Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Aston Martin V8 Vantage MY2009

4733ccm V8
    420hp
    470Nm(346lbs)
    180mph(290km/h)
    0-60mph: 4.7s
    0-100km/h: 4.8s

18% lighter clutch
    Center Console a la DBS
    Improved manual and Sportshift
    Dual Throttle maps
    Bilstein Dampers standard

Optional Sports pack option for both coupe and roadster with 5 spoke 19" wheels(the same one as on DB9 Sports Pack), new Bilstein aluminium dampers with improved dynamic response and reduced friction

Few new exterior and interior colors
    At least 5s faster on the Ring then old version(8.03min)...

Re: Aston Martin V8 Vantage MY2009

Thanks a lot Kreso for the news

Thanks Kreso Do you know when we can expect the AMV8 to be officialy anounced?

Official info? Maybe tomorrow...

Thanks v much for the info KresoF1

Only 420bhp from a 4.7L V8? Max speed only 180mph? Maybe I'm just too optimistic but I would have expected them to do a bit better than this...

Easy,

I think that power/torque values are more then OK. V8 Vantage is now more about in gear acceleration... I think it will be an awsome car.

Checking the data above someone can come to a single conclusion. Technologically the car is a failure. We can see some horsepower gains but be sure that there will be weight increase too. So what seems to be the difference between the new one and the older model? Fuel consumption maybe? Performance specs also point out a "weak" car towards competition. For example E92 M3 will definitely smoke this AM anytime anyplace. And new M3's engine capacity is 0.7lt less than AM's. I personally wouldn't buy this car due to reliability issues and bad performance. If the word "awesome" stands for good design then yes the car is awesome. If the same word stands for performance, I definitely disagree. Moreover, take it on the track, then you'll definitely see a lot of other cars' tail lights...

Ultimately, we buy with our hearts gentlemen. If you don't agree then you should sell your Porsche / Ferrari's / Aston's and go and buy a butt ugly Nissan GTR because like it or not, in the "real" world it will probably smoke most cars and unless you spend hours on tracks and have had lots of training in your arse ended Porsche or your precious Fezza you probably will not keep up with some young punk in a GTR.

Do I like the ASTON - hell yeah! Do I prefer it over a GTR - absolutely. Do i give a rats that its power to weight ratio ain't quite there - NO!

If performance is what is really valuable I would like to add "REAL WORLD" before the word "Performance" because lets face it even the 997 GT3 will have problems keeping up with some cars on real world roads in real world rain.

Rant over.

Quote:
    Georgie997S said:
    Checking the data above someone can come to a single conclusion. Technologically the car is a failure. We can see some horsepower gains but be sure that there will be weight increase too. So what seems to be the difference between the new one and the older model? Fuel consumption maybe? Performance specs also point out a "weak" car towards competition. For example E92 M3 will definitely smoke this AM anytime anyplace. And new M3's engine capacity is 0.7lt less than AM's. I personally wouldn't buy this car due to reliability issues and bad performance. If the word "awesome" stands for good design then yes the car is awesome. If the same word stands for performance, I definitely disagree. Moreover, take it on the track, then you'll definitely see a lot of other cars' tail lights...

Have you seen it in real?
    Have you sat in?
    Have you heard it?
    Have you tried it?

Cars are more than performance on a piece of paper, else we would all be driving Nissans... M3? Come on, here someone buying a AMV8 won't even consider buying an M3, sad but true. And the M3 isn't really faster anyway...

Back on the 09, nice improvements, but not enough to jump from an 08 Roadster to an 09. Extra torque at low RPM is nice, not a huge fan of the new console. If you wanted huge torque you would get a 997TT anyway.

Happy to see AM making changes every year and listening to costumers. Porsche could learn a lesson there.

Quote:
    Georgie997S said:

+1 never liked AM's not realiable in any way or form

what about exterior changes? any touch-ups??

I like Aston Martin a lot. The Vantage is cool in my book. How much newer is the E90 M3 compared to the original Vantage design? As history proves, newer cars are usually faster than older ones.

Could you blame a person for wanting the older Enzo given the newer Scuderia is just capable? Could you blame a person wanting the older Carrera GT even though the newer GT2 is just as quick on paper?

Porky Tokyo makes some good points as well as SciFrog in terms of Aston Martin listening to is customers.

Quote:
    Marwan Arakji said:
    what about exterior changes? any touch-ups??

No. Only three new colors.

Quote:
    Italo said:
    Quote:
    Georgie997S said:

What problems did you have with yours? Mine has been 100% reliable in every way and form.

I would take the Vantage before the GTR. It looks like a modern sculpture.

Quote:
    ... Happy to see AM making changes every year and listening to costumers. Porsche could learn a lesson there.

I am not so sure if all the costumers think in this way. It would pi** me personally off, if I would buy such a car and and see how they are changing/improving it every year. 3-4 years is ok.
    Anyway ASTON rocks, they have the best designed cars imo. Driving an Aston is more an individuall lifestyle, then looking at tenth of seconds what is written on papers.

Quote:
    Friscorays said:
    Quote:
    Italo said:
    Quote:
    Georgie997S said:

What problems did you have with yours? Mine has been 100% reliable in every way and form.

The only things that are stoping me from getting an AMV8 is the lack of power and the "perceived" reliability issues. The first one will be addressed in 2009, but i stil have my worries about the second one, especialy that I entend to use it as my daily car. Could you please share with us any reliability issue you might have.

Most reliability problems I have heard about AM had to with the Vanquish tranny.

A car that i was sitting in a couple weeks back that is even better looking than the V8 was a brand new Jaguar XK-R. Gorgeous inside and out. The same wood work inside and it also has 420 hp.

It's basically a cousin, but a lot cheaper, both nice

yarub1,

Here is my list of reliability issues with the V8 after two years and 15K miles: none / zero /zip / zilch / nada (which seems in line with most owners over at AMOC.org).

There are certainly reasons why one might select a car manufacturer other than Aston Martin, but reliability isn't one of them anymore.

John

I'm on the list for one of the first Very excited

I am in my second year of ownership of a 07 AMV8, apart from the mandatory inspection at 1 year it has not seen the dealership. It is the most reliable new car I have purchased so far !!!!!

Around 1,000 miles my SS gearbox had a problem, that's it for now...

Sorry but the Jag doesn't do it for me... Lacking a touch of class somehow can't explain it.

Quote:
    SciFrog said:

Sorry but the Jag doesn't do it for me... Lacking a touch of class somehow can't explain it.

+1 regarding the Jag.

Thanks for your inputs all I feel more confident now and I might take the plunge for a 2009.

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Quote:
    Georgie997S said:

Have you sat in?
    Have you heard it?
    Have you tried it?

Cars are more than performance on a piece of paper, else we would all be driving Nissans... M3? Come on, here someone buying a AMV8 won't even consider buying an M3, sad but true. And the M3 isn't really faster anyway...

Back on the 09, nice improvements, but not enough to jump from an 08 Roadster to an 09. Extra torque at low RPM is nice, not a huge fan of the new console. If you wanted huge torque you would get a 997TT anyway.

Happy to see AM making changes every year and listening to costumers. Porsche could learn a lesson there.

When you spend a reasonable amount of money for a performance car then sitting in the car, watching the car, admiring the car, hearing the car is simply NOT ENOUGH. A Ferrari sounds incredible but it's definitely a performance car too. When you spend; you demand. That's the way it goes for all products including cars. If I had bought an AM I wouldn't want an M3 smoking me, although you underestimate the car... Sorry if I offended any AM fans, but this car shouldn't have been labeled as a performance car. It's not anyway. I think that the only person that would vote AM to be a winner among other performance cars is Jeremy Clarkson and maybe some actor in a James Bond movie...

Quote:
    Georgie997S said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Quote:
    Georgie997S said:

Have you sat in?
    Have you heard it?
    Have you tried it?

When you spend a reasonable amount of money for a performance car then sitting in the car, watching the car, admiring the car, hearing the car is simply NOT ENOUGH. A Ferrari sounds incredible but it's definitely a performance car too. When you spend; you demand. That's the way it goes for all products including cars. If I had bought an AM I wouldn't want an M3 smoking me, although you underestimate the car... Sorry if I offended any AM fans, but this car shouldn't have been labeled as a performance car. It's not anyway. I think that the only person that would vote AM to be a winner among other performance cars is Jeremy Clarkson and maybe some actor in a James Bond movie...

Is your opinion based on personal experiance or is just based on assumptions? Did you actualy drove one and raced it against an M3? where you disaointed in the way the AMV8 drives? I am not trying to be funny all I want is understand you point of view because I dont want to make an expancive mistake by regrating my purchase.

Quote:
    yarub1 said:
    Quote:
    Georgie997S said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Quote:
    Georgie997S said:

Have you sat in?
    Have you heard it?
    Have you tried it?

Is your opinion based on personal experiance or is just based on assumptions? Did you actualy drove one and raced it against an M3? where you disaointed in the way the AMV8 drives? I am not trying to be funny all I want is understand you point of view because I dont want to make an expancive mistake by regrating my purchase.

Yarub, I've got a friend that works in a famous car magazine and he actually drove quite a lot AMs. He's got a decent opinion for EVERY car just because he is the first to drive every car that is out in the market. If you talk to him about AMs he will reply like this: "I can't find a single reason for someone to choose an AM instead of ANY other car". When he test drove the AM lately he found out that that the car on the track was a disaster. He contacted AM dealer and explained the whole situation to him, regarding car's set-up and chassis. The dealer replied "no, it might be a coincidence or a faulty car... I'll check with AM to see what's wrong and I'll get back to you". He never replied... . My personal experience with AM is that I keep watching the car and see how it performs on the track towards other weaker cars and find the results awful. Also if you take the AM for a race against a 997 S (355hp) which is supposed to be a weaker car, you'll be surprised to see that the 997S will smoke the Aston. I won't talk about getting it on the track, 'cause there it will be a disaster for AM... Sorry but, that's the way it is really.

Quote:
    Georgie997S said:
    Quote:
    yarub1 said:
    Quote:
    Georgie997S said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Quote:
    Georgie997S said:

Have you sat in?
    Have you heard it?
    Have you tried it?

Yarub, I've got a friend that works in a famous car magazine and he actually drove quite a lot AMs. He's got a decent opinion for EVERY car just because he is the first to drive every car that is out in the market. If you talk to him about AMs he will reply like this: "I can't find a single reason for someone to choose an AM instead of ANY other car". When he test drove the AM lately he found out that that the car on the track was a disaster. He contacted AM dealer and explained the whole situation to him, regarding car's set-up and chassis. The dealer replied "no, it might be a coincidence or a faulty car... I'll check with AM to see what's wrong and I'll get back to you". He never replied... . My personal experience with AM is that I keep watching the car and see how it performs on the track towards other weaker cars and find the results awful. Also if you take the AM for a race against a 997 S (355hp) which is supposed to be a weaker car, you'll be surprised to see that the 997S will smoke the Aston. I won't talk about getting it on the track, 'cause there it will be a disaster for AM... Sorry but, that's the way it is really.

Road cars are for roads....race cars are for tracks. Who cares what the aston is like on the track. on the road it kicks arse...and pulls way harder than a porsche....if you know what i mean (just to draw the dots together for you.....the ladies).

Quote:
    jcparki said:
    Quote:
    Georgie997S said:
    Quote:
    yarub1 said:
    Quote:
    Georgie997S said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Quote:
    Georgie997S said:

Have you sat in?
    Have you heard it?
    Have you tried it?

Road cars are for roads....race cars are for tracks. Who cares what the aston is like on the track. on the road it kicks arse...and pulls way harder than a porsche....if you know what i mean (just to draw the dots together for you.....the ladies).

Yeah right... AMs kick some arses... In James Bond movies!!!! Also they kick some arses when you see some 70 year old retired lawyers on Saturday night in casinos trying to show off to some 25 year old girls with their AMs and they still think that AM stands for the radio frequency... Yeah there are a lot of AM fans really... I still haven't seen Mr. Bean driving one...I won't be surprised if I see that too... . Regarding the fact that a Vantage smokes a 997 S, yes that is true... Especially if the new Vantage has 2 large turbos installed, one in the car and one in the drivers arse...

Quote:
    Georgie997S said: ... I still haven't seen Mr. Bean driving one...I won't be surprised if I see that too ...

LOL. Did you know that the actor, Rowan Atkinson, who plays Mr Bean has several Astons in real life!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803828 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448693 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266294 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90148 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6720 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886010 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834026 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM