Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

The 997 has NO spare. Any ideas?

The 997 is now a very unreliable car. When you get a flat, you are stuck at the side of the road.

Hey, don't tell me to just call "Porsche roadside assistance" and have them help. I literally don't have _all__day_ to have someone else fix a problem that should normally take 15 minutes.

I think it is ABSOLUTELY STUUUPID to drive a car without having a spare on board.

That said, is there, or will there be, ANY compact spare tire and wheel which will fit the 997S?

I'm not buying the car without a 15 minute solution to a flat tire problem.

The "fix-a-flat" spray goo is NOT a solution IMO.

Re: The UNRELIABLE 997 has NO spare. Any ideas?

Just out of curiosity, have you had many flats with your car?

I personally never had a flat in any of my Porsche that owned but I understand your point too.

My driving is mostly within the city but if I were to drive it out of town or on a trip it would concern me too.

Enough complaints they may offer it later.

I think its a valid point to want a spare. Doesn't everyone have insurance, although I've never been in a wreck doesn't mean I won't go without insurance. And that's what a spare is for.

The bottled liquid that they provide does the job (reinflates the tire) within 3 minutes. Insert it into the air stem and press. Both of my Ferrari's have not had spares and it has never been a problem.

BTW, there is nothing more tragic than watching an owner of an expensive sport car changing a tire while out on a highway.Be a capitalist, pay or have someone else do it. If you have been successful enough to own a Porsche certainly you can leave tire changing to others. Where is your sense of dignity?

You're making your car buying decision on something that

might NEVER happen??? So you're worried about that ONE time where you maybe get a flat and have to wait vs. the hours and hours you'll spend driving and maybe enjoying a car??? Get some prozac and stop worrying about it...

If you have spare tire, you'll still have to drive to a tire place and pay to have the tire repaired and wait for them to replace it.

The car MIGHT get into an accident, so you should probably just not drive it at all.

"The bottled liquid that they provide does the job (reinflates the tire) within 3 minutes. Insert it into the air stem and press."

Actually it does a schitty job if you have a hole in the sidewall as we did in the M3 that also does not come with a spare. Instead of meeting my stranded pregnant wife for a 15 minute tire change so she could get on her way, it was a several hour ordeal which culminated in two trips to the car (the 2nd of which was to wait for the tow truck to take it to the tire shop - I didn't have an hour to wait when she was stranded in the heat and needed to be picked up) and full retail on a new tire since it had to be bought immediately in town. After a buttload of driving, several hours of invested time, and considerably more $ than TireRack charges for tires, the car was back on the road. No spare is bullschit and I don't think I want a daily driver without a spare again.

"Be a capitalist, pay or have someone else do it. If you have been successful enough to own a Porsche certainly you can leave tire changing to others"

And how exactly are "others" going to change the tire without towing it to a tire shop who "may" have the tire in stock? You know a lot of towing companies who are both able and willing to bring a spare (with rim) for a Ferrari or P-car to change?

I agree. I ordered a 997S but i do have a problem with the no spare thing. What if you have a blow out at night and the tire shops are closed? You're screwed....but hey, if enough people complain then Porsche may make a spare available...

Well in that case you get to have the car towed to the parking lot of the tire shop you want to get raped by (since you'll need to pay whatever they are asking for a tire) so it can sit all night and hopefully not get broken into or stolen. Then in the morning they "may" have the tire in stock for a silly price and you can make a trip to the tire shop to pick the car up (via cab or friend). Or, you can have the car towed twice (probably an hour wait each time) - once to your home (so it will be protected and you may find a tire) and then once to the tire shop where you still get to make another trip in a cab or with a friend to pick it up.

No spare with a blow out (or even a tire so badly damaged it won't hold air) is crap. What's the point? So Porsche can save a couple bucks and keep 25 to 50 lbs off the car?

I've had twice flat tyres on my Boxster S Really bad luck, once in Paris, a massive piece of glass, the second time, I just saw the hole, not the "thing" that caused it.
    So far, nothing on the 911, touch wood.
    BTW, had the spare tyre on the Boxster, and it is easy to change.

Sorry to hear what you went through ben .

I guess there are many factores that one needs to consider when ordering a car and this is one is rather an important one.

If Porsche didn't offer spare for GT2 or GT3 it was a different story, since you can tell they're not fully considered as daily drive but on a standard Carrera they should have.

I'm sure with more pressure from customers Porsche will come up with a solution.

May want to consider risk/reward of possibly being hit by passing car while changing own spare in roadside setting....

This MIGHT sound silly, but can't you just buy a spare and keep it in the trunk?:)

"This MIGHT sound silly, but can't you just buy a spare and keep it in the trunk?:)"

What a $1k+ full sized spare/rim + jack + lug wrench (total weight probably in excess of 75 lbs) that takes up the entire trunk? I don't see why they can't just offer (as a pay option if they can't afford to include it in the $70K+ car) the little donut spare with lightweight jack and lug wrench ala the setup in the 996.

Quote:
    ben, lj said:

And how exactly are "others" going to change the tire without towing it to a tire shop who "may" have the tire in stock? You know a lot of towing companies who are both able and willing to bring a spare (with rim) for a Ferrari or P-car to change?

I agree if the damage to the tire is substantial then the liquid does not work. However when you call in for a tow truck most operators know to bring a temp. spare which would fit on your car. Otherwise what is the point of the service call?

"However when you call in for a tow truck most operators know to bring a temp. spare which would fit on your car. Otherwise what is the point of the service call? "

Pretty close to NONE of them (including the ones accessable from the BMW and Porsche road side assistance numbers provided with the car - and most assuredly those picking up F-cars) have any such thing. Rather, their "point" is simply to put the car on the flat bed and tow it to the tire shop. BTW Nick, should you ever have a blow out after 6:00 PM (or whenever F-car service closes), it will be interesting to see how jovial you are about having your car left out in front of the F-car service dept all night or better yet out in front of Discount tires. Knowing you, you wouldn't get 2 min sleep that night. But hey, maybe you'll get lucky and it will be mid day when your tire becomes unable to receive air. Then you can just sit for an hour waiting for the tow truck, call a cab, lose the time you could be billing clients, take another cab back out to pick up the car when it's ready a few hours later (IF they have a tire in stock). I'm sure you'll still be singing the praises of no spare after just such an experience.

Quote:
    If you have been successful enough to own a Porsche certainly you can leave tire changing to others. Where is your sense of dignity?

Have someone else change your tire while you stand and watch? How embarrassing! It would be different if I was incapable of changing the tire. If I was able to change it, but chose to have someone else to do the dirty work for me, that would be the greater loss of dignity for me.

This is the most stupid comment i have ever heard/read...!!

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    "This MIGHT sound silly, but can't you just buy a spare and keep it in the trunk? "
    What a $1k+ full sized spare/rim + jack + lug wrench (total weight probably in excess of 75 lbs) that takes up the entire trunk?

No, just the little rubber donut

Quote:
    avedon said:

I attached a large smiley to it. It was a tongue in cheek remark. God you guy's have to lighten up.!

I've had a flat on my Carrera as well as my Cayenne S. (not to mention my Jaguar)

I must be driving on all the wrong streets.

Coming from you is unpredictable when you're talking for real or not.

BTW, i hope you were really kidding.

Nick I think you're being a bit paranoid, I think Avedon's response was to the entire thread subject.

I can't blame you, its natural to feel like that once one is always in the firing line, I should know.

I read someplace - I can not now find where - that Porsche removed the spare for a variety of reasons:
    1. Removing spare tire/wheel and jack saves 10kg (22 lbs)
    2. There is not room to carry the larger wheels now being used as standard when one is removed from the car.
    3. The risk of tire puncture is becoming smaller all the time.

At least they did not opt for the run-flat tire on the 911.

Quote:
    3. The risk of tire puncture is becoming smaller all the time.

And what proof of this do you have?

I don't need Prozac, flats happen. Why not disable the airbag as well, right? Don't ride with your seat belts either. Nothing will happen.

Why is it every other car comes with a spare if tire punctures are becoming smaller?

Re: The UNRELIABLE 997 has NO spare. Texas911

I was merely pointing out what was purported to be Porsche's reasoning for removing a spare.

Sharp pointy objects will remain on our roads spare or no spare. Some will find their way into tires - even Porsche tires.

I walk 4 miles in my development every morning. I am amazed at the number of nails I have found in the streets of an established residential neighborhood. More heavily traveled roads see many more I am sure.

Porsche Speak:
    With the risk of a tyre puncture becoming smaller all the time these days, and with a spare wheel, tools and a car jack meaning extra weight, the new 911 Carrera for the first time dispenses with all these features. Mobility in the event of an emergency is ensured instead by a tyre sealant and an electrical compressor. This allows adequate repair of small punctures such as a nail, the driver filling the tyre sealant into the hole before proceeding at reduced speed (not more than 80 km/h or 50 mph) to the nearest Porsche Centre, without damaging the wheel, let alone the car itself, in the process. Leaving out the emergency wheel and car jack, the weight of the car is reduced by approximately 10 kilos or 22 lb.

Supposed to work for punctures up to 0.15in (4mm)
    Now you have a tyre filled with goo.. No fix just replace

Quote:
    avedon said:

I agree! This in no way makes the 997 "UNRELIABLE"! Find a custom spare, or go buy another car with a spare. I am not to worried about the 2 hours it might cost me for countless hours of enjoyment.

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    "However when you call in for a tow truck most operators know to bring a temp. spare which would fit on your car. Otherwise what is the point of the service call? "

Pretty close to NONE of them (including the ones accessable from the BMW and Porsche road side assistance numbers provided with the car - and most assuredly those picking up F-cars) have any such thing. Rather, their "point" is simply to put the car on the flat bed and tow it to the tire shop. BTW Nick, should you ever have a blow out after 6:00 PM (or whenever F-car service closes), it will be interesting to see how jovial you are about having your car left out in front of the F-car service dept all night or better yet out in front of Discount tires. Knowing you, you wouldn't get 2 min sleep that night. But hey, maybe you'll get lucky and it will be mid day when your tire becomes unable to receive air. Then you can just sit for an hour waiting for the tow truck, call a cab, lose the time you could be billing clients, take another cab back out to pick up the car when it's ready a few hours later (IF they have a tire in stock). I'm sure you'll still be singing the praises of no spare after just such an experience.

Ben,
    You forget Nick has the best road assiatance in the world therefore his lack of worries... FIAT's road assiatance!

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:

Ben,
    You forget Nick has the best road assiatance in the world therefore his lack of worries... FIAT's road assiatance!

Carlos you are priceless!

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:

Ben,

Carlos you are priceless!

Indeed!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763978 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436280 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260946 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257888 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82593 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876663 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808660 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM