the "Varrera" rumor:
    Porsche registered the name Varrera a while ago and the press found out. This was at a time when nobody knew that the newest Prosche model will be a SUV.
    Then, this crazy "Varrera" computer enhanced image appeared (as far as I know this was actually a mule from Renault) in the press and everybody was talking about the Porsche "Varrera".
    Does this explanation satisfy you? If not, I can't offer any better.

fanch:

Sunday October 20th:

Monza racetrack.

4-5 996 GT3s present
    The fastest of these GT3s driven by a guy who comes regularly at Monza and is a very skilled driver had a best lap of around 2 m 20 sec.
    My best lap of the day in my stock Modena (it was before the sport package installation) was 2.15.

Furthermore during one lap I stayed behind him exiting the parabolica and we both did the whole straight changing at redline, and I overtook him during the straight only by superior acceleration.

I would think twice before betting any money on an X51 vs a Modena, in fact on a twisty circuit and with skilled drivers also the 996TT would have a tough contest.

345 Porsche hp = 345 Ferrari hp (and the Modena has 400!)

Re: fanch:

Well,
    Luigi, the numbers speak for themselves,
    Fair enough then.
    Congrats on your time, you must be a hell of a good driver
    I always thought the GT3 would be faster than a Modena, the Turbo too actually, but you proved me wrong
    I still love Porsche though.
    Hopefully, the Carrera GT will do better than the Modena on a race track
    Take care,
    Fanch.

Re: fanch:

Actually the turbo is a bit faster in straight line acceleration.
    And in a fast track like Monza where acceleration and braking power are more important than speed carried in corners, a Turbo would be a bit faster than the Modena.

What's really impressive about the 360, is the balance and reactivity of the whole car when taken at and well beyond its limits, it has very little inertia and let's you bond with it in a way that reminded me of a bigger fuller Lotus Elise.

The Carrera GT will surely be much, much faster than the Modena on a track, actually I would love to see the Enzo vs the Carrera GT in a twisty technical track.Not too much between them IMO.

Luigi...

...I won't comment now on the Turbo vs. Modena thing but you shouldn't forget one thing: the most important part of a car is...the driver. A lot of 996 GT3/996 Turbo drivers don't know how to drive these cars, sad but true.
    The Modena has a very nice setup but due to it's design, it might be dangerous too if you're not careful. Apparently you're a good driver and the Modena suits you well. And apparently some Porsche drivers should take some driving lessons.

Yeah ok,

Ok ok Christian,
    I get the message but my first crach was bc I lent the car to someone and the second was bc of aquaplaning, but you're right though, I would love to take some proper lessons, it's being planned.

Have a nice week end everyone,
    Fanch.

Re: Yeah ok,

Francois, dear Veteran (just saw your User status ), I didn't make any comment on your driving skills.
    I was actually referring to the Porsche drivers I know personally. But this is generally a good idea...attending a sports car driving school.

Here's a link for our international Users:

Porsche Driving School (International incl. USA)

I agree,

driver skill is the most important variable of the equation, it makes a world of difference.

BTW Christian, I might be going to the Nuerburgring next week end.Would you be able to meet me there or is it too far from where you live?

Luigi

I'd love to meet you at the Nuerburgring but I'm happy if I have the time to drive my Turbo for half an hour in my neighborhood...around 600 km away from the Nuerburgring.
    If you pass through Bavaria (Munich area), we might find a way to meet if you want to. Just drop me a mail shortly before you leave.

Re: Luigi

If I do make the trip I'll stop in your area,so that we can have a drink.

Re: Luigi

Well, I don't know about the drink but me, my wife and my little one would be delighted to meet you.

Re: Trademark

I've done some research and the Varrera was a prototype based on the Volkswagen Sharan. First Porsche developed an engine for a Volkswagen Sharan Concept and then they built the Varrera prototype. This was back in 1994-1995 just a year or two after they showed the Boxster Concept car and before they decided to build an SUV. Porsche trademarked the name in 1995.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777207 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441699 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262779 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260951 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85223 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5568 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880655 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815942 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM