Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Facelift timeline

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Yes, it's a kind of dilemma for the traditional media
    And it's even more complicated because if they would use leaked infos from the net they can't know whether the info is authentic or fake

BTW today is the 25th anniversary of the publication of Hitler's diaries I loved the film about this crazy stunt

But in this case my guess is they have the info, or at least they could quite easily check it, but the scoop for them is anyway jeopardised.

Quote:
    Ziggy said:
    But in this case my guess is they have the info, or at least they could quite easily check it, but the scoop for them is anyway jeopardised.

Fully agree, Ziggy - whatever they do, they can't win. A loose-loose situation so to say

Quote:
    haudimal said:
    Funny, they produce the FL 997 C2S since 21. of April

This may well be the case - some countries get face-lift models before others do..

Re: Facelift details

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    The Groom said:
    Did anyone notice that: LSD standard on C4 models?
    (optional on C2)
    Sports suspension with LSD now available in the US!

Yes, but the original sport suspension was without PASM.

Correct The devil is in the detail.

I am assuming that PASM (-10mm) still continues as before but that the P17 -20mm conventionally sprung sports suspension is now replaced with a PASM based -20mm sports suspension.

I'm interested to see how the DFI will feel and how much the +30bhp on the S model with PDK will improve performance.

The idea of an upshift indicator seems to be a sop to the environmental lobby. An owner will find it a bit annoying to see a light keep coming on which will be constantly ignored if you're driving at higher revs. But I guess it's a good innovation for keeping commuting costs down.

I don't quite understand yet how you have Drive Off Assist AND Launch Control (if you have both PDK and Sport Chrono Package Plus). Do they perform the same function? Maybe LC is more extreme?

Is it right to assume that the PTM is the same as the TT? If so, that's a really great improvement. I think the AWD versions are much more attractive now than they were before. As it turns out, the 4/4S strip will be red! If I were buying (a non-997TT) today, I would be considering a C4S or T4S.

I can imagine that the fact that a mechanical LSD is now more easily available on the 997 will mean that the facelifted Cayman S will also (finally) get the rear LSD it has been yearning for.

I would be interested to see what the new alloy wheel designs look like. Plus the brake discs on the 3.6L models seem to be very similar (in size only) to the pre-facelift S models.

I am interested to see what all the improved interior gadgets will be like: touchscreen PCM, DVD drive (but audio only). I assume Voice Control became possible because PAG finally improved the noise cancelling software. I know they had originally planned to introduce Voice Control back in MY2006 but it never happened because (I assume) it didn't work well due to ambient noise. But since PAG improved the noise cancelling software on the telephone module, I assume they applied the same technology to the Voice Control system too.

Finally, Bluetooth phone connectivity so you can use your own mobile in the car...Interestingly, the 6CD autochanger appears now to support mp3 CDs. Finally iPod integration! Although watching TV shouldn't be that important, I think it's great that there is a built in digital DVB satellite tuner. Great for accessing free satellite channels (through Freeview in the UK). I assume one won't be able to watch while moving.

PAG has played a major catch up game regarding the in-car technology that one just takes for granted in a BMW or Audi.

I hope the new multifunction wheels have the 'swollen thumb bits'. I am not optimistic about that though. Now that the volcano grey PCM is going to be replaced with a black painted plastic PCM, this will make it blend less well with colours like cocoa (that I have). Black and brown don't mix IMHO. It might force one to pick a Porsche Exclusive trim for the PCM if choosing cocoa or natural brown. I'm a bit disappointed that Slate Grey is becoming a paint to sample option. That was a lovely colour IMO.

The new key hopefully won't be activated as easily as the present one. But finally 7 speed PDK!!! I think I will be very tempted to get a facelifted 997TT with PDK when it eventually comes out (hopefully MY10?).

BTW what is the function of the 'Sport Plus' button? I wonder what that could be in a NA car?

So much info to digest I'm so glad that the cosmetic changes are the smallest aspects. The real changes seem to be under the skin in the engine compartment and regarding the in-car tech

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    The new key hopefully won't be activated as easily as the present one. But finally 7 speed PDK!!! I think I will be very tempted to get a facelifted 997TT with PDK when it eventually comes out (hopefully MY10?).

I'm thinking about this also. My warranty expires around the 2010 timeframe. Can't wait to hear the reviews of the PDK before that.

Many of these "creature comfort" things on the 997 MkII are probably a result of Porsche now being able to pick and choose out of the VW parts bin at will!

BTW: I think the term 997 MKII is a better description of this car than 997 Face Lift, because as we see now , there is much more than just new headlights and taillights.

Good point Henceforth, I will only call it 997 MkII.

I think it has all the ingredients to be a great success. The only thing is how it will stack up against the competition in the worsening economic climate...

Quote:
    Orient Express said:
    Many of these "creature comfort" things on the 997 MkII are probably a result of Porsche now being able to pick and choose out of the VW parts bin at will!

Yes yes the VAG collaboration allow Porsche to stomp into Audi or VW's R&D head quarter, shove a USB key into a computer and walk away with any goodies they might desire.

As for the leak I can't see Porsche having anything to do with it. I can't think of any logical reason why they would want to spill all the beans a few months before the car id due launch. The leaked information is basically a summerised version of the press release.

TT

Nice find!

Excited to see when the turbo MKII will be on sale....

Quote:
    BiTurbo said:

kashmir:
    ...could this be the new Aqua Blue Metallic ?

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

I am interested to see what all the improved interior gadgets will be like: touchscreen PCM, DVD drive (but audio only).

Here's a pic of the PCM.

bet that exhaust sounds meaner too on the tt

997.2 Brochure

Let's hope a nice person now also leaks a sales brochure urgently, so that all will be revealed.
    Anyone listenin?

Re: 997.2 Brochure

Unfortunately, these details are being retracted elsewhere upon the request of PCNA.

Why doesnt that pdf mention changes to the Turbo?

NO. Turbo will be changed for MY2010. That means May 2009...

With PDK will there be paddle shifters or steering wheel tilt/button as in the current 997 steering wheel?

Something in-between... Paddle buttons... This stupid thing is the only thing that I do not like about PDK...

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

Ouch. Feel bad for the guys that passed on a MY07/08 because they were expecting a newer version for MY09.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Something in-between... Paddle buttons... This stupid thing is the only thing that I do not like about PDK...

Paddle buttons? Could you be more specific? In my opinion there stilll needs to be a level of driver involvement in changing gears even with PDK. Ideally that would be big paddle shifters ala F430. 'Buttons' dont do it for me.

I can not describe better. Did you saw the pic of Panamera steering wheel? Somehting pretty similar will be on FL997 PDK steering wheel.

Paddles a la F430F1 are definitely a NO, NO...

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

They HAVE to include PCM3 though in MY09...
    That would be stupid...
    Keep the DI engine for MY10.
    And if they sort out the PTM on MY09, that would be the best TT with the last GT1 derived engine and no PDK...

My guess is PDK is not ready for the TT, and TT cab is still too new, so they have to wait one year.

According to my dealer (who pretty much got the info on the MY09 non turbo's correct) the following changes are going to be made on the 09 TT:

- center console + PCM upgraded
    - "big ear" wing mirrors
    - rear lights
    - BIG PRICE HIKE!

No changes to the engine or power output.
    No PDK yet.

Quote:
    Seraphim said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

Paddle buttons? Could you be more specific? In my opinion there stilll needs to be a level of driver involvement in changing gears even with PDK. Ideally that would be big paddle shifters ala F430. 'Buttons' dont do it for me.

If you go back in this thread, you will find a pic of a Mini-steering wheel, which should look rather similar to the forthcoming PDK-puddles, err, paddles.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

Wait until you try it. There must be a good reason behind this different system. Also with PDK the driver can shift using the stick too.
    Moreover with the "buttons" you can change up or down using any of the two. No dedicated + or - paddles like other systems. IMO more Porsche system will be more practical.
    Don't forget that Walter himself signed it off

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

Wait until you try it. There must be a good reason behind this different system. Don't forget that Walter signed it off
    Also with PDK the driver can shift using the stick too.

We will see. Just I belive in God. I do not belive in Rohrl...

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

Wait until you try it. There must be a good reason behind this different system. Don't forget that Walter signed it off
    Also with PDK the driver can shift using the stick too.

We will see. Just I belive in God. I do not belive in Rohrl...

Rohrl is god as far as cars are concerned

For you apparently... Not for me.

Teething problems?

Lots of new technology in 997.2. DI, PDK, PCM, Bluetooth etc etc.
    Would you all be worried that teething problems might arise during the first MY? Would you take the risk or wait a bit longer to purchase?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    802825 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448442 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265975 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89979 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6450 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885471 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832566 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM